Author Topic: Bistro at Grove Square  (Read 11216 times)

Online Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
Re: Bistro at Grove Square
« Reply #47 on: 01-09-2014, 02:17pm »
I hate it when brokers accidentally list my property for sale, complete with photos of the inside.
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 01-09-2014, 01:47pm »
Good job wiredjc.com twitter guy.

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 01-09-2014, 01:41pm »
Hmmm...

Offline devb

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 01-08-2014, 10:13am »
I'm sure the square/triangle will look great with papered over empty storefronts.

Online Bobblehead

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 01-08-2014, 10:10am »
They're going to cover it on ABC?
Sanctimonious bleater.

Offline glx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 01-08-2014, 10:05am »
Maybe this was Favia's plan all along, same as with the Powerhouse Lounge -- open a place, flip it, move on to the next thing. Though I don't know whatever happened with the Lounge. If he gets his asking price for the Bistro, can we argue against his business bona fides?

By his own admission, the Lounge was never all that successful and his "partners" bled most of the money out of it.

He seemed to be pretty cash poor when he bounced our security deposit refund 3 times.  From what he told me months before it opened it sounded like he was getting himself in way over his head; I'm assuming he either sells the place (for not much more than he put into it) or it goes Ch7.

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01-08-2014, 09:57am »
Maybe this was Favia's plan all along, same as with the Powerhouse Lounge -- open a place, flip it, move on to the next thing. Though I don't know whatever happened with the Lounge. If he gets his asking price for the Bistro, can we argue against his business bona fides?

Then why would he bother having hissy fits over lunch trucks, music, and park benches?

Nobody is going to buy it without looking at the books so it can’t bleed too much cash, but the owner had already worked to maximize profit by serving plates of garbage.  What comes after that but weird half-measures?  It’s a strange phenomenon that seems uniquely popular in the restaurant world.  In most other types of business, owners try to maintain their competitiveness by selling a quality product.

Unfortunately, I have the feeling that a restaurateur who cares about food would probably have a difficult time making such a large space worth the expense, at least for now.

Offline devb

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01-07-2014, 09:30pm »

Then why would he bother having hissy fits over lunch trucks, music, and park benches?

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01-07-2014, 03:19pm »

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01-07-2014, 02:51pm »
Looks like my boycott worked.
You are one powerful man, stephen.
[02:35 PM] jehu: and the only people on here who gives good advice are few.
[Today at 08:56 am] Darna: bang mi is the best sandwich ever

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01-07-2014, 02:49pm »
Looks like my boycott worked.

Online Bobblehead

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01-07-2014, 10:52am »
Oh, gee. Look what is for sale.  :kindelan:
Sanctimonious bleater.

Offline glx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Grove Square Restaurant
« Reply #35 on: 06-25-2013, 05:42pm »
I suppose I can't really fault a place for the douchenozzle level of their clientele

The owner (Jeff Favia) is a perfect example of a douchenozzle, so expect him to cater to that crowd

If they can lose the attitude

Unlikely, have you ever stepped foot into Powerhouse Lounge?

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06-24-2013, 07:06pm »
We ask the bartender, politely, "Can you please top this up" and get the reply "Oh that's the way we always pour it here". 

Hey man, have some respect for their week-long tradition.

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06-24-2013, 04:50pm »
"Really?  Like this is..... fuckin like.... like.... people actually live here?"

The longer we can keep certain people believing Jersey City to be a hell hole, the better.

That's it, no more SeeClickFix'ing for me!

Offline devb

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06-24-2013, 04:27pm »
"Really?  Like this is..... fuckin like.... like.... people actually live here?"

The longer we can keep certain people believing Jersey City to be a hell hole, the better.

Online Bobblehead

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06-24-2013, 04:24pm »
That block originally was the location of a Church's Fried Chicken, I think. So, it is CuRsEd GrOuNd.
Sanctimonious bleater.

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
« Reply #30 on: 06-24-2013, 04:08pm »
I decided to check out Grove Sq with a friend yesterday.  We both ordered the same beer, might have been Allagash but I don't really remember, I know it was 8 bucks a pop and came in a fat bottomed brandy glass.  Mine was filled almost to the brim whilst my friend's glass had 3 inches of foam on top and was about 3/4 full.  We ask the bartender, politely, "Can you please top this up" and get the reply "Oh that's the way we always pour it here".  I point out that I have the same beer and the glass is filled differently and she makes a face like a bulldog licking piss off a cactus then fills the glass.

This all happens within the first 5 minutes of setting foot in the place and makes us feel real fecking welcome. 

A few minutes later some drunk douchebag who looks like a mannequin from an Old Navy store but possesses considerably less of a personality, decides he wants to make conversation.

"Where you from...?"

"Jersey City"

"Yes we do.  Where are you from?"

"HOBOKEN!  I FUCKIN LOVE IT MAAANN!"

My mouth was forming the shape required to say "Please please fuck off and die a horrible death" but I decided it wasn't worth it.

I suppose I can't really fault a place for the douchenozzle level of their clientele so in the interest of fairness I will say they did do a really nice job on the space and I like the faux old looking bar. One thing that was weird is that the walls are completely covered with white subway tiles which gives the appearance of eating dinner in a giant bathroom.   As for the food, it looked decent enough.  If they can lose the attitude and start asking for proof of address before letting people in then I would probably go back, if only for the convenient location.
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline moelissa

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06-21-2013, 04:39pm »
Classy!! Sounds like a place I'd like to visit.  ???
[08:02PM] MacabreJS: I HAVE COOTIES

Offline glx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06-21-2013, 04:31pm »
No website??

No, Jeff doesn't believe in email, either.  He does believe in bouncing checks.

Offline moelissa

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06-21-2013, 03:55pm »
No website??
[08:02PM] MacabreJS: I HAVE COOTIES

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06-21-2013, 10:27am »
Pro tip: If you advertise a speakeasy, it isn't a speakeasy. It's simply a club in a basement.

Tell me about it.  Just the other day, the manager at Hopscotch threw me out for drawing squares on the floor with chalk.  Talk about bogus advertising.

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06-21-2013, 09:47am »
There used to be a park bench 20 feet in front of his establishment. He cut the bolts and moved it. Yes, this is the person we're dealing with. And now he has a liqueur license. If you think it's bad now, just wait until he starts terrorizing the residents of Bay Street with his "wine bar" entrance and then his so-called "speakeasy." (Pro tip: If you advertise a speakeasy, it isn't a speakeasy. It's simply a club in a basement.)

Jeff needs a serious attitude adjustment. He needs to understand that success of his business is directly related and reliant on the social capital built by organizations such as the HDSID that produces the farmer's market and Groove on Grove. And if it wasn't for the community efforts of the Harsimus Cove Association, there would be no Fitzgerald-Holota Plaza for him to profit off of.

I've been watching Jeff build that place out for months. He's put a lot of work into it, a great vision. That location has been empty for years and desperately needs a community-minded social business to complement the plaza.

Offline craigslistdiva

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06-21-2013, 09:33am »
It's open! Has anyone been yet?

Yes! I went there for drinks on Friday. Food service was to start on Wed/Thurs. Loved it. Great vibe.

The manager advised that the menu will be 100% available within a week or two; the wine bar should open in 4 -6 weeks and the downstairs will be closer to the end of the year. Sad to hear the whiskey bar will open next year :(

Waiting for the whiskey bar/lounge to open soon!

Offline glx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06-20-2013, 08:48pm »
It's open! Has anyone been yet?

No, but the owner likes to bounce checks. 

Who knows what else he's cutting corners on. 

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

« Reply #23 on: 06-20-2013, 08:48pm »