Author Topic: The Merchant - CLOSED  (Read 8398 times)

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jersey City's The Merchant Has Shuttered, Reopening in December as Park & Sixth 3.0
By Adam Robb Tue., Nov. 4 2014 at 8:25 AM

In downtown Jersey City, expiring leases and expansion plans have lately made an impact along Grove Street's original restaurant row south of Newark Avenue. Hard Grove Cafe is currently relocating to a storefront on Newark Avenue's pedestrian plaza; the former Bar Majestic is now home to Razza, one of New Jersey's top-ranked pizzerias; and its neighbor, The Merchant, shuttered on Saturday night after 12 years of service. That last space is scheduled to reopen in early December as the third home of chef and restaurateur Brian Dowling's original Park & Sixth (364 Grove Street, Jersey City; 201-918-6072), the first version of which opened in 2009 at its titular Hoboken cross-street.

"Dave, the owner, moved to Australia, and his sister Ann-Marie was looking after the place. They were ready," Dowling says of the amicable transaction. "I didn't want any animosity, I don't want to lose their customers. It'll be a nice transition."

That transition means mostly aesthetic changes to the space at 279 Grove Street, where renovations began yesterday. Once he gets approval from the state for acquisition of The Merchant's liquor license (expected anytime between mid-November and mid-December), Dowling will close the 364 Grove restaurant, and focus on furnishing the new two-story address with pieces of his growing collection of classic American advertising, vintage telephones, and subway signs. When the doors open, even bigger changes will be underway.

Read more

Offline moelissa

• View Profile
Re: The Merchant
« Reply #15 on: 10-29-2014, 10:11am »
I thought Dave and Anne-Marie were from Ireland.  ???
[08:02PM] MacabreJS: I HAVE COOTIES

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10-27-2014, 12:54pm »
I know the owner -- or one of the owners -- is moving back to Australia. That might be the reason.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10-27-2014, 10:28am »
From The Merchant's Fb page:

TheMerchant NJ
October 25 at 1:55pm
TO ALL OF OUR GREAT CUSTOMERS AND FRIENDS,
AFTER 12 GREAT YEARS IN JERSEY CITY WE WILL CLOSE OUR DOORS ON SATURDAY NOVEMBER 1,2014.
WE THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR GREAT SUPPORT DURING THE YEARS.
PLEASE STOP BY DURING THE WEEK TO SAY GOODBYE...
WE WILL MISS ALL OF YOU,
ANNE-MARIE, DAVE, EDDIE, REBECCA, BRENI, DAVE C, TASHA, DJ, DANIEL, AND DIANE.

AmbushBug

« Reply #12 on: 06-24-2010, 12:05pm »
I like Merchant, because they have a good bar and they're showing all the Cup games.

That said, when it comes to food, "it wasn't all that bad" seems to be as good as they get. Seriously, they ought to use it as their slogan:

The Merchant Bar and Grill
"It wasn't all that bad!"
« Last Edit: 06-24-2010, 12:08pm by AmbushBug »

Offline porkchopsoda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06-22-2010, 02:29pm »
ms jcpeace and I had the worst lunch here on sunday. i don't even know where to begin. even if i had ambushbug's food review  talents, i could not do it justice.
picture a hideous bitch waitress, pinching a loaf that looked like a wilted salad and "grilled" shrimp that was deep fried for starters............i'm still not entirely sure what i was served but my best description would be "brown ugliness"

Last time I ate there was about a year ago for dinner and it wasn't all that bad. I ordered the tuna wrap thing and it was good. Had brunch a few times before that and it was ok.  

Maybe they changed staff since then and have been slacking in the kitchen big time.  :-\  

Offline jcpeace

• Just Say Faux OP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06-22-2010, 11:24am »
ms jcpeace and I had the worst lunch here on sunday. i don't even know where to begin. even if i had ambushbug's food review  talents, i could not do it justice.
picture a hideous bitch waitress, pinching a loaf that looked like a wilted salad and "grilled" shrimp that was deep fried for starters............i'm still not entirely sure what i was served but my best description would be "brown ugliness"
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll murder you in your sleep." Frank Zappa (1965)

TheFang: Did you know they were made in chicken eggs! Oh no! Not chickens.

Online shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05-01-2009, 11:48am »
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:44 PM
To: The Merchant
Subject: American Cancer Society fundraiser

Come eat for a great cause!

Please join us at our Relay For Life fundraiser! The Merchant will donate 20% of your dining bill to Relay for Life, the signature event of the American Cancer Society. Eat at The Merchant, mention the American Cancer Society, and they will automatically donate 20% of your check its that easy!

At The Merchant

279 Grove Street, Jersey City, NJ

Thursday, May 7, 2009, 11:30 am 11:00 pm.

Hope to see you there!

Relay For Life is an all-day walk to benefit the American Cancer Society. This year Relay For Life will be in Hoboken on Pier A on Saturday, May 16th from 11am 11pm. Please visit www.relayforlife.org/hobokennj for more information.

[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline missa

• faerie unicorn in perpetuam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05-15-2008, 05:53pm »
JJ interviews a Merchant bartender:

'I probably shouldn't say that as a bartender'

YOUR DRINK-ADDLED BRAIN MIGHT REMEMBER HER FROM: Rebecca got her first job bartending at Pub 199 in Mt. Arlington. "I was a waitress, then I started bartending," she says.

mmmm . . . . $12 lobsters for lunch.

OMG!  that is a field trip if i ever saw one. 
so much entertainment. Between the clientele and the decor.

if you haven't been there, you have to go at least once in your life...

then afterwards we can hit Cliff's :D
"How do you know that you hate children? Try sauteeing them with a little wine and garlic, and maybe they'll taste just fine."-- alb

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05-15-2008, 05:23pm »

YOUR DRINK-ADDLED BRAIN MIGHT REMEMBER HER FROM: Rebecca got her first job bartending at Pub 199 in Mt. Arlington. "I was a waitress, then I started bartending," she says.

mmmm . . . . $12 lobsters for lunch.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05-15-2008, 08:17am »

Thursday, May 15, 2008
By AMAECHI OKORO
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Alcohol and politics are inseparable in America. Millionaire presidential candidates go to bars, pretending that they're "regular" people. Politicians liquor donors up at fundraising events. And with they way the country is going, people have apparently been drunk in the voting booth. So it's fitting that The Merchant Bar, 279 Grove St., Jersey City, is situated across the street from City Hall. Now that we all have our tax stimulus rebated, let's take the president's advice and spend it at the Merchant - it'll sure as hell be cheaper than gas.

NAME: REBECCA FERRIER

PROVENANCE: Rebecca is originally from Morris County. She now resides in the Jersey City Heights. "I attended the School of Visual Arts in New York," she says. "Then I went to school at CUNY, the city college for an Anthropology B.A. degree."

Rebecca is a photographer. Her portraits hang from the bar's wall. She is also a well-traveled, experienced documentary photographer. She has traveled to Morocco, Istanbul, Indonesia, Peru, Cuba, Israel, France and many other destinations throughout the world.

"I feel like we live in a bubble too much in America," she says. "Traveling helps me. It opens my eyes."

FAVORITE DRINK TO MAKE: "I like to pour beer," she says, laughing. "I don't like to make drinks anymore. I probably shouldn't say that as a bartender." Honesty is a good trait in a bartender. And besides, Rebecca says she makes a good martini.

LEAST FAVORITE: "Mojitos," Rebecca says. "The last time I made one was like two weeks ago. But I'm very good at making them."

DEMOGRAPHICS: "We get local people. We get City Hall people, business and artistic types - young and old."

"We need more women. I just noticed some guys trying to look for women. It's kind of odd because Jersey City is supposed to be a top pick up place."

As a bartender, Rebecca has a unique opportunity to gauge the presidential elections. "Most people are voting for Obama," she says.

PLUG FOR THE BAR: "I love the grand sandwich," Rebecca says. "It's a chicken breast on seven grain bread with avocado, Jack cheese, salsa and peppers."

"The chicken Tikkamasala is one of our best. And we have a great Caesar salad."

Merchant's best drink is the Mango Sangria, Rebecca says. "It's basically a sangria with - actually, I don't think I want to give that away. It's our special secret mango sangria."

"We get a lot of friendly people here. We have good drink prices and a lot of great drink specialties."

PERKS:"Cash Money," Rebecca says. "I love the schedule and flexibility. I've made a lot of great friends through the years."

Offline jennymayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-30-2007, 07:35pm »
Wha?!?!?  Never heard of it.  Where is it?   ;D ;D ;D

Offline rome171

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-28-2007, 02:50pm »
I've had my birthday there a year ago. Owner set aside the upstairs loft area, and the drinks were nice and stiff.  I've been there a bunch of times for dinner and it is always good.  A little steep on price for a casual workday dinner, but worth it.

Offline NON

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07-14-2007, 01:13pm »
It's no secret that i am the resident shill for The Merchant on the interwebs, but i just wanted to chime in that if you're a fan of lamb, and they ever have the mustard seed encrusted lamb chops on the special menu when you're there, you MUST order it. Had it the other night. So fantastic.

And i still maintain that The Merchant is easily the most mixed/diverse crowd of any major bar downtown. Which i dig.

Offline Neeners

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07-14-2007, 01:01pm »
I've only been to the Merchant for meals a couple of times, but I've enjoyed the food.  I've been there more for drinks (shut up), and have to say that the Thursday margarita night is a big hit.  For it being an all night special, the margaritas appear to be regular size and strength... and they are delicious.

The staff have been very nice, as well.  There have been several times when I've been with a group that kept growing, and the staff were able to find chairs outdoors to accommodate us.  They've always been friendly and have never acted put out.

If I lived closer to The Merchant, it would probably be my neighborhood joint.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Merchant - CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: 07-14-2007, 12:00pm »
The Merchant Bar & Restaurant
279 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: 201-200-0202
Email: info@themerchantnj.com
Map it

Hours: MonThu 11:30am11pm, Fri 11:30am1am, Sat 11am1am, Sun 11am10pm