Author Topic: Dirty Dealings at Incinerator Authority - Hey, It's Jersey City!  (Read 18223 times)

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Likely $77K pension, lifetime benefits for departing Jersey City agency chief
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
on August 18, 2015 at 1:42 PM, updated August 18, 2015 at 3:45 PM

JERSEY CITY — The Jersey City agency chief who retired today amidst a public corruption probe involving his brother and charges of racism aimed at City Hall will likely retire with an estimated $77,472 pension and lifetime benefits for him and his family.

Oren K. Dabney, whose sudden retirement is effective today, worked 33 years for the Jersey City Incinerator Authority, and was its executive director since 2001. His final salary was $152,324.

The lifetime health benefits for him and his dependents comes courtesy of the five-year contract JCIA's board of commissioners awarded Dabney in 2012, two years before his previous contract was set to expire. At the time, critics alleged the JCIA was awarding a new contract early in case Mayor Steve Fulop, then a councilman, was elected mayor the next year and decided to dissolve the autonomous agency. Read more

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
"Only Phil Flood voted against the measure, and he was rewarded with a round of applause."

Is this Phil-Son-of-Willie-Flood?  Or a completely unrelated Flood who never sold weed out of his mother's car?

I certainly hope it is an unrelated Flood because him still having a county job would be a sign that the JCIA is a patronage organization for Chico "people who know people"

The JCIA website has him listed as "Vice Chairman P. Terrell Flood" (http://www.jciaonline.org/board.php)

Willie's son is Phillip "I don't think it's nepotism...Wait, what's nepotism?" Flood II  (http://www.wiredjc.com/index.php/topic,936.0.html)

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
"Only Phil Flood voted against the measure, and he was rewarded with a round of applause."

Is this Phil-Son-of-Willie-Flood?  Or a completely unrelated Flood who never sold weed out of his mother's car?

I certainly hope it is an unrelated Flood because him still having a county job would be a sign that the JCIA is a patronage organization for Chico "people who know people"
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline stephen

• View Profile
Speaker's list:

1. Viola Richardson. :rofl:
2. Kabili Tayari :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
?. Lorenzo Richardson :palm:

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
JERSEY CITY — A special meeting of the Jersey City Incinerator Authority ended in pandemonium tonight as supporters of the agency's executive director made a last-ditch effort to save his job.

About two dozen residents, all supporters of the JCIA's black executive director, Oren K. Dabney, hurled accusations of racism at the JCIA's board of commissioners and at the absent Mayor Steve Fulop. Commissioners were meeting to set Dabney's retirement date as tomorrow and announce his temporary replacement, John Minella, the white executive director of the Hudson County Democratic Organization.

"Racism," resident Virginia Miller said to the commissioners as tonight's meeting ended. "Racism is alive and well."

continue reading...
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline speaknj

• View Profile
Speak NJ is a public access cable program that airs in Jersey City and Bayonne.  Mondays, Jersey City 10:30 PM and Tuesdays 9:00 PM, Channel 51. In Bayonne, channel 19, Tuesdays @ 9:00 PM

Offline fasteddie

• View Profile
The four men include Clayton Dabney, 55, of Wilkinson Avenue, the city agency's assistant executive director and brother of JCIA Executive Director Oren K. Dabney. Clayton Dabney has been charged with theft of service and conspiracy.
How did Clayton come to be his brother's assistant executive director? That's quite a coincidence that two brothers should occupy the top two spots in the organization.

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Men accused in waste-for-cash scheme in Jersey City identified
« Reply #19 on: 07-06-2015, 05:10pm »
Men accused in waste-for-cash scheme in Jersey City identified
on July 06, 2015 at 4:25 PM, updated July 06, 2015 at 5:00 PM

JERSEY CITY — City officials have identified the four men arrested Thursday and charged in what Mayor Steve Fulop has called a waste-for-cash scheme operating out of the Jersey City Incinerator Authority.

The four men include Clayton Dabney, 55, of Wilkinson Avenue, the city agency's assistant executive director and brother of JCIA Executive Director Oren K. Dabney. Clayton Dabney has been charged with theft of service and conspiracy.

"He adamantly denies the allegations," Dabney's attorney, Kathleen Mary Theurer, said today at his first court appearance on the charges. "Mr. Dabney is not guilty."

Dabney surrendered on Thursday and posted a $30,000 bail.

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said the other three arrested as part of the alleged scheme are Luis Felipe Berrios, 58, of Pearsall Avenue; Jessie Jackson, 55, of Bergen Avenue; and Patrick Williams, 36, Bergen Avenue. Berrios and Jackson were charged with theft of service, Williams with conspiracy, according to Morrill.

Fulop identified Clayton Dabney on Thursday, but city officials would not identify the other men until today. Jackson was scheduled to make his first court appearance on the charges this afternoon but his paperwork was not ready.

The mayor told The Jersey Journal last week that the scheme involved JCIA workers accepting cash in exchange for taking construction debris and co-mingling it with Jersey City's "legal and legitimate" trash. Read more

Offline OneOBall

• View Profile
But he wants to wait for the judicial process to play out before he weighs in on Chico? Why is he protecting a drunk driver with a no-show job?

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fulop alleges waste-for-cash scheme at Jersey City agency
« Reply #17 on: 07-02-2015, 03:05pm »
Fulop alleges waste-for-cash scheme at Jersey City agency
on July 02, 2015 at 1:13 PM, updated July 02, 2015 at 2:21 PM

JERSEY CITY — The arrests at the Jersey City Incinerator Authority today were the result of a nearly year-long city investigation into whether workers there used JCIA equipment for personal gain, according to Mayor Steve Fulop.

The workers would use agency trucks to "illegally" pick up construction debris and then co-mingle it with Jersey City's "legal and legitimate garbage" in exchange for cash, Fulop told The Jersey Journal this afternoon.

The alleged scheme, which led to three arrests at the autonomous agency's East Linden Avenue headquarters early this morning, may have gone almost to the top of the JCIA's hierarchy, according to Fulop.

Police are searching for Clayton Dabney — an assistant executive director, and the brother of JCIA Executive Director Oren Dabney — and intend to arrest him, the mayor said.

Fulop said the operation included surveillance and phone taps.

"We have made sure to follow up on every lead to root out corruption, and this is a great example of that," he said. "At the end of the day, corruption ends up being a tax on the residents because it makes government cost more money."

Payroll records indicate Clayton Dabney has worked at the JCIA since April 1982. His annual pay is $99,035. Read more

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
Wow. Dabney, Richardson, and Cunningham have sunk to new lows.
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Online Binky

• View Profile
Oh please don't let that be the end of it.
That contract should be nullified!
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
JCIA director declines pay raise amid controversy

The executive director of the Jersey City Incinerator Authority has announced that he is not going to accept the nearly 5 percent pay hike he’s been awarded in his new five-year contract.

Last month, the Board of Commissioners of the autonomous city agency approved the new contract for Oren K. Dabney that took effect Wednesday.

The new pact gives Dabney a base salary of $126,215, a 4.8 percent increase from his current pay. He also will be entitled to annual increases of up to 4 percent after the first year.

But Dabney has received flak from several City Council members for receiving a pay hike even though his agency has a nearly $7 million deficit.

And in light of discussions about consolidating the JCIA with the city’s Department of Public Works, these council members object to the provision of the contact that grants Dabney pay and benefits for five years whether or not the JCIA is in existence.

Dabney said he has no intention of accepting a raise until his other workers at the agency can also be given pay hikes.

“I should note that although my old contract allowed it, I have voluntarily not taken a raise in three years,” Dabney wrote in a letter to The Jersey Journal. “I will continue to not do so until we are able to afford raises to my dedicated union and non-union employees.”

In three 4-5 votes Wednesday night, the City Council shot down three resolutions involving the matter.

One resolution called for the resignation of the JCIA commissioners who approved Dabney’s new contract even though he still had two years to go on his old contract.

Another resolution called for the JCIA commissioners to void Dabney’s new contract.

A third resolution would have established a council subcommittee to investigate the approval of director contracts at all of the autonomous agencies.

Council members Steven Fulop, Nidia Lopez, David Donnelly and Rolando Lavarro voted in the minority in each case.

Reiterating comments she made Monday, Councilwoman Viola Richardson said Wednesday that opposition to Dabney’s pay increase was based on racism.

“My problem is that we sat around here and every other director got raises, benefits and whatever they wanted, and not a mumbling word was said until Oren Dabney got his,” Richardson said. “You can call it what you like. It’s a racist action.”

Dabney is African-American.

Fulop dismissed Richardson’s allegations of racism on Wednesday, saying the consolidation of the JCIA has been at the forefront of discussions about reducing city expenditures.

“When you look at the performance of the Incinerator Authority you could say it was underfunded, but at the end of the day you are given a budget of what to spend, and the director spends whatever he wants,” Fulop said. “That’s not called underfunding. That’s not the way a business works.”

[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
Fulop Letter: It's not racism to call him out
Published: Friday, August 03, 2012, 5:05 AM
The Jersey Journal

Yesterday, I read with interest Director Dabney's letter to the editor and his not so veiled insinuation of racism with regards to taxpayer concerns on his contract. It is easy for Dabney to play the "race card" with the expectation that people will run from a discussion; however, in this case, I think the facts speak for themselves.

The concern on the Dabney contract is no different than the concern I expressed when the mayor proposed a $90,000 contract for Steve Lipski to run an autonomous agency or the proposal of Police Chief Comey assuming multiple jobs -- both Caucasian directors and both met with stiff opposition. It wasn't racist then and it isn't racist now. Beyond that simple explanation, I am not going to dignify a racism accusation with a detailed response as those types of unfounded accusations is at the heart of what is wrong in today's political environment.

The facts here are clear. The JCIA has $7 million in unpaid bills that triggered a tax hike for all Jersey City residents this year; the JCIA is laying off and furloughing low level employees; the commissioners of the JCIA were not permitted to see the Dabney contract before voting on it; Dabney had two years left on his existing contract; Dabney gave himself a pay raise; and finally, consolidation, which the mayor and Dabney opposed, would have increased transparency and decreased costs to the taxpayer.

This week the council asked for a review of all seven agencies including the JCIA. It is not racism when council members look out for the taxpayer. We call it good government. The reality is that the JCIA should be trying to rehire those who were laid off, not fatten the pockets of the highest paid employees.

In the end, I am confident that JCIA laborers and taxpayers will see through Dabney's political nonsense. This is not racism, a more fitting name for what is happening at the JCIA leadership would be patronage and economic selfishness.

STEVEN FULOP
COUNCILMAN, WARD E
JERSEY CITY
[02:35 PM] jehu: and the only people on here who gives good advice are few.

Online Binky

• View Profile
Its my impression that Dabney has done what he was told to do.  I suspect (based upon reading the news over the last few years and having an imperfect memory, but an active imagination and suspicious nature) that Dabney did not bill the city for the money to pay the carting bill.  This allowed Healy to claim a balanced budget without having to raise taxes,  since the debt was not shown on the City's books.
The contract is Dabney's reward, since time's maybe getting short for Healy to make good on promises.
If the contract can be nullified, I think we will see a lot of people jumping ship.
« Last Edit: 08-02-2012, 09:20pm by CeeDub »
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
Wow.

Complete avoidance of the issues raised by the public, deflection and counter attack.

And he plays the race card? Following Viola's lead?

:that's racist:

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Dabney's letter: They know real reasons for their attack on JCIA and me
Published: Thursday, August 02, 2012, 6:05 AM
The Jersey Journal

My initial reaction to Councilman Steve Fulop's attacks on the JCIA Board of Commissioners' decision to award me a new contract was to ignore his outburst and continue to focus on my duties. It has become obvious, however, that he and his three colleagues will only continue these ad hominem assaults on the good people on this board without the slightest regard to the truth. They have intentionally distorted the facts of the conditions confronted by JCIA in the last several years and damaged my reputation in order to serve their own political ambitions.

Contrary to what has been asserted as fact, the $6.8 million deficit we had at the JCIA was solely the result of underfunding by the city beginning in 2009. In fact, we were actually underfunded by approximately $9.9 million since 2009 and the deficit would surely have been higher had we not taken steps to rein in costs. Our workforce has been reduced from 202 workers in 2009 to 135 today. We have changed our health care plan that will result in an approximately $1.1 million annual savings. Shifting solid waste and recycling collection to the night-time hours will save $3.5 million over the life of the contract.

Management salaries have been frozen since 2008. These council members know that the disposal fees paid to the Hudson County Improvement Authority have increased from $86.56 per ton in 2009 to $98.65 per ton as of September 2012. Moreover, the vast increase in housing units, particularly in the Downtown area, have increased the amount of refuse collected in the city.

Did Councilman Fulop or his cohorts mention these facts when they were using their elected office to destroy the character of good people? Councilman Fulop and his colleagues are aware of this, but conveniently ignore it, in my opinion, for purely political reasons. No amount of grandstanding can obscure these facts. I should note that although my old contract allowed it, I have voluntarily not taken a raise in three years and will continue not to do so as long as we are unable to afford raises for my dedicated union and non-union employees.

