Author Topic: Cameras to nab red-light runners  (Read 11224 times)

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
Re: Cameras to nab red-light runners
« Reply #16 on: 12-30-2011, 02:03pm »
Duke, that's the beauty of the scam, there's no investment, the private company puts it up, in some contracts the city gets as little as $0.50 per ticket.

In this case, the investment or buy in is our constitutional rights - to confront the accuser of our so-called crime, the right to pursue our lives without continual observation.  Welcome to the Nanny State - please surrender your adult autonomy at the door.

Blasphemer!  Your radical views have exposed you!  Everyone knows the Constitution is just a vestigial document outlining guidelines for the heathens of that era.  Modern government doesn't need such shackles.  I expect the wiredjc Progressive cohort to smite you in 3....2....

duke

calling Kinde, calling Kinde
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline duke_of_earl

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12-30-2011, 01:49pm »
Duke, that's the beauty of the scam, there's no investment, the private company puts it up, in some contracts the city gets as little as $0.50 per ticket.

In this case, the investment or buy in is our constitutional rights - to confront the accuser of our so-called crime, the right to pursue our lives without continual observation.  Welcome to the Nanny State - please surrender your adult autonomy at the door.

Blasphemer!  Your radical views have exposed you!  Everyone knows the Constitution is just a vestigial document outlining guidelines for the heathens of that era.  Modern government doesn't need such shackles.  I expect the wiredjc Progressive cohort to smite you in 3....2....

duke

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12-30-2011, 08:33am »

Offline nugnfutz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12-30-2011, 02:25am »
The videos prove that there are idiot drivers that run red lights and cause accidents. It proves that the idiots can be caught on camera. It also proves that red-light camera operators and cities can make money off these idiots. The videos don't prove that any intersections are any safer because drivers are ticketed. Quite the reverse - the cameras simply prove that despite the presence of the cameras and signs, some drivers continue to be idiots.

Offline duke_of_earl

• View Profile
An ATS spokeswoman said 11 people were killed in red-light running related collisions in New Jersey in 2009 and that the cameras “change driver behavior and help save lives.”

It may make a a bit of sense that changing driver behavior saves lives.  But I'd like a scientific study to back it up before putting money on the line.

duke

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12-27-2011, 02:49pm »
ATS released footage in Missouri 5 days ago as part of their ongoing PR campaign, and previously donated $1,000.00 to the campaign for Rep. Chas Levine who is 'credited' with bringing cameras to Nassau County.

Who benefits?

Why did Los Angeles remove their cameras - in April?

Stop Red Light Robbery
« Last Edit: 12-27-2011, 02:59pm by CeeDub »

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Red-light Running in New Jersey 2011.wmv

N.J. intersection crashes are posted on YouTube by red light camera system provider
Published: Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 12:01 PM  
Updated: Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 2:01 PM
By Mike Frassinelli/The Star-Ledger

STATEWIDE — A driver in Middlesex County slams the brakes and stops just inches from what appears to be the world’s calmest pedestrian. A car goes through a red light in Hudson County and is T-boned. A vehicle traveling at night in Gloucester County runs a red and gets clocked.

They were among 10 examples of New Jersey intersection crashes or near misses posted on YouTube by American Traffic Solutions, one of the nation’s leading providers of red light camera systems that capture images of cars traveling through intersections. Some of the action resembled the crash scenes in an action movie, but the damage was real and the scenes were played out on roads across New Jersey.

Two of the incidents were from Union Township, two from Deptford, two from Linden and one each were from East Brunswick, Monroe, Jersey City and Pohatcong.

“Each year more than 100,000 people are injured and hundreds are killed in red-light running related collisions,” read the script at the onset of the video. “The following videos are just a few examples of red-light running collisions and near misses from New Jersey intersections in 2011.” At the end of the 93-second video – among 81 videos from various states posted by ATS – the script reads: “Please, Stop on Red. The life you save may be your own.”

An ATS spokeswoman said 11 people were killed in red-light running related collisions in New Jersey in 2009 and that the cameras “change driver behavior and help save lives.”

But opponents of the cameras say the systems are seen more as a way for municipalities to recoup money than a means to reducing accidents. They also say that the cameras lead to more rear-end collisions from vehicles stopping abruptly at intersections.

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12-21-2011, 11:17am »
Generally speaking, I’d like to suggest a licensing procedure that actually requires drivers to prove a high degree of skill and competence, but I suppose that’s crazy talk.

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline duke_of_earl

• View Profile
“The intent of our road-safety program is to get drivers to obey traffic signals,” said Police Chief Thomas Comey. “The purpose of this program is to improve public safety and reduce collisions resulting from red-light violations.”

Therefore, if there is not a marked improvement in public safety or a reduction in collisions the cameras will be removed.

duke

Offline Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-21-2011, 06:44am »
It's a shame they can't ticket for the illegal turns there, as well.
WE ARE ALL STEPHEN!

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New red-light cameras set to be activated at Merseles and Montgomery streets in Jersey City
Published: Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 12:56 PM
Updated: Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 12:56 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Say, cheese!

Jersey City announced today that a third set of red-light cameras will begin a roughly month-long trial phase at Merseles and Montgomery streets starting at just after midnight tonight. Motorists who blow through the red light will not get tickets until midnight on Jan. 20.

The city this year has installed the cameras at Communipaw Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard, and most recently at Jersey Avenue and 18th Street. The city plans to install a total of 11 sets of the cameras, and expect them to net the city $7 million annually once they are all up and running, a city spokeswoman has said. The two sets of cameras that are already up and running have recorded over 16,000 violations since April, according to the city.

“The intent of our road-safety program is to get drivers to obey traffic signals,” said Police Chief Thomas Comey. “The purpose of this program is to improve public safety and reduce collisions resulting from red-light violations.”

Motorists who blow through a red light at Merseles and Montgomery will be issued a warning during the month-long trial period. Cameras installed at the intersections record video 24 hours a day, and take still photographs to record violations.

Offline nugnfutz

• View Profile

http://www.shortyellowlights.com/

Also the one on 18th and Jersey, the "Red Light Enforced" sign is almost totally hidden behind a post about 3 feet in front of it from the view of a driver heading south on Jersey Ave. The only letters I could make out were R I P O F F when I drove past.

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New red-light cameras in Jersey City responsible for 3,126 tickets since Oct. 1: official
Published: Thursday, December 01, 2011, 2:15 PM
Updated: Thursday, December 01, 2011, 2:26 PM
Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City expects to rake in $7 million a year from red light cameras gallery (7 photos)

JERSEY CITY — Since Jersey City’s second set of red-light cameras were activated at Jersey Avenue and 18th Street in October, the city has given out 3,126 tickets for violations caught by the cameras, a city official said.

The set of cameras, which catch motorists blowing through red lights or turning right on red without stopping, are part of a series of 11 cameras the city plans to install in upcoming months. The first set, at Communipaw Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard, were activated in March.

Some motorists who spoke to The Jersey Journal expressed astonishment that they received tickets for turning right onto 18th Street from Jersey Avenue. The intersection does not have a “no turn on red” restriction at that corner.

But city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill noted that motorists turning right on red are required to stop first. If drivers coast around the corner, they can be issued a ticket for failure to stop, Morrill said.

The city’s traffic-camera initiative is being implemented to increase safety, Morrill said. But it will also be a boon to the city’s coffers: the city expects to net $7 million annually once all 11 sets of cameras are installed.

Critics of red-light cameras contend they are purely a revenue generator for cash-strapped municipalities. Improved engineering at trouble intersections are a better way to decrease traffic accidents, they say.

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jersey City's new red-light cameras expected to make the city millions
Published: Monday, November 21, 2011, 3:02 AM
Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City has quietly installed a new set of cameras at Jersey Avenue and 18th Street that will catch motorists blowing through red lights, part of an initiative officials hope will net the city $7 million annually.

The latest cameras were installed in September and activated in October.

The city installed its first set of cameras in March at Communipaw Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard. Those cameras are responsible for about 1,300 moving-violation tickets a month, city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said.

Nine more intersections have been approved for the cameras, which will be installed in coming months, Morrill said.

Motorists who spoke to The Jersey Journal at Jersey Avenue and 18th Street had mixed or negative feelings about the cameras. Ian Bishop, 42, of Jersey City, said he doesn’t mind as long as they are strictly for safety reasons.

“But if it’s a way to make money for the city, I’m completely opposed to it,” Bishop said.

Dave Dittmar, 45, of Jersey City, is absolutely against the initiative. Dittmar, a glazier, drives “constantly” in the area in a company truck, and worries he may get a ticket when a co-worker may have been at the wheel.

“Basically, legal extortion,” he said of the cameras. “It’s just a way to bag you.”

A 2005 study by the Federal Highway Administration found that rear-end crashes increased 15 percent after red-light cameras were installed, while front-to-side crashes decreased 25 percent.

But Chad Dornsife, executive director of Best Highway Safety Practices Institute, a Portland-based nonprofit group, said any reported decrease in accidents is just a “red herring.” Infractions at red lights are evidence of engineering flaws in the traffic design that should be corrected, not monetized, Dornsife said.

Adding a half-second or one second to the duration of a yellow light is a better way to correct the problem, he said.

“Eighty percent of the citations would disappear in day one,” said Dornsife.

The cameras at Communipaw Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard are expected to bring in $500,000 by the end of the year, with portions of the revenue given to the county and the state, according to Morrill.

Though the cameras will prove to be a financial boon for the city, she said that is not their chief purpose.

“The primary reason for implementing this program is safety,” Morrill said.

The state approved the 11 intersections based on data regarding the number of motorists ticketed for speeding through red lights, she added.

JERSEY CITY RED-LIGHT CAMERA LOCATIONS

The City of Jersey City has received approval to place red-light cameras at the following intersections:

Columbus Drive and Jersey Avenue

Merseles and Montgomery streets

Routes 1&9/Route 440/Communipaw Avenue

Routes 1&9/Newark Avenue/Route 7

Routes 1&9 and Sip Avenue

Route 139 and Kennedy Boulevard

Kennedy Boulevard and Duncan Avenue

Kennedy Boulevard and Montgomery Street

Tonnelle and Newark avenues

Online MCA™

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cameras to nab red-light runners
« Reply #1 on: 03-05-2011, 02:35pm »
Cameras to nab red-light runners at Kennedy Boulevard and Communipaw Avenue
Published: Friday, March 04, 2011, 5:10 PM
Updated: Friday, March 04, 2011, 8:11 PM
Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Beware, motorists!

Jersey City has installed security cameras at the intersection of Kennedy Boulevard and Communipaw Avenue to catch drivers who speed through red lights. They are the first red-light cameras in the city.

Though the cameras went up on Thursday, there will be a 30-day "warning period" before fines will be issued. A motorist who runs a red light will be hit with an $85 fine.

"I think it is a good idea," said city resident Janice Piat as she exited the Walgreen’s at the intersection. "I’ve been hit a few times by people going through red lights, so it would really help."

Piat, 35, said she’s the kind of person who won’t go through a yellow light even if her passengers urge her to.

"My husband always says, ‘Go, go, go,’ but ... it’s not worth it," she said.

Arizona-based American Traffic Solutions Inc. was contracted by the city back in April to install the cameras. The city will incur no costs for the program, and it will split the revenue with the company, according to the resolution awarding the contract.

Sgt. Pat McCarthy said he couldn’t provide statistics on the number of accidents at the intersection of Kennedy and Communipaw. But American Traffic Solutions performed in-depth studies that show where the dangerous areas are, he said.

"It’s a very active intersection," McCarthy said.
« Last Edit: 12-20-2011, 01:49pm by MCA™ »

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Cameras to nab red-light runners
« Reply #1 on: 03-05-2011, 02:35pm »