Author Topic: Councilwoman wants changes to make Downtown streets safer for pedestrians  (Read 12674 times)

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
Both hands, baby, both hands.

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
    • What do you think about me?
Class-action suit waiting to happen.

I know someone whose car was totaled. I could imagine successfully arguing that the unmarked, oversize speed bumps were a hazardous situation create by the city.

You mean the damage to their car went undetected/undiagnosed, and they continued to operate it until the idiotwarning lights came on?  Good luck to them.

Yeah, who doesn't check their dipstick every mile or so?

I think CD rides around with his hand on his.
Sanctimonious bleater.

[Today at 01:02 pm] Darna: I have to pee motherfuckers

Offline devb

• View Profile

I know someone whose car was totaled. I could imagine successfully arguing that the unmarked, oversize speed bumps were a hazardous situation create by the city.

You mean the damage to their car went undetected/undiagnosed, and they continued to operate it until the idiotwarning lights came on?  Good luck to them.

Yeah, who doesn't check their dipstick every mile or so?

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
Jersey Journal columnist Earl Morgan reported that the company installing the speed bumps, Persistent Construction, suggested making them no more than six inches high, but the city asked that they be made taller to more effectively slow speeders.

Damn!  And yet it took me only two minutes to learn that NJDOT adopted the guidelines set by the Institute of Transportation Engineers, recommending an elevation of between 3 and 4.  ITE doesnt seem to mention insurance fraud or child safety, so at least the City has that part covered.

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile

Sanctimonious bleater.

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jersey City: Drivers can report speed bump damage, but 'speeders will not be rewarded'
The Jersey Journal
on September 23, 2014 at 9:04 AM, updated September 23, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Drivers whose vehicles have been damaged by what many people are calling excessively high speed bumps in Jersey City can report the damage to the city, but officials issued a stern warning -- "speeders will not be rewarded" and those who file a false claim will be prosecuted.

Not long after the city began installing speed bumps throughout the city to curb speeding on residential side streets, drivers took to social media to complain that no matter how slow you drive you risk your vehicle being damaged going over the speed bumps.

Drivers can register their complaints and claims through the Resident Response Center "and they will all be evaluated," Jersey City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said. "However, just because a vehicle has been damaged, speeders will not be rewarded.

"Just like insurance fraud is a crime, documents will be examined by police traffic investigators and anyone who knowingly submits incorrect documents will be prosecuted."

Jersey Journal columnist Earl Morgan reported that the company installing the speed bumps, Persistent Construction, suggested making them no more than six inches high, but the city asked that they be made taller to more effectively slow speeders.

Morrill said the city is investigating that claim.

As for the height of the speed bumps, Morrill said "They are high within regulation in order to deter speeding and make sure pedestrians are safe. We are protecting people, not cars."

More speed bumps will be installed over the next year, Morrill said, but she did not commit to a specific number.

An official with Persistent Construction said the company was inundated with calls from drivers last Wednesday trying to register claims, but the company is not handling the complaints.

A few days later an employee at the company said they would have no further comments on the speed bumps.

Morrill told The Jersey Journal last week the speed bumps were in response to requests by community groups who complained about speeding motorists.

"The city's number one priority is the safety of our residents, especially children," Morrill said last week. "That is why we have taken the proactive step of installing effective, permanent speed humps to reduce speeding on residential streets, with a focus on streets around schools."

The Resident Response Center can be reached at 201-547-4900.

Offline jehu

• View Profile
We should demand pedestrian bridges over Jersey Ave!!!
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
Sanctimonious bleater.

Offline devb

• View Profile
Since always. Stops traffic from 2nd going onto Jersey.

There is a stop sign on Jersey and 2nd.

Since when?

Uh, thanks for pointing that out, I guess?

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile

Since when?

and that slows down traffic on JERSEY AVE how?!

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL JEHU
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline stephen

• View Profile
I want to point out that in these recommendations (http://harsimuscove.org/news/harsimus-cove-association-priority-intersections-for-traffic-calming) we realized that getting too prescriptive about where stop signs should be and what specific solution should be sought may have unintended consequences. 

It's well known to residents that Erie and Jersey Streets are speeding corridors for motorists trying to improve their time to the Holland Tunnel. My concern in addressing any single intersection along these streets is that it won't appropriately factor in the aggregate issue. I urge planning to keep the macro issue in mind when addressing the micro issues we've highlighted above.

Offline jehu

• View Profile

Since when?

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline Bobblehead

• View Profile
With so many stop signs put up, it is having an unintended consequence: everyone now things that everyone else has to stop, so folks are pulling in front of cars that don't have stop signs. :getoffmylawn:
Sanctimonious bleater.

Offline stephen

• View Profile
Can I get a stop sign on Brunswick and 5th?

I want one on 3rd and Jersey, intersection with Lucky Laundry and Key Food.  Amazes me that a stop sign wasn't considered on this corner to slow traffic racing down Jersey between Newark and the light on 6th.

Where were you when we we drafted this?  http://harsimuscove.org/news/harsimus-cove-association-priority-intersections-for-traffic-calming

Offline devb

• View Profile

Since when?

Offline jehu

• View Profile

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile

I want one on 3rd and Jersey, intersection with Lucky Laundry and Key Food.  Amazes me that a stop sign wasn't considered on this corner to slow traffic racing down Jersey between Newark and the light on 6th. 
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline moelissa

• View Profile
[08:02PM] MacabreJS: I HAVE COOTIES

Online Binky

• View Profile
If you managed to stay half asleep, it must be fixed.
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I am please to report that as of 0530 the first hump has been milled down about 50% and the second hump is within guidelines, near as I can tell driving the DubMobile half asleep.

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
I haven't measured but I'll wager they are more than 3" tall

I know.  3-1/2" doesn't sound like much, but physics is physics.

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I haven't measured but I'll wager they are more than 3" tall

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
FWIW, it appears that NJDOT defers to the recommendations established by the Institute of Transportation Engineers:

http://www.ite.org/traffic/hump.asp

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I might add that at this very moment ther are two JCPD motorcycle officers working in front of the Cordero School (PS 37) on Erie just before 9th. It seems they are pulling over and writing violations for seat belts and cell phones. The cars I saw stopped had valid safety inspection sticker dates. Don't know how they could be enforcing the stop sign at Pavonia from 75 yards beyond,but they may have been capitalizing on the frustration of drivers' negotiating a stop sign at 8th, the mogul beyond and another stop sign at Pavonia.

Serious traffic calming overkill.  If the PA would enforce no right turn from Erie into the Holland without a JC Resident window sticker then maybe Erie (and the Village and HP) wouldn't have so many NY registered cars speeding thru intersections.

Addendum: at 6:00 pm there is a CBS-2 News mobile unit at 8th & Erie - mast down.
« Last Edit: 09-16-2014, 06:02pm by CeeDub »

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums