Linked Events

• KIWI Live at Port-O Lounge : 05-30-2014
  • Ladies and 80's Birthday Friday: 07-11-2014
  • Port-O 2014 FIFA World Cup Final: 07-13-2014
  • Open Format @ Port-O Lounge: 07-19-2014

Author Topic: Port-O Lounge  (Read 15267 times)

Offline dj_cavalierservente

• View Profile
Saturdays @ Port-O Lounge
« Reply #21 on: 07-14-2014, 10:51am »
This Saturday at Port-O lounge music by dj cavalier servente playing House/Classics/Hip Hop/Reggae.

Port-O lounge is located at 286 1st street Jersey City, NJ 07302

Patio will be open!

Offline CreativeEnablerJC

• View Profile
Ladies and 80's Birthday Friday
« Reply #20 on: 07-08-2014, 10:53pm »
Ladies and 80's Birthday Friday
July 11, 2014
11:00PM
Port-o Lounge
286 1st St, Jersey City, New Jersey 07302

The summer series is back this Friday. This Friday is Ladies and 80's at Porto Lounge. 80's, Funk and House music all night long.

George Soul and special guest DJ Megan will be playing a special birthday set for all of you.

https://www.facebook.com/events/651911214886414/

• View Profile
Port-O 2014 FIFA World Cup Final
« Reply #19 on: 07-08-2014, 10:53pm »
Port-O 2014 FIFA World Cup Final
July 13, 2014
3:00pm
Port-o Lounge
286 1st St, Jersey City, New Jersey 07302

Come watch the World Cup Finals at Port-O Lounge!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1436183393323516/

• View Profile
KIWI Live at Port-O Lounge
« Reply #18 on: 05-30-2014, 12:46pm »
Today, May 30, 2014 10:00pm
https://www.facebook.com/events/661822880531632/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming
Port-o Lounge 286 1st. Street, Jersey City, New Jersey 07302

Rooted in reggae rhythms and tropicália-inspired melodies, Jersey City-based Kiwi dynamically blends jazz flourishes and soulful grooves into a uniquely uplifting sound.

After nearly a decade of entertaining audiences around the Northeastern US and Brazil, Kiwi has hit their stride with a new lineup featuring some of the New York City area's finest soul and funk musicians. The band, which includes Alex Tea (vocals, guitar), Ramsey Norman (drums), Steve Capecci (bass), Ben Guadalupe (percussion), Dave Stolarz (keys), Barami Waspe (tenor sax), Curtis Taylor (trumpet), and Rob Edwards (trombone), has been invited to share the stage with veteran reggae/ska acts including the Pietasters, John Brown's Body and Groundation.

Much of Kiwi's pan-global approach to music is inspired by the time that primary songwriter Alex Tea spent in Brazil, beginning with a trip to the ocean-side city of Fortaleza over a decade ago. It was in Fortaleza that Tea first fell in love with the Portuguese language and capoeira, the Brazilian martial art that combines exuberant dancing and singing with powerful strikes and take-down maneuvers.

"What drew me into capoiera was the sense of community among everyone involved," says Tea. "Each roda [capoeira exhibition/match] had a live soundtrack that featured instruments, melodies, and cadences that I had never heard before, but seemed so familiar." It didn't take long for Tea, the grandson of a classical violinist, to incorporate Brazilian rhythms and instruments, as well as Portuguese lyrics, into Kiwi's music.

In addition to over a hundred club and dancehall performances, Kiwi has also performed at a variety of music festivals and community events in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Tennessee. They are also proud to be an active and vibrant presence in their home base, the Jersey City arts scene. In addition to a burgeoning American following, Kiwi also has a growing fanbase in Brazil, where they have embarked on two short tours.

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
Re: Port-O Lounge
« Reply #17 on: 01-20-2011, 11:48am »
It all depends on who it is answerable to. If you layer it so that they answer to the City Council there will be less chances of graft.

The committee should have no actual duties other then investigate the JC bureaucratic process (and having the authority to do so) and help small businesses navigate the permit 'blackhole'.

I know a small business in JC who had to wait for months to finally win approval for a permit for outdoor seating, THEN they had to track down 4 JC Department heads to get their signatures on said permit. This is just unacceptable!

track down?? HA these guys are easy to find, they spend most of their work day at the bar watching the horse races! I shouldn't even have to name the bars they can be found in...
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Online jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01-20-2011, 10:45am »
It all depends on who it is answerable to. If you layer it so that they answer to the City Council there will be less chances of graft.

The committee should have no actual duties other then investigate the JC bureaucratic process (and having the authority to do so) and help small businesses navigate the permit 'blackhole'.

I know a small business in JC who had to wait for months to finally win approval for a permit for outdoor seating, THEN they had to track down 4 JC Department heads to get their signatures on said permit. This is just unacceptable!

Don't know if I agree with you there. Every time we add a committee (oversight or not), we add to the process. There's already too many hands in the pot.

JC should smarten up, put together a 'small business council' to help these places during the permit process. I bet you if there were oversight the process would be cut down to 1/3 the time needed.

*Sigh*  Yet another business who suffered at the tyranny of the JC Buildings Department.  They might be the biggest obstacle to economic growth in this town.
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm… I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline bryhove

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01-20-2011, 09:55am »
Don't know if I agree with you there. Every time we add a committee (oversight or not), we add to the process. There's already too many hands in the pot.

JC should smarten up, put together a 'small business council' to help these places during the permit process. I bet you if there were oversight the process would be cut down to 1/3 the time needed.

*Sigh*  Yet another business who suffered at the tyranny of the JC Buildings Department.  They might be the biggest obstacle to economic growth in this town.

Online jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01-19-2011, 04:12pm »

TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm… I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01-19-2011, 04:10pm »
*Sigh*  Yet another business who suffered at the tyranny of the JC Buildings Department.  They might be ARE the biggest obstacle to economic growth in this town.
<---fixed it for ya :D
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
« Reply #12 on: 01-19-2011, 04:08pm »
*Sigh*  Yet another business who suffered at the tyranny of the JC Buildings Department.  They might be the biggest obstacle to economic growth in this town.
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
With its Kitchen Now Open, Port-o Lounge Pays Homage to Portugal’s Second-Largest City

By Amy Petriello • Jan 5th, 2011

Filipe Costa is bringing a little Newark flavor to Newark Avenue with Port-o Lounge, a tapas bar and lounge that pays homage to Porto, Portugal’s second-largest city.

“A lot of people are familiar with the Ironbound in Newark, which is very known for Portuguese food,” says Costa. “There are tons of them there; there’s nothing here.”

While Costa admits that’s not quite true, with York Street’s Lisbon Restaurant also serving up Portuguese dishes, he says “that’s not necessarily the same concept” as Port-o Lounge.

“Most Portuguese restaurants are Lisbon style. I’ve never seen anybody mention the second-biggest city in Portugal (Porto),” Costa says. “It’s easy to pronounce; it’s an interesting city. So I decided to name the restaurant after it.” 

The second city is poised to become the leading man on Jersey City’s dining scene after what was an initial slow start.

The bar opened last July with short hours, opening Thursdays through Saturdays from 8:30 pm to close. But as of early November, the kitchen is up and running, and hours have been extended to six days a week (Tuesday through Sunday), with the kitchen open from noon to 11pm, and the bar is open until 2 am.

The staggered opening can be chalked up to delays Costa encountered throughout the construction process.

“It took me three years to do something that I had planned to do in a year. That alone could kill a lot of businesses,” he says, citing the permit and inspection processes as particularly lengthy. So although Costa still had to finish constructing the kitchen and needed staff, he had a liquor license that had to be used in order to be renewed.

“I had to open after two years because I had the license and in order to renew it, I had to open regardless,” Costa says. “So I opened with three bottles of Jack Daniels and a few cases of beer. … I wasn’t ready to open, but I had to, because it had taken three years.” (more)

Offline PuddinPop

• View Profile
Re: Porto Lounge
« Reply #10 on: 08-02-2009, 11:33am »
What are they serving during the soft opening? Beer and mixed drinks?

... and there's no food or wine, but so far so good.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08-01-2009, 10:24am »
I understand soft opening and I'll try to get over there as it sounds like my kind of place but... no food or wine during the soft opening?

At a tapas joint?

???
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Porto Lounge
« Reply #8 on: 08-01-2009, 09:39am »
We went here last night after dinner. The lounge space is great –– something altogether new for this area, and the huge garden out back has some potential. Drinks were inexpensive and the staff was friendly. They're not fully up to speed yet so it's cash only and there's no food or wine, but so far so good. Porto makes Ox's closing a bit more bearable.

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
  • fuck a goddamn canadian rig count.
    • View Profile
Re: Coming soon - Port-O Lounge
« Reply #7 on: 07-31-2009, 11:39am »
I've walked past and peered inside the window.  Perhaps I should stop in for a glass of wine one of these days.
[06:11 PM]  fasteddie: jesus, this SB is deader than JC Vibe

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07-31-2009, 11:21am »
I've been there twice now, it's got a nice vibe inside, they did a great job remodeling it and the patio out back is HUGE.
as far as it being empty right now and all, they told us they were in a soft opening status for another 6 weeks or so at which point the kitchen will be opening and they will have a late night menu.
If you want to check it out, they're open from 8:30-close Thursday's- Sunday. 
Stop by and show some support, it would suck to lose another eatery after Ox.

Offline duke_of_earl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07-31-2009, 11:09am »
And when it is open, nobody's in there.  I feel bad for them. It took just as long for them to open as OX and Atomic Wings then nobody shows up.

I spotted the place coming back from Metropolis. 

I wonder if they encountered the $ame barriers for opening.  Also, they can't be hurting too bad if they are only open 4 nights a week after 8:30.  How does it look inside?  Cool?

duke

Offline PuddinPop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07-31-2009, 10:16am »
Are you sure they are open? If so, they have not done a good job of making it look that way...
The only sign I saw advertising the joint was the printed paper.

Spotted on the corner of Newark Avenue and First Street:

And when it is open, nobody's in there.  I feel bad for them. It took just as long for them to open as OX and Atomic Wings then nobody shows up.

Offline Hurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07-31-2009, 04:20am »

And when it is open, nobody's in there.  I feel bad for them. It took just as long for them to open as OX and Atomic Wings then nobody shows up.

Offline propscene

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07-31-2009, 12:42am »
That's excellent. I was wondering what they were going to do with all those decrepit port-o-johns I see in JC at abandoned work sites. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Port-O Lounge
« Reply #1 on: 07-30-2009, 09:43pm »

Photo ©MacabreJS
« Last Edit: 07-31-2009, 07:11pm by MCA »

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Port-O Lounge
« Reply #1 on: 07-30-2009, 09:43pm »