Author Topic: Bread & Salt  (Read 885 times)

Offline fasteddie

• View Profile
Re: Bread & Salt
« Reply #3 on: 10-08-2019, 02:41pm »
" elevated-slice movement."  ::)

Online M«A

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bread & Salt
« Reply #2 on: 10-08-2019, 02:20pm »
The New York Times has reviewed Bread & Salt. Good thing I went last summer, before you.

Chasing the Perfect Slice, Bread and Salt in Jersey City Looks to Rome

Bread and Salt
NYT Critic's Pick / ★★ / Italian;Pizza / $ / 435 Palisade Avenue, Jersey City

By Pete Wells
Oct. 8, 2019. Updated 1:15 p.m. ET

For a long time, the seriousness of a pizzeria could be gauged by a simple yes-or-no question: Did it sell pizza by the slice? The ones that cared the most about upholding traditions, maintaining quality and so on ó like Totonnoís, Johnís of Bleecker Street, Kestť, Lucali, Una Pizza Napoletana ó emphatically did not.

Today, we live in the era of the elevated slice joint. Some of them, like Scarrís, grind wheat berries into new flour every day. Many use minuscule quantities of yeast; others abandon commercial yeast altogether in favor of the natural leavening in sourdough starters. There are slice joints that ferment their dough for a day, some that let it bubble away for two days and a few that go in for three days. A new example of the breed, F&F Pizzeria, opened in Brooklyn last week with the help of a baker whose starter dough has traveled internationally and another baker who has decades of experience at the end of a pizza paddle. Among themselves, these new-school pizza makers speak of hydration levels, fermentation periods and digestibility.

Many of these slice masters are chasing an ideal version of the foldable, portable triangle sold across linoleum counters in all five boroughs, a search suffused with nostalgia for an era before processed cheese, sweetened sauce and wholesale dough. Others are celebrated for achievements in the square slice, a descendant of the Sicilian, with an airier, less doughy crust; leaders in this style include Corner Slice and Mamaís Too.

Perhaps the smallest group of all are the bakers who turn their eyes toward Rome, where the slices are rectangular and are known as pizza al taglio. They resemble focaccia more than a $3 slice from Rayís, and itís doubtful that the practitioners of this style even think of themselves as belonging to the elevated-slice movement. But Iíd argue that they do belong to it, and that some of the most elevated slices in the area at the moment are the Roman-style ones that Bread and Salt sells inside its bakery and restaurant on Palisade Avenue, up in the Jersey City Heights. Read more

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
Bread & Salt
« Reply #1 on: 09-12-2019, 10:04am »
I haven't been to Bread & Salt so if anyone has, please add your review.

https://ny.eater.com/2019/9/11/20859249/bread-and-salt-jersey-city-best-new-pizza-nyc-restaurants
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Bread & Salt
« Reply #1 on: 09-12-2019, 10:04am »