Author Topic: Gay marriage in NJ - Call to action  (Read 20588 times)

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
Re: Gay marriage losing support in NJ - Call to action
« Reply #22 on: 01-05-2010, 12:50am »
Good thing it's losing support.  Christie is coming right on time.  At least we wont have to worry about this nonsense for a few more years.

Good thing to show your self to be a homophobe right out of the gate. At least we won't have to worry about any nonsense with being nice to you as a new guy.
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
  • fuck a goddamn canadian rig count.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01-05-2010, 12:22am »
Good thing it's losing support.  Christie is coming right on time.  At least we wont have to worry about this nonsense for a few more years.

What exactly is it about equality and civil rights that disturbs you so much?
[06:11 PM]  fasteddie: jesus, this SB is deader than JC Vibe

Offline JimRockford

• He Hate Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01-04-2010, 11:56pm »

Yes, marriage can be "nonsense". It is really just a silly tradition we humans made up. It does have legal ramifications but that is really none of your business nor should concern anybody except the 2 people who have decided to join in a "union". So long as they are consenting adults then it really is a matter of privacy and civil rights. Telling certain adults that they can't marry is like telling certain people they can't celebrate Christmas or Arbor Day. If 2 adults of the same sex want to get married that is their business. When you consider that Americans only have a 50% success rate at marriage I say let same sex couples have a crack at it. Also, if you owned a catering company, a travel agency or had a hall to rent out something tells me you wouldn't be complaining.
"When I die I want to be buried in Jersey City so I can remain active in Hudson County politics". Brendan Byrne

Offline stepanstas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01-04-2010, 10:14pm »

Offline fasteddie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01-04-2010, 10:12am »
NJ gay marriage advocates plan Trenton rally to urge lawmakers' vote
By The Associated Press
January 04, 2010, 8:53AM

TRENTON — Gay rights advocates in New Jersey plan to rally in Trenton today as part of their last-chance effort to persuade lawmakers to legalize gay marriage.

The bill is stalled in both chambers of the state Legislature.

Members of Garden State Equality march past the State House in Trenton to support gay marriage legislation

A rally is scheduled today.
Advocates are calling on legislative leaders to allow lawmakers to vote on the issue, even if it doesn't look like it will pass.

Also on today, a group of clergy from several faiths sent a letter to top lawmakers saying that they support the measure.

Gov. Jon Corzine says he would sign it into law if lawmakers can get it to his desk. But he leaves office Jan. 19. Gov.-elect Chris Christie says he would veto a gay marriage law.

New Jersey has a civil unions law, which gives gay couples the benefits of marriage but not the title.

Offline Robocub

• View Profile
    • Robolux Studio
Bruce Springsteen Supports Gay Marriage! Go New Jersey!!!
« Reply #17 on: 12-09-2009, 12:12pm »
http://www.newnownext.com/2009/12/bruce-springsteen-supports-gay-marriage-go-new-jersey.html

A BRIEF STATEMENT FROM BRUCE
Like many of you who live in New Jersey, I've been following the progress of the marriage-equality legislation currently being considered in Trenton. I've long believed in and have always spoken out for the rights of same sex couples and fully agree with Governor Corzine when he writes that, "The marriage-equality issue should be recognized for what it truly is -- a civil rights issue that must be approved to assure that every citizen is treated equally under the law." I couldn't agree more with that statement and urge those who support equal treatment for our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters to let their voices be heard now.

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12-09-2009, 11:11am »
NY State Sen. Addabbo told WNYC earlier this week that the main reason he voted against the bill was because 74% of the correspondence he got from his constituents was against the bill, not because of how he felt about it. We can't let that happen here, especially with one of our Senators being on the undecided list.

from a friend...
Hey all - I am truly humbled by all of you who have continued to call and/or email our senators in support of marriage equality – we are coming down to the wire now!

Just FYI please do not think that because the Judiciary Committee voted to bring the marriage equality bill to a vote in the full Senate on Thursday that the bill is sure to pass. FAR FROM IT. There are too many senators who are still unsure of which way they will vote and I am afraid that the language of fear used by the opposition (not to mention all the monetary support the opposition has received from people who don’t even live in New Jersey) will in the end convince the undecided senators to vote against equality. PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN!

I ask, as a friend and a family member and a colleague, that you please call AND email each of these senators today, tomorrow (Wednesday) and Thursday. Yes - EACH DAY. It is so important that they all hear from supporters because even though we had 1,300 people at the State House on Monday, fear is still a powerful tool of our opponents. Please prove them wrong and tell them that New Jersey wants equality!

Anyway blah blah blah I am just getting started. If ANY of you can come to the State House on Thursday in support of equality (9:30 a.m. at the Garden State Equality office, 110 West State Street), even just to sign in and stay for a couple of hours, it would help to send a powerful message to those senators who still question whether New Jersey demands equality.

Please contact these senators each day (they still may not support equality. I put the towns they represent with the names so if you are a constituent please mention that when you call and email – your voice will mean more to them):

Senator Nicholas Sacco: (201) 295-0200
SenSacco@njleg.org
(East Newark, Fairview, Harrison, Jersey City, Kearney, North Bergen, Secaucus)

Senator Sean Kean: (732) 974-0400
SenSKean@njleg.org
(Allenhurst, Asbury Park, Atlantic Highlands, Avon-by-the-Sea, Belmar, Bradley Beach, Brielle, Deal, Eatontown, Highlands, Interlaken, Lake Como, Loch Arbour, Long Branch, Monmouth Beach, Neptune City, Neptune Township, Ocean (Monmouth), Rumson, Sea Bright, Sea Girt, Spring Lake, Spring Lake Heights, Wall, West Long Branch)

Senator Fred Madden: (856) 232-6700
SenMadden@njleg.org
(Clementon, Franklin, Glassboro, Gloucester Twp., Laurel Springs, Lindenwold, Monroe, Newfield, Pitman, Washington)

Senator Tom Kean: (908) 232-3673, (908) 918-0414
SenKean@njleg.org
(Berkeley Heights, Chatham Township, Cranford, Garwood, Harding, Long Hill, Madison, Millburn, Mountainside, New Providence, Roselle Park, Springfield (Union), Summit, Warren, Watchung, Westfield)

Senator Shirley Turner: (609) 530-3277
SenTurner@njleg.org
(Ewing, Hopewell, Hopewell Twp., Lawrence, Pennington, Princeton, Princeton Twp., Trenton)

When you call, please ask them to support marriage equality and give your reasons why you think it is important! Easy-peasey!

You may also wish to call and email your own senator as well as the following that do not support equality (especially if you are a constituent):

Find your own senator:
www.njleg.state.nj.us

Senator Sarlo - 201-804-8118
SenSarlo@njleg.org
(Carlstadt, E. Rutherford, Garfield, Lyndhurst, Moonachie, N. Arlington, Nutley, Passaic, Rutherford, Wallington, Wood-Ridge)

Senator Codey - 973-731-6770
SenCodey@njleg.org
(Current Senate President - Caldwell, Essex Fells, Fairfield, Livingston, Maplewood, Newark, North Caldwell, Orange, Roseland, South Orange, West Caldwell, West Orange)

Senator Sweeney - 856-251-9801
SenSweeney@njleg.org
(Next Senate President – Alloway, Bridgeton, Carneys Point, Clayton, Commercial, Deerfield, Downe, East Greenwich, Elk, Elmer, Eisinboro, Fairfield, Greenwich (Cumberland and Gloucester), Harrison (Glou.), Hopewell (Cumb.), Lawrence (Cumb.), Logan, Lower Alloways Creek, Mannington, Mantua, National Park, Oldmans, Paulsboro, Penns Grove, Pennsville, Pilesgrove, Pittsgrove, Quinton, Salem, Shiloh, South Harrison, Stow Creek, Swedesboro, Upper Deerfield, Upper Pittsgrove, Wenonah, West Deptford, Woodstown, Woolwich – WHEW!)

Senator Girgenti - 973-427-1229
SenGirgenti@njleg.org
(Glen Rock, Haledon, Hawthorne, North Haledon, Paterson, Prospect Park, Totowa)

Senator Beck - 732-933-1591
SenBeck@njleg.org
(Colts Neck, East Windsor, Englishtown, Fair Haven, Freehold, Freehold Township, Hightstown, Little Silver, Manalapan, Marlboro, Millstone (Monmouth), Oceanport, Red Bank, Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury Township, Tinton Falls)

Thanks so much for all you do! PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG!

Offline Robocub

• View Profile
    • Robolux Studio
« Reply #15 on: 12-09-2009, 10:11am »
I tried calling 6 of the undecided Senators this morning. All of their voicemail boxes were full. Here are their email addresses. Please email them. Ask them to support bill S-1967 - "Freedom of Religion and Marriage Equality" bill. Best to put something in the Subject header of your email for them to support bill S-1967 so they see that immediately.

Even if you don't live in their district, you can tell them that you live in NJ and their vote affects you and your family.

Sen. Fred Madden (Dem): senmadden@njleg.org (856) 232-6700

Sen. Sean Kean (Rep): senskean@njleg.org (732) 974-0400

Sen. Jennifer Beck (Rep): senbeck@njleg.org (732) 933-1591

Sen. Kip Bateman (Rep): senbateman@njleg.org (908) 526-3600

Sen. Tom Kean (Rep): mail@tomkean.com (908) 232-3673

Sen. Nick Sacco (Dem): sensacco@njleg.org (201) 295-0200

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12-09-2009, 12:04am »
The following State Senators are undecided. Call them now:

Nicholas Sacco - (201) 295-0200

Sen. Sacco represents Jersey City. Make sure he does so properly.

Also, make triple-sure when you call that you mention that you live in JC, it'll make a difference.

Offline pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12-08-2009, 11:32pm »
The general vote is this Thursday and 21 votes are needed to pass. The following State Senators are undecided. Call them now:

Christopher Bateman - (908) 526-3600
Jennifer Beck - (732) 933-1591
Sean Kean - (732) 974-0400
Thomas Kean, Jr. - (908) 232-3673
Fred Madden - (856) 232-6700
Shirley Turner - (609) 530-3277

Full (almost) text of Sen. Gill speech before she voted Yes.

“When we get to the issue of the constitution [...] History shows you could never have contemplated that marriage is between a man and a woman. If you look at the constitution, at its intent, the constitution intended that African-Americans would never be full participants.

“The legislators – the female ones – would not be here, because the constitution never intended for a woman to have the right to vote. And if we looked further at what the constitution intended – as if it is a stagnant body – then we know that disabled people would have no rights, under the equal protection clause, that they have access to public buildings.

“It is a civil rights issue – not because African-Americans own the copyright to civil rights, it is a civil rights issue in the analysis of the equal protection of the fourteenth amendment in the constitution. And maybe some in my community want to hold on to it, because it’s ours. Because our blood has been shed for the right to vote, and we jealously guard that as a re-affirmation of being American. And so we hold it, because no one can do civil rights and have civil rights better than we do. That’s emotional, but it is certainly not an analysis of the constitutional imperatives that face us. It’s a civil rights issue.

“Each side has an emotional story to tell. So I am not involved in that. But I am involved in how does this strip people of the equality under the law. And as an African-American and as a woman who would jealously guard all the civil rights struggles, this is a civil rights struggle on the magnitude and importance for the people who have died for the right to vote, for the people who have died to allow women the right to vote. And if I took a different stand, which would be a more traditional stand, that the community that identifies with me wants me to take, then I will have breached the tradition and the trust of the elders and the ancestors. And so I vote for the equality of marriage because I believe in the constitution.”

Scroll down and watch the two videos from Mondays hearing.
http://blog.nj.com/njv_mark_diionno/2009/12/nj_polls_show_that_most_reside.html

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12-08-2009, 03:37pm »
The general vote is this Thursday and 21 votes are needed to pass. The following State Senators are undecided. Call them now:

Christopher Bateman - (908) 526-3600
Jennifer Beck - (732) 933-1591
Sean Kean - (732) 974-0400
Thomas Kean, Jr. - (908) 232-3673
Fred Madden - (856) 232-6700
Shirley Turner - (609) 530-3277

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12-08-2009, 01:29am »
Make sure to thank Sen. Stack!
-------------------------------------------

N.J. Senate Judiciary Committee approves gay marriage bill

TRENTON -- Legislation to allow same-sex marriage in New Jersey cleared the Senate Judiciary Committee tonight after more than seven hours of emotional debate and testimony, setting the stage for a showdown in the full Senate.

