Author Topic: Satis Bistro  (Read 5155 times)

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The NYT (N.Y./Region section)'s Fran Schumer gives Satis her highest rating: Lessons Learned, and Put on a Plate. A Review of Satis, in Jersey City

Online Rabelais

• View Profile
Re: Satis Bistro
« Reply #17 on: 06-05-2012, 09:33am »
Satis has been reincarnated with a liquor license, complete with a wine bar.
I visited on Saturday and found a wine list with smart selections and reasonable prices. Of course, the food is as good as it's always been.

I'll be back soon.

[02:35 PM] jehu: and the only people on here who gives good advice are few.
[Today at 08:56 am] Darna: bang mi is the best sandwich ever

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06-04-2012, 03:22pm »
Siri needs some geography help, using the provided locations/distances, it appears that Malkovich is seated in an unusually high ceilinged room on Floor 7½ of the Mertin Flemmer Building, with its portal to beyond, triangulation puts him somewhere in a 10 block radius of Penn Station.

Has anyone :nerd: been since they unleashed their own wine list?

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06-04-2012, 02:35pm »
Nice publicity there, Satis.

Here's the full ad:

Apple - iPhone 4S - TV Ad - Joke

Offline glx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04-01-2012, 08:36pm »
That's a shame.  It's one of the things that differentiated them as far as I'm concerned.  With their prices where they are, adding booze will cause them to have to really step up their game to differentiate themselves from the Light Horse.

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03-30-2012, 04:20pm »
Posted on Satis' website today:

Offline satisbistro

• View Profile
Satis Bistro Now Open For Brunch Daily
« Reply #12 on: 09-12-2011, 01:06pm »
Hello!  Just wanted to let everyone in JC know that Satis Bistro is now open for BRUNCH DAILY.  Dinner hours remain the same, but our new fall menu begins 9/20.  Visit us at www.satisbistro.com.  Thank you for your continued support!  Best, Mike.

Offline PaulusHook1998

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06-05-2011, 11:48am »
Satis is indeed doing great since they opened, and the menu has been evolving with each seasons with addition of very creative and delicious main courses. I am glad to see the outside seating area full quite often throughout the week (now the weather has finally improved).

The service has been very good consistently as well, although one time I was there the food was delayed due to a mistake in the kitchen, even then the server proactively came and told us of the problem, apologized and comp'ed one of the entrees without even being asked for it. In every restaurant problems can occur, yet when the restaurant owns up it and makes a great effort to make it right you can't ask for anything more.. After that experience and the good food options I find myself going there more and more often.. Plus I think I have a soft spot for their Sundaes and Gelatos too  ;) 

----------

In regards to the corkage fee: In my experience I have never been charged a corkage fee (and I first dined there within 2 weeks of their opening), yet I read in various forums that supposedly when they first opened by default they added such a charge under "wine service"; they do indeed have a empty line for wine service on the bill regardless if you bring your wine or not, which to me looks like an effort to remind people to may be a little more generous with their tips if they bring their own wine, and as long as it is left there empty/optional I have no problem with ...

Also to be clear, as below post from CeeDub also implies: it is NOT lawful for any BYOB restaurant in state of NJ to charge such corkage fees (unless they are already a liquor license holder, i.e. they sell wine on premise). So if you ever encounter such as situation I would suggest you politely inform the proprietors of this fact, at the end they may not be informed and you may be saving them a lot of headache.

That said, A corkage fee is typically applied by a licensed restaurant for those diners who choose to bring their own wine.  Fees vary, generally being much higher for a wine that is offered on the establishment's list........

For a BYO to apply a corkage fee is over the top....

N.J.S.A. 2C:33-27

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03-08-2011, 03:22pm »
I'm hopeful Satis will develop a loyal following and be a successful community member.  And I'm all for the BYO concept, saves insurance, saves Dining $$.  Hellz, there are some fantastic restos in nearby Rutherford that are BYO, one even has a wine shop right behind!

That said, A corkage fee is typically applied by a licensed restaurant for those diners who choose to bring their own wine.  Fees vary, generally being much higher for a wine that is offered on the establishment's list.  Some restos have a special BYOM* night when they waive the fee entirely (but you best save some for the wine steward and/or chef)!

For a BYO to apply a corkage fee is over the top.  I'd be so upset I fear I might break more than $6 in stemware (even the fancy plastic kind at what's-that-place).

FWIW, I usually bring my own AhSo, but I've not yet gotten to the ill place of packing my own reedelz

* bring your own monster

N.J.S.A. 2C:33-27
« Last Edit: 03-08-2011, 03:31pm by CeeDub »

Offline mission.remission

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03-08-2011, 11:36am »
one of the best things going in JC food wise currently. have eaten there 3 times so far and everything has for the most part been up to snuff and beyond my expectations.  cork fee is a fairly common practice in BYOB places w the sort of service a place like SATIS provides. it gets a very enthusiastic thumbs up from me.  last friday wife & I had 2 apps, 2 entrees, 2 bottles of sparkling water, 1 coffee, 1 dessert... for under $80. not bad at all for the quality. my only complaint is the lack of cocktails but whatevs I'll just drink a bottle of red I suppose.

their plumb sorbet was awesome!  steamed clams w kale & pancetta awesome! pancetta wrapped pork tenderloin in a chick pea root veg stew AWESOME! winter veg tart AAAWWWEEESSSOOOMMMEEE!

lets eat JC!

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03-07-2011, 08:52am »
**A clarification on the BYOB policy: you can bring your own bottle (as we did) and pay nothing, or order from their "wine list" which will be delivered from Liberty Wine down the block. They'll charge you the store price + a $6 corkage fee.

it's one thing to have a "wine list" and call the local licensee to deliver to you, and you pay the delivery feller; it's another thing entirely if they buy the wine and then charge you.   and $6? seriously?

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03-07-2011, 08:46am »
A quick review from the WSJ.com: The Salumeria Awaits (with pics). 

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-10-2010, 12:05pm »
Will definitely go back. The menu was reminiscent of Ox, and even had one or two of the same dishes/desserts. The salumeria selection is also quite large, so you can pick and choose lots of things without having to order an entree, which we prefer.

**A clarification on the BYOB policy: you can bring your own bottle (as we did) and pay nothing, or order from their "wine list" which will be delivered from Liberty Wine down the block. They'll charge you the store price + a $6 corkage fee.
« Last Edit: 12-11-2010, 06:06pm by MCA »

Offline Darna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12-10-2010, 10:52am »
We went there for dinner last night and really liked it.  We ordered a few "small" plates and shared them, which worked out pretty well.  The portions were not insubstantial and we got to try a range of their dishes.   The clams and the mashed potatoes with chorizo and goat cheese were particularly good.  And, since we brought our own bottle of wine, the tab was super cheap.

The service was good too--attentive but not overwhelming.  Added bonus--Paul from Ox works there too.

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-07-2010, 12:53pm »
This place has soft-opened. Here's the scoop from the Independent:

Satis Brings Bistro Flair and European Flavors to Paulus Hook
By Amy Petriello • Dec 7th, 2010

The owners of Lucky 7 Tavern have teamed up to bring a new foodie haven to Paulus Hook. Satis, Latin for “enough” — as in, satisfied — will feature a butcher, a baker and … a gelato maker.

The bi-level space at 212 Washington Street was most recently Taste of Cin deli and, long before that, a meat market/grocery called The National.

“Our initial name was actually Butcher Block Cafe,” says Mike Garcia, one of Satis’ owners. “But based on feedback, [we decided] it was very long-winded, aggressive and violent.”

Garcia and Geza Gulas, his business partner, are keeping the history of the building alive through both the industrial chic decor — Edison light bulbs hang low over repurposed rough wood tables fashioned from the floorboards of a house on Montgomery Street — and the food: hocks of jamón serrano and logs of salami hang front and center, ready for deli orders and sandwiches.

In addition to a deli, Satis will feature a barista/cafe counter for morning coffee and pastries, a sit-down restaurant for lunch and dinner (and eventually brunch), and an adjoining dessert shop that will serve cupcakes, cake and up to 24 flavors of gelato. (full article and pics)

Offline PuddinPop

• View Profile
Re: Satis Bistro - Grand Opening December 9th
« Reply #3 on: 11-22-2010, 12:38pm »
Sounds similar to Parkside Bistro in Harsimus Cove. Are you affiliated?

Offline satisbistro

• View Profile
Satis Bistro - Grand Opening December 9th
« Reply #2 on: 11-22-2010, 12:19pm »
Hello,

I just wanted to let people know about a new restaurant opening soon in the Paulus Hook neighborhood.  Satis Bistro is located at 212 Washington Street at the corner of Washington and Sussex Streets.  The website isn't quite finished yet but should be up around December 6th or so (www.satisbistro.com).  The menu is modern European, and the restaurant has a very eclectic and casual feel.  In addition to the savory dishes, Satis will also serve gelato and pastries out of the dessert shoppe next door.  Satis will be open for dinner starting Dec 9 and will begin opening for lunch the following week.  Initially, Satis will NOT be open for dinner on Sunday or Monday.  Grand opening is Thursday, December 9th.. hope you come try us out!

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
Satis Bistro
« Reply #1 on: 09-19-2010, 11:18am »
New bistro opening up on the corner of Sussex and Washington, they look pretty close to opening, sign went up this week.
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Satis Bistro
« Reply #1 on: 09-19-2010, 11:18am »