Author Topic: The Korean Restaurant on West Side Ave - CLOSED  (Read 5162 times)

Offline cyclotronic

• View Profile
Re: The Korean Restaurant on West Side Ave
« Reply #6 on: 05-11-2007, 04:18pm »
I think it was slightly better 2 owners ago (3+ years back?) but it's currently still very good, and way better than the last owners.  I'll second the mackeral and bi bim bop, and I also like the seafood pancake and the various cuts of grilled beef, although the table cooking is largely gone.

Alnooor (yes, 3 o's), the halal grocery/grill next door is also great.  It's pretty much takeout only, but there's a table or two if you really want to sit there.  They make the best grilled whole chicken in the city for $8, or $4.50 for a half.  Unfortunately they don't have much in the way of sides, but I walk from the PATH and get baba ganoush and tomato/cucumber salad from Morgan Fish on JFK (which will be the subject of another thread, I'm sure) and white rice from a random Chinese takeout on Sip.  If you call from JSQ to order your chicken, it'll be ready right when you walk into Alnooor 15-20 mins later.  Highly recommended.

Offline worm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-11-2007, 02:41pm »
It's on West Side Ave., near Duncan (next to the hardware store). I went there once, years ago. The food was indeed good, but no better than other Korean places in Bergen County. I remember feeling like I was in someone's kitchen -- and not in the good way.

The place has changed hands several times over the past few years so it might be a differnet experience for you if you went back.  I don't want to compare it to other Korean restaurants in Bergen county, because like I said, the ambiance is severely lacking.  But as far as JC is concerned, I don't know of any other Korean places to eat at and I don't know of any restaurant around that serves a minimum of five complimentary appetizers with your meal.  You can eat like a king (in someone's kitchen) for under 15 bucks.

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-11-2007, 01:17pm »
It's on West Side Ave., near Duncan (next to the hardware store). I went there once, years ago. The food was indeed good, but no better than other Korean places in Bergen County. I remember feeling like I was in someone's kitchen -- and not in the good way.

Offline PhillyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-11-2007, 01:16pm »
Where is it?
I want to live like a Saudi prince. Can you get me a tent, three wifes and a camel? -- JSQ, AtS

Offline Olewnick

• View Profile
    • Just Outside
« Reply #2 on: 05-11-2007, 01:10pm »
Dong Won?

(All jokes anticipated)

Offline worm

• View Profile
The Korean Restaurant on West Side Ave - CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: 05-11-2007, 12:46pm »
 I can't keep it to myself anymore. IMHO, this place is the best kept secret in all of JC.
Yes, yes, the ambiance leaves much to be desired. But the food is amazing. For all of you who have never had Korean food before, you have no idea what you are missing.  It's one of the few cultures that equally caters to almost every type of eater.  Plenty of veggie dishes, fish dishes and hard core meat dishes.  From spicy to plain, complicated to simple.  
  I strongly recommend their grilled mackeral and their bi bim bop (ask for it w/o meat if you are a vegetarian).  The complimentary sides are also very good. I especially enjoy the potato salad and the seaweed salad.  Has anyone else been to this place? Curious to hear what you think.
« Last Edit: 02-17-2012, 08:11pm by MCA »

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

The Korean Restaurant on West Side Ave - CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: 05-11-2007, 12:46pm »