Author Topic: Federal judge orders Grove St PATH station to be made handicapped-accessible  (Read 6837 times)

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Construction to begin on $4M Grove Street PATH station elevator
« Reply #15 on: 04-22-2015, 08:33am »

Construction to begin on $4M Grove Street PATH station elevator
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
on April 21, 2015 at 5:42 PM, updated April 21, 2015 at 5:55 PM

JERSEY CITY Construction is set to begin on a $4.04 million project to add an elevator to the Grove Street PATH station.

A federal judge in 2011 ordered the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the PATH system, to make the Downtown Jersey City station accessible to the disabled. The decision came as the result of a lawsuit filed against the bi-state agency by two nonprofits 10 years ago.

Construction on the elevator, to be located on the southern side of Columbus Drive just east of Grove Street, is expected to be completed by the summer of 2017, a Port Authority official said.

[]

Last week workers installed partition walls to allow them to construct the elevator. Most of the sidewalk on that side of Columbus Drive remains open.

Two nonprofit groups representing the disabled sued the Port Authority shortly after the bi-state agency constructed the Marin Boulevard entrance to the station in 2005. At the time, the plaintiffs said Port Authority officials had ignored their requests to make the station accessible to the disabled.

Read more

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
Does this explain at all why they didn't bother to just add an elevator when they redid the entrance? And had to be sued into it? They must've known in 2005 that they'd have to comply with ADA.

Because Port Authority. They don't do anything more than the bare minimum to get funding.

If I recall correctly, the entrance re-opening was paid for by developer money (in some sort of linked transaction) and the Port Authority did the job, taking the money and only re-opening the old entrance, with minimal modification.

I don't know why the entrance was closed in the first place. Probably because the stairs broke.
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
Does this explain at all why they didn't bother to just add an elevator when they redid the entrance? And had to be sued into it? They must've known in 2005 that they'd have to comply with ADA.
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Online Binky

• View Profile
It ought to be interesting to see what they come up with.  I don't believe there is clearance for a wheelchair around the sides of the stairways on the west end.  I would have thought that the easier place to do this would have been on the east end of the station. 
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline stephen

• View Profile
In a document filed Thursday, the Port Authority agreed to construct an elevator at the southwest entrance to the station and a passenger vertical platform lift on the west side of the station. The additions are to be completed within three years.

I was surprised to see this only announced publicly now, I found out about it in a meeting with Bob Cotter regarding MGM over a year ago.  There must have been a delay due to a signal failure.  :rofl:

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Port Authority settles suit over disabled access to Grove Street PATH station
By The Associated Press
on June 29, 2014 at 4:27 PM, updated June 29, 2014 at 5:29 PM

NEWARK The Port Authority and two advocacy groups have reached a settlement in a seven-year-old lawsuit over disabled access to the Grove Street PATH station.

The two groups, Heightened Independence and Progress, Inc., and the United Spinal Association, claimed the Port Authority's renovation of the station in Jersey City completed in 2005 violated federal law by not including an elevator for disabled individuals.

The Port Authority claimed in court filings that the statute of limitations had run out before the groups filed the lawsuit, but a judge disagreed.

In a document filed Thursday, the Port Authority agreed to construct an elevator at the southwest entrance to the station and a passenger vertical platform lift on the west side of the station. The additions are to be completed within three years.

Offline fasteddie

• View Profile
We prefer disabled, not handicapped. Some of you people are "mentally handicapped" but we think "old fogey" is more applicable to the word challenged from the more arcane talking horse stables and rabbit warrens of the Heights. :pint:
'

Wouldn't it be cheaper to pay the handicapped to just stay home? Isn't that where they belong anyway? Why do they have to go galavanting around  NYC?

Ahhh, take the gas pipe!

Offline DarkMoment

• View Profile
We prefer disabled, not handicapped. Some of you people are "mentally handicapped" but we think "old fogey" is more applicable to the word challenged from the more arcane talking horse stables and rabbit warrens of the Heights. :pint:
'

Wouldn't it be cheaper to pay the handicapped to just stay home? Isn't that where they belong anyway? Why do they have to go galavanting around  NYC?

Online Binky

• View Profile
They can't even get the escalators at Grove Street to work!! How the hell are they going to keep up with an elevator?!

I'm sure that contributed to the PA's original decision making.
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
Port Authority announces construction of Giant Catapult to Shoot Handicapped People into Manhattan
Published: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 2:31 PM
Spelling mistakes corrected: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 2:32 PM
Spelling mistakes corrected again: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 2:35 PM
Punctuation added: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 2:40 PM
By Missy T. Ake /The Jersey Journal
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline jehu

• View Profile
They can't even get the escalators at Grove Street to work!! How the hell are they going to keep up with an elevator?!
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline fasteddie

• View Profile

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
going to have to raise the fares to pay to retrofit Grove Path Station now
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline Woodsy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Federal judge orders Port Authority to make Grove Street PATH station handicapped-accessible
Updated: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 2:38 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

A federal judge has ordered the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to make the Grove Street PATH station entrance on Marin Boulevard and Christopher Columbus Drive handicapped-accessible.

Judge Stanley R. Chesler found that the Port Authority has "technically feasible" proposals to make the entrance compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and ordered it to do so. The multi-leveled station has no elevators, ramps or lifts, making it inaccessible for riders in wheelchairs.

The suit, brought by two nonprofits representing the disabled, stems from construction on the entrance that commenced in 2002.

"The court notes that the original impetus for this construction, increased ridership on the PATH system, is all the more reason to accommodate disabled and able-bodied persons alike," the judge wrote in his Sept. 6 opinion.

In a statement, Robert B. Stulberg, representing the plaintiffs, expressed gratitude that the court "hastened the day when the disabled will finally be able to use" the PATH station on Grove Street.

Port Authority spokesman Ron Marsico declined to comment, citing continued litigation.

Good.  It's about time.  I don't know why they didn't do this when the Grove PATH enterance was recently rebuilt.  I'm sure complying with the ADA would have been far cheaper then than it is gonig to be to retrofit it now.

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Federal judge orders Port Authority to make Grove Street PATH station handicapped-accessible
Updated: Thursday, September 08, 2011, 2:38 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

A federal judge has ordered the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to make the Grove Street PATH station entrance on Marin Boulevard and Christopher Columbus Drive handicapped-accessible.

Judge Stanley R. Chesler found that the Port Authority has "technically feasible" proposals to make the entrance compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and ordered it to do so. The multi-leveled station has no elevators, ramps or lifts, making it inaccessible for riders in wheelchairs.

The suit, brought by two nonprofits representing the disabled, stems from construction on the entrance that commenced in 2002.

"The court notes that the original impetus for this construction, increased ridership on the PATH system, is all the more reason to accommodate disabled and able-bodied persons alike," the judge wrote in his Sept. 6 opinion.

In a statement, Robert B. Stulberg, representing the plaintiffs, expressed gratitude that the court "hastened the day when the disabled will finally be able to use" the PATH station on Grove Street.

Port Authority spokesman Ron Marsico declined to comment, citing continued litigation.

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums