Author Topic: Sava Polish Deli - CLOSED  (Read 26303 times)

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
Re: Sava Polish Deli
« Reply #43 on: 04-21-2014, 10:22am »
Stanley’s Prime Meat Market in the Heights is still going strong.

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/2013/06/21/good-eats-stanleys-prime-meat-market/

"Despite the name, which suggests that it’s a butcher shop, (they do sell some raw cuts of beef, chicken and pork if you ask) Stanley’s is an old school, completely-from-scratch, Polish provisioner and edibles emporium. Stan’s sits proudly on the corner of Central Avenue and South Street, door wide open, American and Polish flags flapping side by side, and an honest showcase window full of ready-to-eat, home made Polish specialties. If you’ve got any sort of eye (or nose) for homey-looking trays of stuffed cabbage, mushroom salad, poppy seed cakes, or the intoxicating aroma of the mingling of pork and wood smoke wafting over the street, you’ll find yourself stopping on the sidewalk and stepping through the threshold of this local gem."

Stanley's Prime Meat Market
425 Central Ave
Jersey City, NJ 07307
(201) 795-0558
[02:35 PM] jehu: and the only people on here who gives good advice are few.

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 04-19-2014, 06:15pm »
AmbushBug told me Sava's closed. I walked over there and can confirm.

Offline pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08-08-2009, 09:20am »

Offline HippyWitch

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08-08-2009, 03:14am »
We stopped by there tonight around 9:00pm. I got a pork chop to go with sauerkraut... AWESOME!! We had first tried it there a few months ago with kraut and pierogies, IT was delicious. For some odd reason I had a craving for pork chops and we passed Sava on the way home and I got one. I came home and devoured that thing, without heating it up.. that is how good it is and how disgusting I am. :) :)

The lady who owns the place is super nice, she kept calling me baby lol lol lol. It's was only $6.50 for a giant pork chop and a huge serving of kraut. :)

Good Shit YO

AmbushBug

« Reply #39 on: 07-29-2009, 01:17pm »
She just likes me because I told her she cooks like my momma.

That and maybe cos I was humming a Polish gypsy song when I walked in.

hej Bóg Siê Rodzi Moc Truchleje
nie Ma Nie Ma Ciebie....
« Last Edit: 07-29-2009, 01:21pm by AmbushBug »

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07-29-2009, 10:35am »
We went for dinner as well. We got there just as she was closing up and got some great food and great conversation about all the cats that she inherited from behind the store from when it was Tanya's. :) Though she did seem disappointed when I told her, that I wasn't Polish. I had to explain that the nose is Sicilian and the hair is Swedish.

AB had the pork ribs, veggies and the beet salad. I had a stuffed cabbage, meatloaf and the beet salad. I would like to point out that part of what makes the meatloaf so damn awesome is that she breads and then deep fries it. Oh man oh man. But all together it was $20, she even apologized for it costing so much saying that the ribs were more expensive.

Though judging by how much more beet salad AB got, maybe I should've told her I was Polish after all. ;)
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline Olewnick

• View Profile
    • Just Outside
« Reply #37 on: 07-29-2009, 08:37am »
Spurred by this thread, I stopped in last evening despite not particularly thinking stick-to-the-ribs Polish food was made to order for miserably humid days. Only person there, as usual, Sava complaining about lack of business, explaining how she makes her cold borscht, calling me "lovey".

Had the pork goulash, kapusta (good, savory cabbage) and mashies, a huge portion for $8. Tough to beat.

Offline Olewnick

• View Profile
    • Just Outside
« Reply #36 on: 07-28-2009, 03:52pm »
I do wonder if I can buy food more in bulk, more "deli" style? I absolutely adore the pickled beet salad that she makes and would gladly buy it in quarts if able.

Pretty sure yes. That beef rib I raved about last year--we ordered 20 portions and served it at Xmas dinner to the unanimous raves of the (half-Polish) family.

Offline PunkyDJ

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07-28-2009, 03:37pm »
The kielbasa is pretty decent, and the woman who runs the place is super, super nice. I'm not a fan of sauerkraut though, and last time I went, I got a stomach ache - that was probably my own fault tho, as I ate too fast!!

Offline jc_insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07-28-2009, 03:33pm »
WOW! Today's was just my 2nd visit to Sava, and I swear this did not look appetizing at all to me, but man, I devoured everything here in under 2 minutes! Yum!

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07-28-2009, 02:31pm »
I do wonder if I can buy food more in bulk, more "deli" style? I absolutely adore the pickled beet salad that she makes and would gladly buy it in quarts if able.

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07-28-2009, 02:23pm »
Agreed, it's tough to want stuff cabbage in 85 degree weather, but man, her food is so good that I do.

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07-28-2009, 02:23pm »
Is it really in trouble? Last time I went it seemed pretty well attended...

It'd be a real shame if they closed up shop. Some of the best food I've ever had. Not in Jersey City—ever.

Not trying to start any rumors that it is closing but I did speak with the owner and she said business has not been good and that it is definitely a struggle to make rent, insurance, etc.

AmbushBug

« Reply #30 on: 07-28-2009, 02:03pm »
Is it really in trouble? Last time I went it seemed pretty well attended...

It'd be a real shame if they closed up shop. Some of the best food I've ever had. Not in Jersey City—ever.

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07-28-2009, 12:59pm »
Wake up people, Sava's is in trouble. If you haven't tried it yet, go check out a true local business serving quality homemade food. Best food in town and I'm hooked on it.

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05-22-2009, 12:08pm »
They're trying to drive up some business and appeal to the music loving population downtown. They do have great pierogies. Everything I've had there is great. The kapusta is ridiculously good.

Even if you don't go tonight, do yourself a favor and try Sava's if you haven't already. It's real and delicious home-cooked food and the lady who works there is as sweet as can be.

:yum:

Online jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05-22-2009, 12:03pm »
Actually no Shahaggy... I like jazz and I am fond of pierogis... no reason I can't have both!
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm… I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Online shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05-22-2009, 11:46am »
Live Jazz and Blues at Sava's this Friday, May 22 at 8 pm. BYO.

gee, that's not too random
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Online jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05-22-2009, 11:43am »
Will they be serving pierogis during the jazz?
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm… I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05-22-2009, 08:11am »
No idea. Just thought I'd spread the word for my favorite comfort food spot downtown.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05-21-2009, 09:56pm »
Wow, cool.  Any word on how long this will go for?

8)
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05-21-2009, 06:09pm »
Live Jazz and Blues at Sava's this Friday, May 22 at 8 pm. BYO.

Offline Olewnick

• View Profile
    • Just Outside
« Reply #21 on: 12-19-2008, 02:31pm »
I stopped in on Wednesday to pick up some dinner and spied the beef rib. Oh, man. An incredibly tender and flavorful (molasses glaze?) hunk of meat about 2x2x7 inches. A little pricier than most of her stuff but well worth it.

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12-19-2008, 02:05pm »
Well, I just got back from Sava for lunch and I suggest that everyone make sure that they stop in there today. Nothing better to keep you warm this weekend then a belly full of tasty stuffed cabbage and kasha.

And surprisingly with the storm she was still very busy. I'm thinking the reason why she started out so slowly in terms of buisness is because she opened in the warmer weather, but now man, that stuff is perfect on a snowy day.

Also if someone could help me figure out what sort of magicness she does to her beets that I just can't seem to do, I would be forever grateful.  ;D

Offline kitten

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09-30-2008, 10:03am »
Do you think they would do better if they a bit more fancy with table service? Like change it into more of a dinner spot and have people BYOB and have food servers and what not.

I think her last location really lent itself to being a lunch-focused establishment but now she might be better served changing it up a bit. What do you think?

I don't know how fancy it needs to be, but, yeah, it needs to be cozier. Maybe if it actually was "cafeteria" style people would go there for lunch. Part of the problem may be that it takes too long for her to serve people. I don't know. I also hate the containers she uses, they have leaked on me 5 out of 5 times.

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09-30-2008, 09:48am »
Do you think they would do better if they a bit more fancy with table service? Like change it into more of a dinner spot and have people BYOB and have food servers and what not.

I think her last location really lent itself to being a lunch-focused establishment but now she might be better served changing it up a bit. What do you think?

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08-18-2008, 04:04pm »
This place is excellent. Superb food. Very nice service. Great Value.

Go Go Go.

AmbushBug

« Reply #16 on: 08-16-2008, 09:00pm »
Cannot possibly reccommend this place enough. The food is the definition of home-made, with lots of care and flavor to spare. Yes, the decor is a little rough but it doesn't look unclean, more like you're walking into someone's kitchen. Frankly, with food like theirs I could care less about decor.

Stuffed cabbage: great flavor and good sauce.

Stuffed mushrooms: Good crust and a great spice mixture.

Beet salad: A must to try. Sometimes she doesn't mention it so you have to specifically ask for it.

Kindelan, they have kasha every day and it's almost as good as my mother's (Kasha was, sadly, the only thing Madam Bug knew how to cook other than Portuguese meatballs). Incidentially, her meatloaf/stuffed mushroom spice mix is almost exactly the same my mother used to make, only properly cooked.

Seriously, I tasted it and two decades of misspent Shabbat dinner meatloaf flashed in front of my eyes.

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07-31-2008, 02:07pm »
This place is really a diamond in the rough (only rough to the extent that it's a no-frills, home-cooking kind of place). The food is cheap and just excellent and the lady who works there is so nice. I had the Polish combo which included a ton of kielbasa and saurkraut, pierogies and stuffed cabbage. It's all homemade and delicious.

Please check it out - they could use the business!

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05-08-2008, 12:47pm »
Had lunch here about a week ago with Wednesday, Justi, and Mrs. Justi.  Went family style throw down on meatloaf, pierogis, gulash, pork chops, stuffed mushrooms, and sides.

Freakin' great though as I was recovering from food poisoning at the time, was a little put off by the food storage- everything in a steam table in one location and seemed a little close to one another- but again, I'm currently overly sensitive to this issue.

But very fresh, very tasty, very friendly service and we will be back.  Everything was excellent.
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Offline Olewnick

• View Profile
    • Just Outside
« Reply #13 on: 04-19-2008, 09:55am »
Buon Appetito (or some variation thereof).

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04-18-2008, 06:10pm »
Tough decision to be made on the way home from work between Sava, the Italian deli and Szechuan Gourmet these days.

What Italian Deli are you referring to?

Offline Olewnick

• View Profile
    • Just Outside
« Reply #11 on: 04-18-2008, 03:15pm »
I'm a little afraid business might worsen as it gets warmer as, at least for me, this kind of heavy, hearty food is more geared to colder weather. I've been five or six times and it's been consistently good. If the pork shoulder's available, give it a try. Tough decision to be made on the way home from work between Sava, the Italian deli and Szechuan Gourmet these days.

Offline Hurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04-17-2008, 09:12am »
I had the stuffed cabbage and pierogies.  Both were excellent.  Yeah,  you can get pierogies in the frozen food aisle at ShopRite but it's not the same.  Sava's makes them fresh and it shows.

When asked how the buisiness is going she replied "I don't know." and "People don't know I'm here because I'm new." which led me to believe things aren't going that great.  If you enjoy the food you should stop back in otherwise we may be having yet another sb conversation as to why it didn't work out.

The appearance of the place could be better.  It kinda looks half finished but don't let that stop you.  It's good homemade food.  I found the selection a bit overwhelming so I picked two random things and as I said before, both were excellent.

Offline Woodsy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03-24-2008, 02:29pm »
The Mrs and I went there Saturday to pick up Kielbasa and pierogis for Easter breakfast.  I could not believe the amout of Kielbasa that we got for $8.  So yummy!

Offline grovester

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02-21-2008, 04:38pm »
Woodsy,
Thanks for the link.  I wouldn never have figured out they had a website without it. 
I'm definitely a Savas fan.
"Don't you do it!  That's a slippery slope.  One day you'll wake up and find yourself posting as grovepointester."

Offline Woodsy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-20-2008, 03:32pm »
How is the Kasha at this place? Kasha is a whole grain. Whole Grains are some of the healthiest things you can put in your mouth.

I like kasha too! They sell it by the box, but I didn't see it on the menu:

http://savapolishdeli.com

I don't know why it isn't on the menu but when we went there Monday night it was an option as one of the side dishes.

Offline missa

• faerie unicorn in perpetuam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02-20-2008, 03:29pm »
mmm...

polish soul food.

i swear she uses the black market smuggled polish wild mushrooms in those pierogies. they taste like the ones my friends mom brought back from poland a few years ago.  yum.
"How do you know that you hate children? Try sauteeing them with a little wine and garlic, and maybe they'll taste just fine."-- alb

Offline super_furry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02-20-2008, 03:19pm »
How is the Kasha at this place? Kasha is a whole grain. Whole Grains are some of the healthiest things you can put in your mouth.

I like kasha too! They sell it by the box, but I didn't see it on the menu:

http://savapolishdeli.com
I believe in kama

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02-19-2008, 05:00pm »

Offline Olewnick

• View Profile
    • Just Outside
« Reply #3 on: 02-19-2008, 10:42am »
See related thread at the other place.

Good stuff there. I'm going back on Friday to gather some goodies to bring up to my Polish pop on the occasion of his 85th birthday.

Offline Woodsy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02-19-2008, 08:51am »
The Mrs. and I picked up dinner from Sava last night.  We shared an order of Hungarian goulash with rice and an order of stuffed cabbage with kraut.  We also ordered 6 pierogis.  The food was excellent, the portions generous, and we could tell that the owner truly put her heart and soul into making the food.  The food was truly delicious and we were stuffed by the end of the meal.  All this for $14!

They have a different special ever night so we will be coming back some Wednesday soon to try their borscht.  I sincerely hope that they make a success of this business as their food is outstanding and their prices are quite reasonable.  And of course it is wonderful to have another authentic ethnic restaurant in JC.

Offline Woodsy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sava Polish Deli - CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: 02-19-2008, 08:35am »
Sava Polish Deli
346 Grove St.
Jersey City
201-451-1901

Map it!

Polish Restaurant and deli, serving tasty homestyle Polish food and made to order pierogis.  They also carry a good selection of fresh and smoked Polish sausages and meats as well as a variety of other Polish foods.

Apparently the owner ran a similar restaurant on Newark Ave. near the courthouse for 20 years prior to opening Sava.
« Last Edit: 08-04-2015, 03:12pm by MCA™ »

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Sava Polish Deli - CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: 02-19-2008, 08:35am »