Author Topic: DON'T FORGET TO VOTE: Election Day Thread  (Read 43234 times)

Online TheFang

• View Profile
Re: DON'T FORGET TO VOTE: Election Day Thread
« Reply #97 on: 06-06-2017, 10:37am »
*bump*
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Online Darna

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 11-08-2016, 07:05pm »
i love that baby stoat.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 11-08-2016, 01:07pm »
Waited exactly one hour to be voter number 217 at McNair HS (ward E District 10). I've never seen lines this long.

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 05-14-2013, 05:40pm »
Voter 217 at noon at PS9

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 05-14-2013, 09:23am »
District E-10, voter 54 at 8:45am

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 11-03-2009, 08:58am »
I voted this morning, always a good feeling. Here's to keeping NJ blue...

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 11-03-2009, 08:19am »

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Vote-by-mail is gearing up
« Reply #90 on: 10-23-2009, 08:22am »
Vote-by-mail is gearing up
Friday, October 23, 2009
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The Hudson County Clerk's Office has been busy processing applications for vote-by-mail ballots, with the election still over a week away.

For the first time, state residents have been given the chance to vote by mail, under a new state law. Unlike absentee ballots, voters don't need a reason to take a pass on heading to the polls Nov. 3.

"You can vote from the privacy of your home," said Hudson County Clerk Barbara Netchert.

There are 309,082 registered voters in Hudson County.

As of yesterday afternoon, Netchert's office had processed 7,800 vote-by-mail applications and was likely to break the 8,000 mark by the end of the day.

Voters who wish to cast votes by mail must have their applications postmarked by Oct. 27. Ballots must be returned by Nov. 2.

Applications are available on the county clerk's Web site, http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org.

Voters can request an application in person until 3 p.m. on Nov. 2. The ballot would be handed to the applicant, who could fill it out and walk down the hall to deliver it to the county Board of Elections, Netchert said.

Applications must be mailed or submitted in person. Faxes and e-mails are not being accepted.

The Clerk's Office is located on the fourth floor of Hudson County Plaza, at 257 Cornelison Ave.

Polls will be open Nov. 3 from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Additional information is available at http://www.NJElections.org or by calling 877-NJVOTER.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Primary elections TODAY
« Reply #89 on: 06-02-2009, 08:51am »
Don't forget to vote today for your Democratic gubernatorial candidates Gov. Jon Corzine of Hoboken, Guttenberg's Jeff Boss, former Glen Ridge mayor Carl Bergmanson or Philipsburg businessman Roger Bacon.

If you're a registered Republican, your gubernatorial candidates are former U.S. Attorney Chris Christie, Steve Lonegan, Bogota's former mayor, and Assemblyman Rick Merkt of Mendham.

There are also primaries for State Assembly, State Committee and County Committee.

Polls are open today from 6 am to 8 pm.

Offline Woodsy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 05-12-2009, 07:56am »
Got my 5 votes in.  The incumbent stopped by as I was leaving.  Minutes before, a municipal employee known to live outside of Jersey City was recognized and challenged, thus preventing him from voting using another person's address in town.

Maybe it was yours?

Rights (like muscles and brain cells) not exercised may soon be lost.

Wow!  I never really thought this kind of stuff happened, at least not anymore.  That individual should be arrested and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.  They should also be fired but given who they were probably voting for I know that's not going to happen.

All the more reason they should require some form of identification before letting people vote.
« Last Edit: 05-12-2009, 01:16pm by Woodsy »

Online CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 05-12-2009, 07:52am »
Got my 5 votes in.  The incumbent stopped by as I was leaving.  Minutes before, a municipal employee known to live outside of Jersey City was recognized and challenged, thus preventing him from voting using another person's address in town.

Maybe it was yours?

Rights (like muscles and brain cells) not exercised may soon be lost.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE: Mayor & City Council Elections
« Reply #86 on: 05-12-2009, 05:24am »
JJ:

Polls open until 8 p.m. in Jersey City, Hoboken
Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Jersey City and Hoboken are holding municipal elections today. Polls are open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.

In Jersey City, voters are electing a mayor and City Council members, while in Hoboken, voters are electing a mayor and at-large City Council members.

Voters who have problems with voting records at their polling site can call the Hudson County superintendent of elections at the following phone numbers: (201) 795-6552, (201) 795-6554, (201) 795-6278, (201) 795-6279 or (201) 795-6275.

Voters who experience problems with voting machines at their polling sites can call: (201) 795-6156, (201) 795-6987 or (201) 795-6999.

For additional information, voters can also contact the Jersey City City Clerk's Office at (201) 574-5150 and the Hoboken City Clerk's Office at (201) 420-2073.

--

And today's editorial:

You're needed to help guide ship
Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Today, Hoboken and Jersey City voters are casting their ballots for those they want to run their respective cities. The worst thing that could happen to the future of these municipalities would be for many citizens to believe their vote will not change anything and stay away from the polls.

Every vote does count.

There is some concern among some candidates' camps that the record votes cast in the election of President Barack Obama took all the air out of the electorate's enthusiasm for local races. While those who voted in November wanted to have an impact on this nation, they should want to do the same where they live.

This is not about extolling the virtues of democracy but rather this newspaper is reminding voters that their lives and those of their loved ones are being greatly affected by those who say they are, or want to be, public servants. This is the time when you grade their performance. Voters will either return them to office for more of the same government or vote to make a change.

Is Hoboken a hometown or is it more of a "bedroom" community? Some Mile Square City cynics say that if you ask morning rush-hour commuters whether they will vote today, many will answer with a question: Is there an election?

Today will determine whether this is true or not.

In Jersey City, the incumbent mayor is also chairman of the Hudson County Democratic Organization. In keeping or rejecting him, city voters will have a big impact on the broader political landscape when they make their choice.

How will your vote count?

Both cities have a runoff provision. To win outright, a candidate must have 50 percent of the votes cast for their post, plus one vote. For at-large council candidates, a 50-plus-one winner will drag along the next two highest vote-getters.

Even if you are unhappy with the available candidates and write in "none of the above" in a race your vote counts toward the total on which the percentage is based, and makes it harder to get that 50-plus-one. The choice may be easier once the field of candidates is cut down to two.

Polls open at 6 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. This is plenty of time to exercise a right won with American blood.
« Last Edit: 05-12-2009, 05:29am by MCA »

Offline JimRockford

• He Hate Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 11-04-2008, 08:35pm »
Saint Francis building this afternoon, no lines. GO OBAMA!
"When I die I want to be buried in Jersey City so I can remain active in Hudson County politics". Brendan Byrne

Offline jennymayla

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 11-04-2008, 07:40pm »
I would like to take a moment to be thankful for working for a place that let me do what I needed to do today, with no pressure about getting into the office.  Regardless of level, everyone was allowed to do what they had to in order to vote, which is awesome.

Apparently folks at Ogilvy have to record time off for voting as Personal Day:  http://gawker.com/5076150/ad-agency-graciously-allows-staff-to-use-a-vacation-day-to-vote

I heard that BBDO, another big agency, was actually closed today so people could vote.  Pretty cool.

What's even more random is that i fell into a little group of people on line today and they were all in advertising too.  Strange small world.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
Re: 2008 Presidential Election
« Reply #83 on: 11-04-2008, 06:59pm »
Interesting, thanks.

Is there a map somewhere?  I like voting there (my post earlier was snark about the church / state thing, I'm allowed to enjoy irony too you know) but there has to be somewhere closer.  Just curious.
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 11-04-2008, 06:15pm »
Does anyone here know where District 15/Ward E is?

It seems as if the lines for that district (at Van Vorst church) are very long.

Are the lines long because that's the warehouse area and a lot of new voters have moved in there, or is it in an area where there are a lot of voters who are psyched about the campaign?

Maybe things like Grove Pointe and 50 Columbus are now part of that district, and they have alot of people in them.

As a coworker of a 50 Columbus resident, I can confirm that this is true.

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 11-04-2008, 05:49pm »

Are the lines long because that's the warehouse area and a lot of new voters have moved in there, or is it in an area where there are a lot of voters who are psyched about the campaign?

Maybe things like Grove Pointe and 50 Columbus are now part of that district, and they have alot of people in them.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 11-04-2008, 05:11pm »

I am resident of whatever cockamamie and most likely unfair districting this is and yes, I live in the PAD.

Hope the line is not too bad, I haven't gotten there yet.
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

alb

« Reply #79 on: 11-04-2008, 05:05pm »

Offline DarkMoment

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 11-04-2008, 03:22pm »
I voted at Grace Church, Ward E, District 14 and had one person in front of me,out within 5 minutes. District 13 line on other side of gym had over 100+ in line opposite me at about 11:30AM.

I hope all saw and voted on the three questions at bottom of ballot. I asked one of my neighbors if he saw them and he said no and in our voting booth it was dark and with questions at bottom of ballot many may have overlooked them. Suggest they put questions at top of ballot and candidates underneath as all will look for where candidates are and not necessarily the questions.

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
  • fuck a goddamn canadian rig count.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 11-04-2008, 03:03pm »
Voted at McNair about 2:30.  Walked out with a big smile on my face.  No problems.  No chaos.   
[06:11 PM]  fasteddie: jesus, this SB is deader than JC Vibe

Offline beachmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 11-04-2008, 02:23pm »
wow! what a day. It is truly emotional and exciting.

Hopefully today will mark a huge shift in the way our country is viewed across the world and the beginning of a more cooperative system based on diplomacy, compassion and respect through which all is possible and through which our greatest vision of this country can be realized.

Online TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: 11-04-2008, 02:00pm »
I voted two weeks ago by absentee ballot.

Just voted at PS 3, no line and out in 5 minutes. Though I must admit I being the dork I am spent some time behind that curtain just letting it all sink in. I get such a high off of voting. Total wonk.  ;D

Whoooo! Democracy!!!

Offline super_furry

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 11-04-2008, 01:09pm »
I voted two weeks ago by absentee ballot.
« Last Edit: 11-04-2008, 01:12pm by super_furry »
I believe in kama

Offline jennymayla

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 11-04-2008, 12:25pm »
Voter number 517 in Paulus Hook (don't ask).  Waited three hours for the privilege.  TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Oh, and one of the workers yelled at us for being grumpy about the wait. "YOU PEOPLE only come out once every four years!"

It was awesome. 

;D

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

« Reply #73 on: 11-04-2008, 12:25pm »