Author Topic: New fish, same stink.  (Read 2218 times)

Online jehu

• View Profile
New fish, same stink.
« Reply #1 on: 03-30-2016, 06:25pm »
http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/03/political_donations_roll_in_while_zones_in_jersey.html

By Jersey Journal Guest Columnist
on March 29, 2016 at 7:00 PM, updated March 29, 2016 at 7:03 PM
By HAKIM HASAN

These days voter reassessment of the campaign promises of Mayor Steven Fulop has taken a backseat to concerns over PACs sprouting up like wild flowers to fund his gubernatorial bid. I don't worry about this a great deal. It is to be expected.

Voters in Jersey City are used to the campaign promises of their mainly inbred politicians. They are also acclimatized to corruption, greed, no show jobs, the removal of crooked mayors and administration officials, and a municipal government that fails to provide basic services in most wards outside of Downtown.

Campaign promises are the id of American political populism. Each election cycle presents voters with a variation of its nomenclature: anti-establishment, fighting the status quo, improving schools, and efficient government.

James Henry Hazel, my late intellectual mentor, told me quite matter-of-factly during one of our marathon conversations that "politics is the art of cutting up the economic pie." He also incessantly quoted what he said was a Yiddish proverb: "Those who sit around the pot eat."

Mr. Hazel's summation of American politics circumvented the stagecraft of campaign promises. It was not the apogee of cynicism. Rather, it was an assessment of how the political process works for a political apparatus far removed from the voting booth.

Financial donations to politicians basically represent the interests of a shadow government apparatus: lobbyists, lawyers, corporate entities, slumlords, developers, and business people at the local, state, and national level.

PAC money, indeed the money trails, would keep a person trained in social network analysis busy for a lifetime mapping the relationships and  social structures of this apparatus. When all is said and done, soft or hard play-to-pay interests are a rabbit hole, a labyrinth that is central to American politics.

Donald Drumpf has alluded to these special interests as he seeks the Republican nomination for president. He says that as a businessman he donated a hell of a lot of money to Democrat and Republican politicians. What does this mean?

The business sector, from top to bottom, seeks approval, legislation, and favors from politicians for their business interests. The political class is an extension of parochial and major corporate business interests. Drumpf's exchanges with Jeb Bush over this very issue exemplified what Michael Corleone said in the movie "The Godfather":  "We're both part of the same hypocrisy, senator, but never think it applies to my family."

However, a long overdue appraisal of the Democratic Party in Jersey City is equally important as the scrutiny of Fulop's campaign promises or gubernatorial PACs. The Democratic Party in this city is only separated from the Politburo and Dixiecrats by geography and history. People are suffering in the forgotten zones  and wards of our city.   They are becoming boat people on dry land despite unprecedented development throughout the city.

The reality of how the Democratic Party operates in this city is also the basis of acute cynicism among minority constituents. They are locked out of positions of real power and denied access to the economic pie. This is not a tale of two cities. Rather, it is the heart of political darkness.  This cycle of political abuse has to be broken.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Hakim Hasan is a Jersey City resident and an occasional contributor to The Jersey Journal who provides a local perspective on city life.
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm… I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

New fish, same stink.
« Reply #1 on: 03-30-2016, 06:25pm »