Author Topic: Pizza Night  (Read 50236 times)

AmbushBug

Pizza in JC
« Reply #26 on: 07-25-2007, 11:00am »
Carmines does not have what you need.  I'm telling you - Three Guys From Italy in JSQ has what you need.

Alright, I'll check them out this weekend. But if they don't stand up to Central Jersey  pizza, I'm banging down your door with a tack hammer and we'll have to have ourselves a little reckoning.

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
  • fuck a goddamn canadian rig count.
    • View Profile
Pizza in JC
« Reply #25 on: 07-25-2007, 10:36am »
I thought there was a concensus a while back that La Rustique (a) had gone way downhill, and (b) is grossly overpriced. Have things changed lately? Have you ordered from there recently?

I haven't ordered from La Rustique in ages, honestly.  So it might have gone downhill and I wouldn't know.

What you all call the utility slice, I call the standard NYC-style slice, and there is an art to making it.  Too many mediocre pizza places get by because "good enough" is good enough for many people.  There is the "edible" slice and there is the amazing, melt in your mouth perfect slice, and there is a difference.  And when I think of pizza, nine times out of ten I am thinking of standard NYC style slice pizza, not fancy shmancy stuff.  But there IS an art to making the perfect standard slice, and sadly not that many places do it well enough to satisfy me.  Certainly nowhere downtown does.

Then again, I haven't tried Carmine's. Hopefully they'll have what I need ... good sauce, stretchy mozz, and, most important, a crust that cracks just slightly when you fold it.

Oh, and grease. Lotsa grease.

Carmines does not have what you need.  I'm telling you - Three Guys From Italy in JSQ has what you need.
[06:11 PM]  fasteddie: jesus, this SB is deader than JC Vibe

AmbushBug

Pizza in JC
« Reply #24 on: 07-25-2007, 10:23am »
(La Rustique is lousy, i think they get their crust from Ellios).

Couldn't have said it better myself.

As for fancy v. "utility" pizza, I actually tend to prefer greasy find-it-anywhere pizza. It's what I think of as true Jersey honest-to-god awesome pizza. And I still say Jersey City is lacking a place that really does it right.

When I say there's no decent pizza in JC, I don't mean there's no decent margherita pizza. I mean there's no decent pizza, really, of any kind. Hell, we don't even have a place that equals Ray's. How sad is that?

Then again, I haven't tried Carmine's. Hopefully they'll have what I need ... good sauce, stretchy mozz, and, most important, a crust that cracks just slightly when you fold it.

Oh, and grease. Lotsa grease.

Offline RB

• View Profile
Pizza in JC
« Reply #23 on: 07-25-2007, 10:20am »
Quote from: missa
la rustique for margherita pizza.

I thought there was a concensus a while back that La Rustique (a) had gone way downhill, and (b) is grossly overpriced. Have things changed lately? Have you ordered from there recently?
« Last Edit: 07-25-2007, 09:07pm by MCA »

Offline Skadave

• View Profile
Re: Carmine's
« Reply #22 on: 07-25-2007, 10:10am »
There are two types of pizza; Excellent, tell your friends it's the best pizza in the world, pizza. And utility pizza. Jersey City does not have an excellent pizza place (La Rustique is lousy, i think they get their crust from Ellios). But there are definitely places that serve a decent utility slice (Carmine's is my favorite).

Go to rochester ny and try their pizza, then you will see that Jersey City is not that bad.

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07-25-2007, 09:29am »
I agree la rustique is good for fancy-shmancy pies.  But 3 Guys in JSQ stomps the HELL out of Carmines in the greasy slice department. 

Downtown Jersey City pizza is SERIOUSLY lacking.

Offline missa

• faerie unicorn in perpetuam
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07-25-2007, 06:40am »
okay lets recap

jersey city pizza is lacking therefore:

la rustique for margherita pizza.

carmines for a greasy slice. make sure you ask for a large because they use the same amount of dough in both sizes and ask for well done.

sorry, until some new place comes around, that is the best you are gonna get :D

Moderator's note:  split and merged from Carmine's review thread.

« Last Edit: 07-25-2007, 09:06pm by MCA »
"How do you know that you hate children? Try sauteeing them with a little wine and garlic, and maybe they'll taste just fine."-- alb

Offline e-eff

• View Profile
Re: Pizza Night
« Reply #19 on: 06-06-2007, 11:35pm »
If you want to go out for it -- go to Esperanto's on Jersey.  Absolutely perfect giant by-the-slice pizza.  But it always gets rubbery in the box. Mmm . . . I want pizza.

LOL it's around the corner from me so I have those giant slices a bit more often than I should

Offline Mr_Grieves

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06-05-2007, 10:03am »
For the second time in 3 months, the best pizza place in NY (and there can be no debate about this) - DiFara's - was DOH'd.  Although I'm not exactly clear about the reason, it had something to do with an open window.  If the NYC DOH came to JC, there'd be no such thing as dining out.
Well just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Offline SamS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05-18-2007, 11:22am »
Thanks NON, that's a good tip. I will tell them to go nuts with the sauce next time.

Agreed!

