Author Topic: Presto's Restaurant - CLOSED  (Read 6642 times)

Online TheFang

• View Profile
Re: Presto's Restaurant
« Reply #22 on: 04-20-2018, 05:36pm »
So.... Presto's seems to be gone and is now renamed La Cote?
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline glx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12-23-2012, 04:16pm »
I used to be a huge fan of Presto's, but IMO it's gone downhill over the years.  Little things all add up to make a less-than-stellar experience over the past few times we've tried it.  With other great options in the neighborhood I'm less likely to pick it nowadays.

Shame.  It used to be fantastic.

Offline JCConfidential

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12-23-2012, 07:54am »
Presto's is still open and still serving classic Italian-American dishes to a neighborhood crowd.

Here are my thoughts:

Dining-room is smaller-ish, but not crowded, and can seat maybe 20 folks. Decor isn't too fancy, but more "modest" and "pleasant." This is a place that serves (non-alcoholic) drinks in plastic cups, after all. Service is good. We were here on a Saturday night and grandma, whom I guess owns the place, was on the premises making sure that everyone was on their best behavior.

I won't rave about the quality of the food -- it's just perfectly fine Italian-American style fare. A variety of pastas. Baked ziti. Lasagne. Veal piccata. Seafood. It lacks the glamor and panache of Casa Dante, but the food is in the same genre.

Last night I had the fettucine Alfredo, which was the most literal intepretation of this dish I had had in a while. My guest had meat tortellini with red sauce. Again, exactly as advertised.

Good place. I'd say this is suitable for a neighborhood pop-in or to take a budget-conscious crowd out for reasonably-priced eats. BYOB.

199 Warren St
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 433-6639
« Last Edit: 12-23-2012, 08:00am by JCConfidential »

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09-26-2008, 04:16pm »
We saw a lot of local people coming in and picking up pizza pies. I've been meaning to try their pizza - which is only available on weeknights - for years. Do the Paulus Hookers have the scoop on the best pizza in JC? Has anyone had their pizza.

We finally tried Presto's pizza last night. It was great. I can't believe we waited this long to try it. It was by far the best pizza I've had of all the places I've been to in Jersey City (admittedly, I haven't been to many and only one or two outside of downtown). It had the perfect cheese-to-sauce ratio, and a nice thin, crispy crust. What really made the pizza special was the sauce. It tasted like TOMATOES, not some overly salted and seasoned canned shit. Just how I like it. I believe it was only $11 for a large plain pie.

The shitty thing is that they don't deliver, the pizza is pick-up only and not available on Friday or Saturday. So it required a drive over there and then a couple of minutes in the oven (450 degrees) at home to get the crust crispy again. Still, it was a real treat so it was worth it.

Offline TMN

• THE schnauzer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09-13-2008, 01:25pm »
Well, since a certain-someone is still out of town, I'll pick up the slack n ask the question of RB re: Texan's group.

are they hot?

:rofl: I am the youngest of this crew, so any 'hot' that we are is probably due to 'hot flashes'! Secretly I do believe that our 83-year-old member was 'hot' in her youth! Some of her stories of her younger days in NYC do redden my ears! She's a character.
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you.    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09-13-2008, 01:09pm »
Well, since a certain-someone is still out of town, I'll pick up the slack n ask the question of RB re: Texan's group.

are they hot?

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09-12-2008, 10:16pm »
OMGosh! The food is davine! This is one of those places where you wish you could just lick the plate clean.

We had another remarkable meal at Presto's last night. They never fail to impress us. I will always stress that a meal at Presto's is kind of a long experience so don't build expectations of a quick meal. Get a couple of bottles of wine and enjoy yourself.

We saw a lot of local people coming in and picking up pizza pies. I've been meaning to try their pizza - which is only available on weeknights - for years. Do the Paulus Hookers have the scoop on the best pizza in JC? Has anyone had their pizza.

PS - It was very nice having a Texan sighting there last night. Such a nice group of ladies you have dinner with.

Offline TMN

• THE schnauzer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09-12-2008, 10:38am »
OMGosh! The food is davine! This is one of those places where you wish you could just lick the plate clean.
What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you.    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline e-eff

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03-28-2008, 04:15pm »
I think it's parties of 6 or more - I had a group dinner and we were able to make a reservation because there was about 10 of us.

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03-28-2008, 02:04pm »
Can someone (other than Kindelan) tell me if they take reservations?

TIA.

I believe they take reservations, but possibly only for parties of 2 or more. I would just give them a call and ask. One recommendation - get there early if you're going on a Friday or Saturday, like around 7 p.m., and you have a good shot at getting a table. You might be sitting right next to someone though. The place is tight. Still, this is our favorite place in JC so far. It's BYO so don't forget to splurge on a nice bottle of wine or two.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03-28-2008, 12:04pm »
Can someone (other than Kindelan) tell me if they take reservations?

