Linked Events

• FeStA!!11!1!! :gun:: 08-12-2015 - 08-16-2015

Author Topic: 'La Festa Italiana' to rock Downtown Jersey City next week  (Read 6498 times)

Offline moelissa

• View Profile
Re: 'La Festa Italiana' to rock Downtown Jersey City next week
« Reply #17 on: 08-18-2015, 10:47am »
I was so happy on Sunday when this ended.
[08:02PM] MacabreJS: I HAVE COOTIES

Offline Sue2dRescue

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08-10-2015, 05:26pm »
Statement from HRC / La Festa Italiana:

"Good news, after concern from the neighborhood and reconsideration on our part, we have cancelled the Balloon release. What we thought was a touching tribute does have negative affects on the environment. Please let anyone else know of our decision and of course we can't wait to see you at La Festa! Thanks for your support."

Thank you HRC and Festa for being understanding. SUPPORT FESTA!

As Sue, who brought up this topic to the organizers of Festa a while ago, would say, "OUTSTANDING!"

OUTSTANDING!
"If one studies too zealously, one easily loses his pants." -Albert Einstein

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08-10-2015, 09:18am »
Awesome! Diplomacy shlomacy.

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08-07-2015, 12:58pm »

"Good news, after concern from the neighborhood and reconsideration on our part, we have cancelled the Balloon release. What we thought was a touching tribute does have negative affects on the environment. Please let anyone else know of our decision and of course we can't wait to see you at La Festa! Thanks for your support."

As Sue, who brought up this topic to the organizers of Festa a while ago, would say, "OUTSTANDING!"

Offline devb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08-07-2015, 12:24pm »

Offline jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08-07-2015, 12:20pm »
Why not get the city involved? They need a permit for the Festa, let the city bring up the impact releasing balloons will have on local wildlife.
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm… I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08-07-2015, 11:57am »
People have attempted to talk to them in the past about the issues surrounding the balloon release and were met with blank stares. In my personal communication to them I made sure to mention that I was a close neighbor of the church and a longtime supporter of Festa. As of this writing I have not heard of a single response being given to the issue by HRC or Festa organizers. I appreciate your point, however.

Hmm… in that case, perhaps a bottle of brandy, a panforte and a few tears would help them understand. My people are suckers for fruitcake and melodrama.

Offline Sue2dRescue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08-07-2015, 11:45am »
Why not release monarchs? Do something positive for the environment and a threatened species.

Offline Binky

• View Profile
You people are part of the war on Christianity.  Cyber bullies!
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline Sue2dRescue

• View Profile
I addressed my concerns about this with the organizers as well two years ago. I thought they had stopped the practice. Unbelievable.

Offline jehu

• View Profile
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm… I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline moelissa

• View Profile
Why can't they use confetti cannons? At least then they can sweep it up later.

Offline devb

• View Profile
People have attempted to talk to them in the past about the issues surrounding the balloon release and were met with blank stares. In my personal communication to them I made sure to mention that I was a close neighbor of the church and a longtime supporter of Festa. As of this writing I have not heard of a single response being given to the issue by HRC or Festa organizers. I appreciate your point, however.

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
Pressure... or convince? Of course balloon releases should be a thing of the past and you’re justified in urging La Festa to do the right thing, but if you want to achieve something positive, a message that’s negative and confrontational may not be best the way to go about it. It’s taken me a long time—too long—to understand that diplomacy is a thing, so it’s hypocritical of me to even mention it, but you may consider opening with an appreciation for their efforts, compassion for their love of the dearly departed, and the acknowledgement that balloons are wonderful objects with relevant symbolism. Be an understanding neighbor first, then talk about the effect on the environment and wildlife, and what they can do to help.

If that doesn’t work, you could always threaten to release hundreds of the tackiest Mylar balloons you can find, inside the church.

Offline devb

• View Profile
It's time to pressure Festa to end the memorial balloon release ceremony.

If you have a minute, please send a note to holyrosarychurch@gmail.com expressing your opposition to this practice, or feel free to copy and paste the letter below with your name added on.

You can also contact La Festa Italiana on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LaFestaItaliana and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/lafestaitalianajc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am writing this letter to ask the Holy Rosary Church and La Festa Italiana organizers to end the Memorial Balloon practice in which helium balloons are released into Jersey City's environment in the form of a memorial ceremony.

Balloon release ceremonies present a major threat to avian and marine life in Jersey City and surrounding areas. These wildlife populations are already suffering major losses due to environmental pollution, habitat loss, and other factors. A growing number of states are implementing bans on balloon releases because of the deaths and injuries they bring to wildlife.

The Memorial Balloon ceremony should be ended immediately. It is not an appropriate way to commemorate the lives of loved ones.

Sincerely,

Here are some resources concerning the threat of balloon releases:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/environment/animals/ban-balloons-to-save-birds-say-scientists-20150519-gh4tef.html
http://us.whales.org/blog/dustincirce/2013/10/plastic-balloons-and-other-marine-debris-oh-my
http://www.seaturtlehospital.org/shacklefordIII.html
http://wildshores.blogspot.com/2011/01/do-balloon-releases-kill-marine-life.html
http://wildsingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/06/litter-threatens-sea-turtle-survival.html
http://research.pomona.edu/karnolab/2009/06/03/operation-balloon-recovery/
http://www.examiner.com/environmental-policy-in-honolulu/balloons-kill-marine-animals
http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/balloon-releases827.html#cr
« Last Edit: 08-06-2015, 03:26pm by devb »

Offline moelissa

• View Profile
Make sure you wear your elastic waist pants!!!

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
'La Festa Italiana' to rock Downtown Jersey City next week
« Reply #1 on: 08-04-2015, 12:23pm »
By Nicholas Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal
on August 04, 2015 at 10:15 AM, updated August 04, 2015 at 10:16 AM

For five summer nights, the neighborhood surrounding Holy Rosary Church will come alive with music, games of chance, kids' activities, and delicious Italian food and drinks.

It all takes place Aug. 12 through Aug. 16 at Holy Rosary Church on Sixth Street in Historic Downtown Jersey City celebrates 112 years of bringing its community together for lively summer fun with its annual La Festa Italiana.

The old world Italian feast honors the veneration of Maria SS. Dell'Assunta and St. Rocco, offers the Downtown community the opportunity to party with their neighbors. This year's festival will feature live bands, food and souvenir vendors, as well as traditional fare like fresh zeppoles, rice balls and limoncello.

The festival runs from 5 to 11 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday, and from noon to 9 p.m. on Sunday when the "Super 50/50" Raffle winner will be chosen. Last year's ticket-holder won over $12,200.

Founded in 1885, Holy Rosary Church is the first Italian Roman Catholic Parish in New Jersey.

Read more

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

« Reply #1 on: 08-04-2015, 12:23pm »