In closing, I must ask why Councilman Fulop is always denigrating the JCIA, an autonomous agency which happens to be headed by an African-American, born and raised in Jersey City? Why wasn't he, and the other council members "aligned with him," objecting vigorously to the other five-year contracts with raises that were awarded to the heads of the MUA and the JCPA?

I am not at all implying that those contracts were not merited by my colleagues. However, is it only coincidental that the one contract closely scrutinized and questioned was that given to an African-American? Only Councilman Fulop and his colleagues in their heart of hearts know the real reasons for their objections.

However, you can be sure that Councilman Fulop will respond to this letter by asserting things that are patently untrue and deliberately false in an effort to mislead the public. Our focus going forward will always be to improve the quality of life services we provide the public, even though we have experienced a significant decline in our workforce. The citizens of Jersey City deserve no less.

OREN K. DABNEY SR.
JERSEY CITY

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Political Insider: Mayoral race politics dictated new Dabney contract
Published: Saturday, July 28, 2012, 7:23 AM
By Agustin C. Torres/The Jersey Journal

You just can't get enough of this story. The Jersey City Incinerator Authority approved the "Sandra Cunningham's not running for mayor" contract on Wednesday, guaranteeing a five-year compensation package for agency Executive Director Oren K. Dabney, one of Cunningham's chief political cronies -- even if the JCIA disappears tomorrow. Now we can begin the pummeling.

Let's put this situation in simple terms. The JCIA commissioners unanimously approved the pact Tuesday. It gives about a 5 percent pay hike to Dabney's $120,205 salary. He'll get up to 4 percent (and you know it'll be exactly that) for each of the remaining years. Dabney also gets a car that is available for personal use all the time, except that he can only use it for three weeks each time he goes on vacation. Go figure.

The kicker is that if the JCIA is dissolved or Dabney is removed, he gets paid the remainder of the contract and is guaranteed a pension and lifetime health benefits.

There is a real possibility that his position would not be needed should the city administration have the gonads to go ahead with its initial plan to combine the JCIA and city Department of Public Works into one entity.

One concern, as witnessed by Journal reporter Terrence T. McDonald, is that the JCIA commissioners haven't a clue of what specifically it is they approved. It is amazing that it was Commissioner Mike Rooney -- he of basketball fame -- who questioned what was in the contract. It must have been a knee-jerk reaction by Rooney, who recognized the back door cut to the golden basket.

JCIA attorney Timothy J. Hawkes described the pact to the agency's governing body as nothing different from the one the panel OK'd for the executive director in 2009 -- except the original expires in two years and the new one in 2017. Was it a fib, hyperbole, or perhaps a mental lapse? It almost seemed as if Hawkes was representing Dabney, but what do I know.

I don't want to paint everyone who serves on any agency during this city administration with the same paint-by-numbers brush, but what do you say when Phil Flood, widower of the late Councilwoman Willie Flood, advises Rooney that he can see the contract the next day, after he provides a rubber stamp vote?

To placate Rooney, and probably set him straight, the crew went into a closed door session to discuss the contract. I presume it was done because a reporter was the only member of the public. Had McDonald not been there, then we could have become more philosophical -- whether you would have heard the tree fall in the forest.

Why is it a "Cunningham is not running for mayor" contract?

Despite the protestations, Mayor Jerramiah Healy must have agreed to the pact. It helps state Sen. Cunningham's pal. Some believe Cunningham plans to challenge Healy and Downtown Councilman Steven Fulop for mayor. This vote appears to be a concession to Cunningham by the mayor to keep her out of the race.

Next, I suspect, the senator would like to name a number of Healy's council running mates.

The mayor does protest the Dabney -- or is that future Assemblyman Dabney (beware, Charles Mainor) -- contract, some.

He says: "We're going to review all of the contracts for the executive directors of all the autonomous agencies to make sure that there are no raises inconsistent with the fiscal restraints we've placed on all city directors and employees for the past three years."

The mayor's staff says they knew of the contract vote but were unaware of the pact's terms. Let's see, they knew there was a contract vote but were not made suspicious by the fact there was already one in place? One JCIA member who approved the contract is Kevin Lyons, who works in the Mayor's Office.

The proposed merger of the JCIA and DPW was being ballyhooed by the Healy administration as a way of cutting spending costs, including jobs, to the tune of about $6.4 million. Most of those whose jobs may have been threatened would probably come from the JCIA, where Cunningham has most of her patronage, but the main concern is obviously Dabney's position.

So naturally, Healy gets cold feet as the May election approaches and there is only talk of a small amount of downsizing. It reminds most people of the mayor's decision to postpone property revaluation -- until after the city election.

Then, the city decides to bail out the JCIA by providing funds to pay the agency's surprising $7 million debt in past due bills. Dabney claims the city is to blame for not giving the agency enough funds to pay carting companies -- who are probably not picking up garbage from restaurants, colleges, and other questionable sites. Remember, I said "not" ;).

I forgot to mention that the JCIA commissioners decided to reopen Dabney's contract to reward him for exceptional service. This probably includes providing a flatbed truck for Jersey City Democratic Organization use in the annual St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Fulop's reaction is stronger. He and fellow City Council members Rolando Lavarro, Nidia Lopez and David Donnelly have asked for the state attorney general to probe the JCIA's action, called for the agency's board members to resign, and plan to introduce an ordinance to place the JCIA within the DPW. They will also frown a great deal at the Aug. 1 council session.

I'm surprised they did not take the matter to the city ethics board. Oh, wait, is there one? I don't recall the panel of moral principles meeting in several years.

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
WHO APPOINTS THE COMMISSIONERS? HOW LONG IS THE TERM?

WHY IS THE FOX STILL GUARDING THE HENHOUSE?

Offline fasteddie

• View Profile
Richardson said after the meeting that the actions of her colleagues in regard to Dabney, who is African American, were “bordering on racism.

Are you sure he's African American? I dunno, I know some white people who look more African than that. Maybe he's bordering on African American, hence the comment "bordering on racism".

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
That's an outrageous statement by Richardson. Dabney ran them 7 million in debt and gets a new contract and raise 2 years before his current contract is up, for his exceptional performance?

By the way, Viola, how does anyone “micro manage” an autonomous agency? It's impossible by definition.
[02:35 PM] jehu: and the only people on here who gives good advice are few.

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
As Jersey City council members solidify objection against JCIA director's contract, one councilwoman calls foul
Published: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 3:00 AM
Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal

The war of words over the pay raise and a new five-year contract given to the executive director of the Jersey City Incinerator Authority continued last night at the City Council caucus, with one council member telling reporters by night’s end that the actions of some of her colleagues “bordered on racism.”

Saying it’s “all politics,” Councilwoman-at-Large Viola Richardson accused fellow council members of trying to “micro manage” the autonomous agency.

JCIA commissioners last Tuesday awarded a new five-year contract to the agency’s executive director, Oren K. Dabney. The new contract came with a 4.8 percent pay raise and a guarantee that he would be paid his salary and receive benefits for the term of his contract even if the agency is dissolved.

Outraged by the terms, four Jersey City council members Steven Fulop, Rolando Lavarro, Nidia Lopez, and David Donnelly called last week for the seven JCIA commissioners who signed off on the contract to resign and for the state attorney general to investigate the contract.

Fulop and Lavarro said last night they would draft a City Council resolution calling for the resignation of the JCIA commissioners to be presented at tomorrow night’s council meeting.

Corporation Counsel Bill Matsikoudis responded that he would provide a written legal opinion as to whether the council members have the authority to control the expenditures of an autonomous city agency.

Donnelly asked Matsikoudis to draft a resolution to bar autonomous agencies from extending director contracts beyond the term of the sitting mayor to prevent “handing out golden parachutes.”

Richardson said after the meeting that the actions of her colleagues in regard to Dabney, who is African American, were “bordering on racism.

“It’s just not fair to treat him like that,” Richardson said. “It is not fair to treat anybody like that.”

Fulop responded, saying that he is calling for a review of all six autonomous agencies, not just the JCIA.

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
JCIA chief 'getting less' than other agency chiefs, attorney says; not so, payroll records say
Published: Friday, July 27, 2012, 10:14 AM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

When the Jersey City Incinerator Authority Board of Commissioners on Tuesday voted to award JCIA chief Oren K. Dabney a new, five-year contract with a nearly 5 percent pay hike, the city agency’s attorney compared Dabney’s salary to the salaries of the city’s other agency chiefs.

The city has six autonomous agencies that operate with their own governing bodies, though some of the agencies rely in large part on city funds for their budgets. The executive directors of the other agencies “get a lot more” and do less than Dabney, JCIA attorney Timothy J. Hawkes said Tuesday night.

“He’s actually getting less than them,” Hawkes said.

But that’s not true. Dabney, whose current base salary is $120,205, is not the highest paid agency chief, but he’s certainly not the lowest, according to records obtained by The Jersey Journal.

Maria Maio, who heads the Jersey City Housing Authority, has the distinction of being the highest paid agency chief in Jersey City. Her 2011 salary was $173,276. Dan Becht, executive director of the city Municipal Utilities Authority, earned $139,857 last year, while Bob Antonicello, chief of the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, brought in $134,270. Dabney’s $120,205 in 2011 brings him in just below Antonicello.

Just below Dabney is Mary Paretti, chief of the Jersey City Parking Authority, who made $113,565 last year. Coming in as the city agency chief with the lowest base salary is Priscilla Gardner, director of the Jersey City Free Public Library. Her 2011 base salary was $113,162.

The salary hike granted to Dabney on Tuesday, which would bring is new base pay to $126,215, is not sitting well with city officials. Mayor Jerramiah Healy expressed dissatisfaction, saying he wasn’t aware of the terms of Dabney’s new contract, while four City Council members are calling on the entire JCIA board to resign because the board was ready to approve Dabney’s contract on Tuesday without reading it first.

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
Jersey City council members call for resignations over new pact for agency chief

Four Jersey City City Council members are calling for the resignations of all seven Jersey City Incinerator Authority commissioners for awarding JCIA chief Oren K. Dabney a five-year contract this week.

The council members are also calling the state attorney general to investigate the action.

Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop, who has led the charge to dissolve the JCIA, said today he objects to the commissioners approving the contract even though some said they hadn’t seen the pact, which comes with an initial pay hike of roughly 5 percent.

“From a basic public policy perspective, there are so many things wrong with what the JCIA board did,” Fulop said in a statement.

The seven-member JCIA board unanimously awarded Dabney the contract at its meeting Tuesday. Dabney wasn’t due for a new pact until 2014, but the JCIA board acted two years early as a reward for “superior services,” according to a resolution memorializing the decision.

At the meeting, commissioners asked to see the contract, but Commission Chair Phillip Flood urged them to vote on the agreement before reading it. JCIA attorney Timothy J. Hawkes told them it was the “same contract” the board approved in 2009, though the new agreement comes with a salary that’s 4.8 percent higher than the one in the 2009 contract.

Neither Hawkes nor Flood returned repeated phone calls requesting comment.

City of Jersey CityJCIA chief Oren K. Dabney was awarded a new contract this year that comes with an initial, 5 percent salary boost.

Fulop’s colleagues David Donnelly, Rolando Lavarro and Nidia Lopez joined him in objecting to the action. Donnelly and Lavarro plan to run on mayoral candidate Fulop’s ticket in next year’s city election.

“This lacks basic leadership when you give yourself a raise while laying off low-level employees and not paying basic bills,” Donnelly said in the statement. “This is just wrong.”

Council members interrogated Dabney earlier this year when they discovered that the JCIA hadn’t paid more than $7 million in overdue bills, a debt that Dabney blamed on insufficient city funding. The council later approved a $6.8 million payment to the JCIA to cover some of the debt, over Fulop’s and Lavarro’s objections.

"Given the scrutiny the agency is under for its mountain of debt, this action by the JCIA board makes absolutely no sense," Lopez said in the statement.

In addition to the A.G. investigation and the JCIA resignations, the four council members said they will re-introduce a city measure intended to dissolve the JCIA and merge its functions into the city of Department of Public Works. The measure stalled in April after hundreds of JCIA workers and their supporters voiced their objection.

Yesterday, Healy’s office said the mayor was unaware that the JCIA was considering a new contract for Dabney. Today, Lavarro questioned that statement.

“I don’t know how the mayor can say he didn’t know when his own employees sit on the JCIA board,” Lavarro said. “Either he is not engaged in city government or is not being forthright. Either way it’s bad for the city, taxpayers and the average worker at the JCIA .”

Offline Woodsy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Isn't the Incinerator Authority supposed to be merged with the Department of Public works anyway?  Why hasn't this happened yet?  We could have saved the city over $150K.  And how is the JCIA binding the city to pay him out $450,000 if his position is eliminated by this merger?  This reeks of the kind of corruption that is bankrupting this city.

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums