Author Topic: Pizza Night  (Read 50133 times)

Offline nikki

• View Profile
Re: Pizza Night
« Reply #101 on: 06-18-2015, 11:57am »
Pompeii Pizza is not on the list

From somebloginevahoidof: 10 Best Pizza Places in Jersey City, NJ

"Pizza is a big thing in Jersey City, it's something that people are downright passionate about. If you ask where the best pizza is, you will get as many answers as there are toppings. With that being said, we sampled some great pizza in the area. This is our list of favorites (in no particular order). The Top Pizza Places In Jersey City. We couldn't try every restaurant in the city, so tell us which one is your favorite?"

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 06-18-2015, 11:56am »
From somebloginevahoidof: 10 Best Pizza Places in Jersey City, NJ

"Pizza is a big thing in Jersey City, it's something that people are downright passionate about. If you ask where the best pizza is, you will get as many answers as there are toppings. With that being said, we sampled some great pizza in the area. This is our list of favorites (in no particular order). The Top Pizza Places In Jersey City. We couldn't try every restaurant in the city, so tell us which one is your favorite?"

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 05-24-2013, 10:26am »
That said, I feel like Neo and you're Morpheus and you just gave me the red pill.  8)

This is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to Kindelan.

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
« Reply #98 on: 05-23-2013, 02:34pm »
That said, I feel like Neo and you're Morpheus and you just gave me the red pill.

Is that the date rape scene?
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 05-23-2013, 02:24pm »
This is because most pizzerias source their ingredients from the same Pizza Industrial Complex. It's true! I was once sitting in Esperanto's (Now 30 Acres) and they had a Pizzeria catalog sitting around that I decided to glance at. There are massive suppliers out there that cater to the pizza sector so that all pizzerias are getting their ingredients from the same place which results in similar if not identical tasting pizza.

That's why we saw so many places getting the same score in the Independent article. I dug deeper for YOU PEOPLE.

I dug even deeper than you and found this: the Sysco Pizza and Italian Cuisine Product Catalog. That said, I feel like Neo and you're Morpheus and you just gave me the red pill.  8)

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
« Reply #96 on: 05-23-2013, 01:34pm »
Some of those JCI pizza slices look like they have fresh mozz on them as opposed to generic cheese scraped from between the the toes of Tony Soprano.  Those also look like the places that get 4 stars.  Are they comparing Minivans to Porsches here?
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 05-23-2013, 12:09pm »
From the JCI: Searching for the Best Plain Slice of Pizza in Downtown Jersey City

What I really care about: The thing about the article that I think could have been improved upon was 12 out of 20 places reviewed were given a 3 slice rating.  Doesn't make differentiating the various options much easier. Perhaps a 1-10 scale would have been better?

Pizza Judgement is important.

So I did some further research. We conducted a blind taste test at our home with pizza from Stadium Pizza vs Vinnie's III. They tasted nearly identical but Vinnie's 3's pie was better put together. Their cheese wasn't all over the place like Stadium.

What I realized and what the article reference above demonstrates is that most pizza is almost identical. This is because most pizzerias source their ingredients from the same Pizza Industrial Complex. It's true! I was once sitting in Esperanto's (Now 30 Acres) and they had a Pizzeria catalog sitting around that I decided to glance at. There are massive suppliers out there that cater to the pizza sector so that all pizzerias are getting their ingredients from the same place which results in similar if not identical tasting pizza.

That's why we saw so many places getting the same score in the Independent article. I dug deeper for YOU PEOPLE.

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 02-05-2013, 03:25pm »
From the JCI: Searching for the Best Plain Slice of Pizza in Downtown Jersey City

I appreciate the effort and I will forgive the DOWNTOWN parameters. I wonder if a Best Pizza in JSQ or Best Pizza on the West Side articles are to come. I don't really care though.

What I really care about: The thing about the article that I think could have been improved upon was 12 out of 20 places reviewed were given a 3 slice rating.  Doesn't make differentiating the various options much easier. Perhaps a 1-10 scale would have been better?

Pizza Judgement is important.

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 02-05-2013, 12:47pm »

Offline Spoon

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 09-29-2012, 07:31pm »
Spoon
111 Sterling Ave
201-433-2515

Email us spoon111sterlingave@yahoo.com

"Best kept secret of Jersey City"
Promoting healthy food and good eats!

Offline Spoon

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 09-29-2012, 07:29pm »
Come try our individual pizzas!  Not your typical pizza... You can't have just 1!!!!!!

INDIVIDUAL PIZZA  $6.00

1. Roasted pepper, lemon basil, goat cheese, crushed garlic drizzled with sweet lemon basil dressing     
2. Fresh cherry tomatoes, oregano, basil and sauted sweet onions 
3. Assorted basil (purple, sweet and lemon), blue cheese, caramelized onions, raspberry preserve, fresh tomatoes, drizzled with herb oil     
4. Sauteed baby spinach, smoked mozzarella over marinara sauce
Add Beef or Chicken $2

It's worth the visit!!

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 09-27-2012, 10:30am »
Tell me more about this brick oven business...

I usually go to Stadium but I'd give Vinnie's another try

I am happy to report that Vinnie's III recently went through a total renovation. There is an updated look, outdoor seating pen and coming soon.... fancy brick oven type shnick.

You better recognize. :2thumbs:

Oh yeah Vinnie's III is located at 431 Danforth Avenue  (201) 433 5599 http://www.vinnies3pizza.com/

I was in there the other day and there was a "Coming Soon!" sign plus I saw the thing. It was an arched opening in the wall, you know the classic Pizza Oven look. I saw it.

Offline nikki

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 09-27-2012, 10:16am »
Tell me more about this brick oven business...

I usually go to Stadium but I'd give Vinnie's another try

I am happy to report that Vinnie's III recently went through a total renovation. There is an updated look, outdoor seating pen and coming soon.... fancy brick oven type shnick.

I

Oh yeah Vinnie's III is located at 431 Danforth Avenue  (201) 433 5599 http://www.vinnies3pizza.com/

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 09-27-2012, 10:04am »

I've been going there more frequently to the detriment of the old stand-by Stadium Pizza. I honestly think Vinnie's III has the best Sicilian slice in the city. Why don't you go check it out for yourself and see?

With this re-launch and the recent openings of Jerkin' Chicken and Jollibee (not to mention old stand-by's like Fun Buffet and Laico's) our little South West quadrant of the city is really flexing some serious culinary muscle. For serious.

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
  • fuck a goddamn canadian rig count.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 03-12-2010, 09:24pm »
wow! this almost makes up for the loss of the weekday grab and go dinners.  i'm looking forward to trying it!
[06:11 PM]  fasteddie: jesus, this SB is deader than JC Vibe

Offline celeste

• View Profile
    • Made With Love
come on jersey city n try our organic pizza served sat n sunday! made with love, 530 jersey ave on the heart of downtown jersy city between newark n christopher columbus, just a few blocks from the grove st path station. 201-451-5199.

Offline regulator

• yo
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 01-29-2010, 06:22pm »
hmm... i tried la rustique a few times.. not a huge fan. it's better than your average slice, but then again so is grimaldis in hoboken (or margarita's).  if i just want a quick slice in jc, i'll usually order from ginos in the heights.  if i have the option to drive, i'll usually just get benny's in hoboken.

a semi-new pizzeria just sent me a menu recently (they're on JFK, kinda near rt 139 / exxon station). i used to have their regular slices back in high school, and they were pretty gross, but huge and cost-effective.  now, they seem to have added personal pies / brick oven style pizza in addition to the regular slices. i'll have to try it out one of these days

Offline Olewnick

• View Profile
    • Just Outside
« Reply #84 on: 01-29-2010, 04:39pm »
I enjoy their slices very much but one suggestion on the margherita: not so chintzy with the basil!

I had the good fortune to go out to Di Fara Pizza in Brooklyn a couple years back (incredibly delicious). There, the owner/operator reaches over for a big handful of basil growing right in his window, takes a huge pair of <i>scissors</i> and just bathes the pie in the stuff.

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Munchmobile Pizza Patrol awards the six best pizzas in N.J.
« Reply #83 on: 01-29-2010, 01:06pm »
Congratulations to Cafe La Rustique, purveyor of the Best Margherita Pizza in the state.

The Munchmobile Pizza Patrol awards the six best pizzas in N.J.

<a href="http://tribeca.vidavee.com/advance/vidavee/playerv3/vFlasher_debug.swf/p19=movie1261365397803&amp;d=234FEEB50E85D1640A6CAB24E8B97BEA&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://tribeca.vidavee.com/advance/vidavee/playerv3/vFlasher_debug.swf/p19=movie1261365397803&amp;d=234FEEB50E85D1640A6CAB24E8B97BEA&amp;</a>

Ledger Live for Friday January 29th, 2010 - Ledger Live with Brian Donohue. On today's show: We ride along with Pete Genovese and the Munchmobile Pizza Patrol as we crown the best pizzas joints around the state in these categories: Best Specialty, Best Sicilian, Best Margherita, Best Thin-crust, Best Plain, and Best Sausage pies.

Terhune Avenue Fan

« Reply #82 on: 11-26-2009, 10:10pm »
Romano's 24 Inch Pizza at 508 West Side Avenue between Boyd and Williams. A nice place near the West Bergen Library and Lincoln Park for a slice or even a whole pie.

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 11-02-2009, 03:59pm »
They *clearly* don't know what they're talking about if they think La Rustique's pizza is "tremendous."

I couldn't agree more.
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 11-02-2009, 12:28pm »
They *clearly* don't know what they're talking about if they think La Rustique's pizza is "tremendous."

maybe it's not La Rustique, it's you
  just saying...
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 11-02-2009, 12:25pm »

Offline Darna

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 11-02-2009, 12:23pm »
HA! to all you La Rustique naysayers!

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Pizza Patrol has 'mozzarella moment' in Jersey City
« Reply #77 on: 11-02-2009, 10:59am »
So the Star Ledger's Munchmobile Pizza Patrol, who go around the state searching for the ultimate pizza experience, check out a couple of local spots and have good things to say about our back-to-back Best of WiredJC: Pizza winner.

"...The Big Dog rumbled past Boulevard Drinks, one of the states landmark hot dog joints, and the crew stepped inside Prince of Pizza (763 Bergen Ave., Jersey City; 201-434-9453). If you see a vacant table at this pizza hole-in-the-wall, grab it. The plain pie boasts minimal sauce and a threadbare crust, never a good combination. "This must be the no-bake recipe Ive heard about," Weiner cracked.

The Sicilian, though, came as a surprise. Oozing saucy goodness, it boasted a nice chewy crust. Bruno said the sauce "ruined" the pie, but shes wrong on this one. A better-than-average Sicilian.

Then came one of those encounters the Pizza Patrol lives for. Call it a Mozzarella Moment. There isnt anything about La Rustique Cafe (611 Jersey Ave., Jersey City; 201-222-6886) that says "Great Pizza Ahead." Its a cozy, comfy place, but youve seen its kind before.

The margherita pie, with homemade mozzarella, San Marzano tomato sauce, imported Parmesan, olive oil and fresh basil, is a stunner, boasting a distinctive tart sauce and browned crust. Bruno, who dispenses superlatives as if they cost her money, called it "tremendous."

The Sicilian is a monster, puffed up like a titanic sauce/cheese turnover. You may not like it, or may run away from it in fear, but it dares to be different.

"I walk the streets" was Frank Scalciones motto when he ran for city council in Jersey City this year. And serve the pizza; Scalcione is the owner of Franks Famous Pizzeria (415 Monmouth St., Jersey City; 201-798-1173).

The pie may not be a winner, but its a viable candidate. "More personality than most because of the crispness of the crust," Weiner said. Salty sausage. The white pie is bland; Bruno thought the ricotta needed work.

Then came the hike to John's (87 Sussex St., Jersey City; 201-433-4411). Judging by our two pies, this NYC pizza landmark should have stayed on the other side of the Hudson. Bruno labeled the crust "substandard," while Weiner called the sausage "yucky" and the white pie "Bland Central.""

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

« Reply #77 on: 11-02-2009, 10:59am »