Author Topic: Park & Sixth Comfort Food  (Read 38379 times)

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Jersey City restaurant looks to serve up something delicious with new, bigger space
By Steven Rodas | For The Jersey Journal
on December 09, 2014 at 12:34 PM, updated December 09, 2014 at 12:38 PM   

Jersey City chef and restaurateur Brian Dowling has come a long way since serving cold cut sandwiches and fresh mozzarella on the corner of Park Avenue and Sixth Street in Hoboken.

Dowling, who based the name of his restaurant on where he got his start in 2009, later moved to Jersey City and opened a "Gastropub" version of his franchise just last year.

This week, he will officially move his Washington Street (sic) restaurant to a new location at 279 Grove St. where he will expand the menu and fully take advantage of a space twice the size of his previous location.

"We've become quite popular, but I've found myself having to turn people away on busy nights because of seating capacity. The new restaurant is going to be somewhere between 90 to 100 seats, the other was only 40," said Dowling.

Dowling's newest restaurant will take the place of American-style food eatery The Merchant, which closed its doors in early November.

Read more

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
Re: Park & Sixth Comfort Food
« Reply #65 on: 11-05-2014, 08:53am »
Sigh.  I like the space on Grove whilst I hate the Gastropub.  I hope the Merchant isn't just Gastropub-lite

+1
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
« Reply #64 on: 11-04-2014, 08:48pm »
Sigh.  I like the space on Grove whilst I hate the Gastropub.  I hope the Merchant isn't just Gastropub-lite
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 11-04-2014, 02:10pm »
Park & Sixth owner just posted this on Fb:

We have certainly come a long way from the little deli on the corner of Park Avenue and Sixth Street in Hoboken. It's hard to believe five years have passed. I look back and laugh about the mistakes I made, the hours of work my staff and I logged, the lean years robbing from Peter to pay Paul, hoping checks wouldn't bounce...

Yes, we certainly have come a long way from that little deli with cool sandwiches and fresh mozzarella. We snagged a liquor license, switched the deli to a restaurant & bar, changed menus, introduced small plates at dinner, and (I hate to toot my own horn but here goes) received a stellar New York Times review along the way. We opened our second restaurant, Park & Sixth Gastropub, which just celebrated its first birthday. In the midst of all this, we have witnessed downtown Jersey City explode with new buildings, shops and restaurants, as well as many more awesome people to occupy them. The landscape is continually shifting, and so are we. It's time to change again.

So, without further ado, I'm proud to announce we are moving locations from 364 Grove Street to 279 Grove street. Yesterday, we took over the space formerly known as The Merchant. Renovations should take about a month and we hope to open sometime early December. The original location will remain open until the new space is complete.

Stay tuned for more information in the weeks to come. I have written a new sexy menu, but intend to keep most of the offerings our fans have grown to know and love. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Feel free to stop by either location, and we'll be happy to fill you all in on our future plans.

Thank you!

Love,
Chef B

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
« Reply #62 on: 09-28-2013, 03:03pm »
Soshin, at first I thought your sigline was what the Times said. I so wish it was. . . .
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
« Reply #61 on: 09-28-2013, 02:04pm »
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 08-30-2013, 04:56pm »
From their latest Fb post, it looks like P&6 are taking over the old York Street Tavern/Nicco's space on Washington & York to open a "burger bar". Good for them, and good for us.

Offline HippyWitch

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 01-10-2013, 12:32pm »
From their Facebook page:

Starting this upcoming Tuesday, we are launching "Wine Mussel Tuesdays" where all night we are offering All-You-Can-Eat Mussels for $10 and Half Priced Bottles of Wine.

Come in every Tuesday to enjoy an amazing variety of Mussels and Vino.

Starting 1/15.

PSSSHHHH I told you this in the shout box.. doubters lol lol lol, now wait for half the sandwiches to disappear  >:D ;D

did you look at the updated lunch menu?  most of the signature sandwiches are gone!  including the Bobby Hurley which I personally recommended they honor when they opened the JC location since hey an an Eli Manning ::)

When I overheard Brian telling the table next to us about the changes coming in January he seemed REALLY excited about it and focusing more on Dinner and the small plates.  :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline JCConfidential

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 01-10-2013, 12:06pm »
Oh, dear. Sad to see the sandwiches gone.

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 01-10-2013, 09:08am »

Starting this upcoming Tuesday, we are launching "Wine Mussel Tuesdays" where all night we are offering All-You-Can-Eat Mussels for $10 and Half Priced Bottles of Wine.

Starting 1/15.

PSSSHHHH I told you this in the shout box.. doubters lol lol lol, now wait for half the sandwiches to disappear  >:D ;D

did you look at the updated lunch menu?  most of the signature sandwiches are gone!  including the Bobby Hurley which I personally recommended they honor when they opened the JC location since hey an an Eli Manning ::)
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline HippyWitch

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 01-09-2013, 05:17pm »

Starting 1/15.

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 01-09-2013, 05:15pm »

Starting 1/15.

Offline moelissa

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 01-03-2013, 04:51pm »
I really only go for the brussels sprout hash. Yummm!!!
[08:02PM] MacabreJS: I HAVE COOTIES

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
« Reply #53 on: 12-30-2012, 11:13pm »
Sigh.
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Offline PuddinPop

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 12-30-2012, 06:22am »
I would believe it, MCA.
The last couple times I have been there, I have been greatly disappointed, as they were out of various items, the service was scattered and terrible, and last time we were there we walked out after ordering drinks, since the waitress took forever to return and only then informed us they were out of the sandwich I was ordering.

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 12-24-2012, 03:14pm »
Anyone else hear the rumor that come January, P6 is getting rid of half the sandwiches on the menu and focusing more on the small plates? There will even be an all-you-can-eat mussels night.

Offline Area Man

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 11-12-2012, 11:44am »
I haven't had The Beast in a few months.  I need to rectify that.  It's heck of a burger.   

Offline nikki

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 11-09-2012, 08:25am »
I agree with you about the size of the sandwich.  I often eat it over 2 meals.

My personal favorite is the Bobby Hurley sandwich.  I get it all the time. 

I'm planning on branching out and getting the Eli Manning sandwich next time I go.

Offline JCConfidential

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 11-09-2012, 06:15am »
We ate at Park & Sixth the Saturday afternoon before the hurricane. (Seems like forever ago now.) We had a friend from the UK visiting and I wanted to tick another name off my Jersey City restaurant list, so we waltzed over to Grove and ...

On the inside, Park & Sixth looks like a classic fast-food joint had a love child with your neighborhood bar. There is sort of a vintage/retro feel inside, with old LP covers -- that's vinyl records for you young folks -- all posted along one wall. And some old signs and junk. This is a super, ultra, no-pretensions place to eat -- our sandwiches arrived in a nest of paper in a plastic basket.

(The good news is that they have a license for beer and booze.)

Our party ordered:

* The Grove: "Italian" sandwich with sliced meats and cheeses on white bread.
* The Beast: 1/2 lb. burger with all of the trimmings, plus a runny egg cracked on top.
* The Powerhouse: 1/2 lb. burger with slightly less trimmings and no runny egg.

R. and the UK guest ordered fancy draft beers. I had several ultra-spicy Bloody Marys -- but we can probably fast-forward over that part.

My sandwich -- The Grove -- was good. Most impressive about it was the size. Second point: homemade mozzarella. It didn't come with fries, so I ordered some on the side. R. had The Beast and reported very well of it. Our UK guest ordered The Powerhouse. He was a bit spookily enthusiastic over the whole thing. He enjoyed the burger, the beer and the place maybe a little too much. Maybe the vintage/Americana feel of the place was impressive to him as a tourist.

Service was casual, friendly and actually quite efficient, given the rate that the Marys and pints came to the table.

Seems like a very fine place for a burger, a sandwich and a beer.

Offline PuddinPop

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 05-11-2012, 02:59pm »
PACO or Taco?!?
Now THAT's Racist!

Offline MlNNlE

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 05-10-2012, 05:43pm »
mLnnLy, I find your remark targeted, and nothing wrong with hurtle's.  The ethnicity was not an issue until you made it one.  Whether PACO is Hispanic, or Borinquen, Pinoy or Polski is irrelevant. I'm not gonna get in a flame war with a troll who drops the R-bomb so easy.  It's great to see the community energized around the celebration and recognition of a community leader. Hopefully the glow will last and we won't see the litter/abandoned junk come back for a while.

Rather than popping out of your mouse house  and claiming :racist1: , maybe you want to look at addressing the issue, instead of attacking the person who raised it? With UEZ funding threatened, it may be a challenge to get some $$ together for a biweekly community cleanup.  Maybe you and Suleiman can get together with the Harsimus Cove cleanup crew and put together a tiger team with a local leader to keep the area looking the way it does now?

And exactly what is the issue?
Exactly what does this have to do with Park & Sixth?
Who is the troll here?
What are you trying to stir up?
I'll pass on this dialogue, you are the one promoting a tangent with your distorted perceptions.

Offline Darna

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 05-10-2012, 02:54pm »
With all due respect, it WAS a targeted remark.  Aimed at a specific organization, populated by Hispanics, and at a block that is one border of a development occupied by Hispanics, and therefore a block that is frequented by Hispanics.  Hurtle is out of line with his/her comment.

Using that logic, any criticism aimed at any group would be considered discriminatory.  Hurtle has cause for the criticism that he has leveled at PACO, namely, that those blocks are a hot mess.  And Hurtle should know.  He actually goes out there and tries to clean up.

Offline jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05-10-2012, 12:36pm »
Targeted or not, no racist comment was made or implied.

With all due respect, it WAS a targeted remark.  Aimed at a specific organization, populated by Hispanics, and at a block that is one border of a development occupied by Hispanics, and therefore a block that is frequented by Hispanics.  Hurtle is out of line with his/her comment.
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Online CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05-10-2012, 12:28pm »
mLnnLy, I find your remark targeted, and nothing wrong with hurtle's.  The ethnicity was not an issue until you made it one.  Whether PACO is Hispanic, or Borinquen, Pinoy or Polski is irrelevant. I'm not gonna get in a flame war with a troll who drops the R-bomb so easy.  It's great to see the community energized around the celebration and recognition of a community leader. Hopefully the glow will last and we won't see the litter/abandoned junk come back for a while.

Rather than popping out of your mouse house  and claiming :racist1: , maybe you want to look at addressing the issue, instead of attacking the person who raised it? With UEZ funding threatened, it may be a challenge to get some $$ together for a biweekly community cleanup.  Maybe you and Suleiman can get together with the Harsimus Cove cleanup crew and put together a tiger team with a local leader to keep the area looking the way it does now?
« Last Edit: 05-10-2012, 04:10pm by CeeDub »

Offline MlNNlE

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05-10-2012, 11:49am »

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

« Reply #42 on: 05-10-2012, 11:49am »