Author Topic: Yay, Jersey City!  (Read 3012 times)

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jersey City regains title as most diverse city in U.S.: study
« Reply #53 on: 02-23-2017, 02:32pm »
Jersey City regains title as most diverse city in U.S.: study
By Ron Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal
on February 22, 2017 at 1:05 PM, updated February 22, 2017 at 3:16 PM

Jersey City is No. 1 again.

The city has been named the most diverse in the nation in a WalletHub.com study released this morning. Jersey City was No. 1 in 2015 and slipped to No. 2 in 2016, although it was still considered the most diverse mid-size city last year.

"Our diversity is one of our greatest strengths as a city and something for which we are exceptionally proud," Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop said. "Jersey City has always been a welcoming home for new groups seeking a better life, bringing a diversity of cultures, religions, and languages here, which is truly the embodiment of the promise of America."

The study ranked 500 cities by using three key metrics -- ethno-racial diversity, linguistic diversity and birthplace diversity. The three categories are weighted -- with ethnoracial diversity making up 50 percent of the score. Read more

Offline AmbushBug

• View Profile
Re: Yay, Jersey City!
« Reply #52 on: 02-27-2015, 11:05am »
Is that a love letter or a checklist?

Sounds like it was written by a marketing strategist . . . a lazy one.

"We ate at [nearby restaurant], played at [local park], bought [stuff] at [store]."

Who is this fooling?

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 02-26-2015, 11:45am »
Love Letters: Jersey City, NJ
Posted: 02/25/2015 9:19 am EST
Updated: 02/25/2015 9:59 am EST

David Massoni is the proprietor of Three Kings of Kings County, which includes TALDE Brooklyn, TALDE Jersey City, Thistle Hill Tavern, Pork Slope, Carrino Provisions and the soon-to-be-opened TALDE Miami Beach. David moved to NYC in 1997 and spent 3 years under the tutelage of Chef/Owner Henry Meer at The Cub Room Restaurant and City Hall Restaurant. He then left NYC to travel around northern Italy studying wine along the way.

Dear Jersey City,

I should begin with the fact that right now I'm just a part-timer here, but I'm already in love with you, Jersey City. I was wooed by my new business partners to cross the East and Hudson Rivers to open not one, but two restaurants, a gourmet market and an event space in the former Telephone Communications Building of New Jersey and New York at 8 Erie Street. So a leap of faith doesn't even begin to cut it when you sign on to a 13,000 square foot project that at the time was a raw space filled with debris and rubble without a roof. I am, however, a dreamer and what I saw was a rare opportunity to be part of a fantastic transformation, and to fill a much needed void in a community begging for more.

So my Brooklyn business partners and I started coming to visit you every week, sometimes twice a week to get to know our new part time home. Stepping out of the Grove Street station, we were welcomed with insider knowledge. Our New Jersey business partners knew all the right places to take us, like Marco & Pepe for tapas, Satis Bistro for small bites and Razza for wood-fired pizzas. e played Galaga and drank IPA's at Barcade. We discovered a great falafel spot. We stumbled upon a killer little Cuban sandwich joint. We indulged at a perfect hole-in-the-wall Chinese dumpling house. We enjoyed a very special dinner at the delicious Thirty Acres. We sipped Stumptown coffee at Word Bookstore. After enjoying ice cream from Torico Ice Cream, we worried what would become of our waistlines. Yes, there is a trend here... we eat, and drink, a lot! Hey, it's research and development! At least that's what we tell our wives.

Which brings me to this: how did I convince my wife, Rachel, that you were going be the key to a new future for our family? I started spending Sundays dragging her, our 6-year-old, Luca, and 3-year-old, Olive, on drives and outings in and around my new part-time city. Showing you off wasn't difficult. We went to the Liberty Science Center and had brunch at Lighthorse Tavern. We had pizza lunches at Roman Nose, and shopped at Kanibal Home, E. Tittlemouse and Co., and the Sneaker Room. My kids played in Hamilton Park, watching the dogs run and enjoying the sunshine in the summer. After seeing all those dogs, we took another big step. We strengthened our bond with you when we adopted a dog from the amazing people at See Spot Rescued. His name is Jim, and we love him to pieces. We now have frequent trips Hound About Town to spoil him rotten. As predicted, my family fell for you too. I knew it wouldn't be too hard, you charmed us all easily.

