Author Topic: Ron Paul for President  (Read 21313 times)

Online jehu

• View Profile
Re: Ron Paul for President
« Reply #186 on: 09-19-2011, 02:40pm »
"We have endless wars overseas and endless welfare at home. We can't afford that anymore; we have to change those policies." <---- If we cut military spending by 10% we can have both!

"We do need an absolutely thorough audit of the Federal Reserve," Paul added. <--- good luck with that.

"What is the purpose of government and political action? I think the main purpose of our Constitution and political action should be the preservation of liberty." <--- who's liberty?

"It would be nice if we had a lot more respect for the rule of law." <--- Yes it would, Cheney should be hung for treason (for outing a CIA operative)

"You ought to have a right to work hard, and you ought to have a right to keep what you earn." <--- and the company you work for should give you a fair living wage.

America's role is to have a strong national defense, "not to be the policeman of the world." (That one was particularly popular.) <--- they go hand in hand, I mean whey wait till a fire is at your door step when you can put it out a lot quicker early on.

He ended with "I'm running on peace and prosperity and personal liberty, the U.S. Constitution and the American tradition." <-- personal liberty? that unfortunately is not an American tradition, more an American myth.

Yes, the SB was slow today.
stephen: Hmm… I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a paper using your notes." So I wrote a paper that said, "Hello! My name is Bingo! I like to climb on things

Offline duke_of_earl

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 09-19-2011, 02:03pm »
Ron Paul wins California Republican straw poll

September 17, 2011 |  8:16 pm

This weekend, the California Republican Party had its 2011 Fall Convention at the JW Marriott Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. One presidential candidate, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, spoke at a dinner on Friday night, and Saturday morning's breakfast featured two more contenders: Michigan Rep. Thaddeus McCotter and Texas Rep. Ron Paul.

Paul's fans were out in force both outside the hotel -- awaiting his arrival -- and inside the ticketed Lincoln Clubs Breakfast. He spoke last and was late, allowing McCotter to add a question-and-answer period to his prepared remarks (more on that later, check back).

McCotter is also on the roster of speakers for Sunday's Beverly Hills Tea Party, to be held from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at Beverly Hills Park on Santa Monica Blvd.

Raucous cheers and whistles and whoops and screams -- one could be forgiven for wondering....

...if they were for an elderly 11-term House politician or Justin Bieber -- announced Paul's presence outside the doors. He then entered to another round of cheers and camera flashes.

(Paul is also hoping for a warm reception online, using the occasion of Constitution Day, the anniversary of the signing of the document on Sept. 17, 1787, to launch another 24-hour fundraising money bomb.)

Several breakfasters videotaped portions of Paul's speech, which likely would be familiar to anyone who's heard him the previous two times he ran for president -- in 1988 on the Libertarian Party ticket and 2008 in the Republican field.

He spoke at length about the historic underpinnings of current economic problems, his issues with Ron-Paul-CAGOP-1 American foreign and domestic policies, his desire to audit the Federal Reserve, his opposition to bank bailouts, and his concern that some politicians are not upholding their oath to defend the Constitution.

Among some of the lines that got the biggest cheers in the 20-ish minute talk were:

"We have endless wars overseas and endless welfare at home. We can't afford that anymore; we have to change those policies."

"We do need an absolutely thorough audit of the Federal Reserve," Paul added.

"What is the purpose of government and political action? I think the main purpose of our Constitution and political action should be the preservation of liberty."

"It would be nice if we had a lot more respect for the rule of law."

"You ought to have a right to work hard, and you ought to have a right to keep what you earn."

America's role is to have a strong national defense, "not to be the policeman of the world." (That one was particularly popular.)

He ended with "I'm running on peace and prosperity and personal liberty, the U.S. Constitution and the American tradition."

The congressman exited to chants of "President Paul."

There were Paul T-shirts and signs aplenty throughout the hotel, displayed by fans that ran the age gamut from teenagers to the elderly, wearing everything from jeans and sneakers to skirts, heels and suits.Rick-Perry-Supporters-CAGOP

Some time after the breakfast, Paul once again passed through the hotel, accompanied by an enormous, enthusiastic gaggle wielding cameras and waving signs.

The next largest group of signs and supporters visible on the path to and from the breakfast were for the current national front-runner, Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

They mostly consisted of groups of roving college-age men and women in "Americans for Perry" T-shirts.

Asked why she liked Perry, one twentysomething said, "He's awesome!"

Also speaking at the breakfast and doing some TV interviews was KRLA 870 AM talk-show host Kevin James, a registered Republican and former federal prosecutor who has announced his candidacy for Los Angeles mayor in 2013, when current Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa hits his two-term limit.

Saturday at the convention also featured a straw poll, conducted between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Pacific, with results announced during an evening banquet. Considering the large numbers of Paul fans who made their way to the Marriott, it's not surprising that he won the poll by a handy margin over second-place finisher Perry.

But after the two Texans, the percentages drop precipitously, with Bachmann only managing fourth despite her convention appearance.

Below find the results:

Congressman Ron Paul (374, 44.9%)
Governor Rick Perry (244, 29.3%)?
Mitt Romney (74, 8.8%)
Congresswoman Michele Bachmann (64, 7.7%)
Jon Huntsman (17, 2.0%)
Herman Cain (15, 1.8%)
Newt Gingrich (14, 1.7%)
Thad McCotter (7, 0.8%)
Rick Santorum (7, 0.8%)
Gary Johnson (2, 0.2%)
Fred Karger (1, 0.1%)
Write-ins (15, 1.8%)

Online jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 08-30-2011, 12:00pm »
I almost wish Bush Jr. would run for President again!!!

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a paper using your notes." So I wrote a paper that said, "Hello! My name is Bingo! I like to climb on things

10Huron

« Reply #183 on: 08-30-2011, 11:58am »
Ron Paul: Bernanke Keeps Printing Money

Offline peaceOut

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 08-30-2011, 11:43am »
Ron Paul cites the following to support his reasons for Iran hating us:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

Offline duke_of_earl

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 08-29-2011, 03:37pm »
Mission Accomplished in Libya?

Even as a major hurricane hit America's eastern seaboard, the administration is determined to expand the war in Libya while threatening the regime in Syria.  Is there any limit to government's appetite to create more problems for our nation and economy?

Americans may be tempted to celebrate the apparent victory of US and NATO backed rebels in Libya, since it seems the Gaddafi regime is overthrown. But I believe any enthusiasm for our Libyan misadventure is premature.

The Obama administration attacked Libya without a constitutional declaration of war, without congressional authorization, without meaningful consultation with Congress -- and without a dollar being authorized from the House or Senate.  It was a war started by a president who turned to the United Nations for its authority and ignored the authority of the US Congress.

Are we better off as a nation by ignoring and debasing our Constitution?  Are we better off having spent more than a billion dollars attacking a country thousands of miles away that had not threatened us?  Are we more financially sound having expanded the empire to include yet another protectorate and probable long-term military occupation?  Are we more admired throughout the world for getting involved in yet another war?

Still, many will claim that getting rid of Libyan ruler Gaddafi was worth it. They will say that the ends justify the means. As the civilian toll from NATO bombs adds up in a war started under the guise of protecting a civilian population, even the initial argument for intervention is ridiculous. We should not forget that there were no massacres taking place in Libya before the NATO attack. The attack was a dubbed a preventative humanitarian intervention.  But as soon as NATO planes started bombing, civilians started dying.

Gaddafi may well have been a tyrant, but as such he was no worse than many others that we support and count as allies. Disturbingly, we see a pattern of relatively secular leaders in the Arab world being targeted for regime change with the resulting power vacuum being filled by much more radical elements.  Iraq, post-Saddam, is certainly far closer to Iran than before the US invasion.  Will Libya be any different?

We already see grisly reprisals from the US-backed rebels against their political opponents.  There are disturbing scenes of looting and lawlessness on the part of the rebels.  We know that some rebel factions appear to be allied with Islamic extremists and others seem to have ties to the CIA.  They also appear to have a penchant for killing each other as well as supporters of the previous regime.  The tribal structure of Libyan society all but ensures that an ongoing civil war is on the agenda rather than the Swiss-style democracy that some intervention advocates suggest is around the corner.

What is next after such a victory?  With the big Western scramble to grab Libya's oil reserves amid domestic political chaos and violence, does anyone doubt that NATO ground troops are not being prepared for yet another occupation?

Neo-conservatives continue to dominate our foreign policy, regardless of the administration in power.  They do not care that we are bankrupt, as they are too blinded by their desire for empire and their affection for the entangling alliances we have been rightly counseled to avoid. They have set their sights next on Syria, where the US moves steadily toward intervention in another domestic conflict that has nothing to do with the US.  Already the US president has called for "regime change" in Syria, while adding new sanctions against the Syrian regime.  Are US bombers far behind?

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
« Reply #180 on: 08-18-2011, 10:30pm »
Ain't capitalism wonderful?  It's so good even the Commies are doing it!
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline duke_of_earl

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 08-18-2011, 05:12pm »
Gold prices also got support after Venezuela said it is planning to nationalize the county's gold industry to reduce smuggling.

President Hugo Chavez said he will move Venezuela's gold reserves out of foreign banks in the U.S. and Europe into those in Russia, China, Brazil and South Africa.

Note that if he does actually follow through on that threat, this would empty out all of the reserves of gold in JP Morgan and they would have to scramble to fill the reserve.  Likely buying much of that gold from the open market.  The price of gold would quickly break much higher.

duke

Offline peaceOut

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 08-18-2011, 04:21pm »
Gold hits new record near $1,830 an ounce

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/18/markets/gold_prices/index.htm?hpt=hp_t1

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Gold prices are again marching in record territory, nearing $1,830 an ounce, as the global economic picture gets uglier by the minute.

Gold jumped 2% to hit an all-time high (not adjusted for inflation) of $1,829.70 an ounce Thursday morning, as jittery investors dumped risky assets like stocks and rushed into traditional safe havens, including gold and U.S. Treasuries. Gold closed at $1822, up 1.6% for the day.

Buying of U.S. debt was so heavy that it sent the 10-year yield below 2% for the first time in history.

The worries began to intensify overnight, after Morgan Stanley slashed its global growth forecast and warned that the U.S. and Europe are "dangerously close" to a recession.

Early in the morning, jobless claims and inflation -- which gold is often used to hedge against -- rose more than expected.

And just after the U.S. stock market opened for trading, the signs of an economic slowdown got much worse.

Manufacturing activity in the Philadelphia region contracted to a level last seen in March 2009, when the U.S. was still in a recession. In addition, existing home sales tumbled.
The gold rush is on

"Investors are running scared into gold because of the persistent problems and recession-like performances in Europe and United States," said Jeffery Nichols, senior economic adviser at Rosland Capital and managing director at American Precious Metals Advisors.

Gold prices also got support after Venezuela said it is planning to nationalize the county's gold industry to reduce smuggling.

President Hugo Chavez said he will move Venezuela's gold reserves out of foreign banks in the U.S. and Europe into those in Russia, China, Brazil and South Africa.

"That type of action just underscores the concerns of central bank reserve managers over the conditions across international economies and financial markets," said Nichols.

Meanwhile, a report from the World Gold Council Thursday showed that global demand for gold slumped 17% during the second quarter compared to a year earlier. At that time, Europe's debt crisis raised the safe harbor appeal of the precious metal. But demand in India and China continued to grow at a robust pace.

Still, with prices at record highs, the demand in value terms rose 5% to $44.5 billion over the second quarter of last year, the second-highest level on record.

The London-based group expects that Europe's debt problems, the downgrade of U.S. debt, inflationary pressure and a fragile outlook for economic growth are likely to fuel heavy investment in gold for the foreseeable future.

While those broad factors will likely support gold at a price of around $1,850 an ounce to the end of next year, Nichols said the yellow metal is vulnerable to a short-term correction given the recent "swift run-up."

Since the start of July, gold prices have surged more than 20%. They are up almost 30% in 2011, and 50% during the past 12 months.

Online jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 08-18-2011, 03:20pm »

10Huron

« Reply #176 on: 08-18-2011, 02:54pm »
LOL! Classic!!!

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 08-18-2011, 02:29pm »
Last one, I promise.

Offline peaceOut

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 08-18-2011, 01:48pm »
http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine/2011/08/ron_paul_in_2008_framing_the_2.html

Ron Paul in 2008 framing the 2012 debate
Published: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 11:36 AM     Updated: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 11:47 AM
Paul Mulshine/The Star Ledger By Paul Mulshine/The Star Ledger

Some Ron Paul fan put together this montage of Ron Paul from the 2008 Republican presidential primary campaign. The interesting thing, ignored by the media as I have noted, is that back then he was predicting the problems we face today and framing the debate we're having now.

Somebody tell the talking heads.

Also, check out how John McCain and Mitt Romney smirk like chimpanzees as Paul is making points that Romney's repeating today.

This would be deadly to Mitt if he had any pride - or any memory f how his own father's candidacy fell apart in 1968 because of the same sort of indecisiveness Mitt's showing now.

ALL of RON PAUL's replies @ CNN debate Jan. 30, '08

Online CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 08-18-2011, 10:06am »
Total hijack, but I guess the only way to eat a weiner on a stick during a photo-op is to hold it parallel to earth at a 90º and and snap the end of with one big chomp of your molars like a celery stalk.  Takes all the excitement out.

On a lighter note:
Shasta2

Offline PuddinPop

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 08-17-2011, 04:56pm »
Sorry, but this is quite hysterical.
Funny also, is the guy in the corner grinning at M. Bachmann knowing this picture would come back to haunt her.

I am more likely to vote for Pat Buchanan then I am for Ron Paul.

I think you are more of a Michele Bachmann fan....

duke

I was wondering how long it would take for the sexism to start showing. Good on ya duke, coming out early!

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 08-17-2011, 04:44pm »
I voted for Obama. I voted for a democrat every time before that. They've proven themselves useless.

Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich will help turn our nation around. We need a dramatic change in foreign and fiscal policy and they will do what it takes to make this country great again.

Wiser citizens with less tolerance for bullshit will turn our nation around.  So don't hold your breath.

Offline Soshin

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 08-17-2011, 04:43pm »
I am not overly fond of the term 'welfare state', unless you use it in terms of all the hand outs we give to Corporations.

I voted for Obama. I voted for a democrat every time before that. They've proven themselves useless.

Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich will help turn our nation around. We need a dramatic change in foreign and fiscal policy and they will do what it takes to make this country great again.

Ehmmm Dennis Kucinich is a democrat.  And why would he want to run with a guy who is pro-life and supports the decimation of the welfare state?

Sorry, I was using it in the British sense.

A welfare state is a "concept of government in which the state plays a key role in the protection and promotion of the economic and social well-being of its citizens. It is based on the principles of equality of opportunity, equitable distribution of wealth, and public responsibility for those unable to avail themselves of the minimal provisions for a good life. The general term may cover a variety of forms of economic and social organization."

We Brits can't help it if you Americans have to fuck everything up  :P
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Online jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 08-17-2011, 04:21pm »
I am not overly fond of the term 'welfare state', unless you use it in terms of all the hand outs we give to Corporations.

Ehmmm Dennis Kucinich is a democrat.  And why would he want to run with a guy who is pro-life and supports the decimation of the welfare state?

Offline Soshin

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 08-17-2011, 04:18pm »

Offline jarze

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 08-17-2011, 11:28am »

So it would have been okay if the picture were of Rick Perry?

Still funny:

Online jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 08-17-2011, 11:24am »
Blame the Supreme Court and their ruling that Corporations are able to fund politicians indirectly via 'free speech'.

Take the money out of Washington and the dance will change.

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 08-17-2011, 11:21am »
I was wondering how long it would take for the sexism to start showing. Good on ya duke, coming out early!

No sexism, just humor intended.  I would have done the same with Jon Huntsman.

duke

But you didn't.
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline duke_of_earl

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 08-17-2011, 11:19am »

No sexism, just humor intended.  I would have done the same with Jon Huntsman.

duke

Offline jarze

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 08-17-2011, 11:18am »

Corn dogs are funny when guys eat them too.

Online Rabelais

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 08-17-2011, 11:17am »
I am more likely to vote for Pat Buchanan then I am for Ron Paul.

I think you are more of a Michele Bachmann fan....

duke

So it would have been okay if the picture were of Rick Perry?
[02:35 PM] jehu: and the only people on here who gives good advice are few.
[Today at 08:56 am] Darna: bang mi is the best sandwich ever

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

« Reply #162 on: 08-17-2011, 11:17am »