Author Topic: Marco & Pepe - CLOSED  (Read 14030 times)

Online TheFang

• View Profile
Re: Marco & Pepe
« Reply #25 on: 04-08-2017, 06:56pm »
Walked by today. They are closed.
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05-18-2007, 12:31pm »
huge fan of their version of mac and cheese - especially when the chef gets heavy handed with the white truffle oil...

See the article from the NYT below. I was not aware of this either.

Hocus-Pocus, and a Beaker of Truffles
By DANIEL PATTERSON
Published: May 16, 2007

A TRUFFLE by any other name may smell as sweet, but what if that name is 2,4-dithiapentane? All across the country, in restaurants great and small, the truffle flavor advertised on menus is increasingly being supplied by truffle oil. What those menus dont say is that, unlike real truffles, the aroma of truffle oil is not born in the earth. Most commercial truffle oils are concocted by mixing olive oil with one or more compounds like 2,4-dithiapentane (the most prominent of the hundreds of aromatic molecules that make the flavor of white truffles so exciting) that have been created in a laboratory; their one-dimensional flavor is also changing common understanding of how a truffle should taste.

Read the complete article here.

Offline Mr_Grieves

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05-17-2007, 09:14am »
Thanks, sounds great.
Well just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Offline Skadave

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05-17-2007, 09:02am »
The spinoff is called OX and it will be opening where La Primavera used to be. It apparently it is owned by two former chefs of marco + pepe. They recently received their building permits and have been doing extensive construction since.

As far as it being a spinoff, i doubt that OX is affiliated in M+P in any way other than employing former employees.

Offline Mr_Grieves

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05-17-2007, 05:32am »
Anyway, if so, she is general manager of the new spin off of marcopepe on Newark.

Spinoff?
Well just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Offline RB

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05-17-2007, 12:23am »
M&P's ruined my birthday dinner with my girlfriend last year by providing the most awful service I have ever experienced. Even after my girlfriend talked to the manager (and if you knew us, you would know that things must have been BAD for either of us to speak with management), they did not make good with us by, say, buying one of our drinks or dessert. That's all it would have taken to make us feel better about the night. Instead we both left aggravated and bitter about the place.

A couple of friends recently convinced us to go back there and I had a delicious meal and service was nice. Still, I haven't been back since and probably won't, which is unfortunate because it's half a block from me. There are many other options that keep us happy (Simple!).

Oh, and the 'mac and cheese' there is good, but if you go to Merchant and ask them to add bacon to their mac and cheese, it's just as good IMO.

Offline PhillyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05-16-2007, 11:24pm »
I can cook better food too. As far as I am concerned, as long as you have a cook in the house, you never eat as well as you do at home.

That being said, I don't always WANT to cook for myself.  And then . . .

Btw, I understand the rules about names.  E.g., I think that there are some very yummy hot beef and cheese sandwiches on a hoagie roll out there.  But they are *not* cheesesteaks.

I guess that although I loved the baked kind of maccheese growing up, I was not so loyal to it that I can't call other pasta and cheese dishes maccheese.

And can I get a few more shout outs for the pour!?

PS -- squirrel, was katrina the blonde at the bar (slash wannabe filmmaker)?  I never remembered her name, but she always remembered mine, so I never felt comfortable asking.  Anyway, if so, she is general manager of the new spin off of marcopepe on Newark.
I want to live like a Saudi prince. Can you get me a tent, three wifes and a camel? -- JSQ, AtS

Offline justiceiro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05-16-2007, 10:53pm »
I may be a whore Sir, but I am not a cheap whore!
I'm the Chakotay that you want me to be.

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
« Reply #17 on: 05-16-2007, 09:59pm »
Way too expensive.  For half the money I'll cook you better food, an then anally assualt you with a spatula and your own wallet for that complete Marco and Pepe experience.

Meh, you'd probably do that for free. [need to petition webmaster for flipoff smiley]

:D
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Offline justiceiro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05-16-2007, 09:47pm »
Way too expensive.  For half the money I'll cook you better food, an then anally assualt you with a spatula and your own wallet for that complete Marco and Pepe experience.
I'm the Chakotay that you want me to be.

Offline skwirrlking

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05-16-2007, 09:02pm »
I really like marcopepe (that's what I call it -- too lazy for the ampersand).  And if you are not starving, you can get nice food in smaller portions for not-so-much money.  Also, and this is my favorite thing -- nobody else in JC (that I have found) is so generous with their pour. I think they might be up at 7-8oz for a glass of wine.  And good wine, at that.

+1 on the heavy pour.

also - does anyone know if katrina (manager I think) is still there? she hasn't been at the restaurant the last few times we went. we always had a great experience with her, so i hope she hasn't moved on.

AmbushBug

« Reply #14 on: 05-16-2007, 12:55pm »
Ska, there are many different varieties of mac'n'cheese.

If you like the baked kind, and are up for a bit of an adventure, you can try Alton Brown's recipe , for DEEP FRIED MAC AND CHEESE!!

"All we do is take the mac and cheese we baked yesterday and turn it over a couple of times in some flour that's got a little cayenne pepper in itjust for fun. Dust it off. Knock it into a little bit of beaten egg. Okay, you got that? And then into some of those Japanese bread crumbs. Just kind of pack those on all around like that. And what I like to do is I use this thing called a spider, this little wire guy right here.

And we just put that on there and drop it into 375 degree oil. In just a few minutes it comes out golden brown and delicious. Why don't you put a little kosher salt on there and, I'll hit you with a little pepper sauce. Great. And you've got a delicious treat.

How amazing is that shit??

Offline Skadave

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05-16-2007, 12:46pm »
Here's my take on Marco and Pepe's mac and cheese.

It is the soupy variety and in my book (the book of skadave) it is not macaroni and cheese. Macaroni and Cheese should be baked, orange, and covered in bread crumbs. If it's not like that, it is cheese soup with noodles.

Now don't get me wrong, marco and pepe makes a great cheese soup with noodles, and i will continue to order it, but it is not macaroni and cheese.

Offline PhillyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05-16-2007, 12:20pm »
I really like marcopepe (that's what I call it -- too lazy for the ampersand).  And if you are not starving, you can get nice food in smaller portions for not-so-much money.  Also, and this is my favorite thing -- nobody else in JC (that I have found) is so generous with their pour. I think they might be up at 7-8oz for a glass of wine.  And good wine, at that.

Pork lovers out there, you must try the "BLT" on the bar menu (available at 4pm -- dinner starts at 530).  It was fantabulous the other day.  And of course the mussels and frites are quite good (although I might go with MC for the edge on those).  The mac and cheese, however, is out of this world.  I can't believe people even attempt to compare it to the watery stuff you get at Merchant.  I used to go to marcopepe once a week (when hub wasn't home for dinner) for a small mac and cheese, some sort of green on the side, and several glasses of Sancerre.  I sit at the bar and the bartenders tend to be just the right level of chatty but not invasive.  I've stopped the weekly practice (not good for the waistline) but I do still do it occasionally. It's one of my favorite JC things to do.

In conclusion, marcopepe is yummy, albeit pricey, but it's better than the places that are cheaper so . . .

Oh, and MCA, it is ". . . parties of fewer than 6."   ;D ;D
I want to live like a Saudi prince. Can you get me a tent, three wifes and a camel? -- JSQ, AtS

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05-16-2007, 12:03pm »
I'll brook no criticism from anyone but PhillyGirl and jennymayla on that.

Sexist.

Robin.
Sanctimonious bleater.

Offline NiceGuyEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05-16-2007, 11:52am »
Totally agree with M&P.  The missus and go there as a celebratory meal, whenever we feel the occasion requires a celebration.  Had one awful experience with what I can only assume was a brand new waiter.  90 minutes wait for our meal, brought us the wrong dishes, comped us dessert (which was nice), and then brought us the wrong desserts (which was not).  We still go back, but I'm a little wary now. 

For a cheaper option, go with the mussels appetizer with a side of fries and a good Belgium beer. mmmmmmm.
"I'd go over twelve percent for that."

AmbushBug

« Reply #9 on: 05-16-2007, 11:27am »
Fang and I also really like M&P. Yes, it can be super-expensive, but as a treat, it's a great way to spend a night. And it's cheaper than going to somewhere like Keen's or some other place in the city -- not only because you save the 3 USD on PATH fare, but because, let's face it, as ass-rapingly expensive as M&P is, it's still cheaper than similar places across the Hudson.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05-16-2007, 10:49am »
Nitpickers! To clarify, I wrote the blurb. I added the pro and con headings at the end, so I should've proofread it, but I'll brook no criticism from anyone but PhillyGirl and jennymayla on that. The revised should read:

"Consistently tasty New American food, albeit at NYC prices."

n.b. "NYC prices" just means higher than those of the average Jersey City eatery -- no more, no less. I will grant that the average price of a meal in JC has climbed over the last couple of years, so it may not stand out to recent transplants, but I remember a few years ago, when M&P had a ~$25 lobster entree that was, IMO, just completely out of step with the neighborhood and most of its clientele at the time. Maybe the sticker shock unconsciously strayed into my review.

« Last Edit: 05-16-2007, 10:52am by MCA »

Offline elgoodo

• Global Moderator
  • fuck a goddamn canadian rig count.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05-16-2007, 10:28am »
I added emphasis below.

How is that a PRO?  ???

That is truly bizarre.  What is this blurb from?
[06:11 PM]  fasteddie: jesus, this SB is deader than JC Vibe

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05-16-2007, 10:24am »
I added emphasis below.

How is that a PRO?  ???

I was thinking the same thing.  ;D

I've eaten dinner there about half a dozen times, other than a bit of a slowdown on really busy nights, I have no complaints on anything. I too like the smaller sized portion option, and the beer selection.

Sanctimonious bleater.

Offline worm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-16-2007, 10:09am »
It's all about the fries for me.

Offline bdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-16-2007, 10:03am »
I added emphasis below.

Pros: Consistently tasty New American food at NYC prices.

How is that a PRO?  ???
Bobblehead: Wow, BMWs, cameras, and anal probes. Are we in Berlin?

[10:33 AM] del ban Woodsy: You do that and I will wash your mouth out with summer's eve after I kick your ass jehu.

Darna: it's because my people spend much of their lives barefoot, so when they discover shoes, it's a party!

RB: i rubbed mine last night to be ready for tonight

Burroughs: Thank you for a country in which no one is free to mind his own business

Offline SamS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-16-2007, 09:51am »
I like their beer and wine selection, in addition to their music.  They use to have a great Chorizo omelet, but its no longer on the menu.
[Thu 12:46] <jennymayla> Where's kindelan?  I need Kindelan.

Meet Christian Singles In Your Neighborhood.

Offline skwirrlking

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-15-2007, 11:05pm »
huge fan of their version of mac and cheese - especially when the chef gets heavy handed with the white truffle oil. also like the option of tapas size or entree size for most dishes.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Marco & Pepe - CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: 05-15-2007, 10:55pm »
Marco & Pepe
289 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 860-9688

Pros: Consistently tasty New American food at NYC prices. Great for brunch, dinner, drinks and people watching. Outdoor space in good weather.
Cons: No reservations for parties of less than 6; closed Mondays.

« Last Edit: 05-10-2018, 11:30am by MA »

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Marco & Pepe - CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: 05-15-2007, 10:55pm »