I have had Carmine's before and found it only edible.   When I lived up in Journal Square I found Vinnie's to be the best. There's also another good place on Bergen just before McGinley Sq.   On the rare occassion that I order in, I either go with Vinnie's or Filipos in  Hoboken.  If I'm picking up just a slice, I get it from Christo's.  Again, I much prefer my own home made pizza, but it takes some time.
« Last Edit: 05-18-2007, 11:29am by SamS »
[Thu 12:46] <jennymayla> Where's kindelan?  I need Kindelan.

Meet Christian Singles In Your Neighborhood.

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05-18-2007, 09:39am »
Wow, Hamilton Park Pizza delivers all the way to Country Village?

That is a violation, good sir.

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05-18-2007, 01:05am »
carmine's is serviceable, and if you order from them again, feel free to make special requests (thin crust, easy on the sauce, heavy on the sauce, etc...) they're pretty agreeable.

Thanks NON, that's a good tip. I will tell them to go nuts with the sauce next time.

I'd rather take mediocre greasy pizza that knows what it is, over "upscale" pizza that disappoints.

Agreed!

Offline NON

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05-17-2007, 11:33pm »
+1 - last few pies from [La Rustique] were shite - crust too thick and under-cooked

only ever had pizza from La Rustique once. thoroughly unimpressive. I was urged by some die hard fans to wait until later on in tomato season, as their home-made sauce will get better. still doesn't explain why the crust tasted like cardboard.

carmine's is serviceable, and if you order from them again, feel free to make special requests (thin crust, easy on the sauce, heavy on the sauce, etc...) they're pretty agreeable.

I'd rather take mediocre greasy pizza that knows what it is, over "upscale" pizza that disappoints.

Offline skwirrlking

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05-17-2007, 10:14pm »

On the subject, I used to rave about La Rustique.  Unfortunately, I've put them on my official downhill alert.  The last 3 pizzas were pretty lousy.  And they were cold.  And this is with picking them up within a few minutes from the time they said it would be ready.

+1 - last few pies from there were shite - crust too thick and under-cooked

Offline NON

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05-17-2007, 09:55pm »
Hamilton Park Pizza is pretty good. Come on, let's be real. Plus they are really nice. They messed up our order once (they forgot the pepperoni) and they were really nice about it and made reparations that were quite satisfying.

They are a good outfit.

Wow, Hamilton Park Pizza delivers all the way to Country Village?

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05-17-2007, 09:40pm »
Re Carmines... it just goes to show that you don't have to be great to be successful.  Everything at Carmine's is okay though nothing to rave about.  But they're consistently okay and the service is consistently good to excellent. 

I walked into Walt's for a 6 pack the other day and they were eating a baked ziti that smelled pretty fantastic.  I asked where it came from and they said Carmine's.  I remarked how good it smelled, and I asked how it was.  The answer came back, "meh."   

Why are we all so willing to put up with mediocrity (or worse) in this town?  What do we have to do to get great pizza, or good Italian past dinner hours (2nd St. is the BOMB but it's only open for lunch.)  And why do we bury the good eateries we DO get (Melt, cough, Lombardi's)

Sorry I should take this over to the complaining thread.

Offline Mr_Grieves

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05-17-2007, 07:26pm »
Re Carmines... it just goes to show that you don't have to be great to be successful.  Everything at Carmine's is okay though nothing to rave about.  But they're consistently okay and the service is consistently good to excellent. 

On the subject, I used to rave about La Rustique.  Unfortunately, I've put them on my official downhill alert.  The last 3 pizzas were pretty lousy.  And they were cold.  And this is with picking them up within a few minutes from the time they said it would be ready.
Well just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05-17-2007, 07:05pm »
Thanks for the help. We went with Carmine's. Delivery was super fast but the pizza was... eh. Not too good, not too bad. Could have used more sauce.

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05-17-2007, 05:35pm »
They are on notice with us.  Our pizza was burnt, and not what we ordered.  They apologized, and that was it.  We paid, and the delivery guy didn't have the proper change to boot.

On notice? Really? I am flabergasted. They were really accomodating to us. Hmmm Go figure.

Offline Neeners

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05-17-2007, 05:34pm »
Hamilton Park Pizza is pretty good. Come on, let's be real. Plus they are really nice. They messed up our order once (they forgot the pepperoni) and they were really nice about it and made reparations that were quite satisfying.

They are a good outfit.

They are on notice with us.  Our pizza was burnt, and not what we ordered.  They apologized, and that was it.  We paid, and the delivery guy didn't have the proper change to boot.

Offline PhillyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05-17-2007, 05:12pm »
If you want to go out for it -- go to Esperanto's on Jersey.  Absolutely perfect giant by-the-slice pizza.  But it always gets rubbery in the box. Mmm . . . I want pizza.

I want to live like a Saudi prince. Can you get me a tent, three wifes and a camel? -- JSQ, AtS

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-17-2007, 05:10pm »
I don't think they deliver to JC- get your ass over to Grimaldi's in Hoboken.  ;D
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
« Reply #4 on: 05-17-2007, 05:09pm »
Make your own. Keep frozen dough and cheese, take out in the morning. Make fresh pizza in the evening. Better and cheaper than anything you'll find in JC.
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-17-2007, 05:08pm »

They are a good outfit.

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-17-2007, 05:04pm »
I'm looking for something that will renew my faith in Jersey City pizza.

I think you're going to be looking for more than just a few hours.  For some of us, this has been a lifelong quest which has proved fruitless.

RIP Lombardi's.

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

« Reply #2 on: 05-17-2007, 05:04pm »