Author Topic: I forgot to pay my water bill and now I can't flush my toilet and the house is being taken away!!!!  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Binky

• View Profile
Maybe this article's explanation of a similar story in Newark sheds more light on what actually happened here.  It does present another question.  How much did the city needlessly spend to publish 32 pages of names in the Jersey Journal?
 >:(

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/12/newark_property_tax_ad_flub_co.html#incart_hbx
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline Binky

• View Profile
Evidently the rest of the city is just figuring this out.  I'd be surprised if this were the first time in 14 years that I've been 30 days late with my water bill.  Never had the tax collector collect for the JCMUA.  Who wants to bet that this is payback for the City cracking down on the MUA perks?  ;)

This is copied from another local site.

neverleft
***12/1/11 Print Jersey Journal ***JC delinquent tax listing ***
Home away from home

Today’s print Jersey Journal has a supplement from the City Tax Collector.

It lists all of the properties that owe some type of money…taxes, water/sewer, other.

It is 32 full NY Times style pages. I figured there are about 11,000 properties listed!!!!

I don’t see the list on the JC web site. (Duh!)

But you can use the below link to the JC Online Tax Inquiry..to look up your address...check it out to make sure you and your neighbors are paid up.

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/finance.aspx?id=1156

The Tax Sale is December 15th, 2011 9:00am

I don’t remember the list being that big!!!

Buy the JJ..see it DOES come in handy!
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline Binky

• View Profile
Oh, great.
Just as the rest of the country is figuring out that the sale of tax liens for small municipal bills is leading to abuse of foreclosures, Jersey City has added this "tool to it's toolbox."
I guess it makes sense to look and see who is in place to buy up those tax liens.  And what their connection is to the local government.
This is a change, and I would think that our City Council must have voted for this change.
Who recommended it and who voted for it?

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
Interestingly, this quarter our water bills are included as part of our tax statement.
And for the first time, when I was late paying my water bill by less than 14 days, I received a notice from city hall threatening me with the sale of a lien on my house.
The city then demanded payment of my quarterly MUA bill plus a hefty collection fee, even though the MUA had already been paid.  The MUA will credit that payment to my account.
So how did the tax office suddenly come to enforce, under threat of tax lien, collection of funds due an autonomous authority?

http://trueslant.com/huffpostfund/
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline Binky

• View Profile
Interestingly, this quarter our water bills are included as part of our tax statement.
And for the first time, when I was late paying my water bill by less than 14 days, I received a notice from city hall threatening me with the sale of a lien on my house.
The city then demanded payment of my quarterly MUA bill plus a hefty collection fee, even though the MUA had already been paid.  The MUA will credit that payment to my account.
So how did the tax office suddenly come to enforce, under threat of tax lien, collection of funds due an autonomous authority?

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums