Author Topic: Razza Pizza Artigianale  (Read 6305 times)

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Video: Razza’s Bread and Butter
« Reply #12 on: 07-23-2014, 01:09pm »
Razza was featured in the NY Times. Click here to watch the video.

"Blink and you’ll miss the bread and butter on the menu at Razza Pizza Artigianale in Jersey City. Miss it, and I’ll feel sorry for you. The naturally leavened bread arrives oven-warmed, with soft, salted bright yellow butter beside it. Every bite of bread is pillowy, the butter uniquely tangy, the crust dark and crackling.

To me, it’s the most memorable dish on the chef and co-owner Dan Richer’s small menu, which is saying a lot since it’s a restaurant with pizza in its name. And that’s O.K. with him. While he was learning to make a better pizza, he got sucked into the rabbit hole of fermentation. Now, as you’ll see, it’s become his specialty."

Liza de Guia is a video journalist whose blog, Food. Curated., profiles people who produce interesting food in New York and beyond.

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
Re: Razza Pizza Artigianale
« Reply #11 on: 12-01-2013, 12:48pm »
Shoutbox review from :soshin:
"We went to Razza last night, I must say I was highly impressed. Probably one of the best pizzas I have ever had and I've eaten a helluva lot of that shit.
Plus they gave us a free appetizer for dropping JCFoodcoop's name! :nana: "

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08-06-2013, 04:30pm »
Why can't you get food to go there? That's weird.

Also, have they ironed everything out so that they can serve food outside all days of the week?

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08-06-2013, 03:35pm »
nice to see Little Vincent's from Huntington Long Island was listed before Razza, I grew up on that slice! :yum:
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
« Reply #8 on: 08-05-2013, 02:51pm »
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Offline Darna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08-05-2013, 02:51pm »
FU, Bobble!

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
« Reply #6 on: 08-05-2013, 02:50pm »
Razza's The Santo pizaa makes Thrillist's "33 best pizzas in America" list.

Razza Pizza Artigianale, Jersey City, New Jersey
What you're getting: The Santo
This is the best Neapolitan pizza that you better not call Neapolitan pizza. The crispy edged wood-fired pies at downtown Razza's serve up nothing but seasonally harvested New Jersey-everything . . . .

Read here for more

Who spells pizza wrong?

Though, I've gotten the Santo, and it is pretty good.  ;D
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Offline Darna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-05-2013, 02:47pm »
Razza's The Santo pizza makes Thrillist's "33 best pizzas in America" list.

Razza Pizza Artigianale, Jersey City, New Jersey
What you're getting: The Santo
This is the best Neapolitan pizza that you better not call Neapolitan pizza. The crispy edged wood-fired pies at downtown Razza's serve up nothing but seasonally harvested New Jersey-everything . . . .

Read here for more

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
SDH on RPA in the JCI. Also, grand opening today, Jan. 18, from 5 pm to 7 pm.

Razza Pizza Artigianale Puts Simple, Elegant Spin on Jersey Favorite
By Summer Dawn Hortillosa • Jan 18th, 2013

When business partners Dan Richer, 32, and Fred Shandler, 30, decided to open Razza Pizza Artigianale in their beloved Jersey City, they already had a pretty good idea of what they were doing.

For the past six years, the two have been running Arturo’s Osteria and Pizzeria, a neighborhood corner restaurant in Maplewood with a stellar 4.5 stars on Yelp. “Our primary clientele in Maplewood is our family, and everyone has a kid so the restaurant is very loud and lively, and I love that,” says Richer. “I love being a place that a family can raise a kid in. We have kids that grow up on our pizza and to me, that’s a very special thing.”

Now, the two JC residents are hoping to be part of their neighbors’ memories and daily lives. Since early October, Razza has been serving up slices from the space across from City Hall previously occupied by Bar Majestic, a wine bar that debuted a Peruvian food menu early last year shortly before closing. (Owner Joseph Castro originally had plans to open another restaurant on Newark Avenue, but eventually opened Barrio Bar in New York City.)

Richer knows that in Jersey, pizza is more than just pizza, and has been studying pizzamaking for about ten years. “I picked apart every aspect of what makes pizza pizza and what makes pizza delicious and then focused on each of those individual components to put together a product that I’m proud of,” he says.

“I don’t think you’ll find a better product out there,” says Richer boldly. “It’s all about the individual components and how they come together to make a beautiful thing at the end.”

Read more.

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Success from simplicity: Less is still more at Razza Pizza Artigianale
By Peter Genovese/The Star-Ledger
on December 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM, updated December 28, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Dan Richer’s goal is a modest one.

"I want to make this the best pizzeria in the country,’’ says the co-owner of Razza Pizza Artigianale in Jersey City. "I don’t have an ego, right?’’ he adds, laughing.

Possibly no other slice of the food industry is as competitive as the pizza business, but Richer had already distanced himself from the pack before opening Razza. Arturo’s in Maplewood, which he co-owns with Fred Shandler, has long received acclaim for its pizzas and pasta.

Now comes Razza, comfortably ensconced in the former Bar Majestic. The space is actually smaller than Arturo’s, but it’s much more atmospheric, with the Majestic’s handsome bar at ground level and the cozy dining room several steps up.

The menu is spare — "there’s nothing on it,’’ Richer says, with mild understatement. There are five pizzas, three salads, six "small plates,’’ and a daily pasta special.

He makes his own yeast culture and doesn’t subscribe to the strict rules set down by Verace Pizza Napoletana, an association that "certifies’’ true Neapolitan pizza, which has become all the rage the past few years. "Soupy’’ is the word he uses to describes much authentic Neapolitan pizza, which must be cooked in a wood-fired oven and made with type 00 flour and San Marzano tomatoes, among other strictures.

Richer is having none of it. His flour is milled not in Italy but Clifton. He uses locally sourced ingredients when possible. He makes his own bread, and dreams one day of opening a bakery around the corner from Razza.

Both pizzas we tried on a recent night — a margherita ($15), and a Farm Pie ($15) with fresh mozzarella, Jersey brussels sprouts, leeks and bacon emulsion — were terrific. Uber-fresh cheese, crisp crust, perfect char. No "soupy’’ anywhere to be found.

The ricotta crostini ($6) pairs standout bread with more silky, creamy cheese, and the fire-roasted meatballs (polpette al forno, $8) — are the kind of meatballs, and sauce, I’d happily greet the end of the world with.

Richer’s philosophy is fewer, simpler ingredients, but the homemade gnocchi with maitake, crimini and oyster mushrooms ($18) needed something — sauce, olive oil, herbs? — to raise it from the depths of bland.

The apple sauce ($7), made from Jersey apples, brown sugar and vanilla bean, is a creme brulee-like confection served on the chilled side, leaving us to wonder how wonderful it would have been warm.

But you don’t go to a pizzeria for dessert. Start with some handmade bread and butter, don’t miss the meatballs, and proceed to pizza. Others include the Bianco (white), the Mai Pie (fresh mozzarella, maitake and crimini mushrooms, and parmigiano) and the Fennel (fresh mozzarella, shaved fennel, onion, parmigiano).

"Find amazing ingredients, then back off,’’ the 32-year-old Richer says of his mission at Arturo’s and Razza.

Razza has been open just two months, but for pizza it’s already well ahead of the greasy mediocrity that defines much of Jersey pizza.

Razza Pizza Artigianale
275 Grove St. Jersey City; (201) 356-9348. Hours: 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday; 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Closed Tuesday. Website: razzanj.com.

Offline JCConfidential

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-03-2012, 01:06pm »
We visited Razza a couple of weeks ago on a slower night.

The waitress who helped us said that the establishment had been open for about 3 weeks.

We had a really nice meal with a couple of cold appetizers and then one pizza each. The pizzas are fluffy, a bit doughier than a real Neapolitan pizza, but fired in a high-heat oven to a great texture and level of char on the crust. Each was about ten inches in diameter, so these are single-person pies for the most part. The toppings are almost entirely vegetarian, if I remember correctly -- the exception being one pizza with sausage toppings. I'd say that the whole menu is fairly heavily slanted toward vegetables and starches. A real meat eater would have a hard time finding something substantial there. This isn't to be harsh, though -- after all, it's a pizzeria, not a steak joint.

The interior ambience is quite nice -- a good balance between modern and rustic, though I suppose we expected to see a bit more of the old Majestic lobby exposed in the dining room, if in fact there is any of it left. The dining area is split-level with an exposed kitchen on the upper level and can accomodate maybe 50 people.

The waitstaff was very friendly. The/an owner came over at the end of our meal to make sure that everything was okay. (It was.)

We will be back. However, when I passed by on the following Friday, there was a line out the door, so we'll likely be prepared for either a wait or we'll come mid-week again on a slower night.

Online MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Razza Pizza Artigianale
« Reply #1 on: 10-08-2012, 11:02am »
Razza Pizza Artigianale
275 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Map it | Facebook | Twitter

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Razza Pizza Artigianale
« Reply #1 on: 10-08-2012, 11:02am »