Cheers erupted in the packed hearing room when the committee approved the bill 7 to 6.

The 10:06 p.m. vote came after more than 1,000 people flooded the Statehouse today in an effort to sway lawmakers’ opinions on one of the most controversial bills of the decade.

"The marriage equality movement in America starts again here, right here," Steven Goldstein, chair of the gay rights advocacy group Garden State Equality, said after the vote.

During the marathon hearing, opponents — including Orthodox Jews and Catholic officials — argued that same-sex marriage would damage religious freedom and is not needed because the state already permits civil unions. Supporters -- including civil rights leaders and legal experts -- said gay couples do not have equal rights without being allowed to marry.

"Like race, our sexuality isn’t a preference," said Julian Bond, chairman of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, who traveled from Washington, D.C., to testify. "It’s immutable, unchangeable and the Constitution protects us all from discrimination."

Josh Pruzanzsky, executive director of the Agudath of Israel of New Jersey, said same-sex marriage legislation "would endanger religious freedom, inhibit free speech and undermine the preferred status of marriage. It would convey a social message that is deeply offensive to many residents of the state of New Jersey and lead to further erosions in the traditional conception of family."

Senators added an amendment, proposed by Sen. Bill Baroni (R-Mercer), clarifying that clergy are not required to marry same-sex couples if it conflicts with their religious beliefs.

The hearing was sometimes heated and often emotional as teary-eyed families pleaded with the committee to approve same-sex marriage. One New Jersey mother asked lawmakers opposing the bill to tell her gay son that, "He can’t get married. He’s not good enough."

Hundreds of people signed up to speak, and the hearing room remained full throughout hours of testimony. People wanting to testify had to wait in another committee room, and some ordered pizza deliveries to the Statehouse tonight.

Tonight's narrow vote did not follow party lines. Republican Baroni voted yes along with six Democrats, while two Democrats, committee chair Paul Sarlo (D-Bergen) and vice chair John Girgenti (D-Passaic), both voted no.

Gov. Jon Corzine praised the committee for advancing the bill (S1967/A2978), saying same-sex marriage is a "civil rights issue that must be approved to assure that every citizen is treated equally under the law."

It’s unclear if the measure has enough support to pass the entire Senate, where it could reach the floor for a vote as early as Thursday.

"A lot of the advocates feel that they’re close and getting closer," said Senate President Richard Codey (D-Essex). "It’s certainly going to be a fairly close vote."

If it passes the Senate, the debate would be renewed in the Assembly. Assemblyman Reed Gusciora (D-Mercer), the Legislature’s first openly gay member, said he believes support from the Senate should give enough momentum for it to also pass the Assembly.

During the long — and largely civil — debate, senators and advocates prodded each other on religious issues and legal questions over whether civil unions provide same-sex couples equal rights. At one point, Sen. Loretta Weinberg (D-Bergen), a primary proponent of same-sex marriage, discussed the Torah with three rabbis.

Weinberg said lawmakers should not base their votes on religious texts. "We are a country governed by laws that ensure equality and fairness for every individual," she said.

Pat Branigan of the New Jersey Catholic Conference said it’s the state’s responsibility to enforce the civil union statute, enacted in 2006, and investigate whether any "unfounded allegations" of discrimination against gay couples are true. "The state of New Jersey should educate the public and should enforce state laws that provide protection for same sex" couples, Branigan said.

Same-sex marriage advocates have mounted a last-ditch effort before Gov.-elect Chris Christie, who opposes the measure, takes office. Sen. Gerald Cardinale (R-Bergen), who opposes the bill, said if Corzine signs it before leaving office, he "would be turning a deaf ear to the voice of the electorate."

If the measure is enacted, New Jersey would be the sixth state to allow gay marriage. Residents in 31 states, most recently Maine, have rejected same-sex marriage in referendum votes.

In 2006, the state Supreme Court ruled that committed same-sex couples deserve the same rights and obligations as married people. Lawmakers legalized civil unions later that year, and gay rights organizations continued their push for same-sex marriage.

The New Jersey State Bar Association, the state’s largest lawyers organization, has said civil unions were "second-class legal status" for gay couples.

By Mary Fuchs and Chris Megerian/Statehouse Bureau

Yes:

Sen. Bill Baroni (R-Mercer)
Sen. Nia H. Gill (D-Essex)
Sen. Raymond J. Lesniak (D-Union)
Sen. Nicholas P. Scutari (D-Union)
Sen. Bob Smith (D-Middlesex)
Sen. Brian P. Stack (D-Hudson)
Sen. Loretta Weinberg (D-Bergen)

No:

Sen. Paul Sarlo (D-Bergen), chairman
Sen. John A. Girgenti (D-Passaic) vice chair
Sen. Christopher Bateman (R-Somerset)
Sen. Jennifer Beck (R-Monmouth)
Sen. Gerald Cardinale (R-Bergen)
Sen. Joseph Kyrillos (R-Monmouth)

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12-07-2009, 10:05am »
Ah the good ol' "but it'll lead to incest and beastiality" argument. And the "gay people are so debauched have you ever seen a pride parade?" defense, obviously these people have never been to the Hoboken st. paddy's parade.

If Iowa (and 4 other states) can do it with out exploding into a ball of fire, then so can we.

Nevermind the whole Every Child Deserves a Mother and Father bullshit.

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12-07-2009, 09:24am »
If you don't think it's important to have your voice heard, maybe you will when you read what retards like George Berkin have to say about the issue.

Say no to gay marriage
By George Berkin
December 06, 2009, 1:28AM

The full court press is on: advocates of so-called “gay marriage,” sensing an opportunity in New Jersey’s lame duck governor, are pushing to require the rest of us to accept that radical social change.

But even a cursory examination of facts and logic shows just how destructive a “homosexual nuptials” law would be -- to marriage, families, religious liberty and even the public schools.

In fact, state-sanctioned gay “marriage” would destroy traditional marriage, in the same way that counterfeit money – if given state-sanction to freely circulate – would destroy traditional currency.

But the state legislature may not be deterred by common sense. A same-sex marriage bill will go to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday, and possibly to the full Senate on Thursday.

Gov. Jon Corzine, soundly defeated by voters last month, has said he would sign a same-sex marriage bill. Chris Christie, given a thumbs-up by those same voters, says he will not.

Interestingly, most of the so-called “arguments” for state-sanctioned gay nuptials are based on faulty reasoning, but they seem persuasive because they illegitimately try to ride the coattails of legitimate ideas.

One of the most popular, for example, is that gay marriage is just a matter of doing right by love.

Search many of the “news” articles on gay marriage, and there’s the happy couple declaring, “We’re in love.”

Perhaps they are – who can argue with love? But I love my dog, but no rational person hears wedding bells for me and Spot. Likewise, my sister. We love each other, but no one says that we should be allowed to marry.

Elsewhere, advocates of gay marriage maintain that no same-sex marriage is like no inter-racial marriage, merely a relic of times past. Richard Cohen, the syndicated columnist, for example, echoes this argument, dismissing opposition to same sex marriage as merely “nothing more than religious preference or, at bottom, a certain disgust entrenched in convention.”

But marriage as a union between a man and a woman has been a common understanding across religions, cultures and history, for thousands of years. Gay “marriage” is only supported in parts of post-modern Europe, and post-modern wannabes, where legislatures are tempted to re-define a longstanding institution in a pursuit of seeming progressive.

Like many of the false arguments put forth by gay marriage advocates, the argument that same sex marriage is just like inter-racial marriage seems true because it (falsely) taps into a true American value – racial equality.

But the biblical text (and other religious writings) has never prohibited inter-racial marriage, however much racists have misused the text in the past. (There may be a similar chagrin a century from now, when people discover that those of our era misused the biblical text in the opposite direction – to claim that it supports gay marriage. See my post here.)

Not surprisingly, many African-Americans resent the equating of same-sex and inter-racial marriage.

Likewise, the debate over whether a preference for homosexual behavior is a choice is a false issue, a moot point.

Even if homosexuals are “born that way,” so what? Each of us is born with his own personalized bent to violate legitimate standards. If you don’t believe that, visit any junior high school classroom, and see if the students don’t have a bent to break legitimate rules.

The rules you may desire to break may be different than mine, but that doesn’t mean the boundaries are illegitimate. But that’s what homosexuals are advocating – that the boundaries that forbid homosexual behavior should be thrown out, by legislative decree.

Pressing their claim, advocates of gay “marriage” like to claim that they want marriage just like everybody else.

But the facts are very different. So-called gay “marriage” makes a mockery of traditional marriage because “gay” sexual relations do not hold to the monogamous behavior that traditional marriages hold to, or strive for.

For example, researchers found that more than 40 percent of homosexuals said that they have had more than 500 sexual partners. Only 1 percent had fewer than four sexual partners.

Only one-quarter of those surveyed said they waited at least a week before having sexual relations with a partner.

All this is not news to those who practice a homosexual lifestyle. This information is also easily available to anyone who wants to do a quick Internet search of relevant research.

Furthermore, even if a homosexual “couple” is monogamous for a long time – at best a large assumption – their “union” is still based on an illegitimate sexual relationship. By contrast, traditional marriage models a sexually responsible lifestyle in a way that a gay “union” cannot.

In addition, traditional marriage, with its bringing together of a man and a woman – Mars and Venus complementing and balancing each other -- socializes children in a way that a one-dimensional homosexual relationship cannot.

All this is well known, but rarely (if ever) mentioned in the political discourse on gay marriage.

Instead, advocates of gay marriage are quick to point out that conservative politicians (or even pop stars) have not always successfully practiced monogamy. In a recent Star-Ledger op-ed piece, for example, Assemblyman Reed Gusciora points to the six brides of Rudy Giuliani and Newt Gingrich.

A charge of hypocrisy is always a fun bomb to throw, but it’s also a specious argument. The failure of some practitioners of marriage is not a reason to re-make the institution.

Advocates of so-called gay “marriage” also claim that up to 10 percent of the population is homosexual. Again, the facts are different. Researchers have found that only just over 2 percent of males in their 20s or 30s reported having had a homosexual experience.

Not surprisingly, polls across New Jersey show that gay marriage is a top concern of about two percent of those surveyed. As many have pointed out, elected officials would do better to address sky-high taxes.

In fact, so-called gay “marriage” would act as a powerful engine to undermine morals (and ethics) for a very simple reason: if homosexual relations are declared (by fiat) morally neutral, then nothing is morally wrong.

In other words, if it’s not wrong for men to have sex with other men – a prohibition instinctive in most people, and confirmed by biology -- then who is to say that anything is wrong. Sex with children? Why not? Sex with animals? Again, why not?

Likewise, so-called gay “marriage” would destroy religious freedom, because churches would not be allowed to act on traditional (or biblical) standards of sexual conduct.

For anyone who takes the biblical text seriously, homosexual behavior is a serious wrongdoing. In the Old Testament, the prohibition against homosexual behavior is sandwiched between the prohibitions against incest and sex with animals. Hardly a “cultural” norm, as some claim.

In the New Testament, homosexual behavior is described as rejecting any restraint on defiant willfulness. (Check out “gay pride” parades if you don’t think that’s an accurate description.)

State Sen. Ray Lesniak’s comment in Friday’s Star-Ledger that same-sex marriage will pass “God be willing” is sheer disrespect.

But if a gay marriage law goes into effect in New Jersey, pastors across the state could face legal sanctions if they preach the clear meaning of the text. The sanctions will likely be cast in terms of “anti-discrimination” laws. (It’s already done that way in Canada.)

Gay marriage advocates argue that churches would be exempted, but that’s a false assurance. Courts have been known to find almost anything they like in the law, and any special “exemption” granted to religious institutions can (and likely will) be declared unconstitutional. We may be sure that an enterprising gay marriage supporter will sue to encourage a court toward such a conclusion.

Public schools will not be exempt, either. A gay marriage law would damage confidence in public schools because those schools would be required to make no distinction between traditional and gay marriage. If there is no distinction in law, neither will there be in what is taught students.

And traditional marriage will be further weakened as it becomes just one of many varieties of marriage, from co-habiting to gay to … whatever. The marriage rate has dropped in Scandinavia, where gay marriage is the law.

And so, this week, as New Jersey legislators consider whether to declare gay “marriage” a fact, they would do well to consider the wisdom of regular citizens. Across the nation, voters have rejected gay marriage 31 times out of 31 – a perfect record.

It is only legislators who are often easily tempted into foolish actions, especially if those actions are cast in terms of being “progressive.” (Legislators in New York and Maine, however, recently showed common sense by rejecting gay marriage.)

It would be an act of extravagant hubris for the New Jersey legislature to re-define marriage, an institution that has existed across time and place as that of one man and one woman. As one Star-Ledger letter writer aptly wrote, officials may well pass a law declaring that salt is sugar – but it’s still salt.

© 2009 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12-06-2009, 11:51pm »
Also, if you don't want to call you can email.

SenSarlo@njleg.org
SenGirgenti@njleg.org
SenBaroni@njleg.org
SenBateman@njleg.org
SenBeck@njleg.org
SenCardinale@njleg.org
SenGill@njleg.org
SenKyrillos@njleg.org
SenLesniak@njleg.org
SenScutari@njleg.org
SenBSmith@njleg.org
SenStack@njleg.org
SenWeinberg@njleg.org
SenCodey@njleg.org
SenSweeney@njleg.org

Also, for those who may be free tomorrow during the day there'll be a rally in Trenton in front of the State House.

Offline glx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12-06-2009, 10:17pm »
Let's further show NY how much better Jersey is and get this gay marriage legislation passed next week.

(and California for that matter...)

Small victories like the one in Washington DC are great, but getting NJ would be awesome.  Either way the vote goes I (and everyone else should) fully expect a legal battle afterward. 

Offline pinky

• View Profile
Gay marriage losing support in NJ - Call to action
« Reply #6 on: 12-06-2009, 03:51am »

Here is the updated list of our State Senators for Jersey City

New Jersey Legislative District 31
State Senator Sandra Bolden Cunningham (D)
1738 Kennedy Boulevard
Jersey City, NJ 07305
Phone: (201) 451-5100

New Jersey Legislative District 32
State Senator Nicholas J. Sacco (D)
9060 Palisade Avenue
North Bergen, New Jersey 07047
Phone: (201) 295-0200

New Jersey Legislative District 33
State Senator Brian P. Stack (D)
3715 Palisades Ave, 3rd floor
Union City, NJ 07087
Phone: (201) 330-3233

I apologize, the Jersey City website gave me the wrong information. But no matter that, remember to reach out to them! The committee vote is Monday, and the general vote is scheduled for Thursday.

No need for apologizes, the way it changes these days can make your head spin. Here is a listing for all the entire state in case you want to spread the word for others outside of JC to call and  urge them to pass this bill.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/Roster.asp

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12-06-2009, 12:25am »

1738 Kennedy Boulevard
Jersey City, NJ 07305

9060 Palisade Avenue

Union City, NJ 07087

I apologize, the Jersey City website gave me the wrong information. But no matter that, remember to reach out to them! The committee vote is Monday, and the general vote is scheduled for Thursday.

Offline pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-05-2009, 03:24pm »
Let's further show NY how much better Jersey is and get this gay marriage legislation passed next week. Corzine has said he will sign it, Christie vows to veto, we gotta get this done in the lame duck.

Make sure you contact your state senators, all of them. Here's the ones just for JC:

State Senator Joseph V. Doria, Jr. (D)
      630 Avenue C
      Bayonne, NJ 07002
      Phone: (201) 858-6010

9060 Palisade Avenue
      (201) 295-0200

State Senator Bernard F. Kenny, Jr. (D)
      235 Hudson Street, Suite 1
      Hoboken, New Jersey 07030
      (201) 653-1466

N.J. gay marriage proposal will be considered by Senate next week
By Mary Fuchs/Statehouse Bureau
December 03, 2009, 1:00PM

TRENTON -- The New Jersey gay marriage proposal will be considered Monday by a Senate committee and could be posted for a full senate vote later in the week, state Sen. Ray Lesniak said today.

"On Monday in the Judiciary Committee, we're going to vote on marriage equality," Lesniak (D-Union) said, while making the announcement to a crowd of gay marriage supporters on the Statehouse steps today.

"On Thursday the full Senate is going to vote on marriage equality," said Lesniak, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee." And God be willing, we'll have 21 votes."

Democratic officials previously said they would not put the legislation to a vote unless they had the support needed to pass it.

Senate President Richard Codey later confirmed that the full Senate will vote on the measure on Thursday.

About 650 people came here today in support of the bill's passage. At least a dozen same-sex marriage opponents, mainly a group of Orthodox Jews from Lakewood, held a counter protest at the Statehouse.

Both houses of the Legislature must pass the bill it before it goes to the governor. Outgoing Gov. Jon Corzine has said he would sign it. Incoming Gov. Chris Christie says he would veto it.

Lawmakers in New York on Wednesday rejected a same-sex marriage bill.

New Jersey currently has a civil unions law.

1738 Kennedy Boulevard
Jersey City, NJ 07305

9060 Palisade Avenue

Union City, NJ 07087

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
  • fuck a goddamn canadian rig count.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-04-2009, 09:11pm »
right on.
[06:11 PM]  fasteddie: jesus, this SB is deader than JC Vibe

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-04-2009, 09:07pm »
Let's further show NY how much better Jersey is and get this gay marriage legislation passed next week. Corzine has said he will sign it, Christie vows to veto, we gotta get this done in the lame duck.

Make sure you contact your state senators, all of them. Here's the ones just for JC:

State Senator Joseph V. Doria, Jr. (D)
      630 Avenue C
      Bayonne, NJ 07002
      Phone: (201) 858-6010

9060 Palisade Avenue
      (201) 295-0200

State Senator Bernard F. Kenny, Jr. (D)
      235 Hudson Street, Suite 1
      Hoboken, New Jersey 07030
      (201) 653-1466

N.J. gay marriage proposal will be considered by Senate next week
By Mary Fuchs/Statehouse Bureau
December 03, 2009, 1:00PM

TRENTON -- The New Jersey gay marriage proposal will be considered Monday by a Senate committee and could be posted for a full senate vote later in the week, state Sen. Ray Lesniak said today.

"On Monday in the Judiciary Committee, we're going to vote on marriage equality," Lesniak (D-Union) said, while making the announcement to a crowd of gay marriage supporters on the Statehouse steps today.

"On Thursday the full Senate is going to vote on marriage equality," said Lesniak, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee." And God be willing, we'll have 21 votes."

Democratic officials previously said they would not put the legislation to a vote unless they had the support needed to pass it.

Senate President Richard Codey later confirmed that the full Senate will vote on the measure on Thursday.

About 650 people came here today in support of the bill's passage. At least a dozen same-sex marriage opponents, mainly a group of Orthodox Jews from Lakewood, held a counter protest at the Statehouse.

Both houses of the Legislature must pass the bill it before it goes to the governor. Outgoing Gov. Jon Corzine has said he would sign it. Incoming Gov. Chris Christie says he would veto it.

Lawmakers in New York on Wednesday rejected a same-sex marriage bill.

New Jersey currently has a civil unions law.

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
Gay marriage in NJ - Call to action
« Reply #1 on: 11-05-2009, 11:51pm »
I would like to remind everyone that Christie has said that he will not sign a gay marriage bill. But the legislature is very close to passing one, and Corzine has said he will sign it whether or not he got re-elected, we must do what we can to make sure it gets passed before this January.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hbtXHihdNL4&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xcfcfcf&amp;hl=en&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hbtXHihdNL4&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xcfcfcf&amp;hl=en&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: 06-26-2015, 02:44pm by MCA™ »

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Gay marriage in NJ - Call to action
« Reply #1 on: 11-05-2009, 11:51pm »