Author Topic: Downtown Resident Parking Under Threat  (Read 4982 times)

Offline AaRoMo

• View Profile
Re: Downtown Resident Parking Under Threat
« Reply #16 on: 10-29-2015, 12:01am »
Such wit!  Such courage!  Very impressive.   

Offline HippyWitch

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10-28-2015, 09:02pm »
YAY!! FREE :pizza: FOR ALL some?

Shitty Pizza, from a place owned by a huge baby. Wahhhh no competition  >:D lmfao jerk off, I'm shocked Aaron hasn't boycotted the mural above McDonald's, because it competes with his pretty colors of the exterior of Two Boots.

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10-28-2015, 07:19pm »
YAY!! FREE :pizza: FOR ALL some?

Offline AaRoMo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10-28-2015, 07:16pm »
The plan was defeated at tonight's city council meeting. 

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10-28-2015, 09:18am »
Especially since the parking deck at Grove Pointe is frequently full and not available to hourly customers after about 2pm.

Thanks for the news, just 2 years ago it was hardly used.  Public garage stats should be a part of the master plan.

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10-28-2015, 09:01am »
Where's the master plan parking deck to accommodate restaurant row, pedestrian plazas & destinations due jour?

Especially since the parking deck at Grove Pointe is frequently full and not available to hourly customers after about 2pm.
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10-27-2015, 03:21pm »
3 mornings a week I watch a parking scooter slowly pass cars parked in an active bus stop. They've give up, and the :cop: s haven't besmirched themselves picking up the slack any.
Where's the master plan parking deck to accommodate restaurant row, pedestrian plazas & destinations due jour?

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10-27-2015, 03:11pm »
Half the cars on my block don't have a parking permit. They park there all day, every day. Unless you've commissioned a traffic study and have evidence that a paltry one hour change is going to result in parking armageddon...

Currently there is non-permit parking from 3:00 PM to 10:00 AM (except for street cleaning days) given the two hour grace period.  The point of aggravation seems to be that residents can't find parking when they get home from work.  The proposal also asks to push the end out to 11:00 PM so then subtract 3 hours for the grace period and we get 8:00 PM.  But if I park at 6:00 PM and dine (for three hours!?) I'm out of the spot by 9:00 and we've done nothing to free up spots for residents. I dunno, does not compute, I don't see how extending the hours of permit parking while also extending the grace period will provide a benefit to residents.

I'm also curious to know how this trial will be conducted because all the regulations are printed on signs. Updating these is expensive and time-consuming.  Hell, it took a year to get DPW to paint "STOP" on the pavement after installing stop signs at 1st & Erie.

Offline devb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-27-2015, 03:03pm »

3. Devb. I was hoping that wiredjc was free of the kind of bile you find on jclist.  Apparently not. 

Ouch! If you thought so highly of wiredjc you'd spend more time here, not over there.

Your ad hominem attack is as ignorant as it is unkind and I certainly wonder if you'd say it if I knew your name.

We've met. I eat at Two Boots regularly. I can ID myself in person some time if you'd like, but I won't do it here.

First off, three hours of free parking HELPS my business.  The more congested Downtown JC becomes, the better.  But I'm against it.  It's bad for the quality of life in JC where I've lived for almost twenty years.  As to my activism,  there aren't many people in Jersey City who have done more volunteer work for local causes (having nothing to do with business) than I have.  Do some research.  Ask around.  Don't be so quick to impugn people's motives when you know nothing about them.

I've lived here a long time, work in town, volunteer, own property, pay taxes, vote blah blah blah. Great.

Half the cars on my block don't have a parking permit. They park there all day, every day. Unless you've commissioned a traffic study and have evidence that a paltry one hour change is going to result in parking armageddon, it's fair to question your motives. After the farmers market and food truck debacles, anyone who pays attention to stuff going on downtown questions your motives. Ask around.

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-27-2015, 03:00pm »
2.  Stephen. I have had repeated conversations with Candice about this.  She has explained that she wanted to do something about evening parking.  Some restaurants (not mine) insisted that their customers get three hours.  So that's what was agreed upon.  It's my view, as a restaurant owner, that we should encourage people to use the excellent mass transit we have.  If they insist on driving, they should have to do with a limited time or pay.  Try finding three hours of free parking in Downtown Brooklyn or Manhattan. 

Catering to the car people? :drama:

No, but seriously, planning for cars gets more cars. We've got stop doing this if we're ever going to get to the tipping point of not expecting easy/cheap parking. 

Maybe if the likes of Porta, Taldo, South House and Bell & Whatever didn't come in super-sized, regional attraction business models then we wouldn't be wringing out hands over this now would we?

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-27-2015, 02:44pm »
:pop:
You should all be using Citi Bikes anyway.
[02:35 PM] jehu: and the only people on here who gives good advice are few.

Offline AaRoMo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-27-2015, 02:39pm »
Hi Guys:

To respond to a few points.

1.  Nikki. I can get from Grove Street to WTC in 15 minutes, certainly less than 30.  Ditto for Christopher Street.  Of course, if you live far from the PATH Train, it's a different story.  But if you live near Grove Street or Exchange Place, an hour is more than enough for a round trip.  That leaves two hours for lunch, dinner or shopping.

2.  Stephen. I have had repeated conversations with Candice about this.  She has explained that she wanted to do something about evening parking.  Some restaurants (not mine) insisted that their customers get three hours.  So that's what was agreed upon.  It's my view, as a restaurant owner, that we should encourage people to use the excellent mass transit we have.  If they insist on driving, they should have to do with a limited time or pay.  Try finding three hours of free parking in Downtown Brooklyn or Manhattan. 

3. Devb. I was hoping that wiredjc was free of the kind of bile you find on jclist.  Apparently not.  Your ad hominem attack is as ignorant as it is unkind and I certainly wonder if you'd say it if I knew your name.  First off, three hours of free parking HELPS my business.  The more congested Downtown JC becomes, the better.  But I'm against it.  It's bad for the quality of life in JC where I've lived for almost twenty years.  As to my activism,  there aren't many people in Jersey City who have done more volunteer work for local causes (having nothing to do with business) than I have.  Do some research.  Ask around.  Don't be so quick to impugn people's motives when you know nothing about them.

Finally, I'd suggest to anyone interested in this issue that they take a look at Donald Shoup's book called "The High Price of Free Parking."  He's the national expert on this issue.  The takeaway is that the LAST thing JC should be doing is giving away free parking, especially non-residents. 

Offline devb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-27-2015, 01:52pm »
The rest of the plan seems to have some very good ideas that would counteract any effects of the change from 2 to 3 hours, assuming a dedicated increase in enforcement takes place.

Assuming that travel to and from Manhattan takes a total of one hour, non-residents who park on our streets will have a full two hours to shop or to grab lunch or dinner.

Given the nature of your past "activism", I can't help but assume you're most worried about people eating in Manhattan and not, say, Jersey City.

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-27-2015, 01:48pm »
For reference, here's the high-level proposal that was posted on October 1.

http://www.slideshare.net/candiceosborne1/jersey-city-parking-recommendations

Why?

That's a good question. Did you reach out the Councilwoman Osborne to ask?  I too am curious about the reasoning here.

Offline nikki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-27-2015, 01:26pm »
Travel time to and from takes more than an hour.  You assume no downtime between trains.

Offline AaRoMo

• View Profile
Downtown Resident Parking Under Threat
« Reply #1 on: 10-27-2015, 01:23pm »
Councilwoman Candice Osborne is proposing a “pilot program”* under which non-residents will be allowed to park for three hours instead of the current limit of two.  It is under consideration by the City Council at this very moment.  This inexplicable change will result in a dramatic loss of parking for Downtown residents. Why?

•   The Downtown will become a “park and ride" lot for non-residents.  With three hours of free parking, non-residents will have every incentive to park on Downtown streets, walk to a PATH station and ride to Manhattan to shop or meet a friend for lunch or dinner, avoiding Holland Tunnel traffic and the high cost of tolls and Manhattan parking.** Try finding a deal like that anywhere in the New York metropolitan area. It doesn’t exist.

•   Spaces will open up far less frequently.  If non-residents can park for three hours, spaces that currently open up three times in an eight-hour period will open up only twice. Multiply this by the number of spaces used by non-residents, and you have a dramatic loss in parking opportunities for residents.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

•   SIGN THE PETITION at change.org (to find it go to “search” and type in “watterman”).

•   EMAIL Councilwoman Candice Osborne at candice@candiceosborne.com, City Council President Rolando Lavarro at rlavarro@jcnj.org and Councilwoman-at-Large Joyce Watterman at jwatterman@jcnj.org.  To make it simple, you can just write “I oppose extending non-resident parking to three hours.”  They’ll get the point!

*The specifics of the plan are available at http://www.slideshare.net/candiceosborne1/jersey-city-parking-recommendations.

**Assuming that travel to and from Manhattan takes a total of one hour, non-residents who park on our streets will have a full two hours to shop or to grab lunch or dinner.  They'll have even more time should they wish to visit the new WTC mall (a mere 15 minutes away), which real estate executives are projecting “will make lower Manhattan a shopping destination” (Wall Street Journal, October 19, 2015). 

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Downtown Resident Parking Under Threat
« Reply #1 on: 10-27-2015, 01:23pm »