Author Topic: DON'T FORGET TO VOTE: Election Day Thread  (Read 52874 times)

Offline jc_insomniac

• View Profile
Re: DON'T FORGET TO VOTE: Election Day Thread
« Reply #47 on: 01-14-2008, 11:56pm »
Coolio. Thanks TF!

Hey, if I voted in the last election, am I automatically registered for this year's upcoming one?

Yep. You only have to register once. (unless you move, want to change your afiliation, or change your information in any other way...)

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 01-14-2008, 10:45pm »
Hey, if I voted in the last election, am I automatically registered for this year's upcoming one?

Yep. You only have to register once. (unless you move, want to change your afiliation, or change your information in any other way...)
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline jc_insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 01-14-2008, 08:21pm »

Offline jc_insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11-07-2007, 09:03pm »
I am opposed to anything that could potentially take any more of my hard-earned money.

Offline Case

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11-07-2007, 09:00pm »
I got a personal phone call from Brian Stack's tape machine tonight.  Apparently the machine wanted to thank me for the victory, though I was very rude to the machine and hung up in mid-sentence.  I grudgingly accept that I'm going to be called during a political campaign, but a thank you call after it's over?  Who does that??  If a loser's tape machine called me, I might understand.  The guy's pissed and he wants to bug me about it.  But the winner should quit while he's ahead, so to speak.

Gotta break now.  Got a call coming in.................Yeah, it's Question #2 and he's fit to be tied.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11-07-2007, 10:53am »
I voted No on both questions 2 and 3. 

I am all for stem-cell research and open space, but the damn state is 33 BILLION dollars in debt already and this would've added nearly 3/4's of a BILLION dollars more to that debt.
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

AmbushBug

« Reply #41 on: 11-07-2007, 10:23am »

I don't understand the rationale behind voting against an initiative that might lead to more conservation of land which in this state seems to be a much needed effort. The Stem Cell thing I can understand if you are swayed by the religious people...I can understand people's rationale or why they would vote against it...I don't agree but I understand what they are thinking.

I disagree, Kindelan. I think that, in New Jersey at least, people were against the Stem Cell question more because of the raise in taxes than because of ideology, especially with the state's current economic issues. That said, I'm disappointed by these results; I think we could have raised a shitload of money and proved that we're a progressive state.

The most interesting thing, to me, is that my home county of Middlesex voted against the stem cell question; you'd think the corporate headquarters of Johnson & Johnson would go the other way.

I guess people get put off by any ballot questions that suggest the government will spend more money?

I think people are against raising taxes. Even in New Jersey, and even to help ourselves.

Offline pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11-07-2007, 09:52am »
State wide: Ballot questions 1 and 2 were defeated.

When I got to the voting place I asked if anyone had one of those ...you know it's like a guide that they send you in the mail about the different issues and what not. A nice lady offered me hers and I was shocked and astounded and worried because she had marked her answers on the sheet...she voted yes for question 1 and No for all the others.

I guess people get put off by any ballot questions that suggest the government will spend more money? I don't understand the rationale behind voting against an initiative that might lead to more conservation of land which in this state seems to be a much needed effort. The Stem Cell thing I can understand if you are swayed by the religious people...I can understand people's rationale or why they would vote against it...I don't agree but I understand what they are thinking.

Did anyone vote no to question 2 and wouldn't mind explaining how they made that decision?

http://elections.nj.com/dynamic/files/elections/2007/by_county/NJ_Question_1106.html?SITE=NJNEWELN&SECTION=POLITICS

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11-07-2007, 08:57am »

When I got to the voting place I asked if anyone had one of those ...you know it's like a guide that they send you in the mail about the different issues and what not. A nice lady offered me hers and I was shocked and astounded and worried because she had marked her answers on the sheet...she voted yes for question 1 and No for all the others.

I guess people get put off by any ballot questions that suggest the government will spend more money? I don't understand the rationale behind voting against an initiative that might lead to more conservation of land which in this state seems to be a much needed effort. The Stem Cell thing I can understand if you are swayed by the religious people...I can understand people's rationale or why they would vote against it...I don't agree but I understand what they are thinking.

Did anyone vote no to question 2 and wouldn't mind explaining how they made that decision?

Offline pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11-06-2007, 11:39pm »

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
« Reply #37 on: 11-06-2007, 11:11pm »
Once again, congratulations.  ;D 

Oh, and I voted too, man am I cool.  O0

Thankies! So, who won?

Don't you know? When democracy works, we all win.  ;D
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11-06-2007, 10:27pm »

Offline jc_insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11-06-2007, 10:19pm »

Thankies! So, who won?

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11-06-2007, 07:23pm »
As a recently enfranchised individual, I exercised my newly-gained right bright and early this morning.

"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11-06-2007, 07:17pm »

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
Sanctimonious bleater.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11-06-2007, 03:59pm »
Who wants to go voting?!  ;D

I'll be at Grace Church around 6:00.

Offline jc_insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11-06-2007, 03:26pm »
As a recently enfranchised individual, I exercised my newly-gained right bright and early this morning.

It DID feel like going to a bake sale, but a poorly attended one. It was only me and about 10 poll workers at 7:30 AM. Hopefully there'll be a better turnout this evening.

I voted. Its feels kind of like going to a bake sale.

« Last Edit: 11-06-2007, 03:40pm by jc_insomniac »

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11-06-2007, 10:58am »
I voted. Its feels kind of like going to a bake sale.
Sanctimonious bleater.

Offline pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11-06-2007, 10:54am »
What time do the mofo polls close?

8 mofo pm

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11-06-2007, 10:51am »
What time do the mofo polls close?

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11-05-2007, 07:52am »
JJ preview:

Voters to decide state, local races
Monday, November 05, 2007

The polls are open in Hudson County tomorrow, with state and local candidates competing in this year's general election.

The polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.; you can find your polling place by calling the Hudson County Clerk's Office at (201) 795-5932 or going to the Election Polling Place Locator at http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org/elections.

Voters are asked to vote for one candidate for the state Senate and two for the Assembly.

31st DISTRICT
Democrats for Senate: Sandra Bolden Cunningham
Republicans for Senate: none
Independents for Senate: Louis Vernotico (Eliminate Party Elections)

Democrats for Assembly: L. Harvey Smith; Anthony Chiappone
Republicans for Assembly: none

32nd DISTRICT
Democrats for Senate: Nicholas J. Sacco
Republicans for Senate: John Pluchino

Democrats for Assembly: Joan M. Quigley; Vincent Prieto
Republicans for Assembly: Edward T. O'Neill; Jacob Hahn

33rd DISTRICT
Democrats for Senate: Brian P. Stack
Republicans for Senate: none

Democrats for Assembly: Ruben J. Ramos Jr.; Caridad Rodriguez
Republicans for Assembly: none

COUNTY EXECUTIVE
Democrats: Thomas A. DeGise
Republicans: Agha M. Khan
Independents: Herbert H. Shaw (Politicians Are Crooks/Politicos Son Corruptos)

COUNTY SHERIFF
Democrats: Juan M. Perez
Republicans: Gregory Rivera

COUNTY CLERK
Democrats: Barbara A. Netchert
Republicans: David Solari

FREEHOLDER-SEVENTH DISTRICT
Democrats: Jose C. Munoz
Republicans: Vasilios H. Scoullos

PUBLIC QUESTIONS
In addition, voters will vote on four state referendums. The first asks whether the state should apportion 1 percent of sales taxes to property tax relief.

Voting "yes" to the second shows approval for the New Jersey Stem Cell Research Bond Act, which would finance $450 million in stem cell research grants over 10 years.

Voting "yes" to the third question, the Green Acres, Farmland, Blue Acres and Historic Preservation Bond Act of 2007, would give the state approval to borrow $200 million for open space acquisition and development, and farmland and historic preservation.

In the fourth question, the state will ask whether it should change how it describes people that it deems incapable of voting in the constitution: the phrase "idiot or insane person" would be changed to "person who has been adjudicated by a court of competent jurisdiction to lack the capacity to understand the act of voting."

2007  The Jersey Journal

Offline pinky

• View Profile
Re: Election Day: November 6, 2007
« Reply #25 on: 11-04-2007, 07:35pm »
A reminder that Election Day is this Tuesday, November 6, 2007. Get out and vote!
More info at http://www.njvoterinfo.org/

For Jersey City, there is little to no opposition. Please do not stay away from the polls for that reason. There is this to vote on:
11/03/2007

Question #3: yes or no

Voters to consider approving funds for open space on Election Day

Ricardo Kaulessar
Reporter staff writer

This Election Day, citizens of Hudson County and across the state will be faced with four statewide ballot questions at the polls.

One of those is Question No. 3, which asks voters to approve the Green Acres, Farmland, Blue Acres and Historic Preservation Bond Act of 2007.

If passed, it would authorize the state to issue $200 million in general obligation bonds to provide funds to continue New Jersey's open space, farmland and historic preservation programs for a year or more, and to support the state's Blue Acres program to purchase flood-prone properties.

Funds provided over the past ten years from the Garden State Preservation Trust (GSPT), a financing authority that manages funds for the highly-successful Green Acres and the farmland and historic preservation programs, dried up after Governor Jon Corzine and the N.J. Legislature were unable to agree on funding for the trust.

And it was only apropos that a press conference last Monday was held at Jersey City's Reservoir No. 3 to tout the benefits of Question No. 3, and to encourage the public to answer "yes" to the question.

Speakers for the event included Mayor Jerramiah Healy, City Council President Mariano Vega (in his role as the head of the Hudson County Department Of Parks, Engineering & Planning), State Assemblyman Louis Manzo (N.J.-31), Hackensack Riverkeeper Captain Bill Sheehan, NY/NJ Baykeeper Greg Remaud, Gary Rice of the N.J. Department of Environmental Protection, Steve Latham of the Jersey City Reservoir Preservation Alliance (responsible for the upkeep of Reservoir No.3) and Kevin Moore of Newark's Weequahic Park Association.

Also in attendance were members of various open space preservation groups both on a local and state level.

Among them was Eric Stile of the N.J. Audubon Society, one of the spokespersons of the N.J. Keep It Green Campaign, a consortium of over 90 environmental groups working to promote Question No. 3.

"It's fair to say the gas tank is empty," Stile said. "A vision without funding is a hallucination...bottom line is we're out of money."

Why Question No. 3?

The "question" of Question No. 3 is - why is it on the ballot?

In June, Governor Jon Corzine and the N.J. Legislature agreed to leave it up to voters to decide whether or not they want to continue funding the GSPT for another year.

Ballot Question No. 3, if approved by voters, would allow the State Legislature to issue bonds that would be paid back in the next 30 years from existing revenue sources, such as the state's income tax and sales tax. Thus, it will require a tax increase.

The $200 million gained from the sales of the bonds would be allocated as follows: $109 million for open space and park development, $73 million to preserve farmland, $6 million for historic preservation and $12 million to acquire flood-prone properties along the Passaic, Raritan and Delaware rivers and their tributaries.

Local municipalities usually apply for grants from the state's Green Acres program in order to use the grants for the acquisition of open space for new parkland or preservation of existing land from any pending development.

According to Gary Rice of the DEP, who cited the data on grants issued by the Green Acres Program in 2004, the last year when data was collected on the amount of money municipalities were given, Jersey City received $1.5 million. The monies have gone to the development of such parks as Bayside Park, located off Garfield Avenue, currently undergoing renovation.

But Question No. 3 is facing opposition from various groups such as Americans for Prosperity, led by Bogota Mayor and longtime Republican activist Steven Lonegan. Lonegan claims that there should be no bonding by the state government when it is currently over $33 billion in debt. He also said that the state will increase taxes in the future to pay off the debt incurred from paying off the bonds.

Their answers to the question

With the backdrop of Reservoir No. 3, its lake and the birds that occupy the reservoir, speakers touted the importance of answering Question No. 3.

Healy said the funds that would be generated from bonding if Public Question No. 3 passes is money "well-spent" to develop open space.

Jersey City has plans to develop the reservoir in future years as a passive recreation site, and will depend on Green Acres funding for that endeavor. The city also completed a recreation master plan for the renovation and development of all the city's parks.

"Those funds can be used to maintain [Reservoir No. 3], make it more accessible so it can be used by more people and make it safer," Healy said.

Manzo said voters should "feel good" about voting for the ballot issue on Election Day.

"It's something that will pay back dividends for Jersey City and for the residents living in the urban areas in one of the state's most densely populated areas," Manzo said.

Latham said the funding will not only benefit the development of Reservoir No. 3, but also other open space in years to come.

"Future generations are going to look back and wonder why we didn't save things," Latham said. "To say we didn't have enough money is a ridiculous thing to say."

Comments on this story can be sent to: Ricardo Kaulessar at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Election Day: November 6, 2007
« Reply #24 on: 11-04-2007, 07:26pm »
A reminder that Election Day is this Tuesday, November 6, 2007. Get out and vote!
More info at http://www.njvoterinfo.org/

Offline PhillyGirl

• View Profile
Re: DON'T FORGET TO VOTE TODAY (Tuesday, June 5, 2007)
« Reply #23 on: 06-07-2007, 09:56pm »
Well, aren't we the genius, Justi?  Hmmmm?!

Seriously, every community is different w/r/t who can vote in primaries, you should check when you move.  Also, I recommend always registering for a party so you can vote in at least one primary.  If you are a true independent, I would register for whichever party has the most interesting primaries.  E.g., in JC, it makes no sense to register as a Republican or and Independent, as that gives you little influence.  Might as well register Democrat so you can have a vote that matters. In other communities (I dunno, maybe most of Texas) it makes no sense to be a Democrat and you should register as a Republican just to have some say.  Of course, if your party registration is as much a part of your identity as mine is, this is a difficult strategy. But, if you are a real independent and you aren't planning to run for office or get a political appointment ever, it really makes the most sense.

I want to live like a Saudi prince. Can you get me a tent, three wifes and a camel? -- JSQ, AtS

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Re: DON'T FORGET TO VOTE TODAY (Tuesday, June 5, 2007)
« Reply #23 on: 06-07-2007, 09:56pm »