Author Topic: Park & Sixth Comfort Food  (Read 35501 times)

Online jehu

• View Profile
Re: Park & Sixth Comfort Food
« Reply #41 on: 05-10-2012, 11:28am »
Granted the topic is Park & Sixth and Hurtle was off topic, but I do not find his remark to be racist in anyway.

If anything, I find it to be very typical of the stroller/dog-walking/yuppies who complain about any and all forms of litter in JC.

Not too racist a remark.  Did someone forget to take their medication?  Or did we forget that this thread is about Park & Sixth.
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm… I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline MlNNlE

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05-10-2012, 11:00am »
Stumbled into the dedication ceremony of Elihu Rivera Square

Considering that's what it takes for PACO to clean up the leaves/trash/discarded car parts on Second Street between Manila and Marin I say give Mr. Rivera a prize every week.

"Stumbled" did we have a little too much to drink?
Hey Hurtle, that's Dr. Rivera to you!

Offline soulman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05-10-2012, 09:30am »

Not too racist a remark.  Did someone forget to take their medication?  Or did we forget that this thread is about Park & Sixth.

Offline Hurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05-08-2012, 10:51pm »
Stumbled into the dedication ceremony of Elihu Rivera Square

Considering that's what it takes for PACO to clean up the leaves/trash/discarded car parts on Second Street between Manila and Marin I say give Mr. Rivera a prize every week.

Online CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 05-08-2012, 01:57pm »
Stumbled into the dedication ceremony of Elihu Rivera Square just past noon today after a quik walk between Christopher Street and WTC (dropped off some stuff in SohoBeCa), and the smell of the burgers and so made me HONGRY. So I ventured into a nearly full house.

Ordered the turkey burger as Nikki had just mentioned the dearth of same in the SB - the power of suggestion.  Opted for the brussels sprouts hash as I'd made poe-TAY-toes last night.  Also a pint of Yards pale.

The pint is in one of those cute  faux Mason jars, but arrived with 20% foam.  There's a reason British pubs use glasswear with volume markings.  I'm tired of 14 0z pints and cute 11.25 oz beer bottles.  Don't skimp on the pour, I'll not get a refill if I think it;s underpoured.  Filled to the brim? Youbetcha!

12 mins for the burger, beautiful bun, sauteed shrooms on the bottom, tomato coulis/confit on top, not too spicy at all, maybe my palate is burned out from having gracious neighbors from SW Asia who share food.  The sprouts were exactly as I would make them, trimmed, split in half, steamed, then grilleded, maybe a bit heavy on the olive oil.  Also well seasoned without being over-powered.

I checked in on 4Square to receive a 20% off on first visit - but no instructions how to redeem.  If they made it easier I might have applied it, but for $3.20, well, my pride is worth a bit more than that.  With tax $17.12, I put in on a debit card and left a fin for the pleasant server who told me, as I explained why I passed on a 2nd pint,  "I love a man who drinks a beer before a workout."  That's how professionals operate.

Overall, good value, great food, nice atmosphere. :2thumbs:

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The JCI has the scoop.

Park & Sixth Continues Transition From Deli to Restuarant with Addition of Liquor License
By Jon Whiten • Feb 7th, 2012

The popular Downtown eatery Park & Sixth now has a liquor and package goods license, according to owner Brian Dowling.

“Our libation offerings include an eclectic mix of bottled American craft beers and two rotating drafts on tap, an affordable list of wines by the bottle and glass (all about 8 bucks,) and a ‘Concoctions’ menu featuring two homemade Bloody Mary’s, one of which called the ‘Wasabi Mary’ boasts freshly ground ginger, soy sauce and wasabi root infused vodka,” Dowling writes on Facebook.

Park & Sixth opened at 364 Grove Street in Jersey City in late 2010 as the second outpost of the popular Hoboken sandwich shop. Since then, Dowling has closed down the Hoboken location and shifted the establishment’s focus from being what Dowling calls “essentially a deli” to a full-service restaurant. The liquor license is a crucial ingredient to completing that transition. (Read more)

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11-14-2011, 06:58pm »
a friend was there Saturday afternoon and I'm happy to report back that they now have beer!  :pint:

When I saw you'd posted here, I assumed there was another bacon shortage.
I hear they even have some decent beer!
[02:35 PM] jehu: and the only people on here who gives good advice are few.

Online shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11-14-2011, 04:51pm »
a friend was there Saturday afternoon and I'm happy to report back that they now have beer!  :pint:
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline Toxic Spiderman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07-28-2011, 09:09pm »
Just went there last night.  I had one of the steak sandwiches, which was pretty good.  My ladyfriend's lamb burger, however, was fantastic.  Perfectly cooked, tons of juicy ground lamb, just enough tzatziki, great brioche, and the pita fries were a nice surprise (basically a pita sliced into strips and toasted just until it was crisp, then dusted with a few spices).  Also, the owner very nice, and even offered us a taste of some of the tuna salad they'd just made up.  That was good too: no mayo, just a little oil, pimento, and onion.  Plus, they deliver.
              (@|       OGC
 ,,           ,)|_____________________________________
//\\8@8@8@8@8@8 / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ \
\\//8@8@8@8@8@8 \_____________________________________/
 ``           `)|
              (@|
  __      __  _____ __________.____    ________ __________________  
 /  \    /  \/  _  \\______   \    |   \_____  \\______   \______ \ 
 \   \/\/   /  /_\  \|       _/    |    /   |   \|       _/|    |  \
  \        /    |    \    |   \    |___/    |    \    |   \|    `   \
   \__/\  /\____|__  /____|_  /_______ \_______  /____|_  /_______  /

Offline Bad Circles

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07-07-2011, 11:18am »
I got the Powerhouse burger with gruyere the other night and it was really good.  The patty was substantial but not overwhelming and well-cooked (I like it rare).  It was served on a nice, flaky brioche with fries.  Very little grease.  Definitely one of the better burgers I've had recently.

I think the new counter is a good idea for the lunch crowd.  I'm sad that the menu is no longer on the wall behind the register, but if it eventually gets replaced by a tap list, I won't care.

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07-06-2011, 06:13pm »
Woo-hoo, Pat LaFrieda beef blends!  :2thumbs:

Offline Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07-06-2011, 05:49pm »
Or... Manila Bay?
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07-06-2011, 05:45pm »
So when do they change their name to Grove and First?
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
P6 has reopened and is awaiting a liquor license. :pint:

Park & Sixth, closed in Hoboken, celebrates reopening of Jersey City location with 20 percent discounts
Published: Wednesday, July 06, 2011, 4:24 PM
Adam Robb/For The Jersey Journal

Last week, the original Hoboken location of owner Brian Dowling's Park & Sixth Comfort Food closed its doors, weeks after its Grove Street spin-off shuttered for renovations. Yesterday, the Jersey City location reopened, with expanded seating, later hours and a bar now displacing its deli counter.

For the patience Dowling's loyal patrons have afforded him this last month, Park & Sixth will be holding a customer appreciation day tomorrow, offering 20 percent off all orders and purchases.

And after studying Tuesday's opening-day crowds' reactions, Dowling is confident there's still something for everyone on the new menu, which features a dozen signature sandwiches filled with Park & Sixth staples like the house roast beef and braised brisket, as well as an expanded burger menu featuring custom Pat LaFrieda blends at bargain prices, like a 1/2-pound short rib burger only $9.50.

"You can come in here and have a beer and a burger," Dowling said, of his near future plans for the space, a liquor license in the works, though ultimately he hopes to remain a restaurant and not a bar, staying open six nights a week until 11 p.m.

Once a license comes through, Dowling plans to expand the menu to include dinner entrees, and, in time, a Sunday brunch.

Then he expects to serve dishes like meatloaf with garlic mashed potatoes, steakhouse fare -- Dowling dry-aged beef himself in Park & Sixth's previous location -- and more luxe variations on the garlic shallot mac and cheese, the current alternative to the sandwiches and salads on the new menu.

"My mac and cheese is different; I'll do one with saffron and andouille sausage, I'll do one with crab meat," Dowling explained, elaborating on future specials, recognizing Jersey City is as competitive a market for mac and cheese as Hoboken is for fresh-made mozzarella.

"In Hoboken it's on every corner, it's a toughh mutz town, and we held our own," Dowling added, saying his homemade mozzarella, which he now has down to a science will still be readily available for sale even if its not on display. He previously sold 100 pounds a week in his Hoboken store and finds the neighborhood lacking for it.

So why with its high sales did the Hoboken location close shop?

Dowling sold the property at 534 Park Ave. because there was no opportunity to expand and the longevity of the brand took precedence over the address.

"It killed me to close the store, but I had seating here and not there, and I couldn't get seating there. I couldn't get a liquor license there because it was between two schools," Dowling said, adding he is however going to work to continue serving Hoboken, already offering local delivery.

"It may just take an extra 10 minutes."

Online jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07-01-2011, 05:59pm »
:nana: Go JC!!!!

Jersey City wins! Take that Hoboken!
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm… I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07-01-2011, 05:06pm »
Jersey City wins! Take that Hoboken!

Offline Bad Circles

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07-01-2011, 01:00pm »
They are reopening on July 5th, according to this Facebook event for "Customer Appreciation Day."

Looking forward to having them back.  I am sorry the owner had to choose one location over the other, but I appreciate his candor.

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07-01-2011, 10:52am »
So P6 will have outdoor space in the back when they reopen. Via Hobroken411:

Park & Sixth closes Hoboken, NJ location

A beautiful chapter comes to an end in Hoboken – as Park & Sixth Comfort Food closed permanently yesterday.

Owner Brian Dowling did this with great sadness “I was working 100 hours a week and running two stores by myself. I decided to concentrate on the Jersey City store because it has seating and a back yard court yard. It was just too difficult to juggle both. It is sad to let it go as it was very popular, but it was just one of those tough business decisions one must make. Thanks for all of your support!”

Online shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11-11-2010, 04:43pm »
Eli Manning sucks, they should rename the sandwich after someone Jersey City specific like Bob Hurley. just my 2 cents  ;D
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11-11-2010, 04:30pm »

Note to RB: that menu states that a half-sandwich feeds one and a whole sandwich feeds two, so the $7 to 9.50 price range for a half-sandwich from the Signature menu is OK in my book.

Fair enough. I have to say the sandwiches sound delicious. Mouth-watering.

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11-11-2010, 02:50pm »
Like gordonh, I couldn't decide which sandwich to get for lunch today so I started at the top with the "Park & 6th" (red wine braised beef brisket, mozz and gravy). It was delicious. Next on the list is the "Eli Manning" (house roast beef, caramelized onions, roasted garlic, creamy horseradish sauce). I also spoke with Brian the owner. Real nice guy.

Note to RB: that menu states that a half-sandwich feeds one and a whole sandwich feeds two, so the $7 to 9.50 price range for a half-sandwich from the Signature menu is OK in my book.

PS: they have WiFi.

Offline Bad Circles

• View Profile
Re: Park And Sixth
« Reply #20 on: 11-11-2010, 10:59am »
I went here last night about 10 minutes before they were closing.  The guys were super friendly and even let us eat at a table past their closing time.  I asked for a half order chicken sandwich and received what would easily be considered a whole sandwich anywhere else.  Bread was delicious, chicken was well-cooked and satisfying.  My girlfriend got a garden sandwich that she enjoyed quite a bit, although it looked pretty messy.  Got the two sandwiches, two sodas and a giant bag of rosemary chips for less than 20 bucks, which is dang reasonable for what you get.  I can't wait to try the beast sandwich, but I think I need to fast a couple days before hand. 

Very happy this place opened.  We were not disappointed.

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11-11-2010, 10:06am »
The sign out front since Tuesday has been saying 10% of all sandwiches this week while they "Iron-out-the-kinks".

Offline PuddinPop

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11-11-2010, 09:59am »
Just checked out the menu online and am psyched to see what sounds like really really good vegetarian sandwiches!
Eggplant burger! :yum: Garden sandwich! :yum:

Offline gordonh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11-10-2010, 07:50pm »
I stopped by on my way home from work today.  Their menu and sandwich combos are interesting!  So I started at the top and ordered The Park & Sixth, which is described as 'red wine braised brisket, fresh mozz, and crazy gravy'. I ordered the half order, which is supposed to feed one.  I took it home and opened it up and it was HUGE.  I figured I would eat half and save the rest, but it was pretty darn tasty and a finished the whole thing.  I can't wait to try the other stuff. 

The cheese case looks good.  I bought a 1/4lb of one of the cheddars and it is awesome. 

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

« Reply #17 on: 11-10-2010, 07:50pm »