Linked Events

• Yellow Frog Soul Sessions: Featuring Trumpeter Richard Polat: 03-13-2013
  • Yellow Frog Soul Sessions: 06-26-2013

Author Topic: Lamp Post Bar & Grille  (Read 27282 times)

Online fasteddie

• View Profile
Re: Lamp Post Bar & Grille
« Reply #50 on: 01-08-2015, 07:04pm »
Jersey City's Lamp Post closing Saturday, ending an era of live music and neighborhood camaraderie
The Jersey Journal By Jim Testa

January 08, 2015 at 3:21 PM, updated January 08, 2015 at 4:24 PM

The Lamp Post Bar & Grill in downtown Jersey City has announced it will be closing on Saturday, January 10.
  When the Lamp Post Bar & Grill closes its doors for the last time this Saturday, downtown Jersey City will lose not just one of its favorite watering holes and eateries, but a vital cog in the city’s music scene.
According to former manager Sean Fitzgerald, “The Lamp Post is closing because it’s time to move on." Fitzgerald, who managed the bar under three different owners for over 13 years, said the one constant during all that time were the Lamp Post’s customers. "The regulars here weren’t just bar friends, they became real friends,” he said. “That’s something that doesn’t happen too often.”

Beverly Ann Patterson, who’s been the Lamp Post’s booker for the last few months, added, “it’s a sticky situation and a combination of a lot of things, but everybody’s really bummed out. The live shows there have been such a staple for this community.”

When patrons, musicians, and even employees talk about the Lamp Post, it’s not the savory mac ‘n’ cheese with bacon or the tap beers or even the live music they say they’ll miss the most, as much as the venue’s unique chemistry.

For some it was an after-work pit stop for a cheap meal and a cold beer; for others, a weekly excursion to check out Jersey City’s indigenous bands. The Lamp Post will be remembered as a venue where locals could always find a place to play, even if they were playing for the first time and hadn’t developed a draw yet. Fitgerald noted that the current owners are looking to open up another location, one with more room to accommodate live music and larger events.

“The owners have also developed a friendship with the regulars, and now that the end is near, it’s a sad reality for all of us,” Fitzgerald added.

Located at 322 2nd Street, the Lamp Post plans a gala farewell party for Saturday, January 10, beginning at 4:30 p.m. with a cover band. A bluegrass set and then performances by Jersey City’s Money $hot and Black Wail will follow, and the night will end with a DJ dance party, according to Patterson.

“I think my favorite memories of the place will be the times I just stumbled in and discovered a band I had never heard of playing there,” said Patterson, who became a Lamp Post regular after moving to Jersey City four years ago. “I remember when a band from Indiana was passing through town and their van broke down, and they just showed up looking for a place to play. They were called Joseph Power & The Great Train Robbery and they were amazing! And they just wound up playing there completely by accident.”

“This was a neighbor joint that just lent itself to the open-arms welcoming feeling I think everyone had at the Lamp Post,” said former bartender and booker Candice Leger. “People made friends here, lifelong friends. You can live in Williamsburg a month, go out every night, and not have one real human interaction. In this part of downtown, we smile at you, we pet your dog, we buy you a shot. Seeing it close means a whole lot for the rest of our community.”

“I think the Lamp Post is the last of a dying breed in downtown Jersey City, as the area continues to gentrify,” said musician Bram Teitelman, whose band Black Wail will play the final performance at the bar on Saturday night. “The Lamp Post to me was the very definition of a neighborhood bar, with a solid, regular crowd, relatively inexpensive, and catering to the people that went there as opposed to trying to find an audience.”

Like most musicians, Teitelman recalls the Lamp Post fondly but with mixed emotions. “It was never an ideal venue for bands on account of the size and (lack of) a stage, and sound issues,” he said. “But it was still always a fun place to play. Black Wail played our first show there last May, and our second two weeks later for the Pushing Up Daisies festival (at the Harsimus Cemetery.) Both shows were a sweaty, fun blur of people, beer, and noise, and we’re psyched to be closing out the Lamp Post’s last night of live music.”

“Hearing the right song at the right moment with the right person… the Lamp Post was built for sentimental moments like that, and I know many JC’ers have a plethora of memories to be thankful for,” added Amy Sue Nahhas, a longtime regular, musician, and deejay. “I’ve very thankful for the opportunities I had there. My personal favorite would be playing bass on Nirvana covers to a completely packed house for the snowed-out Ghost of Uncle Joe’s event in 2011. I am super thankful for the good times, all who made it happen, and everyone who was there with me.”

Downtown resident Dave Feldman from the band Wyldlife recalled, “I started my DJ ‘career’ there and believe me, I am using the term loosely. As far as playing shows, it was terrible sound, you stood behind the monitors, the beer was warm… and I also had some of the most fun times there ever. But whoever designed that front door that opens INTO the bar should be shot!”
“One thing I really appreciated about the Lamp Post is the cross section of music that played there,” added Bram Teitelman. “From solo acts to bluegrass to open mic jams, the Lamp Post ran the gamut, and it’s a shame that Jersey City has so many talented bands and won’t have a venue to regularly showcase them anymore for the foreseeable future. I hope someone realizes soon that the second biggest city in New Jersey has a pretty big void for live and local music now.”

While the Lamp Post will definitely be missed, there have been some encouraging signs in downtown Jersey City, like WFMU’s concert space, “Monty Hall,” which opened in 2014. On January 10, the same night that the Lamp Post will be saying goodbye, “Dancing Tony” Susco will be debuting a new monthly dance party called “Last Saturday” at Porta Pizza (135 Newark Avenue,) while nearby, The Dopeness (332 2nd Street) will bring back live music after renovations with a grand reopening on Saturday, January 17. That show will include several live bands and an open bar for a single $25 entry fee; Morningside Lane, Hurricane Season, Japanda, The Blithdale Romance, and Ravens Ballroom will perform with doors opening at 6 p.m. Advance tickets are available from brownpapertickets.com.

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 01-02-2015, 10:33am »
from their fb page:

Lamp Post will be closing it's doors January 11th. We have loved getting to know all of you, and watching our neighborhood grow with so many fantastic people. We appreciate all of the love and support that everyone has given us over the years, and we couldn't ask for a better group of people.

January 10th will be our last Saturday, and we want to go out with a bang! We have entertainment starting at 4:30 until last call. There will be LOTS of drink specials, and we invite all of you to come celebrate with us!

We love you, and thank you.

[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline devb

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 01-02-2015, 10:30am »
January 10th is the last day. The bar and license had been for sale for some time. I don't know if it's been sold or just the license or what. I hope the owners find something better to do with their time, perhaps a lifestyle improvement project.

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 01-02-2015, 10:22am »
What's this I hear about the Lamp Post closing?

Offline moretrio

• View Profile
Open Mic/Jam Session at the Lamp Post
« Reply #46 on: 06-26-2013, 01:03pm »
Yellow Frog Soul Sessions
At The Lamp Post Bar & Grill, Downtown JC
2nd and 4th wed of every month!
10:00 pm to 1:00 am

We are a collection of:
Bands, poets, comedians, philosophers, renegades, heavy drinkers, jugglers, magicians, singer songwriters.
Description
We keep the beat going in Downtown JC.

Some of the best grooves in town. Attracting talent from everywhere in the surrounding area. Bring on the Funk! We are a collection of:
Bands, poets, comedians, philosophers, renegades, heavy drinkers, jugglers, magicians, singer songwriters.
« Last Edit: 10-04-2013, 12:35pm by MCA™ »

Offline IronicSupplement

• View Profile
Comedy Show at Lamp Post this Tuesday (June 11th)
« Reply #45 on: 06-10-2013, 08:35pm »
Help Shut Up & Laugh celebrate its third anniversary Tuesday, June 11th. The show features Andy Breckman and Ken Freedman from Seven Second Delay on WFMU, as well as local comics Paul Goncalves and Sharon Yamane, and the awesome Boris Khaykin. The lovely Chrissie Mayr is hosting.

The show is free, though donations are accepted. An open mike will follow the booked performance. Come before 8 p.m. if you want to sign up. Shut Up & Laugh is held the second Tuesday of the month September through June.

Lamp Post serves food until 11 p.m. and runs drink specials all night.

Offline IronicSupplement

• View Profile
Comedy Show at Lamp Post this Tuesday (May 14th)
« Reply #44 on: 05-12-2013, 12:27pm »
When you're done voting on Tuesday, come to Lamp Post Bar & Grille (382 Second Street) to see comics Jay Welch, Claudia Cogan, Raquel D’Apice, Dr. Mike, Rachael Parenta, and host Chris Calogero. The show is free and starts at 8.

(Please remember to vote. It's sort of necessary for this whole democracy thing.)

Offline TheLampPost

• View Profile
Open Mic @TheLampPost
« Reply #43 on: 03-13-2013, 02:47pm »
   Welcome to the first edition of Yellow Frog Soul Sessions, featuring our house band plus a special guest trumpeter, Jersey City's own Richard Polatchek.

On Wednesday March 13th, share your talent with Yellow Frog Soul Sessions' first open mic/jam session. Poets, rappers, MCs, musicians, singer-songwriters, DJs, comedians, magicians and jugglers welcome! Or just come enjoy an eventful night with great food and drink specials and no cover charge.

Our house band is comprised of well-seasoned hip-hop, soul, funk and jazz musicians. We will provide a solid musical base for local artists and talented people to complement and even enhance their forms of expression.

There are hardly any experiences more exciting than people creating music on the spot, and especially with the aid of a live band. Please join us the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of every month at this cozy and warm venue in Jersey City!

Offline dragonaut

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 12-09-2010, 10:33pm »
Hahaha, Sundays during football season were like that back when I worked there, too.

All those dudes like, live on the block, and seemed to think I was OK.

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12-07-2010, 06:48pm »

Online CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12-07-2010, 05:43pm »
We had drinks and dinner there on Sunday. $4 NJ Beers hit the spot, as did the pasta I had (cavatelli with broccoli rabe and sausage). I don't know about other times but it was a full-on sports bar scene on Sunday afternoon, with nary a hipster in sight. The owner was there and it seemed like a lot of the patrons knew him/each other, and everyone was dressed like they possibly just got back from a golf outing.

Will be back to try more of the menu.

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12-07-2010, 05:17pm »
We had drinks and dinner there on Sunday. $4 NJ Beers hit the spot, as did the pasta I had (cavatelli with broccoli rabe and sausage). I don't know about other times but it was a full-on sports bar scene on Sunday afternoon, with nary a hipster in sight. The owner was there and it seemed like a lot of the patrons knew him/each other, and everyone was dressed like they possibly just got back from a golf outing.

Will be back to try more of the menu.

Offline devb

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10-02-2010, 11:34pm »
Did they fix the sewer (sorry, "oil tank") problem yet?

Offline gordonh

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10-02-2010, 05:55pm »
The Amboys are playing at the Lamp Post tonight!  http://www.theamboys.com/

Disclosure:  I am kind of related to one of the band members.  But their music is great and they don't come to JC too often, so check them out.

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
  • fuck a goddamn canadian rig count.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05-03-2010, 01:02pm »
That doesn't even make any sense.  FAIL
[06:11 PM]  fasteddie: jesus, this SB is deader than JC Vibe

Offline jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05-03-2010, 01:01pm »
But the Beatles were already taken!

Maybe they can come up with an even MORE generic name between now and then.   ::)
« Last Edit: 05-03-2010, 01:02pm by elgoodo »
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm… I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
  • fuck a goddamn canadian rig count.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05-03-2010, 12:59pm »
Maybe they can come up with an even MORE generic name between now and then.   ::)
[06:11 PM]  fasteddie: jesus, this SB is deader than JC Vibe

Offline dragonaut

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05-03-2010, 12:57pm »
Don't hold me to this, but word on the streets is the Lamp Post will be remaining as is until around the Memorial Day holiday, when they'll be having their grand opening and the name is supposedly being changed to "2nd Street Pub".

Stay tuned for more, haha.

Offline dragonaut

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04-29-2010, 10:09pm »
Yo, but I definitely DEFINITELY feel you on that.

Offline devb

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04-29-2010, 10:07pm »
Nice try, fat hotdog head guy!

Offline dragonaut

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04-29-2010, 05:35pm »
Went to the Lamp Post today while riding my bike because I had heard the bathrooms had been retiled and the bar top was ripped out and replaced.  So far the changes look great, and apparently they'll be closing for two weeks in August (that's what I was told) to finish doing all the remodeling.

The place was absolutely packed (if you've been there during the day, you know how hard to believe that is).

They got a REAL chef in the kitchen over there now, too.  He's gonna be doing specials, specials that aren't limited to the ingredients in the kitchen like mine were.  They had a whole list of different corned beef sandwiches as specials today, for crying out loud.

I ordered the pulled pork sandwich (it was on today's specials list).  Pork was cooked just right; tender, juicy, amazing.  The BBQ sauce was good, not like any of the BBQ sauces you're used to in NJ (AKA it didn't taste like KC Masterpiece).  It was slightly sweet, and really tangy.  Sandwich was served on a bun and consisted of the pulled pork, cole slaw (delicious!) and a hash brown.  The hash brown was weird when I read it on the menu, but second bite in and I was sold.

Seems like slowly but surely they're gonna figure out the exact formula for what it is they are going to want to do with the place, hopefully without making it a lame place to be.  It's a shame they got rid of Steff (or she left, I haven't quite gotten this story yet), though!

Offline dragonaut

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04-22-2010, 01:47pm »
It was a picture of his son, and an autographed jersey his son wore playing football at OSU.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04-22-2010, 01:46pm »
oh that's a major bummer

how is that a bummer, this can only be good news considering the former owner was ill suited to own the place and didn't really seem to put much effort into it. 
I look forward to the day I walk in to find the autographed picture of Ira has been removed from the wall and they have a fully stocked bar.

He had an autographed picture of himself on the wall?

:rofl:
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04-22-2010, 10:58am »
oh that's a major bummer

how is that a bummer, this can only be good news considering the former owner was ill suited to own the place and didn't really seem to put much effort into it. 
I look forward to the day I walk in to find the autographed picture of Ira has been removed from the wall and they have a fully stocked bar.
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline itsaurora

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04-22-2010, 10:40am »
oh that's a major bummer

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

« Reply #26 on: 04-22-2010, 10:40am »