Author Topic: Garbage men wanted free booze to take out trash, bar owner says  (Read 3735 times)

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Garbage man fired over Jersey City bar shakedown claims
« Reply #6 on: 09-03-2015, 11:54am »
Garbage man fired over Jersey City bar shakedown claims
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
on September 03, 2015 at 11:32 AM, updated September 03, 2015 at 11:38 AM

A garbage man accused of trying to extort free booze from a Downtown bar owner has been fired, one week after The Jersey Journal first reported on the owner's allegations.

"We did what we felt was appropriate," said Peter Roselle, head of waste management company Regional Industries. "We weren't happy with what we saw."

Pint owner Wolf Sterling has alleged the garbage man said twice that he would no longer haul the bar's recycling away unless Sterling gave him and his crew liquor. Sterling has posted surveillance footage of the two interactions there is video but no audio on Facebook, prompting an outcry in Jersey City and beyond.

Regional Industries has a $9.2 million contract with the Jersey City Incinerator Authority to dispose of the city's garbage and recycling.

There is a second Regional worker featured in the surveillance footage, but Roselle said the man who was fired last night was the one who tried to make the deal for free booze. Read more

Offline HippyWitch

• View Profile
From Wolf's facebook page  ;D

Offline HippyWitch

• View Profile

Score one for the good guys:

Sometimes people deserve to get fired. Like the city contractor who tried to shakedown Pint and threatened my staff while on the city payroll. And guess what? Today he got fired.

Sometimes an investigation is a very good thing. Today the Jersey City police department assigned a detective to look into this incident.

Jersey City is damn cool. If you've never been you should. We have historic districts, a mural project encouraged by Mayor Steven Fulop that is filling the city with art, music festivals, delicious restaurants, and yes, a little bar that was the first place this side of the Hudson River to win the Good Beer Seal (ehem, that'd be Pint). And we have some amazingly hardworking city employees like our fire department that twice saved Pint from fires in adjacent businesses. I hate, hate, hate that a few bad actors still think it's the set for a Soprano's episode. And frankly, I'm glad this guy picked me because he picked the wrong grumpy old man to fuck with.

But wait - it wasn't me that made this happen. It was all of you. All my friends from across the country, strangers and neighbors who were as outraged as I was and who lit a fire under the city to take care of this. Really, several times this week I've nearly shed a tear at the kindness of strangers. I didn't actually shed a tear because I had my tear ducts surgically removed, but if I could (that's a joke).

I think it's important to acknowledge Terrence McDonald of NJ.com who was the first to give us some press, Candice Osborne who endured my anger and still did a great job, Council President Rolando Lavarro Jr. who is one cool dude, Mayor Steven Fulop who probably has been cursing my name all week as if his job wasn't already hard enough, and the folks at CBS New York. News 12 New Jersey, The Wall Street Journal, and Joe Jervis of JoeMyGod.

Finally during this incident I heard from lots and lots of Jersey City residents who say they believe the trash trucks in our city are often operated by intoxicated drivers. I told this to Peter Roselle, the president of Regional Industries, and I'm encouraging the city to start spot checks to see if this is true or not. Call me crazy, I'd rather enormous trash trucks be operated by people who are sober. Maybe being part of AA should be a requisite for that job.

Thanks everybody!

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Police probing Jersey City bar owner's shakedown claims
« Reply #3 on: 09-02-2015, 03:14pm »
Police probing Jersey City bar owner's shakedown claims
on September 02, 2015 at 1:52 PM, updated September 02, 2015 at 3:08 PM

JERSEY CITY Police have begun looking into a local bar owner's allegations that garbage men working on behalf of the Jersey City Incinerator Authority offered to keep taking out his trash only if he would provide them with free liquor.

The Jersey Journal first reported on the story on Friday. Early that morning, according to Pint owner Wolf Sterling, the men attempted to shake him down him a second time. The men were working for Regional Industries, which contracts with the JCIA to haul the city's garbage and recycling.

A JCIA worker obtained copies of surveillance footage Sterling said shows the interactions there is video but no sound and gave them to Jersey City police. An officer called a Jersey Journal reporter this morning seeking Sterling's contact information. Read more

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CBS2 Exclusive: Jersey City Bar Says Sanitation Workers Demanded Drinks For Trash Pickup (VIDEO)
September 1, 2015 11:09 PM

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (CBSNewYork) Sanitation workers in Jersey City are accused of refusing to take out the trash unless a bartender gave them drinks.

As CBS2s Tracee Carrasco reported exclusively Tuesday night, the Jersey City mayors office said firm that employs the workers is already in trouble.

The guy was so blatant, and he seemed to think in this day and age that he wouldnt get caught, said Wolf Sterling, owner of The Pint in Jersey City.

Sterling is fighting back against sanitation workers he claimed tried to shake down employees at his bar. It all started on Aug. 13, when surveillance video showed a man with the Jersey City Incinerator Authority walking up to the bar window and allegedly demanding that the employee step outside.

He informed my employee his supervisor told him he could no longer pick up our recycling, but he would do so if we bribed him with liquor, Sterling said.

The bartender refused, and the man promised to return. The worker is employed by the Jersey City Incinerator Authority, an independent agency contracted by the city.

When the worker returned last week, Sterling said his surveillance cameras captured the man once again demanding alcohol in exchange for doing his job.

They asked for liquor, and made it clear they would have to supply them liquor on a weekly basis for this gentleman and his entire truck in order for them to continue picking up our trash, Sterling said.

Sterling said when he tried to report the incident to the Jersey City Incinerator Authority, he was met with resistance.

They said that if I pursued the complaint that I would have city inspectors come through my business, so it was a threat not to pursue the complaint, he said.

Though the Jersey City Incinerator Authority picks up the citys trash and recyclables a representative of Mayor Steven Fulops office told CBS2 the agency is not managed by the city, and said, We are working to shut it down after a long history of corruption.

On July 4, workers from the agency were arrested for allegedly taking money in exchange for mixing construction debris with the citys trash.

It bothers me a lot that we have a few corrupt people who mar the reputation of other city employees and the city that so many of us love, Sterling said.

The city of Jersey City also said it is investigating this incident. CBS2 reached out to the Jersey City Incinerator Authority for its reaction to the claims, but did not hear back.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Garbage men wanted free booze to take out trash, N.J. bar owner says
on August 28, 2015 at 11:44 AM, updated August 28, 2015 at 4:15 PM

JERSEY CITY The owner of a Downtown bar is alleging that city agency contractors tried to shake him down for free booze in exchange for continuing to haul his recyclables away.

Wolf Sterling, owner of Pint on Wayne Street, said the two men approached one of his bartenders in the early-morning hours of Aug. 14 and said they weren't allowed to take his refuse anymore but they would keeping doing it for free liquor.

Sterling said the two men work for Regional Industries, which the autonomous Jersey City Incinerator Authority pays $9.2 million annually to haul the city's garbage and recyclables. The bar owner took his complaint to social media, recounting his allegations on Facebook, when his complaints to the JCIA went nowhere, he said.

"If you don't make a fuss over something, it just continues," he told The Jersey Journal.

Peter Roselle, Regional's president, said he is looking into the accusations, which he called "unacceptable."

"I don't want employees such as that working for my company," Roselle said. "We don't condone that."

Sterling said once his bartenders told the men he'd have to talk to his manager, the men took the recycling away. Read more

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums