Author Topic: DON'T FORGET TO VOTE: Election Day Thread  (Read 52875 times)

Online TheFang

• View Profile
Re: DON'T FORGET TO VOTE: Election Day Thread
« Reply #97 on: 06-06-2017, 10:37am »
*bump*
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline Darna

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 11-08-2016, 07:05pm »
i love that baby stoat.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 11-08-2016, 01:07pm »
Waited exactly one hour to be voter number 217 at McNair HS (ward E District 10). I've never seen lines this long.

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 05-14-2013, 05:40pm »
Voter 217 at noon at PS9

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 05-14-2013, 09:23am »
District E-10, voter 54 at 8:45am

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 11-03-2009, 08:58am »
I voted this morning, always a good feeling. Here's to keeping NJ blue...

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 11-03-2009, 08:19am »

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Vote-by-mail is gearing up
« Reply #90 on: 10-23-2009, 08:22am »
Vote-by-mail is gearing up
Friday, October 23, 2009
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The Hudson County Clerk's Office has been busy processing applications for vote-by-mail ballots, with the election still over a week away.

For the first time, state residents have been given the chance to vote by mail, under a new state law. Unlike absentee ballots, voters don't need a reason to take a pass on heading to the polls Nov. 3.

"You can vote from the privacy of your home," said Hudson County Clerk Barbara Netchert.

There are 309,082 registered voters in Hudson County.

As of yesterday afternoon, Netchert's office had processed 7,800 vote-by-mail applications and was likely to break the 8,000 mark by the end of the day.

Voters who wish to cast votes by mail must have their applications postmarked by Oct. 27. Ballots must be returned by Nov. 2.

Applications are available on the county clerk's Web site, http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org.

Voters can request an application in person until 3 p.m. on Nov. 2. The ballot would be handed to the applicant, who could fill it out and walk down the hall to deliver it to the county Board of Elections, Netchert said.

Applications must be mailed or submitted in person. Faxes and e-mails are not being accepted.

The Clerk's Office is located on the fourth floor of Hudson County Plaza, at 257 Cornelison Ave.

Polls will be open Nov. 3 from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Additional information is available at http://www.NJElections.org or by calling 877-NJVOTER.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Primary elections TODAY
« Reply #89 on: 06-02-2009, 08:51am »
Don't forget to vote today for your Democratic gubernatorial candidates Gov. Jon Corzine of Hoboken, Guttenberg's Jeff Boss, former Glen Ridge mayor Carl Bergmanson or Philipsburg businessman Roger Bacon.

If you're a registered Republican, your gubernatorial candidates are former U.S. Attorney Chris Christie, Steve Lonegan, Bogota's former mayor, and Assemblyman Rick Merkt of Mendham.

There are also primaries for State Assembly, State Committee and County Committee.

Polls are open today from 6 am to 8 pm.

Offline Woodsy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 05-12-2009, 07:56am »
Got my 5 votes in.  The incumbent stopped by as I was leaving.  Minutes before, a municipal employee known to live outside of Jersey City was recognized and challenged, thus preventing him from voting using another person's address in town.

Maybe it was yours?

Rights (like muscles and brain cells) not exercised may soon be lost.

Wow!  I never really thought this kind of stuff happened, at least not anymore.  That individual should be arrested and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.  They should also be fired but given who they were probably voting for I know that's not going to happen.

All the more reason they should require some form of identification before letting people vote.
« Last Edit: 05-12-2009, 01:16pm by Woodsy »

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 05-12-2009, 07:52am »
Got my 5 votes in.  The incumbent stopped by as I was leaving.  Minutes before, a municipal employee known to live outside of Jersey City was recognized and challenged, thus preventing him from voting using another person's address in town.

Maybe it was yours?

Rights (like muscles and brain cells) not exercised may soon be lost.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE: Mayor & City Council Elections
« Reply #86 on: 05-12-2009, 05:24am »
JJ:

Polls open until 8 p.m. in Jersey City, Hoboken
Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Jersey City and Hoboken are holding municipal elections today. Polls are open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.

In Jersey City, voters are electing a mayor and City Council members, while in Hoboken, voters are electing a mayor and at-large City Council members.

Voters who have problems with voting records at their polling site can call the Hudson County superintendent of elections at the following phone numbers: (201) 795-6552, (201) 795-6554, (201) 795-6278, (201) 795-6279 or (201) 795-6275.

Voters who experience problems with voting machines at their polling sites can call: (201) 795-6156, (201) 795-6987 or (201) 795-6999.

For additional information, voters can also contact the Jersey City City Clerk's Office at (201) 574-5150 and the Hoboken City Clerk's Office at (201) 420-2073.

--

And today's editorial:

You're needed to help guide ship
Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Today, Hoboken and Jersey City voters are casting their ballots for those they want to run their respective cities. The worst thing that could happen to the future of these municipalities would be for many citizens to believe their vote will not change anything and stay away from the polls.

Every vote does count.

There is some concern among some candidates' camps that the record votes cast in the election of President Barack Obama took all the air out of the electorate's enthusiasm for local races. While those who voted in November wanted to have an impact on this nation, they should want to do the same where they live.

This is not about extolling the virtues of democracy but rather this newspaper is reminding voters that their lives and those of their loved ones are being greatly affected by those who say they are, or want to be, public servants. This is the time when you grade their performance. Voters will either return them to office for more of the same government or vote to make a change.

Is Hoboken a hometown or is it more of a "bedroom" community? Some Mile Square City cynics say that if you ask morning rush-hour commuters whether they will vote today, many will answer with a question: Is there an election?

Today will determine whether this is true or not.

In Jersey City, the incumbent mayor is also chairman of the Hudson County Democratic Organization. In keeping or rejecting him, city voters will have a big impact on the broader political landscape when they make their choice.

How will your vote count?

Both cities have a runoff provision. To win outright, a candidate must have 50 percent of the votes cast for their post, plus one vote. For at-large council candidates, a 50-plus-one winner will drag along the next two highest vote-getters.

Even if you are unhappy with the available candidates and write in "none of the above" in a race your vote counts toward the total on which the percentage is based, and makes it harder to get that 50-plus-one. The choice may be easier once the field of candidates is cut down to two.

Polls open at 6 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. This is plenty of time to exercise a right won with American blood.
« Last Edit: 05-12-2009, 05:29am by MCA »

Offline JimRockford

• He Hate Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 11-04-2008, 08:35pm »
Saint Francis building this afternoon, no lines. GO OBAMA!
"When I die I want to be buried in Jersey City so I can remain active in Hudson County politics". Brendan Byrne

Offline jennymayla

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 11-04-2008, 07:40pm »
I would like to take a moment to be thankful for working for a place that let me do what I needed to do today, with no pressure about getting into the office.  Regardless of level, everyone was allowed to do what they had to in order to vote, which is awesome.

Apparently folks at Ogilvy have to record time off for voting as Personal Day:  http://gawker.com/5076150/ad-agency-graciously-allows-staff-to-use-a-vacation-day-to-vote

I heard that BBDO, another big agency, was actually closed today so people could vote.  Pretty cool.

What's even more random is that i fell into a little group of people on line today and they were all in advertising too.  Strange small world.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
Re: 2008 Presidential Election
« Reply #83 on: 11-04-2008, 06:59pm »
Interesting, thanks.

Is there a map somewhere?  I like voting there (my post earlier was snark about the church / state thing, I'm allowed to enjoy irony too you know) but there has to be somewhere closer.  Just curious.
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 11-04-2008, 06:15pm »
Does anyone here know where District 15/Ward E is?

It seems as if the lines for that district (at Van Vorst church) are very long.

Are the lines long because that's the warehouse area and a lot of new voters have moved in there, or is it in an area where there are a lot of voters who are psyched about the campaign?

Maybe things like Grove Pointe and 50 Columbus are now part of that district, and they have alot of people in them.

As a coworker of a 50 Columbus resident, I can confirm that this is true.

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 11-04-2008, 05:49pm »

Are the lines long because that's the warehouse area and a lot of new voters have moved in there, or is it in an area where there are a lot of voters who are psyched about the campaign?

Maybe things like Grove Pointe and 50 Columbus are now part of that district, and they have alot of people in them.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 11-04-2008, 05:11pm »

I am resident of whatever cockamamie and most likely unfair districting this is and yes, I live in the PAD.

Hope the line is not too bad, I haven't gotten there yet.

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

alb

« Reply #79 on: 11-04-2008, 05:05pm »

Offline DarkMoment

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 11-04-2008, 03:22pm »
I voted at Grace Church, Ward E, District 14 and had one person in front of me,out within 5 minutes. District 13 line on other side of gym had over 100+ in line opposite me at about 11:30AM.

I hope all saw and voted on the three questions at bottom of ballot. I asked one of my neighbors if he saw them and he said no and in our voting booth it was dark and with questions at bottom of ballot many may have overlooked them. Suggest they put questions at top of ballot and candidates underneath as all will look for where candidates are and not necessarily the questions.

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
  • fuck a goddamn canadian rig count.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 11-04-2008, 03:03pm »
Voted at McNair about 2:30.  Walked out with a big smile on my face.  No problems.  No chaos.   
[06:11 PM]  fasteddie: jesus, this SB is deader than JC Vibe

Offline beachmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 11-04-2008, 02:23pm »
wow! what a day. It is truly emotional and exciting.

Hopefully today will mark a huge shift in the way our country is viewed across the world and the beginning of a more cooperative system based on diplomacy, compassion and respect through which all is possible and through which our greatest vision of this country can be realized.

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: 11-04-2008, 02:00pm »
I voted two weeks ago by absentee ballot.

Just voted at PS 3, no line and out in 5 minutes. Though I must admit I being the dork I am spent some time behind that curtain just letting it all sink in. I get such a high off of voting. Total wonk.  ;D

Whoooo! Democracy!!!

Offline super_furry

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 11-04-2008, 01:09pm »
I voted two weeks ago by absentee ballot.
« Last Edit: 11-04-2008, 01:12pm by super_furry »
I believe in kama

Offline jennymayla

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 11-04-2008, 12:25pm »
Voter number 517 in Paulus Hook (don't ask).  Waited three hours for the privilege.  TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Oh, and one of the workers yelled at us for being grumpy about the wait. "YOU PEOPLE only come out once every four years!"

It was awesome. 

;D

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 11-04-2008, 12:04pm »
Ward E, District 10 (McNair HS). In at 11:52am, out at 11:56am. Voter # 276.  8)

Offline mr.t

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 11-04-2008, 11:32am »
Turnout in Newport is *huge*. My next door neighbor got there at 6AM and found the line waiting for her. It took her two hours to vote. I got in line at 7:45 and walked out at 10. People I talked to in line said they'd never seen so many people voting there.

mr.t

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 11-04-2008, 10:11am »
Q: What do I do if challenged?

A: You may need to sign an affidavit confirming your registration. You should go to Superior Court and call the commissioner of registration if poll workers dont allow you to vote. Poll workers must advise you that you can go to court.

Also make sure to call 866-OUR-VOTE if you have any problems. I gave a full run down of them here.

Offline kitten

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 11-04-2008, 10:09am »

A few FYI's for those who aren't sure:

Q: Do I need ID to vote?

A: You should bring identification as a precaution. You must show ID at your polling place if you did not give an ID to the county commissioner of registration when you registered to vote, including registering by mail, or if the information could not be verified at that time. You do not need identification if you walked in your registration to your municipal clerk or county commissioner of registration, if you had ID at the time. You can be asked to show identification if you are properly challenged at the polls. Identification can include any current photo ID, a drivers license, a student or job ID, a store membership ID or a U.S. passport. Other identification may include a bank statement, car registration, government check or document, non-photo drivers license, rent receipt, sample ballot, utility bill or any other official document. If you do not show ID, you may vote with a provisional ballot. You then have until the second day after the election to submit identification to the elections board.

Q: What do I do if challenged?

A: You may need to sign an affidavit confirming your registration. You should go to Superior Court and call the commissioner of registration if poll workers dont allow you to vote. Poll workers must advise you that you can go to court.

Q: Can I vote if Im in line and the polls close?

A: Yes.

Offline Woodsy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 11-04-2008, 07:35am »
We voted this morning.  Got to the polling place about 6:10 am and the line already stretched outside (about 50-75 people in front of us).  We waited about 20 minutes and were numbers 24 and 25 in our district (about 10 districts or so vote at our polling location).  Things moved pretty quickly and it was nice to see such high voter turnout (certainly the most I've ever seen in any election so far).

Offline jc_insomniac

• View Profile

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Online TheFang

• View Profile
Re: Voting in Jersey City... advice needed
« Reply #65 on: 11-03-2008, 02:16pm »
Remember if you have any problems at your polling place, (long lines, not being on the rolls, machines switching votes, being told you have to file a provisional ballot, etc.) that you can and should call 1-866-OUR-VOTE.

From their site:
The nonpartisan Election Protection coalition was formed to ensure that all voters have an equal opportunity to participate in the political process.

Through our state of the art hotlines: 1-866-OUR-VOTE (administered by the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law) and 1-888-Ve-Y-Vota (administered by the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials Education Fund), this website, and comprehensive voter protection field programs across the country, we provide Americans from coast to coast with comprehensive voter information and advice on how they can make sure their vote is counted.

Made up of more than 100 local, state and national partners, this year's coalition will be the largest voter protection and education effort in the nation's history.

Throughout the election process, our volunteers - more than 10,000 strong - will be entering data and information into OurVote live (developed by the Electronic Frontier Foundation), an interactive environment painting the most comprehensive picture of election irregularities from the perspective of the voter available anywhere. Unique in the excitement of this political season, Election Protection focuses on the voter - not on the political horse race - and provides guidance, information and help to any American, regardless of who that voter is casting a ballot for. 

Offline Sands

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 11-03-2008, 01:11pm »
Reminder most polling stations open at 6am. That is generally when I go, just so I know it is done. Generally no one is around then, but who would really want to wake up that early... :D

Offline jennymayla

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 11-03-2008, 01:00pm »
Direct line to BOE:  201-795-6030

For queries re: voter registration:  201-795-6557, which has been busy for a while now but the woman at BOE encouraged me to keep trying.

Offline grovester

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 11-01-2008, 09:11pm »
I've voted EARLY (before 7 a.m.) and never saw a line.  In fact, I'm usually the only person there besides the poll workers. 

My advice would be just to avoid that pre-work rush at 8 a.m., and the after work crowds, probably 5-6 p.m. 

Otherwise, it should be smooth sailing.

Remember, vote early, vote often!
"Don't you do it!  That's a slippery slope.  One day you'll wake up and find yourself posting as grovepointester."

Offline Case

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 11-01-2008, 08:25pm »
As I recall there was a long line at my polling place in the morning for Kerry/Bush. That was probably around 8:00 give or take a half hour. People voting before they went in to work. I went back around 10:30 and sailed right through. Still lost the election, though.  :'(

Offline kitten

• View Profile
Voting in Jersey City... advice needed
« Reply #60 on: 11-01-2008, 07:58pm »
OKAY,

So this will be my first time voting in JC. I'm confused why everyone on tv seems to be talking about "long lines" on election day. When I voted in Queens years ago, there was hardly a line first thing in the morning.

I am around with my son all day, so I am able to vote whenever I want, but I have to bring him with me (well, I want him to be with me and hopefully be part of the historic event which is about to take place (fingers crossed!)). Does anyone have an idea of when it might be slow or the lines not so long?? 

My polling place is PS 8 up here on Franklin in the Heights. Any advice is greatly appreciate. I am getting anxious/excited/worried/hopeful about Tuesday. :bitesnails:

Offline Case

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 10-17-2008, 06:11pm »
I have a whole BUNCH of forever stamps!

Hang on to those. Forever stamps are the best performing asset in my portfolio.

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 10-17-2008, 05:22pm »
I've voted absentee the last few years. Great way to guarantee a paper trail.  ;D

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 10-17-2008, 05:19pm »
GREAT!

I have a whole BUNCH of forever stamps!

;D

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 10-17-2008, 05:14pm »
NJ elections officials tout vote-by-mail option
October 16, 2008

JERSEY CITY, N.J. - New Jersey Election officials are touting vote-by-mail as an option for citizens who want to avoid lines at the polls next month.

At an event in Jersey City on Thursday, Secretary of State Nina Mitchell Wells reminded voters that under New Jersey law they do not need to be out of state to vote by absentee ballot. Nor do they need to provide a reason for requesting one.

Registered voters can get an absentee ballot application online at the Division of Elections Web site, http://www.NJElections.org, or apply in person at their county clerk's office.

Applications can be mailed to the county clerk up to seven days prior to the election on Nov. 4 or delivered in person to the clerk's office up to 3 p.m. the day before the election. A list of county clerk addresses is also available on the Division of Elections Web site.

New Jersey has a record number of registered voters this year 5.2 million.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jersey totals record 5.2 million registered voters
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
By SUSAN K. LIVIO
NEWHOUSE NEWS SERVICE

Even before the voter registration deadline passed yesterday, New Jersey had already set a record.

More than 5.2 million people are signed up to vote in the Nov. 4 presidential election, according to statistics from the Secretary of State's Office on Monday morning, the most recent available. The final number is expected to climb higher next week, after procrastinators who filed at the last minute are counted.

The early counts say 500,000 people have registered to vote since last year's general election - including 400,000 people added since the primary election in February, according to state data.

New Jersey set the previous registration record four years ago when George Bush defeated John Kerry. Some 5 million people were registered to vote then.

Party leaders agree the keen interest over the contest between Democratic Sen. Barack Obama and Republican Sen. John McCain is driving the voter surge, with each predicting the boost will help their candidate.

"There is a real surge in new voters being fueled by the public that wants to bring the Bush era to an end" and support Obama, Richard McGrath, spokesman for the state Democratic Committee said yesterday. "There is a recognition of the importance of this election."

"People are paying attention in a way they haven't in a long time," said Tom Wilson, chairman of the State Republican Committee. "This is a very serious time for the country and they want to be a part deciding the future."

"When the dust settles, Barack Obama will be a risk people are not willing to take," Wilson added.

Of the 5.2 million people registered to vote, 2.4 million are not affiliated with a political party; 1.7 million are registered Democrats and 1 million are Republicans, according to Monday's data.

Since 2005, state residents have been allowed to vote through the mail using an absentee ballot without having to provide a reason why they can't make it to the polls in person, she added.

Registered voters who want to vote by absentee ballot may go to the Division of Elections' Web site (www.njelections.org) to print out an application. Once completed, the ballot can be mailed to the county clerk up to seven days prior to the election, or presented at the Clerk's Office until 3 p.m. the day before the election.

Offline Robocub

• View Profile
    • Robolux Studio
Today, October 14th is the last day in NJ to register to vote.
« Reply #54 on: 10-14-2008, 10:23am »
This is such an important election. If you're not registered to vote,
today is the last day you can register in New Jersey before the election.
Don't let this opportunity pass.

http://justvoteorg.googlepages.com/home?gclid=CIenxLmHm5YCFQJNagodlUpe5g

alb

« Reply #53 on: 06-03-2008, 10:13am »
VOTE TODAY! POLLS ARE OPEN TIL 8PM!

Vote in the primaries for the NJ Senate and Hudson County Freeholder races.

Around 8:45 a.m., I was voter number 14 in Ward E 14. During the school board election (which started in the afternoon) I was voter number 7 around 7 p.m. I think that means the turnout might be about two to four times what it was for the school board election.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06-03-2008, 08:45am »
VOTE TODAY! POLLS ARE OPEN TIL 8PM!

Vote in the primaries for the NJ Senate and Hudson County Freeholder races.

Offline pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 01-16-2008, 07:05am »
Where would I check, exactly? I mailed my registration form and threw away the sample ballot from the Nov election.

Help?

and i would follow up on your registration.. first time i went to vote they had no record of my registration and i had to vote provisional ballot or something like that.

JC~ call the board of elections: main number 201-795-6000 ask to be connected to the B.O.E.

Offline jc_insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 01-16-2008, 12:01am »
Where would I check, exactly? I mailed my registration form and threw away the sample ballot from the Nov election.

Help?

and i would follow up on your registration.. first time i went to vote they had no record of my registration and i had to vote provisional ballot or something like that.

T07302

« Reply #49 on: 01-15-2008, 12:48am »

T07302

« Reply #48 on: 01-15-2008, 12:46am »
I voted No on both questions 2 and 3. 

I am all for stem-cell research and open space, but the damn state is 33 BILLION dollars in debt already and this would've added nearly 3/4's of a BILLION dollars more to that debt.

are we really33 *B*illion in debt? why?

Offline jc_insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 01-14-2008, 11:56pm »
Coolio. Thanks TF!

Hey, if I voted in the last election, am I automatically registered for this year's upcoming one?

Yep. You only have to register once. (unless you move, want to change your afiliation, or change your information in any other way...)

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 01-14-2008, 10:45pm »
Hey, if I voted in the last election, am I automatically registered for this year's upcoming one?

Yep. You only have to register once. (unless you move, want to change your afiliation, or change your information in any other way...)

Offline jc_insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 01-14-2008, 08:21pm »

Offline jc_insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11-07-2007, 09:03pm »
I am opposed to anything that could potentially take any more of my hard-earned money.

Offline Case

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11-07-2007, 09:00pm »
I got a personal phone call from Brian Stack's tape machine tonight.  Apparently the machine wanted to thank me for the victory, though I was very rude to the machine and hung up in mid-sentence.  I grudgingly accept that I'm going to be called during a political campaign, but a thank you call after it's over?  Who does that??  If a loser's tape machine called me, I might understand.  The guy's pissed and he wants to bug me about it.  But the winner should quit while he's ahead, so to speak.

Gotta break now.  Got a call coming in.................Yeah, it's Question #2 and he's fit to be tied.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11-07-2007, 10:53am »
I voted No on both questions 2 and 3. 

I am all for stem-cell research and open space, but the damn state is 33 BILLION dollars in debt already and this would've added nearly 3/4's of a BILLION dollars more to that debt.

AmbushBug

« Reply #41 on: 11-07-2007, 10:23am »

I don't understand the rationale behind voting against an initiative that might lead to more conservation of land which in this state seems to be a much needed effort. The Stem Cell thing I can understand if you are swayed by the religious people...I can understand people's rationale or why they would vote against it...I don't agree but I understand what they are thinking.

I disagree, Kindelan. I think that, in New Jersey at least, people were against the Stem Cell question more because of the raise in taxes than because of ideology, especially with the state's current economic issues. That said, I'm disappointed by these results; I think we could have raised a shitload of money and proved that we're a progressive state.

The most interesting thing, to me, is that my home county of Middlesex voted against the stem cell question; you'd think the corporate headquarters of Johnson & Johnson would go the other way.

I guess people get put off by any ballot questions that suggest the government will spend more money?

I think people are against raising taxes. Even in New Jersey, and even to help ourselves.

Offline pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11-07-2007, 09:52am »
State wide: Ballot questions 1 and 2 were defeated.

When I got to the voting place I asked if anyone had one of those ...you know it's like a guide that they send you in the mail about the different issues and what not. A nice lady offered me hers and I was shocked and astounded and worried because she had marked her answers on the sheet...she voted yes for question 1 and No for all the others.

I guess people get put off by any ballot questions that suggest the government will spend more money? I don't understand the rationale behind voting against an initiative that might lead to more conservation of land which in this state seems to be a much needed effort. The Stem Cell thing I can understand if you are swayed by the religious people...I can understand people's rationale or why they would vote against it...I don't agree but I understand what they are thinking.

Did anyone vote no to question 2 and wouldn't mind explaining how they made that decision?

http://elections.nj.com/dynamic/files/elections/2007/by_county/NJ_Question_1106.html?SITE=NJNEWELN&SECTION=POLITICS

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11-07-2007, 08:57am »

When I got to the voting place I asked if anyone had one of those ...you know it's like a guide that they send you in the mail about the different issues and what not. A nice lady offered me hers and I was shocked and astounded and worried because she had marked her answers on the sheet...she voted yes for question 1 and No for all the others.

I guess people get put off by any ballot questions that suggest the government will spend more money? I don't understand the rationale behind voting against an initiative that might lead to more conservation of land which in this state seems to be a much needed effort. The Stem Cell thing I can understand if you are swayed by the religious people...I can understand people's rationale or why they would vote against it...I don't agree but I understand what they are thinking.

Did anyone vote no to question 2 and wouldn't mind explaining how they made that decision?

Offline pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11-06-2007, 11:39pm »

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
« Reply #37 on: 11-06-2007, 11:11pm »
Once again, congratulations.  ;D 

Oh, and I voted too, man am I cool.  O0

Thankies! So, who won?

Don't you know? When democracy works, we all win.  ;D
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11-06-2007, 10:27pm »

Offline jc_insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11-06-2007, 10:19pm »

Thankies! So, who won?

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11-06-2007, 07:23pm »
As a recently enfranchised individual, I exercised my newly-gained right bright and early this morning.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11-06-2007, 07:17pm »

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
Sanctimonious bleater.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11-06-2007, 03:59pm »
Who wants to go voting?!  ;D

I'll be at Grace Church around 6:00.

Offline jc_insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11-06-2007, 03:26pm »
As a recently enfranchised individual, I exercised my newly-gained right bright and early this morning.

It DID feel like going to a bake sale, but a poorly attended one. It was only me and about 10 poll workers at 7:30 AM. Hopefully there'll be a better turnout this evening.

I voted. Its feels kind of like going to a bake sale.

« Last Edit: 11-06-2007, 03:40pm by jc_insomniac »

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11-06-2007, 10:58am »
I voted. Its feels kind of like going to a bake sale.
Sanctimonious bleater.

Offline pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11-06-2007, 10:54am »
What time do the mofo polls close?

8 mofo pm

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11-06-2007, 10:51am »
What time do the mofo polls close?

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11-05-2007, 07:52am »
JJ preview:

Voters to decide state, local races
Monday, November 05, 2007

The polls are open in Hudson County tomorrow, with state and local candidates competing in this year's general election.

The polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.; you can find your polling place by calling the Hudson County Clerk's Office at (201) 795-5932 or going to the Election Polling Place Locator at http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org/elections.

Voters are asked to vote for one candidate for the state Senate and two for the Assembly.

31st DISTRICT
Democrats for Senate: Sandra Bolden Cunningham
Republicans for Senate: none
Independents for Senate: Louis Vernotico (Eliminate Party Elections)

Democrats for Assembly: L. Harvey Smith; Anthony Chiappone
Republicans for Assembly: none

32nd DISTRICT
Democrats for Senate: Nicholas J. Sacco
Republicans for Senate: John Pluchino

Democrats for Assembly: Joan M. Quigley; Vincent Prieto
Republicans for Assembly: Edward T. O'Neill; Jacob Hahn

33rd DISTRICT
Democrats for Senate: Brian P. Stack
Republicans for Senate: none

Democrats for Assembly: Ruben J. Ramos Jr.; Caridad Rodriguez
Republicans for Assembly: none

COUNTY EXECUTIVE
Democrats: Thomas A. DeGise
Republicans: Agha M. Khan
Independents: Herbert H. Shaw (Politicians Are Crooks/Politicos Son Corruptos)

COUNTY SHERIFF
Democrats: Juan M. Perez
Republicans: Gregory Rivera

COUNTY CLERK
Democrats: Barbara A. Netchert
Republicans: David Solari

FREEHOLDER-SEVENTH DISTRICT
Democrats: Jose C. Munoz
Republicans: Vasilios H. Scoullos

PUBLIC QUESTIONS
In addition, voters will vote on four state referendums. The first asks whether the state should apportion 1 percent of sales taxes to property tax relief.

Voting "yes" to the second shows approval for the New Jersey Stem Cell Research Bond Act, which would finance $450 million in stem cell research grants over 10 years.

Voting "yes" to the third question, the Green Acres, Farmland, Blue Acres and Historic Preservation Bond Act of 2007, would give the state approval to borrow $200 million for open space acquisition and development, and farmland and historic preservation.

In the fourth question, the state will ask whether it should change how it describes people that it deems incapable of voting in the constitution: the phrase "idiot or insane person" would be changed to "person who has been adjudicated by a court of competent jurisdiction to lack the capacity to understand the act of voting."

2007  The Jersey Journal

Offline pinky

• View Profile
Re: Election Day: November 6, 2007
« Reply #25 on: 11-04-2007, 07:35pm »
A reminder that Election Day is this Tuesday, November 6, 2007. Get out and vote!
More info at http://www.njvoterinfo.org/

For Jersey City, there is little to no opposition. Please do not stay away from the polls for that reason. There is this to vote on:
11/03/2007

Question #3: yes or no

Voters to consider approving funds for open space on Election Day

Ricardo Kaulessar
Reporter staff writer

This Election Day, citizens of Hudson County and across the state will be faced with four statewide ballot questions at the polls.

One of those is Question No. 3, which asks voters to approve the Green Acres, Farmland, Blue Acres and Historic Preservation Bond Act of 2007.

If passed, it would authorize the state to issue $200 million in general obligation bonds to provide funds to continue New Jersey's open space, farmland and historic preservation programs for a year or more, and to support the state's Blue Acres program to purchase flood-prone properties.

Funds provided over the past ten years from the Garden State Preservation Trust (GSPT), a financing authority that manages funds for the highly-successful Green Acres and the farmland and historic preservation programs, dried up after Governor Jon Corzine and the N.J. Legislature were unable to agree on funding for the trust.

And it was only apropos that a press conference last Monday was held at Jersey City's Reservoir No. 3 to tout the benefits of Question No. 3, and to encourage the public to answer "yes" to the question.

Speakers for the event included Mayor Jerramiah Healy, City Council President Mariano Vega (in his role as the head of the Hudson County Department Of Parks, Engineering & Planning), State Assemblyman Louis Manzo (N.J.-31), Hackensack Riverkeeper Captain Bill Sheehan, NY/NJ Baykeeper Greg Remaud, Gary Rice of the N.J. Department of Environmental Protection, Steve Latham of the Jersey City Reservoir Preservation Alliance (responsible for the upkeep of Reservoir No.3) and Kevin Moore of Newark's Weequahic Park Association.

Also in attendance were members of various open space preservation groups both on a local and state level.

Among them was Eric Stile of the N.J. Audubon Society, one of the spokespersons of the N.J. Keep It Green Campaign, a consortium of over 90 environmental groups working to promote Question No. 3.

"It's fair to say the gas tank is empty," Stile said. "A vision without funding is a hallucination...bottom line is we're out of money."

Why Question No. 3?

The "question" of Question No. 3 is - why is it on the ballot?

In June, Governor Jon Corzine and the N.J. Legislature agreed to leave it up to voters to decide whether or not they want to continue funding the GSPT for another year.

Ballot Question No. 3, if approved by voters, would allow the State Legislature to issue bonds that would be paid back in the next 30 years from existing revenue sources, such as the state's income tax and sales tax. Thus, it will require a tax increase.

The $200 million gained from the sales of the bonds would be allocated as follows: $109 million for open space and park development, $73 million to preserve farmland, $6 million for historic preservation and $12 million to acquire flood-prone properties along the Passaic, Raritan and Delaware rivers and their tributaries.

Local municipalities usually apply for grants from the state's Green Acres program in order to use the grants for the acquisition of open space for new parkland or preservation of existing land from any pending development.

According to Gary Rice of the DEP, who cited the data on grants issued by the Green Acres Program in 2004, the last year when data was collected on the amount of money municipalities were given, Jersey City received $1.5 million. The monies have gone to the development of such parks as Bayside Park, located off Garfield Avenue, currently undergoing renovation.

But Question No. 3 is facing opposition from various groups such as Americans for Prosperity, led by Bogota Mayor and longtime Republican activist Steven Lonegan. Lonegan claims that there should be no bonding by the state government when it is currently over $33 billion in debt. He also said that the state will increase taxes in the future to pay off the debt incurred from paying off the bonds.

Their answers to the question

With the backdrop of Reservoir No. 3, its lake and the birds that occupy the reservoir, speakers touted the importance of answering Question No. 3.

Healy said the funds that would be generated from bonding if Public Question No. 3 passes is money "well-spent" to develop open space.

Jersey City has plans to develop the reservoir in future years as a passive recreation site, and will depend on Green Acres funding for that endeavor. The city also completed a recreation master plan for the renovation and development of all the city's parks.

"Those funds can be used to maintain [Reservoir No. 3], make it more accessible so it can be used by more people and make it safer," Healy said.

Manzo said voters should "feel good" about voting for the ballot issue on Election Day.

"It's something that will pay back dividends for Jersey City and for the residents living in the urban areas in one of the state's most densely populated areas," Manzo said.

Latham said the funding will not only benefit the development of Reservoir No. 3, but also other open space in years to come.

"Future generations are going to look back and wonder why we didn't save things," Latham said. "To say we didn't have enough money is a ridiculous thing to say."

Comments on this story can be sent to: Ricardo Kaulessar at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Election Day: November 6, 2007
« Reply #24 on: 11-04-2007, 07:26pm »
A reminder that Election Day is this Tuesday, November 6, 2007. Get out and vote!
More info at http://www.njvoterinfo.org/

Offline PhillyGirl

• View Profile
Re: DON'T FORGET TO VOTE TODAY (Tuesday, June 5, 2007)
« Reply #23 on: 06-07-2007, 09:56pm »
Well, aren't we the genius, Justi?  Hmmmm?!

Seriously, every community is different w/r/t who can vote in primaries, you should check when you move.  Also, I recommend always registering for a party so you can vote in at least one primary.  If you are a true independent, I would register for whichever party has the most interesting primaries.  E.g., in JC, it makes no sense to register as a Republican or and Independent, as that gives you little influence.  Might as well register Democrat so you can have a vote that matters. In other communities (I dunno, maybe most of Texas) it makes no sense to be a Democrat and you should register as a Republican just to have some say.  Of course, if your party registration is as much a part of your identity as mine is, this is a difficult strategy. But, if you are a real independent and you aren't planning to run for office or get a political appointment ever, it really makes the most sense.

I want to live like a Saudi prince. Can you get me a tent, three wifes and a camel? -- JSQ, AtS

Offline justiceiro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06-07-2007, 09:38pm »
Damn!  I'm an independent, but I always assumed primaries were open only to party members.  I only vote in general elections.
I'm the Chakotay that you want me to be.

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06-07-2007, 09:53am »
If you had previously declared an affiliation; if not (ie, still listed as Independent), you could choose. 

Not sure of the process if you wanted to switch . . .

Offline justiceiro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06-07-2007, 09:03am »
Don't you have to be a registered democrat to vote in this election?
I'm the Chakotay that you want me to be.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06-06-2007, 12:28pm »
A Downtown-centric question, if I may: does anyone know which parts, and what percentage (population-wise), of Downtown JC are included in the 31st, 32nd and 33rd legislative districts?

TIA,
Stack-voter

Offline ianmac47

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06-06-2007, 09:25am »
I believe New Jersey has sore loser laws that prevent failed primary candidates from being on the ballot in the general following a primary loss.

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06-06-2007, 08:47am »
So who's the Republican running against her?  There's no way I'm voting for Cunningham.

Or could Manzo run as an independent a la Lieberman?

Good question Woodsy. I do not know the answer.

There were hardly lines forming around the block at the library yesterday when I voted at around 6:30. I was the only one there. There was some excitement though when some guy came in and started yelling at the poll workers for leaving empty bottles and trash on the library steps!

Offline Woodsy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06-06-2007, 07:47am »
So who's the Republican running against her?  There's no way I'm voting for Cunningham.

Or could Manzo run as an independent a la Lieberman?
« Last Edit: 06-06-2007, 07:49am by Woodsy »

Offline super_furry

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06-05-2007, 10:27pm »
Sandra Bolden Cunningham     9,844     55.24%
Louis M. Manzo    7,963    44.69%

Manzo loses :(
I believe in kama

Offline NON

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06-05-2007, 09:16pm »
http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org/cgi-bin/election.pl

for election results, up-to-the-minute. it's self-refreshing, too.

Sacco and Stack appear to have won in landslides.

Quigley and Prieto, and Ramos and Rodriguez, in the 32nd and 33rd, respectively.

DeGise has 57% of the vote at 9.13pm, with 71% reporting. Velazquez is at 43%.

31st still has barely 50% reporting, but Manzo is leading Cunningham by 15 points. And Chiaravalotti and Chiappone look likely to win at 27% each, with L. Harvey Smith trailing 5 points behind.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06-05-2007, 08:01pm »
We were voters #75 and 76 in our district (E-10). Better turnout than for the Board of Ed., I guess.

Offline ianmac47

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06-05-2007, 07:42pm »
Polls are open for another 20 minutes. Go VOTE

Offline skwirrlking

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06-05-2007, 05:25pm »
Just a reminder: If election workers try to turn you away because your name is not on the voter rolls you can request a Provisional Ballot.

Second, if you arrive at a polling location before 8pm and are online to vote they MUST LET YOU VOTE even if it is after 8PM.

- I just did the provisional ballot. got a few bewildered looks at first, but asked to speak with the person in charge and got it.

Offline NON

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06-05-2007, 04:06pm »

Second, if you arrive at a polling location before 8pm and are online to vote they MUST LET YOU VOTE even if it is after 8PM.

would that a JC primary election had that problem, ian. i suspect the lines are unlikely to wrap around the block for this one. though your advice is entirely correct and appreciated (and i wish the same held true for the taco bell drive through the other night!)

Offline ianmac47

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06-05-2007, 03:59pm »
Just a reminder: If election workers try to turn you away because your name is not on the voter rolls you can request a Provisional Ballot.

Offline pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06-05-2007, 02:24pm »
I will be voting tonight after work, but I'm pretty sure the Hudson County Republicans have this one in the bag.

bwahhahahh

tee hee hee!

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06-05-2007, 02:23pm »
Primary elections are being held today so please vote.  Polls are open from 6 am to 8 pm so if you forgot this morning please go after work. 

I will be voting tonight after work, but I'm pretty sure the Hudson County Republicans have this one in the bag.

bwahhahahh

Offline Woodsy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-05-2007, 01:37pm »

Offline pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-05-2007, 01:22pm »
alas, i will only be voting once. and late.

but when i do, i'll be voting for Lou Manzo, L. Harvey Smith, Chiavarolotti [sp?], and DeGise.

Ditto!!

Offline Mr_Grieves

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-05-2007, 12:23pm »
The Cunningham campaign put small campaign posters up on all the houses (or on the gates, etc.) on my block and probably beyond.  That takes balls.  I complained to the mayor's office for whatever good that'll do. 
Well just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Offline NON

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06-05-2007, 12:06pm »
Early and often...

alas, i will only be voting once. and late.

but when i do, i'll be voting for Lou Manzo, L. Harvey Smith, Chiavarolotti [sp?], and DeGise.

Offline glx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-05-2007, 10:28am »
Early and often...

Offline Woodsy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE: Election Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: 06-05-2007, 09:34am »
Primary elections are being held today so please vote.  Polls are open from 6 am to 8 pm so if you forgot this morning please go after work. 

Moderator's note: Title edited
« Last Edit: 11-04-2007, 07:23pm by MCA »

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE: Election Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: 06-05-2007, 09:34am »