Author Topic: Orthodox Jews Arrive in Jersey City Neighborhood, Raising Hopes and Fears  (Read 4818 times)

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
So where can I sign up for this, because it's not just longtime homeowners that are getting lots of knocks. Literally had a realtor stop by and try to get us to sell our place, while the moving truck was out front and we were moving in.
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jersey City Creates ‘No Knock’ Registry as Relief From Realtors
Longtime homeowners say that persistent offers have at times verged on harassment
By Kate King
March 28, 2017 6:58 p.m. ET

Longtime homeowners in Jersey City, N.J., are trying to put the kibosh on endless aggressive real estate solicitations sparked by a hot property market.

In response to complaints, the Jersey City Council unanimously passed a resolution creating an anti-solicitation city program referred to as a “No Knock” registry. Residents that sign up will receive “No Knock” decals for their front doors, and violators who continue to inquire at those homes can be fined up to $2,000 and sentenced to 90 days of community service.

“It’s something that we want to address and do it in a proactive way that builds community as opposed to creating conflict,” said Council President Rolando Lavarro.

The population of Jersey City, the state’s second-largest municipality, grew 6.7% between 2010 and 2015, according to the U.S. Census.

Median housing prices there have increased 17% over the last six years, to $305,000 in 2016 from $260,000 in 2010, according to RealtyTrac.

Amid the rapid residential development, longtime homeowners say that persistent offers from real-estate investors and developers have at times escalated to the point of harassment.

Assunta Folcarelli, a crossing guard who has owned her Jersey City home for 35 years, said realtors started calling her six years ago asking to buy her home. She has repeatedly declined but said solicitors continue to call, show up at her door and send her letters.

“They keep on calling up, they want my house. I say, ‘Wait a minute, where am I going to go?’” said Ms. Folcarelli, 57 years old. “It’s kind of scary.”

Michael Griffin, a lifelong Jersey City resident and local activist, supported the registry’s creation but said the city needs to do more to protect vulnerable homeowners from developers. Mr. Griffin said the city needs to educate residents about cash offers, including in several neighborhoods where many homeowners live at or below the poverty line and the old Victorian and brownstone homes are attractive to developers, he said.

[...]

In Jersey City’s case, officials reached out to Orthodox and other clergy leaders from the beginning while developing the “No Knock” registry, said Avi Schnall, director of the New Jersey office of Agudath Israel of America, an Orthodox Jewish advocacy organization.

Orthodox Jewish buyers, many of whom were priced out of Brooklyn, have recently begun purchasing in Jersey City, and an estimated 40 to 50 Hasidic families now live there, Rabbi Schnall said.

The new registry is “fair,” he added, because “we were part of the conversation.” Read more

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ward F would be so much better if the current residents accommodated the needs of the Orthodox.  Life in the area would change for the better.  Commerce would return to the area.  The HUB would be vital.  The value of real estate would improve.  Look at Williamsburg and how it changed from what it was, not unlike jC.

I'm not getting your Williamsburg comparison. Are you saying its "success" is due to current residents (Italians? Dominicans and Puerto Ricans? hipsters?) accommodating the needs of the Orthodox Jewish? If so, how did they do that, exactly?
« Last Edit: 04-27-2016, 03:48pm by MCA™ »

Offline jehu

• View Profile
The parade survived the populace.
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm… I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline Binky

• View Profile
A Bolivian Parade in Downtown JC?  I think the location is all wrong.  I don't know many Bolivians living in Jersey City as a matter of fact.  Most likely the majority of the people that attended were not Bolivian.
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline jehu

• View Profile
It was kosher chaos.

A riot erupted at a Brooklyn restaurant last week when Orthodox Jewish patrons discovered the “kosher” hot dogs on the menu were chicken franks that didn’t answer to a higher authority.

What ensued was as unholy as the hot dogs. The eatery’s frightened manager was punched in the face and fended off the angry mob with an electric carving knife until cops finally broke up the frankfurter fracas.

“They were yelling at the guy behind the counter,” one witness told The Post. “They started spitting and throwing things at him. They were shaking the counter and trying to jump over to search the fridge.”

Members of Shomrim, the local volunteer crime patrol, was at the scene before police.

“There were at least 100 people there. We sent everybody out to the street,” a member said.

The Torah tussle began when a longtime patron noticed the unusually plump wiener he bought Monday night at Cheskel’s Shawarma King in Borough Park didn’t fit into a challah roll as usual.

Suspicious, he asked for proof of where the hot dogs were bought. The server brought him the package, which confirmed the Bar S brand jumbo chicken frank was not certified kosher.

Shocked Hasidic patrons, joined by dozens of passers-by, encircled the counter of the 13th Avenue eatery, demanding answers.

At least one patron hit besieged manager Yosef Baron in the cheek.

Baron kept them at bay by waving the electric knife in their faces an image captured on video now making the rounds on the Web.

No one was arrested.

Rabbi Naftali Meir Babad, who had certified the greasy spoon as kosher, determined the hot-dog heresy was the result of a “terrible accident.”

Earlier in the night, a non-Jewish restaurant employee was sent out to buy frankfurters from a nearby kosher market.

Instead, the worker went to a Golden Apple Farm grocery across the street and loaded up on goy wieners that just didn’t cut the mustard.

The restaurant was shut for two days as rabbis meticulously checked for other non-kosher foods.

Kitchen equipment that touched the offending meat was thrown out, and utensils were cleansed with a flame to purge any remnants of treif, or non-kosher food, in a process known as kashering.

The ultra-Orthodox community continued to boil over the roasted weenies, with talk of protests lingering all week.

“Nobody knows how long this was going on,” one man fumed.

Restaurant owner Shmuel Baron, who reopened Thursday, called it a one-time mistake.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline jehu

• View Profile
I wouldn't say yuppies are insular, elitist, most definitely, but not insular.

The yuppie community, like any other insular community, really doesn't add value to the surrounding neighbors.  They shop at yuppie owned places, eat at yuppie restaurants, and socialize mostly with other yuppies. Good for them, not so great for a community they move into.

Offline jehu

• View Profile
Think Crown Heights.

an Orthodox community in Ward F?  I think the location is all wrong :|

Online shahaggy

• View Profile
an Orthodox community in Ward F?  I think the location is all wrong :|
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline devb

• View Profile
The yuppie community, like any other insular community, really doesn't add value to the surrounding neighbors.  They shop at yuppie owned places, eat at yuppie restaurants, and socialize mostly with other yuppies. Good for them, not so great for a community they move into.

Offline jehu

• View Profile
The Orthodox community, like any other insular community, really doesn't add value to the surrounding neighbors.  They shop at Orthodox owned places, eat at orthodox restaurants, and socialize mostly with other orthodox. Good for them, not so great for a community they move into.

Offline jkm@fop.net

• View Profile
Ward F would be so much better if the current residents accommodated the needs of the Orthodox.  Life in the area would change for the better.  Commerce would return to the area.  The HUB would be vital.  The value of real estate would improve.  Look at Williamsburg and how it changed from what it was, not unlike jC.

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Orthodox Jews Arrive in Jersey City Neighborhood, Raising Hopes and Fears
4-22-16
By David Cruz
NJTV Correspondent

We have been documenting the dramatic evolution that is reshaping Jersey City — physically and culturally, mostly downtown, where condo towers are replacing empty lots. Brownstones refurbished into million dollar homes. Cafes and restaurants replacing dollar stores. But in the inner city — in the heart of the black community — an influx of Orthodox Jews have been arriving on Martin Luther King Drive over the last several months, and their presence is being noticed.

“Most of the people that’s coming here are from Brooklyn, they live in Williamsburg. In Williamsburg the prices to buy houses, it’s impossible. To buy a house in Williamsburg is $1.5 million a house,” said Yuel Perl, spokesman for the Ya’azoru Committee, which is opening a community center on MLK. “We want to live for cheap and the prices here are very cheap. Prices here is going now to buy a house $180,000, $200,000, so lower income people, we could afford these things.”

In that way, the Hasidim who have discovered the Bergen Lafayette and Greenville neighborhoods are not unlike the recently-arrived hipsters downtown, just looking for cheap housing. But Hasidim are known to be insular, and long-time residents here are known to be distrustful of anybody new. So far, the two sides seem to be just sizing each other up.

“These guys know me. I live right here,” said one man, sizing up a camera crew talking to Perl.

“I know him. He’s a nice guy,” noted Perl.

Perl says since January, 11 families have moved into this neighborhood, still one of the toughest in the city, but just blocks from the light rail station and minutes from downtown. He says 50 to 60 homes are already under contract. The committee is marketing apartments to families for affordable rents — $800 for a one-bedroom, $1,100 for a two-bedroom. Asked what he thinks this community will look like in a few years, Perl said, “We don’t know. We can’t say what’s going to be in the future. But this I have to say. We don’t want to throw out people, because here there are many houses for sale, you understand.”

Real estate agent Tina Devine grew up in this very neighborhood and has seen its demise and, now, its rise.

“The market is hot,” she said. “Sellers are getting at or above asking price. There are a lot of investors that are moving into the neighborhood and there’s low inventory so that’s creating a higher demand for the neighborhood.”

But, already, some residents have begun to complain about aggressive buyers, whose persistence — they say — borders on harassment. Asheenia Johnson is on the board of the nearby South Greenville Neighborhood Association.

“When you have people, day after day, week after week, knocking on their doors ‘do you want to sell’ and telling them that this is going to happen, that’s going to happen,” she recounted. “They’re basically scaring them into selling, and they’re offering people $90,000, $150,000 for buildings that can go for a million or better, and, as a member of the neighborhood association and as a concerned resident, I have a problem with that.” Read more
« Last Edit: 04-25-2016, 03:53pm by MCA™ »

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums