Author Topic: I hate moving...  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Mr_Grieves

• View Profile
Re: I hate moving...
« Reply #12 on: 10-26-2011, 10:18am »
Pay special attention to posts #2 and #12 in this thread.

I'm on pins and needles waiting for #12 since I enjoyed #2 so much.

I never did report back on Catlow, shame shame.  A+++.  Couldn't ask for better and for a great price.
Well just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10-26-2011, 09:55am »
The Village Voice just named Moishe's Best Moving Company - 2011.

Offline Mr_Grieves

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03-25-2010, 09:57am »
Thanks MCA.
Well just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03-25-2010, 09:54am »
Good luck with the move, Mr_Grieves.

Meanwhile, I need to make some decisions about TV.  I'm considering replacing my TV and my whole setup... connecting it to the web via my Mac and possibly only going with minimum service from the cable company.  I'm completely out of touch with this stuff... is there a recommended site or store I can walk into and pick someone's brain?

Check out these threads: Over the Air (OTA) TV and (probably less helpful) Verizon DSL v. FIOS v. Comcast.

Offline Mr_Grieves

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03-25-2010, 09:47am »
Emilio, thanks but I'd feel safer with pros.

I checked my detailed post on that OTHER  list from when I moved 3 years ago and due to severe brain damage, I got Catlow mixed up with Joanna's, a ridiculously priced company.  I called my old moving company from 3 years ago who I was pleased with - Alpha.  They've got a minimum charge of 4 hours or about $400, which would be fine with me.  I'll probably go with it if they give me a cap of that amount.  However, I'm also gonna call Catlow since lots of people speak so highly of them despite my unpleasant experience when they came to do an estimate from 3 years ago. 

Meanwhile, I need to make some decisions about TV.  I'm considering replacing my TV and my whole setup... connecting it to the web via my Mac and possibly only going with minimum service from the cable company.  I'm completely out of touch with this stuff... is there a recommended site or store I can walk into and pick someone's brain?

Offline Emilio_D.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03-25-2010, 09:26am »
The Friends of the Lifers Youth Corporation, a non-profit organization active in Jersey City for the last 18 years can help you with your move.
They work with at-risk youth and ex-offenders to help them get on their feet and turn their lives around. All work is supervised by one of the staff and their prices are very competitive.

http://www.friendsofthelifers.com/index.shtml
Tel: 201-938-1419

Offline pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03-24-2010, 09:47pm »
If I recall, Catlow costs about $2 bazillion; it'd probably be cheaper to buy new furniture.   So far it seems I've got 2 extremes, the bums who'll work for a 6 pack or the moving company for movie stars.  -))

They moved me for under 700.00 before tip, had 4 men and I did not have a small move. They even lent me all of the garment boxes (n/c)

Offline Mr_Grieves

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03-24-2010, 08:47pm »
If I recall, Catlow costs about $2 bazillion; it'd probably be cheaper to buy new furniture.   So far it seems I've got 2 extremes, the bums who'll work for a 6 pack or the moving company for movie stars.  -))

Offline pinky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03-24-2010, 08:41pm »
though I do look forward to being able to actually walk out of my apt. at night without looking over my shoulder every other second.

What's new in the way of movers?  I really don't have that much - living room and bedroom furniture being the major stuff.  And I'm going less than a mile away. However, I'm not doing this myself, I'm too old and lazy for that.

As for TV, I'm tempted to stay with DISH but wonder if I should consider something else.  There's been no word of FIOS coming to the area (that I know of) so I assume it's still well down the road. 

I'm also gonna need some help putting my home theater together and I'll probably upgrade some stuff at the same time.

Any recommendations appreciated!

Catlow in JC.  I have used them 3x in the past 15 years. I would not trust anyone else. I am a very picky pinky.

Offline fasteddie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03-24-2010, 08:17pm »
Pay special attention to posts #2 and #12 in this thread.

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03-24-2010, 07:56pm »
Way-ull, there have been a few "barn raising" moves in the past coupla years, I suppose if you could make a few dozen grilled cheeze sammidges and supply plenty o'post move libations the troops could rally . . .  Otherwise, consider renting a U-Haul stake truck or lift gate van and grabbing some Hombres from Paterson Plank & Summit, I think they call them trabajadores del dia, they won't drink as much but will cost you more $$.
Stay away from moving companies unless you have munney to burn, I know from this, boychik.  ;)

Offline Mr_Grieves

• View Profile
I hate moving...
« Reply #1 on: 03-24-2010, 07:42pm »
though I do look forward to being able to actually walk out of my apt. at night without looking over my shoulder every other second.

What's new in the way of movers?  I really don't have that much - living room and bedroom furniture being the major stuff.  And I'm going less than a mile away. However, I'm not doing this myself, I'm too old and lazy for that.

As for TV, I'm tempted to stay with DISH but wonder if I should consider something else.  There's been no word of FIOS coming to the area (that I know of) so I assume it's still well down the road. 

I'm also gonna need some help putting my home theater together and I'll probably upgrade some stuff at the same time.

Any recommendations appreciated!

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

I hate moving...
« Reply #1 on: 03-24-2010, 07:42pm »