Author Topic: Disposing of an old Air Conditioner  (Read 4523 times)

Offline fasteddie

• View Profile
Re: Disposing of old Hair Conditioner
« Reply #14 on: 09-15-2015, 06:37am »
The deep penetrating type is considered hazardous material. The city picks up hazmat once a year.

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
Re: Disposing of an old Air Conditioner
« Reply #13 on: 09-14-2015, 08:23pm »
Amazingly it was gone.  Gone like the JCIA will be.
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline Soshin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09-12-2015, 08:45am »
Thanks Rab.  I will call them (and no doubt waste my time because they will leave the damn thing on the sidewalk anyway).

Document the call so they can't fine you when it isn't picked up.

Let it be recorded here that it has been scheduled for pick-up this sunday with Collette @ JCIA.

I will post a photo of it in front of my house on Monday.
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09-11-2015, 03:06pm »
Lock it to a bike rack in Journal Square.
[02:35 PM] jehu: and the only people on here who gives good advice are few.

Online Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09-11-2015, 03:06pm »
Put it in a suitcase and leave it on the sidewalk near Journal Square.
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline nikki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09-11-2015, 03:01pm »
I put mine to the curb and they took it.

Offline Woodsy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09-11-2015, 02:38pm »
Just dump it down by the embankment (or in front of MCA's house).

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-11-2015, 01:49pm »
Thanks Rab.  I will call them (and no doubt waste my time because they will leave the damn thing on the sidewalk anyway).

Document the call so they can't fine you when it isn't picked up.

Offline Soshin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-11-2015, 01:46pm »

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-11-2015, 01:29pm »
"Some appliances such as refrigerators and air conditioners are considered recyclable items and are not to be placed out for garbage collection. Such a pickup must also be scheduled in conjunction with your recycling collection day by calling the JCIA at (201) 432-4645 ext. 600."

http://www.jciaonline.org/wastes.php

Offline Soshin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-11-2015, 01:25pm »
Quite frankly I would normally do that Binky but this thing is so old and heavy it takes 2 people to move it and if I drag it to curb I want to make sure it is going somewhere and doesn't sit in front of my house for 3 weeks blocking the view of my car without any wheels and the washing machine on the front lawn.

Online Binky

• View Profile
Re: Disposing of an old Air Cinditioner
« Reply #3 on: 09-11-2015, 01:17pm »
Just put it out. In any case, the scrap metal guys will get it before the incinerator authority and they will safely reclaim any pollutants.
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Online HippyWitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-11-2015, 01:11pm »
Just put that fucker in a lawn and leaf garbage bag and no one will be the wiser.. Where is Stephen? :Ducks: Hahahahaha
« Last Edit: 09-11-2015, 01:18pm by CeeDub »

Offline Soshin

• View Profile
Disposing of an old Air Conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 09-11-2015, 01:03pm »
Does anyone know if AC's are subject to the same rules as old TV's?  Do I need to call JCIA for pick-up or can I just dump it with the regular garbage.

This thing is probably 30 years old so I know there has to be some nasty crap inside.
« Last Edit: 09-11-2015, 01:18pm by CeeDub »

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Disposing of an old Air Conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 09-11-2015, 01:03pm »