With that, 2014 ended with what had started as interest and a crush blossoming into full blown love! I'm so proud to have my new businesses in such a cool and vibrant city. I'm thrilled to be a part of the passion that Mayor Fulop is nurturing. Driving around the city to see the murals courtesy of the mural arts program that infuses unique grit and charm to you. Speaking of driving, there is something so great about being able to get my car washed at the City Car Wash for $10 by a real person!

As the newcomers, you have made us feel at home, Jersey City. Each and every day, we are excited to open our doors and meet our neighbors. I find reasons to sneak away whenever I can to discover something new, and as you keep growing there seems to be a new little gem popping up every day. There's an amazing line of businesses just on our stretch of Erie Street. We meet different and supportive neighbors every day, each with a unique Jersey City story. Everything about you, Jersey City, is personal. There is a face, a life to each facet of the town. You feel like home, Jersey City. We wanted to fit in, and while we're from Brooklyn, we feel like Jersey has embraced us.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 12-23-2014, 10:43am »
Jersey City one of best cities in America to be single: report
By Summer Dawn Hortillosa / The Jersey Journal
on June 10, 2014 at 10:19 AM, updated June 10, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Jersey City is one of the best places to be single, one report says.

Rent.com's new list of the best cities in the country to be single puts Jersey City at No. 9, in part because of its many art and entertainment events. On their report on the Huffington Post, they highlight JC Fridays, a quarterly citywide festival of free arts events, as one reason JC is great for singles.

In their study, Rent.com also analyzed the percentage of unattached men and women aged 20 or over and factored in the availability of nightlife, the safety of the city and the propensity for people to actually go out and do things like dance, bar hop, and attend concerts.

Do you think Jersey City is a great place to be single? What are you favorite places to meet people or go on dates?

???

Jersey City among worst cities in America for singles, study says
By Janelle Griffith | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on December 22, 2014 at 10:42 AM, updated December 22, 2014 at 11:03 AM

If you find yourself standing solo under the mistletoe this holiday season, you might not be to blame, especially if you live in Jersey City.

A new study has found New Jersey's second largest city is among the worst for singles in the United States.

WalletHub.com, a personal finance website, ranked the 150 most populated cities in the U.S. for those seeking "the right partner."

The website considered such metrics as the percentage of singles, restaurant meal costs and the number of attractions per capita in each location.

"The city one calls home dictates such important factors as the number of prospective partners, diversity of dating activities and costs of going out," the report states.

According to WalletHub.com, Jersey City and New York rank Nos. 144 and 145 respectively. (If you're willing to move, Boise, Idaho, Madison, Wisconsin, and Denver, Colorado are the top three cities for singles).

Read more

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 09-11-2014, 11:44am »
Jersey City is nation's 2nd best up-and-coming fitness city: report
By Patrick Villanova | The Jersey Journal
on September 10, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Gyms, yoga, martial arts and more Jersey City's fitness scene is on the rise, according to a new report.

New Jersey's second largest city was ranked the No. 2 up-and-coming fitness city in the nation by Womens Health Magazine as part of their 20 Best Up-and Coming Cities for Every Social Scene report.

The list featured four categories and listed the top five cities in each group. According to the magazine's website, Women's Health partnered with Yelp on a six-month project that also produced lists of the five best up-and-coming cities for nightlife, foodies, and arts and culture.

Jersey City ranked second in the fitness category following Scottsdale, Ariz. The other three cities in the group were No. 3 Ann Arbor, Mich., No.4 Portland, Ore. and Charlotte, N.C., which checked in at No. 5.

We are thrilled that Womens Health has identified Jersey City as a city on the rise with regard to fitness as we certainly know our residents place health and wellness as priority, Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop said in a statement.

That is why we have added several new recreational programs for our youth and adults, are working to enhance bike and pedestrian assets throughout the city, are investing nearly $6 million into renovating parks and have expanded nutritional programming through our Health Department," Fulop added.

Jersey City scored highly for the number of gyms and fitness programs offered, with Women's Health citing "31 gyms, 14 Pilates studios, 14 martial-arts studios, four boxing gyms, and 10 dance studios all within 21 square miles."

Jersey City was also recently featured as the site for Dr. Ozs Heart Health Clinic as this years season opener. Additionally, Jersey City has become a member of the New Jersey Mayors Wellness Campaign and First Lady Michelle Obamas Lets Move! initiative.

For more information about wellness programming offered by the Jersey City Department of Health and Human Services, call 201-547-6800.

For more information on recreational programming for adults and children, call the Jersey City Recreation Department at 201-547-5003.

Offline moelissa

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 07-25-2014, 08:53am »
More like #5.  >:(
[08:02PM] MacabreJS: I HAVE COOTIES

Offline Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 07-23-2014, 05:42pm »
What do you mean "We"?
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
« Reply #45 on: 07-02-2014, 11:03am »
We're number 1! :nana: :pint: :nana: :wine: :nana: :whisky: :nana:

Jersey City tops list of N.J. cities with most alcoholics

on July 02, 2014 at 9:45 AM, updated July 02, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Jersey City has the most alcoholics in New Jersey, a new report says.

Jersey City had 676 cases of alcoholism treatment reported in 2013, making it the city with the most reported alcoholics in the state, Patch.com reports. Though Patch lists Newark as being right behind at No. 2, the two large cities have the same number of reported alcoholics.

The report was based off statistics provided by the Division of Addiction Services in the New Jersey Department of Human Services for the state's 565 towns. These stats only account, however, for recorded substance abuse treatment admissions.

Bayonne also made their list of the 20 most alcoholism-plagued cities, coming in at No. 10 with 190 reported cases. Despite Hoboken's local reputation as the go-to place in Hudson to get a drink, the Mile Square City did not make the list with only 63 reported cases. See all the stats for Hudson County here.

The list is dominated by urban, populated areas. For example, Trenton, Paterson and Elizabeth round out the top five.

Patch.com notes that "Independence Day also has become the deadliest holiday weekend for alcohol-related traffic crashes--even ahead of New Year's Day."

On the same day that the JJ posts its sangria recipe for the Fourth! :nana:

Actually, I crunched the numbers, and per capita, Bayonne slays us. :homer: Figures.
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 07-02-2014, 11:01am »
We're number 1! :nana: :pint: :nana: :wine: :nana: :whisky: :nana:

Jersey City tops list of N.J. cities with most alcoholics

on July 02, 2014 at 9:45 AM, updated July 02, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Jersey City has the most alcoholics in New Jersey, a new report says.

Jersey City had 676 cases of alcoholism treatment reported in 2013, making it the city with the most reported alcoholics in the state, Patch.com reports. Though Patch lists Newark as being right behind at No. 2, the two large cities have the same number of reported alcoholics.

The report was based off statistics provided by the Division of Addiction Services in the New Jersey Department of Human Services for the state's 565 towns. These stats only account, however, for recorded substance abuse treatment admissions.

Bayonne also made their list of the 20 most alcoholism-plagued cities, coming in at No. 10 with 190 reported cases. Despite Hoboken's local reputation as the go-to place in Hudson to get a drink, the Mile Square City did not make the list with only 63 reported cases. See all the stats for Hudson County here.

The list is dominated by urban, populated areas. For example, Trenton, Paterson and Elizabeth round out the top five.

Patch.com notes that "Independence Day also has become the deadliest holiday weekend for alcohol-related traffic crashes--even ahead of New Year's Day."

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06-10-2014, 01:06pm »
Jersey City one of best cities in America to be single: report
on June 10, 2014 at 10:19 AM, updated June 10, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Jersey City is one of the best places to be single, one report says.

Rent.com's new list of the best cities in the country to be single puts Jersey City at No. 9, in part because of its many art and entertainment events. On their report on the Huffington Post, they highlight JC Fridays, a quarterly citywide festival of free arts events, as one reason JC is great for singles.

In their study, Rent.com also analyzed the percentage of unattached men and women aged 20 or over and factored in the availability of nightlife, the safety of the city and the propensity for people to actually go out and do things like dance, bar hop, and attend concerts.

Do you think Jersey City is a great place to be single? What are you favorite places to meet people or go on dates?

