Author Topic: Wires  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Binky

• View Profile
Re: Wires
« Reply #12 on: 02-06-2010, 02:13pm »
Thanks for the info FE.
Maybe its a good idea for me to run coax for the router after all.  I can crimp my own ends on it, too.  I can't do the ends on Cat5.
Maybe their hardware changed.  It looks like ethernet just plugs into the ONT in the picture.  Seems as though that would be the easiest thing for them.  What do I know?
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Online fasteddie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02-06-2010, 12:09pm »
I recently went through a fios installation. The diagram shows the yellow cat 5 cable feeding data directly to the router. I assumed this was how my installation would be done and I would have preferred it done that way. I had all necessary cable in place to do it that way but for some reason, the Verizon guys don't want to do it that way, they make a pained face as if you just called their mother a whore when you suggest the idea. Probably more work for them. I didn't feel like arguing so I let him run the data to the router via coax. It doesn't seem to make a difference in performance anyway. The coax can hit the router at any point before or after any split offs to various TVs. In my case, the house is prewired with cat5e to a central point where I placed the router to service 3 computers. We don't use WiFi so I unscrewed the antenna. They show Cat4 cable being used for voice in the drawing. I don't know when this drawing was done but I don't think you can even get that anymore, Cat3 is standard for voice but even crappy old untwisted quad phone wire will work. You just need to make sure your phone circuit is not backfeeding up the pole onto the public network. The installer will probably take care of that. One more thing. Verizon boasts something like 16,000 free titles on demand. I found out that this does NOT mean 16,000 free movies. Titles can mean music videos, TV clips, kids shows, whatever. I found maybe 50 or less actual free movies. It's nothing at all like the free on demand movies Comcast offers.

Offline Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-06-2010, 10:26am »
I just came across the picture thats worth a thousand words.
Of course it was not on Verizon's site.
I will share.

nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-05-2010, 04:53pm »
verizon doesn't do such a good job explaining this on their website, so it seems more complicated than it actually is.

That goes double for a lot of other things Verizon tries to explain on their website.

Sounds pretty simple, and because ITS DIGITAL! I probably won't degrade my signal by splitting it.
(My circuit diagram is more like the spokes of a wheel than a daisy chain.) Wow.

Muchos Gracias, JCP.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02-05-2010, 04:47pm »
Gotcha, jcp, I  totally mis-read that as the coax running into the computer.
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

AmbushBug

« Reply #7 on: 02-05-2010, 04:26pm »
Same with our FiOS: It goes:

Fiber-optic to the house, where it reaches the modem in our basement.

From there it's coax to the the WiFi router, and across the air to our computer.

[Plus the modem (not the router) splits to a standard 4-pin telephone line for our landline . . What can I say, I'm old fashioned.]

We don't have FiOS TV because we're happy with our DirecTV service, but I believe it splits off the FiOS modem, and not the router farther down the line.

Offline jcpeace

• Just Say Faux OP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02-05-2010, 04:18pm »
bd: the coax connects to the router, which then connects to my computer via ethernet.

binky: yep, my computer and tv are on different floors. so the coax from the ONT is split with a generic splitter (the install guy did this)
one split goes to the TV box, the other goes to the router downstairs. remarkably simple.

the real time consuming part of this is getting the Fios  line run from the utility pole to the ONT....the rest of it, which of course depends on pre existing wiring, is pretty easy. so, if have plenty of coax in your house, they'll just use it.

of course, your mileage may vary.
that said:  verizon doesn't do such a good job explaining this on their website, so it seems more complicated than it actually is.
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll murder you in your sleep." Frank Zappa (1965)

TheFang: Did you know they were made in chicken eggs! Oh no! Not chickens.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02-05-2010, 03:56pm »
JCP-

Your computer connects to this via coax?

Just curious.

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Offline Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02-05-2010, 03:54pm »
to answer your question: yes you can split the internet and tv in the same place.
if you have existing coax, there should be no need for cat 5 install

AAhh.  Do you mean that the TV and Router see the same signal? Both on Coax?
And that I can use a plain vanilla splitter?

You see my computer is in a different place than the TV and only has phone wire now.

Thanks, JCP

Offline jcpeace

• Just Say Faux OP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02-05-2010, 02:54pm »
I've just ordered FIOS, so for those who've gone before me, I could use some advice.
I have no intention of letting anyone else run wires in my house, so I would like to prepare as much as possible beforehand.
What cables do I need to run where?
I know there will be a large box that will split off the phone from the TV and Internet.  That, I intend to be in the basement.
Can I split the signal between computer and TV in the same place?
Ideally, I would like to run my TV through existing 75ohm cable, and from the same place, pull new ethernet cable (whatever that is called) to my router.  Will this be possible?
I need a wiring diagram.

they will generally use existing coax in your place if you have it.
good idea to get the ONT installed in your basement, that's what i did. just make sure that there is a power source for it.

to answer your question: yes you can split the internet and tv in the same place.

here's what they did in my place:
-ONT installed in basement and connected to existing coax running into my apartment.
-Coax split on top floor where tv is. hole drilled near window, coax run via exterior down 1 floor to my computer.
-coax connected to router on lower floor and connected to my computer via ethernet. router does wifi as well.

if you have existing coax, there should be no need for cat 5 install

"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll murder you in your sleep." Frank Zappa (1965)

TheFang: Did you know they were made in chicken eggs! Oh no! Not chickens.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02-05-2010, 02:19pm »
I dunno, I wish you luck, but I do know that ethernet cable in, around, and under my desk is CAT 6. For whatever that's worth to ya.

Offline Binky

• View Profile
Wires
« Reply #1 on: 02-05-2010, 02:17pm »
I've just ordered FIOS, so for those who've gone before me, I could use some advice.
I have no intention of letting anyone else run wires in my house, so I would like to prepare as much as possible beforehand.
What cables do I need to run where?
I know there will be a large box that will split off the phone from the TV and Internet.  That, I intend to be in the basement.
Can I split the signal between computer and TV in the same place?
Ideally, I would like to run my TV through existing 75ohm cable, and from the same place, pull new ethernet cable (whatever that is called) to my router.  Will this be possible?
I need a wiring diagram.

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Wires
« Reply #1 on: 02-05-2010, 02:17pm »