Author Topic: Hard Grove Cafe - CLOSED  (Read 4832 times)

Online Binky

• View Profile
Re: Hard Grove Cafe
« Reply #13 on: 04-25-2014, 09:36pm »
That's one of the things I'd always noticed about the cursed restaurant location of Ginfi, now Blue Lotus I guess, and a handful of others over the years.  I always wondered if the dumpster next to the front door put off anyone other than me.
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Online HippyWitch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04-25-2014, 09:23pm »
If I knew how to post a picture I'd show you where their loading and dumpster is right now and has been for years. Lmfao right on Columbus, Hard Grove has no rear, this drunk platinum gold member knows ;) the side they use know for all that is 20 feet from a "deli" ugh

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04-24-2014, 10:59am »
Word is that Hard Grove Caf is moving from the corner of Grove & Columbus over to 143 Newark Avenue, smack dab in the middle of the proposed pedestrian plaza. I snapped the pic below. Seems they'll have an entrance on Columbus Drive. But don't restaurants need an unsightly rear or side area for dumpsters, loading etc.?

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04-08-2008, 12:20pm »
I haven't tried it yet, but a friend informed me that the Hard Grove has recently added a new vegetarian section to their menu, including "mock" meats and stuff. Might be worth checking out, if you're into that sort of thing.

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
  • fuck a goddamn canadian rig count.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11-07-2007, 06:09pm »
The last few years Domenic had it, the place was on auto-pilot and sinking fast.  The new owners are a definite improvement.

There is some truth in the first sentence at least.  I think Domenic's attention was pretty obviously diverted during his brief fling with the Stone Pony.

I have eaten there once since the new ownership took over.  The food was ok, at least that time.  But I miss the gold palm trees.
[06:11 PM]  fasteddie: jesus, this SB is deader than JC Vibe

Offline cyclotronic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11-07-2007, 04:14pm »
The last few years Domenic had it, the place was on auto-pilot and sinking fast.  The new owners are a definite improvement.

Offline jcpeace

• Just Say Faux OP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11-05-2007, 12:17pm »
what are you saying here jcpacem? Did you mean to say Demonic Satan? Seriously.

granted, i didn't agree with dominic's anti-castro cuban expat politics, but i still think that he's a nice guy.

when i first moved to JC, the hard grove fed homeless people on thanksgiving. i volunteered one year, and dominic fed me free drinks all night.......
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll murder you in your sleep." Frank Zappa (1965)

TheFang: Did you know they were made in chicken eggs! Oh no! Not chickens.

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
  • fuck a goddamn canadian rig count.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-05-2007, 12:16pm »
what jcp said.
[06:11 PM]  fasteddie: jesus, this SB is deader than JC Vibe

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-05-2007, 12:09pm »
have not been in this place since the dominic santana the original owner cashed out.
they got rid of their cool, unique decor, so this place is dead to me now

what are you saying here jcpacem? Did you mean to say Demonic Satan? Seriously.

AmbushBug

« Reply #4 on: 11-05-2007, 11:57am »
Haven't been there since they remodeled, but the food was awful. I prefer La Conguita, even though Fang refuses to eat there because of the rude service.

Offline jcpeace

• Just Say Faux OP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-05-2007, 10:32am »
have not been in this place since the dominic santana the original owner cashed out.
they got rid of their cool, unique decor, so this place is dead to me now
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll murder you in your sleep." Frank Zappa (1965)

TheFang: Did you know they were made in chicken eggs! Oh no! Not chickens.

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-05-2007, 09:59am »
I thought the food here was spectularly mediocre. But it is a good place to get a drink...hmmm check that it WAS a good place to get a drink before they put the 1,000 inch flat screen TV behind the bar. Now you're retinas get burned while you sip your cocktails.

I use to like to get a drink there, people were really friendly and they played decent salsa and it had a party vibe. I don't like huge devilvisions in my face while I imbibe.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hard Grove Cafe - CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: 11-04-2007, 07:48pm »
Hard Grove Cafe
"Fine Cuban Cuisine"
319 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
(201) 451-1853
Map it
« Last Edit: 08-19-2015, 10:19am by MCA »