Author Topic: 2 more popular restaurants are expanding to the state's hottest dining mecca  (Read 564 times)

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
Montclair's Uncle Momo is following the culinary migration east to Jersey City, opening a second outpost of the French Lebanese restaurant in the space occupied by longtime favorite Marco & Pepe, which closed after 16 years in March.

The new location comes on the heels of the opening of Ani Ramen, the no-reservations Montclair ramen house, on Newark Avenue, and with the news that Diesel & Duke, the upscale burger chain with locations in New Brunswick and Montclair, are also planning a Jersey City outpost.

"Jersey City is like the Village," says Ali Lyoussi, who owns Uncle Momo with chef Wissam El Masri. "Everybody is moving from the city. I like the vibe of Jersey City, and the concept we have here in Montclair is not there."

The menu heavily reflects El Masri's Lebanese background (falafel, $13.50; shish kabob, $16-$23; makenek, Lebanese sausage served with pomegranate molasses, $12.95) with a nod to Lyoussi's Moroccan heritage (lamb tagine with almonds and caramelized prunes, $24, while the mood and decor has a French bistro vibe. "When you go inside, you feel like you are in Paris," he says.

The restaurant's pita is celebrated, as is its "pitza," pita with a variety of toppings, from the lemon-marinated chicken ($14) to the shrimp and scallops with garlic and parsley sauce ($15). Expect the same at the Jersey City location at 289 Grove St. Lyoussi expects to open in two or three months.

Meanwhile, Diesel & Duke is shooting for an October opening at 389 Monmouth Street. "It's turned into a beautiful city," says co-owner David Cusumano, who opened the first Diesel in New Brunswick in 2014 with Kevin Rezvani. "The demographics are there. We feel that we can bring something to table there."

continue...
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums