Author Topic: Hudson Rock Beverages  (Read 5403 times)

Offline Joe Law Jr.

• View Profile
Re: Hudson Rock Beverages
« Reply #10 on: 08-11-2018, 11:37am »
Grew up at 39 Hopkins, and was best friends with Joseph and Larry Latka Jr., and my favorite flavors were the cream soda, birch beer, and the root beer. Saw the bottling a lot as a kid. Found a case of 32oz bottles in the shed out back at my mom's. One of my favorite stories in when Larry and I were taking empty bottles and turning them in for the nickel deposit at Thomas' candy store on Baldwin. After the second trip, Mr. Thomas called Larry Sr. and we got in a lot of trouble! Larry Jr. inherited the business, the popularity of Hudson Rock declined, and they became a distributor for the major brands of soda until Larry Jr.'s passing....

46StPaulsAve

« Reply #9 on: 12-07-2011, 09:14pm »
Hey, I remember the last days of Hudson Rock.  My family lived on St Pauls Ave and used to order from them all the time.  When I was really young (1990s), my great aunt Anna would walk with me around the corner and drop off her old soda cans at that big garage door right out in front.  I remember she used to ring the doorbell and a guy would throw the door open and greet her like friends.  I think they knew her well because she had been living around the corner for like 90 years!  Last name was Buccafusco and Dinardo.  Would be curious to see if some of your family elders might remember the family...Also, I've been looking for one of their bottles for years, but never came up with anything.  Got any extra for purchase, just lying around? :)  Would love to display one in honor of a great soda company and a great old school family business! 

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
« Reply #8 on: 02-04-2010, 07:37pm »
Thanks for the story Elg.  Back in the 70's (that's the 1970's not the 1870's Fasteddie) in the wee dark land of heather, whiskey, haggis and mutton dingling that I sprang forth from, there used to be a company called "Alpine Soft Drinks" that delivered soda to your house in converted milk carts.  Every Thursday he'd leave bottles of whatever you ordered on your doorstep and you'd have a nice bit glass of cola with your fry up.  It's no wonder the Scots lead the world in tooth decay, heart attacks and self depreciating humor.

I also remeber that you got 1 pence back from the delivery guy for every bottle you returned.  You could then take this 1 pence down to your local corner store and buy a bazooka joe gum from a Pakistani guy.  The gum had a little comic in it and if you collected enough wrappers you could send away for stuff like X-ray specs that would allow you to look through the bras of the laydeez.  Sadly, Alpine soft drinks is long gone, the x-ray specs never worked and the Pakistani guy probably wants to kill us all now.
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-04-2010, 11:43am »
FYI, the google image GrovePath posted AtS is NOT authentic.  

For some reason that doesn't shock me  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  <--------------- (I wish I could kick this smiley on the teeth)

:rofl:
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Offline hpdweller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02-04-2010, 11:40am »
FYI, the google image GrovePath posted AtS is NOT authentic.  

For some reason that doesn't shock me  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  <--------------- (I wish I could kick this smiley on the teeth)

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
  • fuck a goddamn canadian rig count.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02-04-2010, 11:17am »
FYI, the google image GrovePath posted AtS is NOT authentic.  There must have been another Hudson Rock Beverages somewhere.  But that is not any glass bottle from Hopkins Avenue, I can tell you that.

I'll try to go through my parents' basement and find some real examples.
[06:11 PM]  fasteddie: jesus, this SB is deader than JC Vibe

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02-04-2010, 12:39am »
Seriously, it was really nice to see that some people do recall Hudson Rock.  I have friends who grew up in Jersey City who had no idea it ever existed!

Terhune Avenue Fan

« Reply #3 on: 02-04-2010, 12:34am »
You're welcome! Hudson Rock was on Hopkins Avenue (35 IIRC) between Palisade Avenue and Baldwin Avenue.

Offline fasteddie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02-03-2010, 08:26pm »
You're the heir to the Hudson Rock soda fortune? You come from old soda money? Damn! I'll bet you sit around in a smoking jacket and wear a monocle all day.

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hudson Rock Beverages
« Reply #1 on: 02-03-2010, 07:33pm »
Wow.  So someone AtS posted something about Hudson Rock Beverages.  I was surprised to see this, since I know a lot of JC lifers and I've always been surprised how few people knew of Hudson Rock.

Hudson Rock was a soda business which was started by my Great Grandfather sometime in the '30s or 40s, and run by his four sons.  In the early days, they used to deliver the soda by horse and wagon. As the AtS poster correctly stated, it was located on Hopkins Avenue (between Palisade and Baldwin) in the Heights.   They made their own soda right there on Hopkins - probably around 10-15 flavors at any given time.  Cola, Root Beer, Orange, Club Soda, Step-Up (a 7up copy), Grape, and many many others.  Their soda came in glass bottles - 28oz is what I remember, and I am told there was a smaller size bottle too.   It was good stuff.  I think my family may have kept a few bottles (or at least empties) for posterity in their basement.  

Anyway, they continued as a business well into the 1990s, but at some point they stopped making their own soda, I guess because it just wasn't profitable anymore.  They continued on basically as a soda distribution business for a few years, carrying the big brands.  By 2000, I think the business had shut completely.

Anyway, thanks to the poster Hudson City and the other folks AtS for remembering Hudson Rock!
« Last Edit: 02-03-2010, 07:37pm by elgoodo »

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Hudson Rock Beverages
« Reply #1 on: 02-03-2010, 07:33pm »