Author Topic: Rumi Turkish Grill  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
Re: Rumi Turkish Grill
« Reply #7 on: 11-08-2012, 10:06am »

* Cacik (which they spell jajik for some reason): This is basically tzaziki. Their version is heavenly, thicker than a Greek tzaziki, with more cucumber, and perfect for spreading or dipping on pita.

Im not too familiar with its Ottoman cousin, but tzatziki would stick to the ceiling if its prepared correctly... and if you put it there.  It should also have an intense cucumber aroma and flavor. 

Offline JCConfidential

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-08-2012, 07:25am »
We live around the corner from Rumi Turkish Grill, so we thought we'd try it out a bit over a week ago (pre-hurricane) and ordered a delivery again the night before last.

This is a Turkish restaurant in an old commercial storefront on Sussex and Greene. The dining area is pleasant with maybe 12 tables and roomy enough that it's not a tight squeeze. My only complaint about the ambience is that the level of illumination is exceedingly bright. Maybe Turks like to eat under high-intensity lights. I don't know, but it's bright -- dazzling -- in there.

The menu is standard Turkish or Middle Eastern fare. Appetizers are hummus, cacik, ezme salatasi -- which they call "Spicy Vegetable Spread" -- baba ganoush, tabouli, lebne, etc., etc. Main courses include your standard kebabs of various meats -- rotisserie, cubes, ground, etc. There are also some more rustic Turkish specialties, like stuffed cabbage, vegetable casseroles, as well as some seafood.

We sat down mid-week and it was fairly busy, though all of the tables never filled up.

It's BYOB and there is a pretty good wine shop around the corner on Morris.

Here's what we've ordered:

* Spicy Vegetable Spread (ezme salatasi): Amazing salsa-like condiment for pita bread, made with chopped tomato, hot peppers, onions and herbs. I think this is a must order.
  * Cacik (which they spell jajik for some reason): This is basically tzaziki. Their version is heavenly, thicker than a Greek tzaziki, with more cucumber, and perfect for spreading or dipping on pita.
  * Sigara borek: Well, I was hoping for a flaky pastry type thing more like a Balkan burek, but this was a deep-fried tube of dough filled with cheese, a bit smaller in size than a small cigar. It was fine, but I'd rather save my appetite for some of the more interesting stuff on the menu next time.
  * Lamb kebabs: These were juicy and flavorful cubes of meat, perfectly cooked and served with rice, a roasted tomato and a long, hot green pepper.
  * Lamb Adana kebab: These are ground lamb with hot red peppers and other spices molded into a long strip and then roasted. Mine might have been slightly on the dry side this time, but the flavor was delicious -- nice and spicy. Also served with rice, a roasted tomato and pepper.
  * Pita: Appetizers come with soft, thick flatbreads.

Rumi Turkish Grill is a bit more expensive than other Middle Eastern places in town. (For example, Lamb Kebabs are $17.) But the food is quite good, the service when we dined in was fine, we had a good time and we'll be back.

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01-14-2011, 11:54am »
I gotta say, I don't think Groupon's marketing language is doing Rumi or any other customer any favors.

I really enjoy getting my right hand all sloppy, nothing better than spicy hummus, but poke someone in the eye?
« Last Edit: 01-14-2011, 12:03pm by CeeDub »

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01-14-2011, 11:46am »
Today's North Jersey Groupon:

$20 for $40 Worth of Turkish Cuisine at Rumi in Jersey City

Rumi Turkish Grill
60 Sussex St.
Jersey City, New Jersey 07302

Mediterranean cuisine is renowned for the way its rich ingredients inspire innovative food-fighting techniques. Skillfully execute the Kebab Eye Jab or the Hummus Humdinger with todays Groupon: for $20, you get $40 worth of Turkish dinner fare at Rumi in Jersey City. Open every day of the year, Rumi specializes in the authentic tastes of Turkey in a casual atmosphere. Acclimate mouths to the Middle Eastern menu with an appetizer of garlicky hummus ($5), tahini-tickled babaganoush ($5), or expertly rolled grape leaves ($6). Unruly pangs of hunger can be placated with a hearty entre, such as a gyro fresh from the rotisserie, a vegetarian-vindicating okra casserole, or mouthful of manti , delicate ground beef dumplings topped with garlic yogurt and paprika butter. Rumi also features a skewered bounty of 100% halal kebabs. Take advantage of Rumi's BYOB policy and bring in a brown-bagged bottle of wine or barrel of golden honey mead to enjoy over baklava ($4). Located in the Financial District, one block from the waterfront, Rumi is a convenient destination for postwork dinner or postswimming inoculations.

Offline marpar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-29-2010, 01:40pm »
It's open and the grill is really good and tasty. And the prices are moderate :)

Online jehu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-24-2010, 02:05pm »
Menu looks great!
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
Rumi Turkish Grill
« Reply #1 on: 10-24-2010, 11:52am »
It's open!

Walked by today and they were serving folks.

http://www.rumiturkishgrill.com

Rumi Turkish Grill
60 Sussex St.
201-332-1010

(the old kitchen cafe location)
« Last Edit: 10-24-2010, 03:19pm by MCA »
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Rumi Turkish Grill
« Reply #1 on: 10-24-2010, 11:52am »