Offline jcgov

• View Profile
    • jerseycitynj.gov
« Reply #42 on: 06-03-2014, 02:23pm »
Mayor Steven M. Fulop announced today that Jersey City has been ranked the 8th Most LGBT-Friendly City in America by the financial website Nerdwallet.

We are excited to have such a diverse community in Jersey City that is recognized nationally, said Mayor Fulop.  As we prepare to celebrate LGBT Pride Month, it is a great honor to see Jersey City ranked alongside such large cities as San Francisco, Seattle, and Chicago.

Mayor Fulop was an early supporter of gay marriage and Jersey City made history when eight couples were among the first to be married during a midnight ceremony at City Hall in October when New Jersey became the 14th state to legalize same-sex marriage.

Other cities that ranked in the top ten include Austin, Atlanta and Minneapolis.  Nerdwallet is a financial information website that according to its online profile offers data-driven tools and impartial information to help consumers make solid decisions about the money.

For the report and how the rankings were done, visit http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/cities/most-lgbt-friendly-cities

City of Jersey City
Office of Communications
http://www.jerseycitynj.gov/

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 05-15-2014, 05:56pm »
This Jersey City Reporter article pretty much matches up with what I have heard growing up.

Earl Williams, a security guard who has lived in Jersey City for 25 years, said that he heard "Chilltown" going back to when he was in elementary school in the early 1980s.

"Man, Chilltown, I used to hear that when I growing up," said Williams. "It started right up here on the Hill."

"The Hill" Williams was referring to is a section of the city where the land rises, which one notices when traveling from downtown Jersey City into the Bergen-Lafayette section.

Williams called over a friend who was hanging around the supermarket, who goes by the name of Trues.

"That name Chilltown, they call Jersey City that because you come to JC and you could chill out." said Trues. "When I grew up here, there was a different mentality."

[...]

Dwayne "Baritone" Francis broke it down. He thought back to 1980, hen he was a freshman at Hudson Catholic High School.

"I first heard it around that time, when rap was becoming popular in Jersey City," said Francis, who is now the president/founder of the recently opened Whatz So Funny? Comedy Club, located on Martin Luther King Drive.

"Back then, MCs and DJs from Manhattan or Newark would come through Jersey City and they would be welcomed at block parties without any problems." Francis mentioned old-school rappers such as Doug E. Fresh, Biz Markie, and Grandmaster Flash coming through Jersey City in the early 1980s.

"That's why Jersey City was known as Chilltown, a place where people can chill without any problems. It was like a fraternity, with a group of your peers all trying to make the music and the culture better. Like a ghetto Mayberry."

Offline Sue2dRescue

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05-15-2014, 05:42pm »
Anyone know the history of our city being referred to as "Chilltown?"
"If one studies too zealously, one easily loses his pants." -Albert Einstein

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05-15-2014, 01:04pm »
Study: Jersey City one of top cities to own a dog
on May 15, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Jersey City is one of the best cities in the country to own a dog, according to a recent study by a finance web site.

Jersey City came in at No. 3 after NerdWallet analyzed 95 of the largest cities in the U.S. for several factors including social opportunities (mostly determined by number of off-leash dog parks per 100,000 residents), affordability (including veterinarian costs) and walkability.

While Jersey City doesn't have many dog parks, the city earned high scores for its walkability. According to the study, "Chilltown" is the most walkable city for dog owners in America.

NerdWallet noted that Jersey City also has pet boutiques like Jersey City Unleashed, which they describe as a "pet resort and spa where dogs can attend day camp, receive special spa and grooming services and more."

Other fun places to take your pet include Club Barks and k9dergarten, both located Downtown.

Jersey City is also home to pet adoption centers like the Liberty Humane Society in Liberty State Park.

Jersey City was only topped by Portland, Ore., and Norfolk, Va.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 04-29-2014, 10:55am »
25 Reasons Jersey City Is The Best Place To Live. It's on BuzzFeed, so it must be true. :|

Offline DarkMoment

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 03-26-2014, 03:32am »
I "...pay for... (my) overpriced apartment..." by being here 32 years and living in a rent-stabilized apt. beyatches!  :nana:

Very true. I know my fair share of folks who are highly educated but I question how they hold down a job to pay for their over priced apartments in Jersey City. 
>:(

Offline DarkMoment

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03-26-2014, 03:25am »
I like Skinner's for food, music and adults. Barcade for the cheap craft brewskies and friends. :pint:

Skinner's, then Barcade. Discuss.

Offline raspberrie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03-25-2014, 01:50pm »
cool! Nice production values too.

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
« Reply #34 on: 03-24-2014, 02:36pm »
wut?
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Online fasteddie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03-24-2014, 02:35pm »
Iconic Jersey City burger joint featured in rap music video
By The Jersey Journal
on March 24, 2014 at 1:43 PM, updated March 24, 2014 at 1:58 PM

For decades, the White Mana in Jersey City has been known for serving up tasty sliders to hungry patrons.
The iconic burger joint on Tonnele Avenue recently added another claim to fame when it was featured in rapper Le1f's new music video for his song, "Boom" -- the first single off his new LP, "Hey."

In the video, the MC is shown rapping, dancing and of course, serving up burgers from behind the White Mana's counter. Later on, the rapper appears getting into a Jeep outside the classic diner, which served patrons during the 1939 World's Fair.

Le1f, an openly gay New York-based rapper, recently appeared on "The Late Show with David Letterman" and performed his track, "Wut."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKwLsWwlqYk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
« Last Edit: 03-24-2014, 03:11pm by CeeDub »

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
« Reply #32 on: 02-18-2014, 11:23pm »
Mighty, Muslim and Leaping Off the Page
Marvel Comics Introducing a Muslim Girl Superhero

By GEORGE GENE GUSTINES
Published: November 5, 2013

With most superheroes, when you take away the colorful costume, mask and cape, what you find underneath is a white man. But not always. In February, as part of a continuing effort to diversify its offerings, Marvel Comics will begin a series whose lead character, Kamala Khan, is a teenage Muslim girl living in Jersey City.

read the rest of the story

I just read the first installment of this. The story so far is fairly basic teen angst tale, but from a slightly different angle. Along the way, it manages to make snarky references to Greenville as well as the local "meatheads." Looking forward to the next issue.

Oh, and I think there is a signing event at Word bookstore next Monday at 7:00 PM.
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Online CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12-01-2013, 12:39pm »
Skinner's, then Barcade. Discuss.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 12-01-2013, 12:28pm »
Jersey City is the new foodie destination
By Chadner Navarro
New York Post
November 30, 2013 | 8:16pm

When news broke in October that Top Chef alum Dale Talde plans to open a second location of his popular Brooklyn eatery Talde in Jersey City next year, everyone was quick to anoint the other side of the Holland Tunnel as the next great food destination.

But Jersey Citys culinary scene has been on the rise ever since former Momofuku chef Kevin Pemoulie and his wife, Alex, opened Thirty Acres, an inventive American restaurant, to much acclaim in April 2012.

A number of talented chefs and restaurateurs, from NYC and beyond, have since followed suit, lured by cheap rents and  residents who welcome innovation and experimentation.

We all have unique spins on what we have to offer, says Jessie Isaacs, a former pastry chef at Nobu who opened her own sweets emporium, Cocoa Bakery, in Jersey City last month.

Talde isnt slated to debut until next fall, but there are plenty of other delicious reasons to hop on the PATH train before then. Here are six:

Cocoa Bakery
275 Grand St.; 201-830-3430

While owner Jessie Isaacs says her traditional cupcakes are definitely worth trying, to really get an idea of what shes doing, opt for some of her more unique combinations like a chocolate cupcake topped with chocolate stout beer buttercream ($2.75) or a chocolate-ganache-filled banana cupcake with chocolate cream-cheese frosting ($2.75). Or eschew cupcakes all together and try a delightful mini pumpkin or chocolate whoopie pie ($13 for 1/2 pound).

Sam A.M.
112 Morris St.; 201-432-2233

Dieters beware: Its all about hearty meals at this cozy cafe that only serves breakfast and lunch. The chicken & waffles ($15) forgoes frying for chicken thats roasted and accompanied by sage gravy and a house-made cranberry sauce. Worried about starting your day with such a heavy dish? Its always the right time to have chicken and waffles! enthuses Kirk. Sweeter fare, like a toasted croissant ice-cream sandwich ($6), is no less indulgent.

Milk Sugar Love
Available at various locations

Dont like fruitcake? Maybe you just havent had the right version of the oft-derided holiday treat. Emma Taylor, former Gramercy Tavern pastry cook and founder of this new organic ice cream and cakes outfit, says her fruitcake ($3 at Warehouse Cafe, 140 Bay St.) tastes better as it ages especially if you treat it right.

Keep it in an airtight container and spritz it now and then with your alcohol of choice, she says. The flavor will reach its peak in about two weeks. Still not convinced? Try some of Taylors other tasty treats, like homemade ice creams (left) in funky flavors such as lemon olive oil ($6 at Roman Nose, 125 Newark Ave).

Park & Sixth Gastropub
247 Washington St.; 201-630-4184

Owner Brian Dowlings month-old Park & Sixth Gastropub is all about comfort food made fancy. I offer a different twist to familiar food at an affordable price, says Dowling. To that end, he serves up a dry-aged Wagyu burger (right, $16) with a memorable mustard-onion jam, an oven-roasted pork chop topped with a fried egg ($21) and delightfully crispy tater tots ($7) that are more akin to goat cheese and cheddar croquettes and come with an addictive Sriracha ketchup for dipping. While Dowling insists that hes not reinventing the wheel, he ought to give himself more credit. Whatever hes doing, its delicious.

Razza
275 Grove St.; 201-356-9348

Chef Dan Richers Maplewood, NJ, restaurant, Arturos, landed him in the semifinals for a James Beard Award in 2011. At his year-old Jersey City outpost, Razza, its all about the bread. His favorite loaf is an unleavened rustic rye made with a mix of locally grown rye flour and locally milled wheat flour thats served with homemade butter (left, $4). Its a simple combo that makes for breaded bliss. The way the two come together at the last second before you bite into it is what makes this dish special, Richer gushes.

Thirty Acres
500 Jersey Ave.; 201-435-3100

No signature dishes, Kevin Pemoulie says of the menu at the restaurant he manages with his wife Alex (both right). We want customers to return because they are excited to try new things. The kitchens offerings rotate based on market availability, and fish entrees like an arctic char with grapefruit-glazed turnips ($26) are consistently great. So is the impossibly tender beef-tongue sandwich ($12), a brunch standby elevated by Latin accoutrements such as chipotle eggplant and avocado.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11-19-2013, 04:41pm »
Jersey City No. 1 in NJ for LGBT community, report says
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on November 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM, updated November 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM

The gay, lesbian and transgender community finds more support in Jersey City than any other New Jersey municipality, according to a new study by gay rights group Human Rights Campaign.

Jersey City beat out other gay-friendly cities like Asbury Park, Lambertville and Ocean Grove thanks to transgender-inclusive healthcare benefits, openly gay city leaders and active engagement with the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community.

Jeffrey Campbell, who runs Hudson Pride Connections Center, located in Jersey City, said he's not surprised the city is viewed well by the HRC.

City leaders, including Mayor Steve Fulop, are "paying attention" to all minority communities, which creates "a very inclusive environment," Campbell said.

"In his quest to make Jersey City No. 1 in five years, I think he is very clear that that does include the large population of LGTB folks here in the city, he said. "He's got to do the work and he's doing it."

Dubbed the Municipal Equality Index, the study awards points based on whether the municipality has non-discrimination laws, whether the city has gay-inclusive services and whether local police engage with the gay and transgender residents. Jersey City won 100 points, 41 points more than Asbury Park, which has a very active LGBT community.

Last year, Jersey City scored 83 points on the HRC's Municipal Equality Index.

"We have one of the largest LGBT communities in the state and I have long advocated for equality for our LGBT community, including marriage equality," said Fulop, who officiated at eight gay marriages in a midnight ceremony at City Hall on Oc. 21. "It was an honor last month to play a small part of history as we celebrated the first same-sex marriages in our state's history and we will continue to advocate for the equal treatment of all of our citizens."

Nationwide, 25 cities won 100 points this year, including Minneapolis; St. Louis, Mo.; and Columbus, Ohio.

Here in New Jersey, New Brunswick and Ocean Grove scored 77 points; Lambertville, 76; Paterson, 60; Asbury Park, 50; and Trenton, 57.

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

« Reply #29 on: 11-19-2013, 04:41pm »