Author Topic: Where would you move (within JC)?  (Read 9000 times)

Offline ericmargel

• View Profile
Re: Where would you move (within JC)?
« Reply #23 on: 05-07-2012, 03:42pm »
331 Newark looks an amazing space.  I remember first seeing that listing when it was at around $3 million.  I just checked Zillow, and it was first listed back in late 2008 at $4.6M.   A 50% reduction...yikes.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Urban Palace in Jersey City gallery (23 photos)

Jersey City owner renovated hidden palace, now wants to sell for $2.3M
Published: Monday, May 07, 2012, 3:00 AM
Updated: Monday, May 07, 2012, 7:41 AM
Summer Dawn Hortillosa / For The Jersey Journal

Between the Historic Jersey City and Harsimus Cemetery and a local school used as backdrop in The Sopranos, lies a secret urban palace selling for $2.3 million.

From the street, passers-by would never guess that the 7,000 square-foot home, located at 331 Newark Ave., has three bedrooms, three full bathrooms, two-half baths, two outdoor decks, an industrial freight elevator, and a heated rooftop pool. Wood, metal, brick and stone perfectly fuse with the four-story homes earth-tone decor to create an industrial, yet natural, space.

Owner Stacey Kalins purchased the building in 2002 for roughly $420,000.

I walked in and saw the hardwood floors, the bricks, the exposed beams, the freight elevator and my favorite materials wood, stone and metal. It really caught my eye and I thought, I have to have this place, said Kalins.

Kalins spent roughly $1.3 million turning it into her dream house, receiving help from local metal worker Matt Johnson, who created custom cabinets and drawer handles. A Pennsylvania company created the homes staircases out of wood and sheets of metal that appear to weave together organically.

An experienced renovator and interior designer, Kalins also did much of the work herself, including installing a bathroom sink counter made of wooden beams.

I refinished the floors, did the woodwork, tiles and painting myself. It was an extensive project but Im ready to move on, said Kalins, who is moving to Ocean Grove.

Kalins also added on a section to the building that houses a four-car garage, an entertainment room with interior waterfalls and ponds, and two outdoor decks facing School 5 and Fourth Street.

I had a lot of people over, a lot of good parties. Wed meet up at Madame Claudes (a French cafe on Fourth Street) and then jump into the pool afterwards, she said. I love this neighborhood. Its eclectic and quiet here.

Online fasteddie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08-13-2011, 08:39am »
I would be not too far from where I am right now, in one of those beautiful brownstones on Mercer or Wayne between Jersey and Varick.
ahem

Offline propscene

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08-12-2011, 05:34pm »
This place -- on which of course I'd do a gut renovation (except for the pool).

Ha ha! The link above is broken now, but it's totally the same place:

Reality TV show rents Jersey City house for $60,000

woah, we were snooping :nerd: I mean really snooping, like peering in the ground floor windows, around the front of that place one evening a year or so ago, and the people who lived there opened the front door and instead of tazing us invited us in for a tour. I think they had it on the market then and figured it couldn't hurt to let us snoop around inside as well.

Also- agree with Kinde, there are some beautiful places on Ogden that I would not mind living in.

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08-12-2011, 04:53pm »
My choices:

Ogden Ave has some awesome old homes with what I imagine are incredible views of NYC

A complete top floor in the old Medical Center with a Jai Lai court.

Gifford and Sherman have some amazing mansions but they're not my style.

I really like Magnolia Ave there is one historic house in particular with a huge yard that I like. I know the address but I'm not telling you people.

A brownstone by VVP or maybe one of those really narrow brownstones they are so cozy. +1 on that house on Mercer with the wrought iron glass room, I would put my Christmas tree in there and throw candies to the poor children.

Oh and a converted firehouse with a pole.

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
Re: Reality TV show rents Jersey City house for $60,000
« Reply #18 on: 08-12-2011, 04:15pm »

August 12, 2011 01:45PM
By Adam Fusfeld

The First Street house is 11,000 square feet and has a 1,200-square-foot roof deck and an indoor pool, Adjaye said. It has six bathrooms, seven bathrooms and was converted from a former meat smoking factory. The lease runs from Aug. 8 to Sept. 28, according to Schwartz.

A house with 13 bathrooms!  It truly IS my dream home!
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08-12-2011, 03:51pm »

Ha ha! The link above is broken now, but it's totally the same place:

August 12, 2011 01:45PM
By Adam Fusfeld

French reality television show "Angels of Reality" is descending upon Jersey City for its third season, thanks to a last-minute lease brokered by two Keller Williams agents. The show, which takes a group of reality TV stars and puts them up in a "dream house" as they pursue careers in the entertainment industry, signed a six-week lease on a home at 361 First Street in the historic downtown section for $60,000, production company Paradoxal, Inc. confirmed.

"We were looking for something very large -- at least five bedrooms -- with modern furniture and a private swimming pool in New York City or as close as possible," said Doryne Mercier, a production coordinator on the show.

In late July, Paradoxal got in touch with Keller Williams NYC broker Laura Schwartz to find a house for filming in the area by the second week of August. Schwartz said the last-minute nature of the lease, combined with the unique demands of a short-term rental for a big house with a pool during the summer months made it a particularly challenging assignment.

"We knew it would be difficult because we needed an owner that would trust us," Mercier said of the search.

But by August 2, Schwartz, Adjaye and Paradoxal had inked a deal. Schwartz solicited Keller Williams colleague Gershon Adjaye, who is licensed in both New York and New Jersey, to show them his listing, which was asking $30,000 per month, in Jersey City. Adjaye had been working with the owner on this house and several other properties he owns since 2007. He put the home on display on "Open House NYC" three years ago, and rented it for $40,000 to ESPN about two years ago for the "Summer House" program that airs on ESPNU, so its owner was accustomed to showcasing the house on television, he said.

The First Street house is 11,000 square feet and has a 1,200-square-foot roof deck and an indoor pool, Adjaye said. It has six bathrooms, seven bathrooms and was converted from a former meat smoking factory. The lease runs from Aug. 8 to Sept. 28, according to Schwartz.

The show's two previous seasons were held in Los Angeles and Miami, but Paradoxal refused to give any information about the upcoming New York season. According to the Angels of Reality website, the show will air in 40 half-hour episodes.

AmbushBug

« Reply #16 on: 06-07-2007, 10:20am »
The gun shop. I'd be protected from black people trying to double park.

Offline LadyDi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06-06-2007, 07:29pm »
-- weren't they asking $9mm at one point? always thought it was a publicity stunt.

I've always eyed a funny place that looks like a Southern one-story storefront next to Prontos (??) or whatever that Italian joint is at the corner of Essex and Washington.  Someone bought it recently, and after 10 years of deeming it mine, seems to be doing a reno.  Dammit.

Offline skwirrlking

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06-06-2007, 03:27pm »
man....no ones gonna pay 6.5 million to live around there!

-- weren't they asking $9mm at one point? always thought it was a publicity stunt.

Offline jcpeace

• Just Say Faux OP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06-06-2007, 03:19pm »
man....no ones gonna pay 6.5 million to live around there!

but MY dreamhouse, which is not in jersey city can be found here:

http://www.silohome.com

"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll murder you in your sleep." Frank Zappa (1965)

TheFang: Did you know they were made in chicken eggs! Oh no! Not chickens.

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06-06-2007, 03:06pm »

From the advert:THIS HOME IS FOR THOSE WITH THE MOST DISCERING TASTE & WISH NOT TO ONLY COLLECT ART BUT TO LIVE IN A WORK OF ART.

Still not the best nabe . . .

Offline glx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06-06-2007, 03:02pm »

I love the new "Absolutely No Shoes Allowed Inside" sign on the front of that place now.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06-06-2007, 02:51pm »

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
« Reply #9 on: 06-06-2007, 02:12pm »
I'd buy a huge house by Lincoln Park for the same price as a wee condo downtown then spend the rest of my freaking life stripping, sanding, painting and nailing shit together.  But hey, there is a HUGE park that is much better looked after than any of the city parks, not to mention some amazing houses.....
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline skwirrlking

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06-06-2007, 02:06pm »
On Pavonia NW corner at the west side of the park?
Hope you're a dog (poop) lover . . .

- was referring to the place on the NE corner on the north side.

and please expound on your your hopes for coprophilic bestiality...on second thoughts, maybe not.

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06-06-2007, 01:48pm »
The house on Mercer with the wrought iron glassed in room, the driveway, etc.

Or the house on Hamilton park with the green extension.

On Pavonia NW corner at the west side of the park?
Hope you're a dog (poop) lover . . .

One of the duplex 4 bedroom "penthouses" at the newest Newport (north) building - provided it comes with parking, dockage and a footbridge to the train station . . .

Offline jcpeace

• Just Say Faux OP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-06-2007, 01:44pm »
I love the place that I live in....but if i had another choice; definitely that little block of steuben street between grove pointe and columbus tower would be ideal..... O0 O0 >:D ::)
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll murder you in your sleep." Frank Zappa (1965)

TheFang: Did you know they were made in chicken eggs! Oh no! Not chickens.

Offline jennymayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-06-2007, 01:36pm »

The broker that sold me my condo lives in that place on Mercer.  Tough, right? 

I would stay in my VVP hood and buy a brownstone on the York side of the park and renovate it top to bottom.

Sigh...a girl can dream...

Offline skwirrlking

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-06-2007, 01:32pm »

+1 on those two places. altho a 25' wide brownstone in PH with a large yard and water view from roof deck would be top choice.

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
« Reply #3 on: 06-06-2007, 01:16pm »

Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-06-2007, 01:15pm »
I would be not too far from where I am right now, in one of those beautiful brownstones on Mercer or Wayne between Jersey and Varick.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
Where would you move (within JC)?
« Reply #1 on: 06-06-2007, 01:10pm »
Never mind the financials.

Let's say you have the means and you HAVE to move- within Jersey City- in the next three months.

Where would you move to?  Doesn't have to be a specific address, just a general area. 

*Clearly* if money was no object I would be in the Fire House on Mercer.
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Where would you move (within JC)?
« Reply #1 on: 06-06-2007, 01:10pm »