Linked Events

• EPC Members Meeting: 10-25-2008
  • BENEFIT: EMBANKMENT: 06-02-2009
  • Embankment Spring Fling: 04-26-2010
  • Embankment Annual Meeting: 10-10-2010
  • Embankment Clean Up Day: 10-23-2010
  • Wine Tasting for Embankment: 12-12-2010

Author Topic: The EMBANKMENT  (Read 104480 times)

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
:nana:

Fulop: Agreement reached to develop part of 6th Street Embankment, build park on rest
Updated Oct 24, 2019; Posted Oct 24, 2019
By Joshua Rosario | The Jersey Journal

The 15-year legal battle for the Sixth Street Embankment in Downtown Jersey City could come to an end under a proposed settlement that would allow the city to build an elevated park on the former rail line, Mayor Steve Fulop said.

The settlement, which has been agreed upon in principle but not finalized, would allow New York developer Albanese Organization to build two residential towers at the eastern end of the six-block embankment. The city, in turn, would gain control of the rest of the land and build an eight-acre elevated park, similar to New York’s High Line, Fulop said. Read more

Offline speaknj

• View Profile
Bonding - 6th Street Embankment
« Reply #169 on: 09-27-2015, 07:31pm »
Speak NJ is a public access cable program that airs in Jersey City and Bayonne.  Mondays, Jersey City 10:30 PM and Tuesdays 9:00 PM, Channel 51. In Bayonne, channel 19, Tuesdays @ 9:00 PM

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
Developer calls Jersey City mayor a liar, mayor's flack calls developer 'delusional'

JERSEY CITY -- Presenting the Battle of the Steves.

In this corner, Steve Fulop, elected Jersey City's mayor in May 2013. Challenging him is Steve Hyman, who has been in a decades-long legal battle with Jersey City over his attempts to develop the Sixth Street Embankment.

The two were friendly when Fulop was a councilman, but once Fulop was elected mayor and continued the city's attempts to seize the embankment, which Hyman purchased from Conrail in 2005, their friendship soured.

The personal dispute went public on Tuesday, when Hyman appeared in front of the City Council to allege that Fulop is lying when he says he wants to turn the embankment into a High Line-style park. Fulop wants to develop it, Hyman said.

"He will allow it to happen after he becomes governor, after he fails as mayor," he said. "It will happen because it just doesn't make any sense to let it sit there fallow."

follow link above for rest of story...
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline AmbushBug

• View Profile
Re: The EMBANKMENT
« Reply #167 on: 09-24-2014, 02:22pm »
Has Boggs given a reason for his vote against?

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
Horgan said the ordinance was aimed directly at robbing his client’s property and “You are willing to do this because you’ve been told it’s a cheap way to confiscate my client’s property so that a few people in the most affluent ward of the city can have another park.

This is a pretty stupid argument, when you look at a map for where most of the city's park space is located.
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Not in the article below: the vote was 7-1-1 in favor, with Ward C Councilman Boggiano voting no and Ward C Councilman Ramchal abstaining.

Another hurdle cleared for Jersey City in fight for Sixth Street Embankment
By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal
on September 24, 2014 at 7:37 AM, updated September 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM

The Jersey City City Council passed an ordinance last night furthering the decade-long battle to wrest control of the Sixth Street Embankment from the developer who purchased it from Conrail for $3 million, but the attorney for the developer made it clear that he is not giving up.

“We are informed and moving forward. I vote aye,” said Council President Rolando Lavarro of the ordinance that authorized the city to make an Offer of Financial Assistance to the Surface Transportation Board to begin running freight trains again on the embankment or for other public use, such as open space.

In the event the OFA is accepted by the STB, the ordinance authorizes the city’s corporate counsel to solicit proposals including for construction or operation of interim freight rail facilities.

It also says that if the city successfully acquires the embankment through the OFA process, the city is authorized to solicit proposals from consultants to prepare plans for restoration of the freight line for “rail purposes to the extent practicable with other public purposes.”

Before the vote, more than a dozen residents spoke at the hearing and said they were in favor of the ordinance because they want the embankment to be used as a park.

Dan Horgan, the attorney for the developer, said that the city’s proposal to the STB offering to operate a freight line on the embankment is untrue.

Horgan said the ordinance was aimed directly at robbing his client’s property and “You are willing to do this because you’ve been told it’s a cheap way to confiscate my client’s property so that a few people in the most affluent ward of the city can have another park.

“You can condemn it for a park, but you have to pay for it,” Horgan continued. “Your minds are closed to what you are doing. Do freight trains make sense on Sixth Street? Of course not. You will have to promise that (to the STB), only to later say, ‘Well, not really. We want a park.’”

The latest twist in the struggle to control the embankment came earlier this year when a court ruled that Conrail had no right to sell the rail line and that only the STB could authorize that.

The ordinance says that if the STB accepts the OFA and allows the city to acquire the embankment, “The city must continue efforts to provide freight rail service on the line for two years before it may seek discontinuance of service.”

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 09-09-2014, 01:55pm »
Jersey City set to move ahead to gain control of Sixth Street Embankment

The Jersey City City Council tomorrow will introduce an ordinance allowing it to file an application to the Surface Transportation Board in another step in the decade-long struggle over control of the Sixth Street Embankment.

Prior to last night's city council caucus meeting, the council and Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop met in closed session for about an hour to discuss the future of the 11-block embankment, which has not been used for rail traffic since 1996.

In February, appellate court judges in Washington, D.C., agreed with a District Court decision that the embankment is a rail line and is subject to state law that requires Jersey City have the first opportunity to purchase the land, according to the Embankment Preservation Coalition.

The previous owner of the embankment, Conrail, sold the property — which runs along the south side of Sixth Street from Marin Boulevard to Brunswick Street — to developer Steve Hyman for $3 million nearly a decade ago.

After the ruling, Fulop said he is committed to a partnership with the Embankment Coalition to create a world-class park on the more than six-acre embankment.

The coalition envisions a park on the embankment similar to Manhattan's High Line Park.

Also tomorrow, the council will hold a final vote on renaming the new West District police facility the "Detective Melvin Vincent Santiago Police Facility," in honor of the slain officer.

Santiago, 23, was gunned down by Lawrence Campbell, 27, of Grant Avenue, on July 13.

Santiago was responding to a call of a robbery when he Campbell shot Santiago in the head moments before other officer dunned Campbell down.

Finally, at tomorrow's meeting, the council will vote on amendments to the city's $501 million 2014 budget.

[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 09-04-2014, 12:32pm »
Lavarro orders closed special meeting over Sixth Street Embankment, Bright and Varick

In a memo from City Clerk Robert Byrne to members of the Jersey City Council, Council President Rolando Lavarro ordered a special meeting for Monday, September 8th at 5:00 PM.

The meeting, which will be closed to the public, will be held to “discuss pending litigation and matters within the attorney client privilege” regarding the Sixth Street Embankment.

Sources have informed Hudson County View that no settlement has been agreed on to end the decade-long legal battle.

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Embankment sits lined with trees as future still uncertain
« Reply #162 on: 03-01-2014, 09:43am »
The Sixth Street Embankment sits lined with trees as future still uncertain
By Mike D'Onofrio/The Jersey Journal
on February 22, 2014 at 3:00 AM, updated February 22, 2014 at 3:04 AM

A panel of federal judges has upheld a court ruling that said the sale of the Sixth Street Embankment in Jersey City to a private developer was invalid, paving the way for the city’s plan to transform the Downtown property into a park.

Appellate judges in Washington, D.C., Wednesday agreed with a District Court decision in September that the embankment is a rail line and is subject to state law that requires Jersey City have the first opportunity to purchase the land, according to the Embankment Preservation Coalition.

“It’s nice to see the courts validate what we have been saying,” said Stephen Gucciardo, president of the Embankment Preservation Coalition. “It’s a huge win for us.”

The previous owner of the embankment, Conrail, sold the property — which runs along the south side of Sixth Street from Marin Boulevard to Brunswick Street — to developer Steve Hyman for $3 million nearly a decade ago.

In 2012, the city and Hyman reached a tentative settlement in which the city would purchase most of the roughly mile-long parcel for $7 million and create a Highline-style park, while Hyman would retain one block. Hyman had wanted to develop the entire property.

Wednesday’s ruling reaffirms that Hyman’s deeds to the property are invalidated, Gucciardo said, and Conrail will reassume ownership of the property.

“This is another step that only serves to validate the city’s position on the embankment,” Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop said in a statement on the coalition’s website. “We are committed to this fight and partnership with the Embankment Coalition to create a world-class citywide park in Jersey City.”

If Hyman does not appeal the latest ruling, Gucciardo said the city will have a chance to buy the property for the original sale price of $3 million.

Hyman could not immediately be reached for comment.

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 02-20-2014, 10:21pm »
Fulop broke Healy, and so go the spoils.

Online jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 02-20-2014, 10:19pm »
Wouldn't that be Healy breaks Hyman?
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm… I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
« Reply #159 on: 02-20-2014, 09:52pm »
:nana:
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Online Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 02-20-2014, 09:48pm »
Now, If we could only wind up paying only what Hyman was originally paying.  I'm sure "equivalent terms" will have changed.
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 02-20-2014, 09:46pm »
And a tongue-lashing for Hyman!  Dude is a total jerk.

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 02-20-2014, 09:29pm »
Good news, everyone! From today's EPC newsletter:

Jersey City, RTC, Coalition Prevail at U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit Appeals Court Affirms District Court's Summary Judgment

February 19.  A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington today affirmed the regulated legal status of the Harsimus Branch and its historic Embankment. The higher court agreed with the September 30, 2013, ruling by the U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, that the Harsimus Branch is a rail line subject to Surface Transportation Board (STB) jurisdiction. 

Wholly apart from STB regulation, this means, as the current owner's attorneys have elsewhere admitted, that the current owner's deeds are invalid. Moreover, under applicable state law, at a minimum the line cannot be sold by Conrail to a developer without its first being offered to the City of Jersey City on equivalent terms. The City desires to acquire the property for historic preservation, park, open space, trail, and transportation corridor purposes.

Responding to the Appeals Court ruling, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop said, "This is another important step that only serves to validate the City's position on the Embankment. We are committed to this fight and partnership with the Embankment Coalition to create a world-class citywide park in Jersey City. "

Charles Montange, joint federal rail attorney for Jersey City, RTC, and the Coalition, said, "The United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit appropriately made short shrift of the continued efforts by the developer to prolong this litigation. As Conrail has made clear, the developer has known or at least should have known all along that the Harsimus Branch was a line of railroad subject to the abandonment jurisdiction of the federal Surface Transportation Board. As such, it could not lawfully be abandoned by Conrail, much less sold to the developer, without prior authorization from STB, which Conrail neither sought nor obtained. This has not only unlawfully imperiled an important historic asset (the Harsimus Embankment) but also threatened with complete dismemberment the last undeveloped transportation corridor that can serve downtown Jersey City, much less the East Coast Greenway."

Embankment Preservation Coalition president Stephen Gucciardo said, "The Coalition board thanks the City of Jersey City and Rails to Trails Conservancy for their partnership. We are grateful to the local and regional organizations that have been our allies for years. We are especially indebted to our local community for their steadfast support. We look forward to working with the community during the anticipated historic assets review. We will continue to work for preservation of the historic site and its appropriate reuse as a linear park, destination on the East Coast Greenway, and transportation corridor for the 21st Century."

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 10-04-2013, 02:13pm »
From the Embankment Preservation Coalition newsletter, October 4, 3013

Federal Court Rules for City of Jersey City, Rails to Trails, and Embankment Coalition
U.S. District Court, D.C., Resolves the Merits in Our Favor

Sept. 30, 2013.  After a long and winding road through a federal regulatory agency and federal courts, the controversy over whether the Harsimus Branch is a "line" of railroad subject to federal regulation was finally decided on the merits. U.S. District Court, District of Columbia Judge Amy Berman Jackson granted Plaintiffs City of Jersey City, Rails to Trails Conservancy (RTC), and the Embankment Preservation Coalition summary judgment.

As supporters of Embankment preservation may recall, in 2005 Conrail sold the Harsimus Branch Embankment to eight commonly owned LLCs for development without going through a federally required abandonment process for rail lines. City of Jersey City, RTC, and the Embankment Preservation Coalition then sought a determination from the Surface Transportation Board, the federal agency with authority over rail abandonments, that the Embankment was part of a rail line subject to a federal abandonment process from which certain protections for the public flowed.  The STB decided in our favor, but the decision was appealed, and the case went back and forth between federal courts, where there were rulings on venue and plaintiffs' standing, but not on merits.   

In 2012 the case returned to U.S. District Court, D.C.  In the last year,
the LLCs changed their position that the Harsimus Branch was a rail "spur" not subject to federal regulation.  They filed a joint stipulation with the Plaintiffs that the Branch was indeed a "line of rail," and Conrail raised no opposition.  Referring to this turnabout, Judge Berman wrote: "the parties have stipulated to the sole factual issue in this case, no genuine issues of material fact remain, and plaintiffs are entitled to judgment as a matter of law."  Further, she denied a motion by Intervenor-Defendants LLCs for leave to file an amended answer that would expand the case.

Judge Berman's decision is appealable, but it is nonetheless an important milestone on the arduous journey to preservation.  "We are pleased with the...Court's ruling which speaks to the heart of the matter surrounding the Sixth Street Embankment," said Jersey City Mayor Steven M. Fulop.  "As outlined in the ruling, the proper process was not followed in the abandonment of the rail line resulting in the City of Jersey City losing its opportunity to purchase the property.  The City will continue to pursue all legal  avenues to preserve our rights to acquire the Embankment for the people of Jersey City."

The Coalition thanks our partners City of Jersey City and Rails to Trails and our counsel. We will continue to work with this Administration and all parties to come to a resolution of this matter.  We are also grateful to the previous Administration of Mayor Jerremiah Healy and to both this and previous Municipal Councils for their perseverance in seeing that the rights of the public are respected.  Not least, we recognize Embankment Preservation Coalition members and supporters for their steadfast commitment over these many years.

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jersey City sees 'win' in ruling officials hope moves them closer to creating High Line-like park
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on October 04, 2013 at 7:56 AM, updated October 04, 2013 at 7:58 AM

A federal judge has ruled that the Sixth Street Embankment in Jersey City is indeed a rail line and not a spur, a decision that city officials believe could lead to the city someday owning the disputed property.

Mayor Steve Fulop hailed the Sept. 30 ruling as “another clear win” for the city, which wants to transform some of the elevated abandoned rail line into a public park similar to the High Line in Manhattan.

A lawyer for developer Steve Hyman, who purchased the 6.5-acre parcel from Conrail in 2006, shrugged.

“It doesn’t give them a park,” attorney Dan Horgan said. “It just exposes this to years of litigation … it doesn’t get anyone anywhere.”

Jersey City has argued that Conrail should have gone through an abandonment process before it sold the embankment to Hyman and his wife, Victoria. Federal transportation rules require owners of abandoned lines to go through this process before selling, a process that could give the city first crack at purchasing it.

But Conrail had argued that the embankment was a spur, not a line, and so was not subject to the abandonment process. In her Sept. 30 ruling, federal Judge Amy Berman Jackson tossed that argument.

“This is another clear win for the city, and now both momentum and leverage are in the city’s favor,” Fulop said. “The developer can continue to waste his money and appeal, which we don’t mind at all, but I feel comfortable in the fact that we will eventually have a showcase linear park in Jersey City that the entire city can enjoy.”

Conrail spokesman John Enright said his company doesn’t comment on pending litigation.

“We’ll continue to work with all of the parties in an attempt to reach an amicable settlement of the matter,” Enright said.

Horgan said his clients would likely appeal last week’s ruling. He also disputed city officials’ belief that the decision could lead to the city owning the property.

“It’s one additional step in a process that’s gone on for eight years that’s cost the taxpayers of Jersey City millions of dollars,” Horgan said. “It won’t resolve itself this year or next year or the year after.”

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Embankment Deal Stalls
« Reply #153 on: 09-14-2012, 10:32am »
:palm:

Embankment Deal Stalls
By HEATHER HADDON

A deal to turn an abandoned elevated railway in Jersey City into a park in the spirit of Manhattan's High Line has hit a roadblock, with one of the parties involved balking on a settlement proposed to resolve the decadelong dispute.

The hurdle comes after Jersey City announced in February that it was on the verge of a deal that would pave the way for the Sixth Street Embankment to becoming a downtown park with sweeping views.

Now, in an additional wrinkle, court papers filed Thursday in a case associated with the embankment argue that other Jersey City land situated on old railways could have clouded titles, meaning it will be hard to sell or develop the properties in the future.

The former Pennsylvania Railroad tracks spanning Exchange Place are lined with office buildings, high-end condos, the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail and parking lots eyed for future development.

The argument is preliminary, and the city and preservation groups looking to save the embankment view it as a delay tactic by the Manhattan investor who acquired the disputed property from Consolidated Rail Corp.

But the investor, real-estate developer Steve Hyman, isn't backing down from the point, and retained a surveyor and architect to buttress his point in papers filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.

"Property owners whose title may be questioned face serious ownership issues, including limitations upon the ability to transfer, lease, or mortgage their properties," wrote Daniel Horgan, an attorney at Waters, McPherson, McNeill in Secaucus representing Mr. Hyman, in the 30-page brief viewed by The Wall Street Journal.

The embankment—an overgrown stone structure spanning a half mile in downtown Jersey City—has been the source of a preservation battle for years between the city and community groups on one hand, and Mr. Hyman and Conrail on the other. Mr. Hyman purchased the structure in 2003 for $3 million from Conrail, planning to knock it down and build housing in the rapidly gentrifying area blocks from the Grove Street PATH station.

The city sued Conrail to invalidate the sale, and Mr. Hyman responded with about 10 suits against Jersey City and Conrail. Jersey City has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees fighting to turn the embankment into landscaped park that could eventually connect with a greenway spanning the East Coast.

In February, the city approved a settlement that would pay Mr. Hyman $7 million to relinquish the property. Conrail, now jointly owned by Norfolk Southern Corp. and CSX Corp., was to kick in $13 million to settle all the pending litigation around the sale. Conrail would also gain development rights from the city to build hundreds of lucrative housing units along the embankment.

Mr. Hyman and Jersey City officials signed the deal, but Conrail declined to accept it within a 30-day window period. The railroad has since offered at least four agreements, including one nearly three weeks ago, said Kevin Coakley, a partner at the Connell Foley law firm representing Conrail.

Mr. Horgan said the most recent offer tipped the deal too far in the railroad's direction, but declined to discuss specifics about the proposed settlement.

"We're not going to sign the agreement. Now we will continue in court," Mr. Horgan said.

Mr. Coakley said a deal has been hampered by a "lack of trust all around," but said the parties are close. "It's Conrail's hope to get this resolved," Mr. Coakley said.

William Matsikoudis, Jersey City's municipal attorney, said the "elements" of a deal are there and he hopes to soon hold a settlement conference before a state court judge to hammer it out. "Let's all just take a deep breath and regroup and figure out how to get this done," he said.

Discussions have continued between some of the parties this week. But while a deal hangs in the balance, Mr. Hyman is continuing to argue in district court for his right to retain the embankment. City and preservation groups sued Conrail in 2009 claiming that the railroad sold the property to Mr. Hyman without necessary federal transportation board approvals.

Mr. Hyman argued in the brief filed Thursday that if his purchase was invalid, then so is the redevelopment of miles of waterfront property that he alleges also didn't go before the U.S. Surface Transportation Board for approval.

"We think we are being unfairly treated," Mr. Horgan said. "If we have to have our property taken away from us, then all those condos and development lots downtown have to go through the same process."

The elevated embankment once carried the Pennsylvania's Harsimus Branch running from Harrison, N.J., to the Harsimus Cove Yard on the Hudson River. The branch also connected with the Hudson Street Industrial Track—a 1.3-mile line that ran in an arch southeast from Marin Boulevard to Greene and Hudson streets before traveling west on Essex Street.

The railway tracks were ripped up in the 1990s as the Jersey City waterfront began to develop into a financial and residential hub. The former railways now run under three high-end developments—the Portofino Condominium, Avalon Cove, the Marbella apartments—according to track maps submitted in Mr. Horgan's brief. They travel down city streets that now contain the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail and under shopping parking lots.

Representatives from the buildings didn't respond to request for comment Friday.

Charles Montange, a Seattle attorney representing the city and preservation groups in the district court case, said Mr. Horgan's argument was put forth simply to "wear out" the plaintiffs and had no merit.

Craig Ingber, a partner at the Belkin Burden Wenig & Goldman legal firm who specializes in real estate, said public utilities can cloud the title of an adjacent property, but that he thought the argument in the embankment case was more a legal tactic than one with widespread ramifications.

"It sounds like everyone is trying to use what they can of leverage to force a solution," Mr. Ingber said.

Offline zdog77

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 06-20-2012, 11:27pm »
Does anyone know the details of the proposed "settlement" from February 2012?  Curious as to where Hyman will be allowed to develop, as it seems like he's constructing two towers "somewhere" on 6th Street.  Assuming it will be between Marin and Manilla?

Online Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 03-29-2012, 06:14pm »
But think what a good sales tool the Greenway will make for the new apartment buildings which will have exclusive lobby floor access.
What an amenity!
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Online CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: 03-29-2012, 09:56am »
Well, that's just perfect, nothing better than a nice long greenway with a perfect view to the East of 40 stories of gerbil cages.

Hope they plan to resurface the Clemente litle league fields with astroturf, after the grass dies from having the sun blocked.

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
City OKs plan for 2 towers on single block of Embankment
« Reply #149 on: 03-29-2012, 09:00am »
Jersey City OKs plan for 2 towers on single block of Embankment developer to keep under tentative settlement
Published: Thursday, March 29, 2012, 3:00 AM
Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

The Jersey City City Council gave initial approval last night to changes to a Downtown redevelopment plan that would allow a developer to build two towers on a portion of the historic Sixth Street Embankment.

The changes are required by a tentative settlement the city reached last month with developer Steve Hyman, who has battled the city for years over ownership rights to the Embankment. As part of the agreement, the city would purchase most of the roughly mile-long parcel for $7 million, while Hyman would retain one block.

Hyman, who purchased the embankment from Conrail in 2003 for $3 million, wanted to develop the entire property. The city, which hopes to use its five-block portion of the embankment to create a Highline-style park, sued, saying it should have been given first crack at purchasing the property.

The changes given tentative approval by the council, which only go into effect if the settlement is approved by all parties, would permit construction of the two towers, one 35 stories and the other 45 stories.

Proposed for Sixth Street between Manila Avenue and Marin Boulevard, the towers could contain up to 400 residential units and 200 hotel rooms.

The measure passed 7-0, with council members Steve Fulop and Michele Massey absent.

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Deal approved to let Jersey City buy most of the Sixth Street Embankment property
Published: Friday, February 10, 2012, 3:00 AM
Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

The seven-year long legal battle over ownership of the Sixth Street Embankment in Downtown Jersey City is edging closer to its conclusion, with the City Council on Wednesday night unanimously approving a settlement deal that would allow the city to purchase most of the historic structure.

"Finally," Ward C Councilwoman Nidia Lopez said as she voted in favor of the settlement, which would allow the city to purchase the half-mile-long parcel for roughly $7 million.

All parties involved in the protracted legal battle, including developers Steve and Victoria Hyman, have signed onto the settlement, except for rail company Conrail, city officials said. The Hymans, hoping to develop the Embankment property, purchased it from Conrail in 2005 for $3 million.

Corporation Counsel Bill Matsikoudis told the council Wednesday he believes Conrail will decide to settle.

"We believe that this will keep the momentum moving in that direction," Matsikoudis said.

Conrail did not return a request for comment.

The city, hoping to turn the property into a public park, sued Conrail, claiming the rail company did not go through the proper channels before selling the lot to the Hymans. Last week, a federal appeals court ruled that the city's suit could go forward.

Stephen Gucciardo of the Embankment Preservation Coalition, which joined the city in the suit, applauded the council's approval of the agreement.

"In this settlement, no one gets everything they want, but oddly enough most will get most of what they want," Gucciardo said.

Offline DanL

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 02-07-2012, 05:14pm »
Please come out tomorrow evening, Wednesday, February 8th to the Jersey City Council Meeting at 280 Grove St in support of the Resolution Authorizing a Settlement of Litigation Relating to the 6th St. Embankment (z12).

Due to court rulings favorable to Jersey City and the acquisition efforts to acquire the 8th St. Embankment, we have an incredible opportunity before us for to settle all related lawsuits, obtain the Embankment and move forward with plans to preserve and reuse it as open space, linking city neighborhoods and the greater region with off-road walking and bicycle trails, and ultimately the East Coast Greenway (http://greenway.org/index.shtml).

Please come out to show that residents care -  No need to come before 7:30pm.

Also, please reach out to your council member and the three at-large council members, Peter Brennan, Rolando Lavarro and Viola Richardson and ask them to vote for the resolution, emails here - http://cityofjerseycity.com/citycouncil.aspx?id=1212

Thank you, Dan

Offline DanL

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 02-06-2012, 02:38pm »

and an even bigger victory!

Jersey City Settles Lawsuit With the 6th Street Embankment Purchaser, Intends To Make Land Part Of Larger Downtown Park Pending Council Approval

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/2012/02/06/jersey-city-settles-lawsuit-with-the-6th-street-embankment-purchaser-intends-to-make-land-part-of-larger-downtown-park-pending-council-approval/

thank you Embankment Coalition for never wavering and bringing us this point and yes, thank you Mayor Healy, Corporate Council Matsikoudis and city staff who kept this effort going and not for nothing the tremendous support of the public that attended, spoke and testified on behalf of this project for more than a decade.

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

« Reply #146 on: 02-06-2012, 02:38pm »