Author Topic: Holidays and City Hall  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
Re: Holidays and City Hall
« Reply #12 on: 12-12-2008, 04:35pm »
I am in favor of erecting (pun intended) a giant glass phallus where developers can insert money at will.  When said phallus is full, a gigantic fountain of glittery milk shoots into the sky and wherever it lands ground for a new tax-abated building can be broken.  This way it can be Xmas in Jersey City ALL YEAR ROUND!

Other than that, I concur with JCPeace in his first post on this subject.

fuckyourpatheticintellectuallyunevolvedreligionmas

eat shit, christians
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline TMN

• THE schnauzer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12-12-2008, 03:03pm »
Likes the glitzy, gaudy decorations. Every one of them.
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you.    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Darna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12-12-2008, 02:30pm »
I understand your point Fang, but since catering to every group is absurdly impossible, the only way to eliminate the possibility of offending anybody is to eliminate the decorations entirely.  I personally don't think that's a big deal, but it certainly is boring.

Exactly! Get rid of them all.

Besides, someone needs to pick fights around here now that all the rabblerousers are gone.

What about a Festivus display?  It might be offensive, but in a non-sectarian way.

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12-12-2008, 02:26pm »
I understand your point Fang, but since catering to every group is absurdly impossible, the only way to eliminate the possibility of offending anybody is to eliminate the decorations entirely.  I personally don't think that's a big deal, but it certainly is boring.

Exactly! Get rid of them all.

Besides, someone needs to pick fights around here now that all the rabblerousers are gone.
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12-12-2008, 12:43pm »
Groan. ::)

There's already a sculpture of a cathedral on City Hall property. 

Ah yes, but that is a sculpture of a building in Jersey City. Not just of a random cathedral. There is a huge difference.

Actually, the sculpture is of Oviedo Cathedral and is a gift from the city of Oviedo, Spain, one of Jersey City's many sister cities. ianmac47 has pics on his blog.

Here's another.  Ceremonial renaming of streets is a topic for another discussion, but that block of Mercer is also called "Oveido Way" if you notice the street sign.  (Incidentally, I titled this photo "church and state".)

Offline jcpeace

• Just Say Faux OP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12-12-2008, 12:11pm »
they need to replace them with a statue of santa pissing on deadheads...or  >:D i'm callin the ACLU  >:D
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll murder you in your sleep." Frank Zappa (1965)

TheFang: Did you know they were made in chicken eggs! Oh no! Not chickens.

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-12-2008, 12:08pm »

Ah yes, but that is a sculpture of a building in Jersey City. Not just of a random cathedral. There is a huge difference.

Actually, the sculpture is of Oviedo Cathedral and is a gift from the city of Oviedo, Spain, one of Jersey City's many sister cities. ianmac47 has pics on his blog.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12-12-2008, 11:55am »
I'm more concerned with keeping religion and the state separate in terms of actual governance than I am with some dioramas on a lawn.

ETA- I'm more concerned as well with some of the other things I've seen on that lawn, to wit- hypodermic needles, human waste matter, and broken glass, in no particular order.  Not to mention the homeless man who  occasionally sleeps on the stairwell on the north side of the building.
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Offline jcpeace

• Just Say Faux OP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-12-2008, 11:50am »
i think that it should all be set aflame in honor of my favorite holiday fuckyourpatheticintellectuallyunevolvedreligionmas

eat shit, christians

"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll murder you in your sleep." Frank Zappa (1965)

TheFang: Did you know they were made in chicken eggs! Oh no! Not chickens.

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-12-2008, 11:49am »

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-12-2008, 11:43am »

There's already a sculpture of a cathedral on City Hall property.  They're decorations, big deal.  The separation of church and state in terms of government practice is maintained.  Nobody is required to genuflect, keep the Sabbath holy, or pray to Mecca.

Why can't we have nice things?   ;D

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
Holidays and City Hall
« Reply #1 on: 12-12-2008, 11:18am »
Alright so now that all the sensitive Catholics are gone, I figured I could start this thread about something that has been bothering me all week.

The Nativity Scene and Menorah on the lawn of City Hall. And the Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah signs.

Here's what I think, I think they shouldn't be there at all, I appreciate the "Happy New Year" sign, but it seems like a bit of a cop-out. If you're gonna try to do the all religion/holiday thing then where is the "Happy Eid al Adha" or "Happy Winter Solstice" or "Happy Bodhi Day" or why no "Happy Diwali" sign last month? And worst of all no Flying Spaghetti Monster Nativity.

Or even for us atheisits, no "Happy Wednesday!" sign.

So yeah, church and state people.

What do you folks think of this?

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Holidays and City Hall
« Reply #1 on: 12-12-2008, 11:18am »