Author Topic: Vet recommendations!  (Read 9934 times)

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
In the JC Independent:

Animal Clinic and Hospital of Jersey City: A 60 Year Legacy of Love

By Laryssa Wirstiuk Jun 6th, 2014

From the 1870s to the 1960s, downtown Jersey City was filled with horses and barns. The Jersey City Police Department used mounted police to patrol where cars and motorcycles couldnt easily travel. Someone had to care for all those horses.

My father was an honorary police captain because he took care of the mounted police horses. He even had a badge and a gun, said Dr. Rosemary Manziano of her father Dr. Clarence F. Manziano, Jersey Citys first veterinarian.

He lobbied to keep mounted police. A horse can go anywhere. They keep things in check and theyre beautiful to look at.

In 1952, Dr. Clarence Manziano bought a beauty parlor on West Side Avenue. By the following year, he had converted it into the Jersey City Animal Clinic. And for four decades, he ran the only veterinary clinic in Jersey City.

But Manziano wasnt your average animal lover his contributions to the field extended far beyond Jersey City. Early in his life, Manziano worked with cattle in Oklahoma. He attended veterinary school at Middlesex University, now called Tufts University, but left the country before completing his exams when he learned that students of Italian and Jewish decent were being denied the right to obtain a veterinary license. In protest, Manziano went to Italy and completed his final six months of veterinary school at the University of Pisa. When he returned to the United States, he lobbied against this practice and was responsible for the passage of the Manziano Act, making it possible for veterinarians of Italian and Jewish descent to sit for the veterinary exam in New Jersey and thus practice veterinary medicine.

He also served as senior veterinarian for the Mexican American Foot and Mouth Commission, was the U. S. delegate for the United Nations Commission on Foot and Mouth Disease, worked for the U. S. Agriculture Department, and served as veterinary epidemiologist for the New Jersey State Department of Health.

In short, Dr. Manziano was a pioneer in Veterinary science. He worked with human doctors who performed laminectomies, a surgical procedure to remove part of the vertebral bone, to develop methods for operating on paralyzed dachshunds. For eight years he took care of beagles with severe mammary tumors, injecting the dogs with an experimental medication that shrunk the tumors to such a small size that they could be removed with hardly any effort.

At the age of 89, in 2008, Clarence Manziano passed away.

His daughter Rosemary, who has her own holistic veterinary practice in Colts Neck, NJ, reflecting on her time working at (and running) her Dads clinic in the early 90s, remembers a lot of fun and crazy stuff. Cases included dogs with gunshot wounds, dogs that fell into boiling water, and a severely malnourished monkey that had been fed only bananas.

Rosemary Manziano was born in 1956, just four years after her father purchased the clinic. She spent a significant portion of her life working at the clinic and learning her fathers craft. As the age of 16, she was already sewing up animals.

My father was very serious, and my uncle Dr. John Manziano (who also worked with us) was funny. My father was Mr. Doctor, and my uncle was more laid back, smoking a cigarette and resting it on the side of a counter. He was a wonderful guy. Rosemary recalls.

When it was time to attend college, Rosemary followed in her fathers footsteps by enrolling in the veterinary program at the University of Pisa. When she graduated, she began working immediately with her father and uncle. Later, she completed post-graduate work at the University of Missouri and ran the clinic from 1991 to 1994 after her father retired.

My father was quite an entrepreneur, a forward thinker. He was one of the first people who had a computer. I didnt even know computers as well as he did. Im talking 1985, maybe before that. He was always on top of things. We always had the best equipment, said Manziano. He really lived a full life.

Today, the clinic is owned by Dr. Lawrence Buchholz, D.V.M. and goes by the name Animal Clinic & Hospital of Jersey City. Continuing the Manziano legacy, Roselle Ro Camaligan, who was a beloved technician on Rosemary Manzianos team, now manages the animal hospital.

Animal Clinic and Hospital of Jersey CityThe clinic offers standard veterinary services in cardiology, dentistry, dermatology, oncology, radiology, vision care, and senior pet care. They also offer micro-chipping, pet nutrition guidance, wellness exams, spaying/neutering, grooming and boarding.

Dr. Buchholz treats all species of animals. Some of his strangest patients include a 14-foot python, goats brought in by the Board of Health, a falcon, and seagulls. In the nearly 20 years that hes practiced in Jersey City, Buchholz has noticed how the community has changed.

Read more

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Vet recommendations!
« Reply #11 on: 04-03-2013, 01:39pm »
Another new vet's office has opened Downtown, co-located with Club Barks dog daycare and grooming in Gulls Cove. Main veterinarian is Dr. John Fedina.

MetroVet Center
201 Marin Boulevard 2A
Jersey City, NJ 07302
+1 973-812-2757
jc@clubbarks.com

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New veterinarian office in the Heights
« Reply #10 on: 07-24-2012, 10:46am »
So there's a newly opened vet's office in the Heights: Heights Veterinary Associates at 3402 Kennedy Blvd., Jersey City, NJ (off Griffith St.) run by Dr. Tuder of Downtown Veterinary Associates, Animal Infirmary of Hoboken, and Bayonne Animal Hospital.

http://www.michaeltuderdvm.com

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03-25-2010, 09:15am »
Anyone know of a vet in the area who does house calls? It's gotten to the point where if we need the vet to do anything beyond taking blood or giving shots (which is a struggle as is) we will need to put our dog under. A friend in Boston has a similar problem dog and has a vet who comes to the house. I know our dog would be much better and there would be much less anxiety if the checkup was on her own turf.

Offline nikki

• View Profile
Re: Need a veterinarian recommendation
« Reply #8 on: 11-10-2008, 12:03am »
I go to JC Animal Hospital on the west side in JC.  I prefer Dr. Thornton or Dr. Bucholz...

http://www.jerseycityvet.com/

Offline ExVillageGirl

• View Profile
Need a veterinarian recommendation
« Reply #7 on: 11-09-2008, 10:57pm »

I've realized it's crazy to truck our two chihuahua's into Manhattan to see our vet (even though
we really, really like her)  I'd love to find a good veterinarian near downtown Jersey City.

Does anyone have a personal recommendation?

Thanks!

Kiki, Lola and Radar

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-29-2008, 01:54pm »
Big fan of Downtown Vet Associates/Dr Tuder on First Street, off Jersey.  Very helpful staff, convenient hours, thorough check-ups -- and won't drown you in vet medical jargon that you can't understand (like certain emergency vets in towns neighboring ours).

We like them too.  In fact, we were there yesterday to weigh the beast and refill prescriptions.

What kind of pet ya got?
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Offline TMN

• THE schnauzer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-29-2008, 09:59am »
Thanks for the recommendations...I'll check these vets out!
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you.    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline NON

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-28-2008, 12:18pm »
Animal Hospital & Clinic of Jersey City P.A.
603 West Side Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07304
Phone: (201) 435-6424
Fax: (201) 435-9678
E-Mail: doc@jerseycityvet.com
Map it

I've been going here since 1993, and they are great for everything for checkups to those tough times. I can't say enough good things about the two vets we've had, Drs. Buchholz and Dr. Thornton.

Up until a crisis situation we had with our dog around a month ago, I would have given the same recommendation about JC Animal Hospital and Dr. Thornton. However, the way she handled the situation, particularly in her eagerness to cut our dog open rather than explore other less invasive options (apparently because their facility does not have the proper equipment, thus they would not have stood to make money), coupled with the way she treated us for questioning her judgment, has led us to look for another vet ourselves.

Bottom line is that we thought Dr. Thornton was the exception to the general rule that vets are more interested in taking your money than they are in providing the best, safest care possible for your pet. We no longer think this is true, and we are glad we followed our instincts and took him to the animal hospital in Oradell, where the less invasive procedure was a success.

Offline jennymayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06-28-2008, 10:23am »
Big fan of Downtown Vet Associates/Dr Tuder on First Street, off Jersey.  Very helpful staff, convenient hours, thorough check-ups -- and won't drown you in vet medical jargon that you can't understand (like certain emergency vets in towns neighboring ours).

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-28-2008, 10:17am »
Animal Hospital & Clinic of Jersey City P.A.
603 West Side Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07304
Phone: (201) 435-6424
Fax: (201) 435-9678
E-Mail: doc@jerseycityvet.com
Map it

I've been going here since 1993, and they are great for everything for checkups to those tough times. I can't say enough good things about the two vets we've had, Drs. Buchholz and Dr. Thornton.

Offline TMN

• THE schnauzer
    • View Profile
Vet recommendations!
« Reply #1 on: 06-28-2008, 10:10am »
We need a good/compassionate vet for our critter. Would prefer to give our business to one in JC if possible. The vet located closest to us just isn't passing muster. Odd hours, spotty compassion, and difficult to understand. Thanks in advance!
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you.    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Vet recommendations!
« Reply #1 on: 06-28-2008, 10:10am »