TIA.
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Offline jc_insomniac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09-16-2007, 04:16pm »
That's why we never go there for a quick meal. When we go, we bring two bottles of wine, relax, spend some time and sit back and enjoy a great meal.

+1

There are some places that you just automatically pardon for their lack of friendly/efficient service, and this is one of them. Prestos' good food and unpretentious ambience definitely make up for its shortcomings.
« Last Edit: 09-16-2007, 04:20pm by jc_insomniac »

Offline jcpeace

• Just Say Faux OP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09-14-2007, 02:32pm »
good food
bad 'tude

ok ok...time to qualify my extremely drunken 3am post :-[

i like prestos a great deal  and think that their food is right up there with some of the better italian places that i've been to in the NY metro area. it's probably one of the first places that i ate at when i first moved here way back when.

my "tude" comment was really based on a minor thing, a year or two ago when me and ms. pee showed up on a friday nite and were turned away by a slightly rude host. nothing fatal......

speaking of eye-talian; me and ms. pee have been exploring carroll gardens lately and did a family dinner at a place called Fragole last month. it was
excellent! http://www.fragoleny.com

ok time fro me to go write "i will not drink irish whiskey with my neighbor on a thursday nite and post on wired again" 100 times on the blackboard :o
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll murder you in your sleep." Frank Zappa (1965)

TheFang: Did you know they were made in chicken eggs! Oh no! Not chickens.

Offline nikki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09-14-2007, 01:38pm »
I went last night with 3 others.  We ordered the Mushroom Caps and the Fried Calamari appetizers.  Both of which were very good.

For entrees we ordered, Cheese Ravioli, Tilapia Puttanesca, Eggplant Parmigiana, and Veal (I forget how it was prepared)

The food was really good.  Everyone enjoyed their meals.  The servers were pleasant, but the service was a bit slow as others have noted.  I think that it was because the place was packed.   There were 2 parties with an excess of 5 people there and only 2 servers.

My only complaint was that we didn't get our water until we were abut 75% through with our meal.

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09-14-2007, 12:39pm »
The food here is good, and yes service is a little slow, but I think at a BYOB, that is desireable because you get to chill enjoy your food and drinky drinky. They really allow you to linger with the cuisine and conversation, no pressure to clear the table so that the next diners can sit down. That's why on certain nights you best get there early or you will literally have to wait hours for a table.

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-14-2007, 12:01pm »
Yeah, that's more along the lines of my point.  They're just a little "slow" but not obnoxious or anything like that.

We've had our share of 2+ hour dinners there.

Yes, we certainly have. That's why we never go there for a quick meal. When we go, we bring two bottles of wine, relax, spend some time and sit back and enjoy a great meal.

Offline glx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-14-2007, 11:52am »
totally agree, Rory. Never had a bad meal there, and it's one of very few BYOB italian places around. I wouldn't say the service is bad, but i'd say it's a little clueless sometimes.

thanks for reminding me that Presto's exists. It always falls off our radar screen for some reason.

Yeah, that's more along the lines of my point.  They're just a little "slow" but not obnoxious or anything like that.

We've had our share of 2+ hour dinners there.

Offline NON

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-14-2007, 11:37am »
totally agree, Rory. Never had a bad meal there, and it's one of very few BYOB italian places around. I wouldn't say the service is bad, but i'd say it's a little clueless sometimes.

thanks for reminding me that Presto's exists. It always falls off our radar screen for some reason.

Yes this place has great food and we've never gotten attitude there. We went there this year for my birthday and also for my girlfriend's birthday and everything was great. The servers, although clearly stressed and probably a bit overworked, really worked hard to make sure we were happy.

The food is cooked to order and takes some time, but they warn you of this on the menu so if you don't want to wait a little while for really good food, then you probably shouldn't go.

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-14-2007, 08:31am »
Yes this place has great food and we've never gotten attitude there. We went there this year for my birthday and also for my girlfriend's birthday and everything was great. The servers, although clearly stressed and probably a bit overworked, really worked hard to make sure we were happy.

The food is cooked to order and takes some time, but they warn you of this on the menu so if you don't want to wait a little while for really good food, then you probably shouldn't go.

Offline glx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-14-2007, 05:21am »
good food
bad 'tude

I don't think it's bad tude so much as a lax attitude towards service, which is kind of a 180' from most Italian joints.  Overall it's one of the best restaurants in JC and is oft overlooked when talking about good Italian food around here.

Offline jcpeace

• Just Say Faux OP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-14-2007, 03:10am »
good food
bad 'tude

"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll murder you in your sleep." Frank Zappa (1965)

TheFang: Did you know they were made in chicken eggs! Oh no! Not chickens.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Presto's Restaurant - CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: 09-13-2007, 10:16pm »
Presto's Restaurant
199 Warren Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
201-433-6639
Map it
« Last Edit: 05-10-2018, 11:30am by MA »

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums