Author Topic: City to rebuild Jersey Avenue footbridge to Liberty State Park  (Read 14336 times)

Offline devb

• View Profile
Construction to begin on Jersey Avenue Extension
« Reply #33 on: 08-06-2019, 12:59pm »
https://www.facebook.com/1340175796045395/posts/2430024777060486/

ADVISORY: Construction will begin on Jersey Avenue connecting Liberty State Park and downtown Jersey City over the Mill Creek in August 2019 and is expected to continue through December 2021. The project calls for the construction of a road bridge over Mill Creek and will include a vehicular lane in each direction as well as sidewalk, bike lanes, lighting and crosswalk improvements. Pedestrian and bicycle access will be maintained via the Ethel Pesin Liberty Footbridge throughout the entire project. Please follow all directional signage.

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jersey City officials unveil new footbridge to Liberty State Park
By Erika Solorzano/The Jersey Journal
on May 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM

A new footbridge leading from Downtown Jersey City to Liberty State Park was finally unveiled today, seven months after the old bridge was destroyed during Hurricane Sandy.

The opening of the new bridge was welcome news for Jersey City woman Amy Castle, who appeared on her bike at this morning’s ribbon cutting for the new span.

“I'm so happy the bridge is back," said Castle. "We bike ride here as a family to the park all the time, the bridge made it so much easier for us."

The new bridge is dubbed the Ethel Pesin Liberty Footbridge, after the wife of Liberty State Park’s founder. Pesin, 98, died in February.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy appeared with other city officials at today’s ribbon cutting. Healy’s administration has been seeking to open the bridge by Memorial Day.

The old footbridge was a victim of Sandy, the Oct. 29 storm that devastated the region.

"It might have been a favor in disguise," Healy said. "This new bridge will make it so much easier for the citizens of Jersey City to access the great Liberty State Park.” The new bridge cost $800,000, at least 75 percent of which the city hopes will be reimbursed by federal officials.

Rodney Hadley, director of the city Department of Public Works, was especially happy at today’s unveiling.

"The old bridge was so hard to maintain,” Hadley said. “The residents needed this, we all did.”

Pesin's son, Sam, who is president of the Friends of Liberty State Park, today praised Healy, Mayor-elect Steve Fulop and other officials for making the new bridge a priority.

"I hope thousands of people enjoy the footbridge this summer season and in the coming decades," Pesin said in an email.

Offline jcgov

• View Profile
    • jerseycitynj.gov
Ribbon Cutting At New Foot Bridge To LSP, 5/24, @ 11 am
« Reply #31 on: 05-23-2013, 01:21pm »
Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, members of the Municipal Council, and other city officials will join community members for a ribbon cutting ceremony  for the newly installed Jersey Avenue pedestrian bridge that links downtown Jersey City with Liberty State Park and which was washed out during Hurricane Sandy. The ceremony will take place at 11 a.m. on Friday, May 24th, 2013 at Jersey Avenue and Mill Creek.

“We know how important this piece of infrastructure is to our residents,” said Mayor Healy. “I am pleased that we have been able to complete this project on schedule and open the bridge for the Memorial Day weekend.”

In the coming weeks, the city will hold a ceremony to officially dedicate the bridge as the “Ethel Pesin Liberty Bridge.”

Read more.

City of Jersey City
Office of Communications
http://www.jerseycitynj.gov/

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
According to the Mayor's office, the bridge will be delivered next week and construction is on schedule in time for opening around Memorial Day.

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
Has anyone heard any news or updates about whether or when the footbridge that leads to Liberty State park (where Jersey Avenue ends) will be repaired?

According the most recent article in the Jersey (dated Jan. 31): "The city expects to put the footbridge work out to bid by the end of March, and hopes to have it replaced entirely by Memorial Day, or “as soon as possible” after, according to McFadden."

That seems highly unlikely since that'll be after the election.  :P
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
Lafayette is jammed with morning cars exiting immediately past the extension toll booths, they proceed left under the tpk and turn rt past the lightrail car park to left onto Johnson, even making the right on Whiton then left on Ash to Pacific thence Grand. From there… But same exit right turn would lead to Phillip Street which leads directly to Jersey, 1.1 miles and2 stop signs and NO LIGHT RAIL CROSSING vs. a rail cross, 4 signals and 1.4 miles.

See the attraction now?

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Has anyone heard any news or updates about whether or when the footbridge that leads to Liberty State park (where Jersey Avenue ends) will be repaired?

According the most recent article in the Jersey (dated Jan. 31): "The city expects to put the footbridge work out to bid by the end of March, and hopes to have it replaced entirely by Memorial Day, or “as soon as possible” after, according to McFadden."

Offline stephen

• View Profile
Devil's advocate here.  I'm not buying it.  I'm not buying that installing a motor bridge to carry cars between LSP and downtown will increase the incidents of short-cutting to the Holland Tunnel.  And I should point out that I'm a tireless critic of the current traffic condition in downtown. The average short-cutter is a rash character, impulsive.  He'll get off at Columbus but won't be nearly as smart to get of way back at Bayview.  And then he'd have to navigate Burma/Phillip which is a time killer.  Columbus is the problem.  The police should be stopping cars there to see if they are interlopers.

Offline Geelo

• View Profile
    • NYR Organic skincare and cosmetics
Talk organic to me

Offline Area Man

• View Profile
*clearly* Fletch has not been to Detroit, he's drinking Coleman'sCoolAid if he thinks DUNJTO Lafayette is anything like that.

If we want an FDR or CrossBronx built out of Columbus, Grand &/or Jersey the car bridge is tbe best place to start.

a single motor entrance plus a footbridge from DT is more than enough. 

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
*clearly* Fletch has not been to Detroit, he's drinking Coleman'sCoolAid if he thinks DUNJTO Lafayette is anything like that.

If we want an FDR or CrossBronx built out of Columbus, Grand &/or Jersey the car bridge is tbe best place to start.

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
Just for my own understanding, can I ask why you are against a real bridge?  Already the park is open to motor vehicles from more than one route.  However, it's a complete pain in the ass to get to the park from downtown.  

I don't even own a car myself, but I have been driven to the park by others, and having to go through parts of Jersey City that resemble burned out Detroit more than a thriving urban area, it's quite depressing and frustrating.  Shouldn't the park be opened up for more utilization by the public?  It would seem to me a logical thing to build a real bridge.  

Please don't bite my head off, I am just trying to understand both sides of the issue.  

Thanks

Fletch

Call me selfish, but I enjoy the park and the immediate surroundings mostly for its peace and quiet.  More road access will bring more cars, including drivers who aren’t visiting the park.  It will also chase away the wildlife, what little of it there is in the first place.  A decade from now, so much construction will have taken place in that area that it won’t be recognizable, so let’s take advantage of the quietude while it lasts.

As far as automobile access to the park, it’s no big deal to go around the horn if you’re driving.  On the other hand, more traffic would probably make the area feel safer for people who are intimidated by its shadiness.

Offline Hurtle

• View Profile
Just for my own understanding, can I ask why you are against a real bridge?  Already the park is open to motor vehicles from more than one route.  However, it's a complete pain in the ass to get to the park from downtown. 

I don't even own a car myself, but I have been driven to the park by others, and having to go through parts of Jersey City that resemble burned out Detroit more than a thriving urban area, it's quite depressing and frustrating.  Shouldn't the park be opened up for more utilization by the public?  It would seem to me a logical thing to build a real bridge. 

Please don't bite my head off, I am just trying to understand both sides of the issue. 

Thanks

Fletch

Because there will be all sorts of traffic cutting through the park into the side streets from the turnpike extension when it gets backed up looking for a shortcut to the Holland Tunnel.  That's not good for the park or ward E/F.

Offline FGJCNJ1970

• View Profile
Just for my own understanding, can I ask why you are against a real bridge?  Already the park is open to motor vehicles from more than one route.  However, it's a complete pain in the ass to get to the park from downtown. 

I don't even own a car myself, but I have been driven to the park by others, and having to go through parts of Jersey City that resemble burned out Detroit more than a thriving urban area, it's quite depressing and frustrating.  Shouldn't the park be opened up for more utilization by the public?  It would seem to me a logical thing to build a real bridge. 

Thanks

Fletch

Offline Binky

• View Profile
I’m all for a brand new footbridge. It’s one more reason to delay the construction of a bridge for automobiles.

+1 Frank.  I hope they never build one for motor vehicles.
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline FGJCNJ1970

• View Profile
Here is an article that goes back to 2011.  Also a google search came up with a PDF called this: 

Jersey Avenue Extension: Jersey City, NJ
Conceptual Design + Streets Improvement Plan
Prepared for the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency
July 2011

Can't we just execute what has ALREADY been planned for and save money?

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2011/10/jersey_city_wants_federal_fund.html

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
Can't the visionaries in City Hall just move forward and build the real bridge now and apply that $800,000 to that?  And in essence, reduce that cost by $800,000?

What exactly do you mean by, “Build the real bridge now?”  How Soon Is Now? 

I’m all for a brand new footbridge. It’s one more reason to delay the construction of a bridge for automobiles.

Offline FGJCNJ1970

• View Profile
What I really don't understand is.... plans have already been in the works for years now, to build a real bridge for cars, bikes and pedestrians and extend Jersey Avenue into Liberty State Park. 

To build this $800,000 monstrosity, only then to have to tear it down in a few years when they build the real bridge seems like a terrible waste of money.

Can't the visionaries in City Hall just move forward and build the real bridge now and apply that $800,000 to that?  And in essence, reduce that cost by $800,000?

Otherwise, we are just throwing money away.  And with our taxes having gone through the roof, someone has to get the City to stop and think.  This is what I hate about Jersey City and why I am running for Ward E Council as an Independent.  We see this all the time.  For instance, they redid Newark avenue... and shortly thereafter, they've dug portions up only to have to repave once again.  Same thing with sidewalks... can go on and on.

What's up with this.  - Fletch

Follow the Journey on www.facebook.com/Fletch4JCWardE

Offline fasteddie

• View Profile
Bravo! 
The old bridge was rickety and twisted, stabilty is what is needed for the safety of the runners and bikers.
The connection will be restored and better than ever!
Sure it will be safe for bikers, big burly bearded Hell's Angels types with leather pants and jean jackets with scary skull and bones patches but will it be safe for petite, white, single females of which there are many in the area?

Offline devb

• View Profile
Nah, this will actually have of those rusticated brown patina finishes you see in every park these days. Prefabricated and dropped in place. I'd love to see a cost breakdown.

Offline Woodsy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wow looks like they just cut a span of the Pulaski Skyway and dropped it in the park. 

Offline MlNNlE

• View Profile
Bravo! 
The old bridge was rickety and twisted, stabilty is what is needed for the safety of the runners and bikers.
The connection will be restored and better than ever!

Offline Miss Eliza Bennet

• View Profile
That sounds about right to me. Did they break down the cost?

$750K!!! just throw down some pallets and put up a sign "cross at your own risk!!"

Offline MÇA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
From today's Independent story about the new bridge:

"The redesigned bridge, a prefabricated steel structure intended to withstand storm surges, was presented to the City Council at Monday night’s caucus meeting (and can be seen here). With a price tag of about $800,000, assistant city engineer Jeffrey Reeves said that at least 75% of that money will come from FEMA as part of the city’s recovery funding, while private money and grants are being looked at to foot the rest of the bill.

[...] The footprint of the bridge was limited by an ordinance governing whether new Department of Environmental Protection permits would be required. That means the bridge will only be 1.5-feet off the ground, though concrete pilings may go as far as 90-feet to insure its stability. That, coupled with a design that permits water to pass through, will protect the bridge in future storms, said Reeves."

Offline jehu

• View Profile
$750K!!! just throw down some pallets and put up a sign "cross at your own risk!!"
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm… I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums