Author Topic: Sources: Fulop to call off run for governor, endorse Murphy  (Read 3744 times)

Online M«A

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Steve Fulop, we hardly knew ye
« Reply #6 on: 10-03-2016, 12:00pm »

Read more:

Steve Fulop, we hardly knew ye
By  Drew Sheneman | The Star-Ledger
on October 01, 2016 at 8:00 AM, updated October 01, 2016 at 8:05 AM

Online M«A

• Administrator
    • View Profile

"Three years ago, residents of Jersey City gave me the opportunity to be mayor, and I have been thankful every day since for that privilege. While we have made great strides forward, I also realize that there is still work that needs to be done. That is why I announced my plans to run for re-election as mayor of Jersey City. My hope is that you will give us the chance to continue the incredible progress we have made during the past three years.

Jersey City has led New Jersey on countless issues during the past three years, from open space initiatives, to housing starts, to job creation, to paid sick leave, to the minimum wage... the list goes on and on. While there is more work to be done, I am proud of what we have accomplished so far, and know that we can build on this success with a second term.

My commitment to Jersey City has never been stronger, and I hope our residents are willing to give me an opportunity to continue moving our city forward.

I love Jersey City, and I know we will continue the progress towards an even better city."

Offline AgentCooper

• View Profile
This is going to get interesting. Wildstein claims Fulop sought Port Authority grant money for Urban League of Hudson County in exchange for Cunningham staying out of mayoral race.
https://twitter.com/andrewseidman/status/781513754601254912

Online M«A

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fulop announces re-election bid, ending flirtation with governor run
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
on September 28, 2016 at 3:42 PM, updated September 28, 2016 at 4:37 PM

JERSEY CITY ó Mayor Steve Fulop ended his three-year flirtation with a 2017 gubernatorial run this afternoon, saying during a brief address in front of City Hall that he will instead seek re-election as mayor and back Democrat Phil Murphy's bid to become governor.

Speaking to a group of about 100 city workers, members of the press and curious onlookers, Fulop said he wanted to avoid a "bloody" Democratic primary next year and continue what he called the "progress" his administration has made in Jersey City since he was elected mayor three years ago.

"Over the last couple weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking about what's in the best interests of Jersey City, what's in the best interests of the state of New Jersey and where I am situated that I can be most meaningfully helpful to moving an agenda forward that's progressive," he said.

Today's announcement stunned New Jersey political observers who had been bracing for a showdown in next year's Democratic primary for governor. It also shocked many of Fulop's closest allies, who sources say had been kept in the dark about the decision until this morning. As Fulop spoke this afternoon, his aides and allies looked crestfallen.

[...]

Murphy, a former U.S. ambassador to Germany and ex-Goldman Sachs executive, appeared by Fulop's side today. He blasted "the failed leadership" in Trenton and vowed to eradicate "special-interest politics.

"I want to thank Mayor Steve Fulop for sharing my commitment, my deep commitment, our deep commitment to unifying the Democratic Party and getting our state back on track," Murphy said. Read more

Online M«A

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'd like to think he's doing this just to fuck over Bill Matsikoudis, a.k.a. Salacious B Crumb to :healy:'s Jabba the Hutt. Which I fully support.
« Last Edit: 09-28-2016, 12:06pm by MCAô »

Online M«A

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sources: Fulop to call off run for governor, endorse Murphy
« Reply #1 on: 09-28-2016, 09:53am »
By MATT FRIEDMAN 09/28/16 08:52 AM EDT

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop will not run for governor in 2017 and will instead endorse Democratic rival Phil Murphy, sources tell POLITICO New Jersey.

The shocking development comes after the 39-year-old mayor has spent the last three years positioning himself to seek the Democratic gubernatorial nomination, currying favor with Democratic leaders around the state as his allies set up a multi-million dollar super PAC expected to boost the bid.

Fulop has announced a 2 p.m. press conference on the steps of City Hall in Jersey City. Two sources with knowledge of the plans said he will throw his support to Murphy, a millionaire former U.S. ambassador to Germany and the only formally declared candidate for governor.

Fulop, who was elected mayor in 2013, was considered all but certain to run and at times considered a frontrunner for the post. He initially said he planned to make a decision about running for governor in December.

But the mayor also figures largely into the ongoing Bridgegate trial, potentially testifying about how Gov. Chris Christieís campaign manager and aide at the Port Authority used a job Fulop had taken at a car-import related business that leased space from the agency to pressure him to endorse Christieís 2013 reelection. Fulop did not endorse Christie, which prosecutors say led to Christieís cabinet members canceling meetings with the mayor.

Meanwhile, Murphy has been picking off several Democratic endorsements in Bergen County, which had been considered strong Fulop territory in a statewide run.

Fulop also faced criticism when his alliesí super PAC accepted $1.4 million in anonymous sources, $1 million of which was later revealed to be from for-profit hospital owner Vivek Garipalli, whose company Fulopís administration had attempted to award an ambulance contract.

Fulopís support of Murphy ó of whom heís been highly critical ó could consolidate North Jersey Democrats, setting up a potential clash between North Jersey Democratic power brokers and George Norcross, the millionaire insurance executive and political patron of Senate President Stephen Sweeney, who has also been laying the groundwork for a run.

Fulopís decision could also head off messy down-ballot primary battles for Senate, Assembly and freeholder seats throughout much of the state as different slates align with different candidates for governor.

Fulop did not immediately respond to a call to his cell phone.

Read more

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

« Reply #1 on: 09-28-2016, 09:53am »