Author Topic: Expansion of Grove Plaza to Barrow Street  (Read 13327 times)

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jersey City expands Downtown pedestrian mall
« Reply #40 on: 05-22-2018, 02:08pm »

Jersey City expands Downtown pedestrian mall
Updated May 21, 8:29 PM; Posted May 21, 8:29 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald
The Jersey Journal

Jersey City expanded the popular Newark Avenue pedestrian plaza by about 500 feet on Monday, closing off vehicular traffic on the street between Jersey Avenue and Barrow Street.

The expansion will keep cars off the block until at least July 19. The city says after then it will determine whether to close it off permanently in the fall. The City Council has already approved borrowing $1 million to pay for raising the street, a playground and more if the larger plaza becomes permanent.

Jennifer Florencio was taking a break with her friend and their two children on the plaza outside Barcade on Monday afternoon. Florencio, 35, lives around the corner from the plaza and said it has become a regular stop for her.

"You can bring your kids and they can run around, you can go shop, you can have a drink, you can eat with all of them outside," she said.

The city closed Newark Avenue between Erie and Grove streets to vehicles in 2014. Read more

Online jehu

• View Profile
Re: Expansion of Grove Plaza to Barrow Street
« Reply #39 on: 09-08-2014, 04:09pm »
Cause it totally doesn't fit in with their argument...

At 3:00 PM when schools 3, 4, Lutheran parochial and the old school 3 which is now an adult school let out there is a standstill of traffic.  I am referring to Jersey Avenue from Newark Ave to the hospital. If there is an emergency in the Van Vorst community, how will emergency vehicles travel? Now that schools are open, we are back to a normal routine, not the summer when schools are closed. I remember an emergency on Van Vorst Park about 8 years ago, there was an electric fire that destroyed a building.  Thankfully, it was contained and did not spread but it took 6 to 8 firetrucks to put that out.

I asked earlier, but perhaps you missed it. What makes you think "the station near the Prep" isn't normally manned? Why can't the Newark Ave station use Brunswick to head south like they already do?
TheFang: yeah, i gotta agree with jehu here

Darna: we had a lovely shat with mrs binky this morning

stephen: Hmm I'm as clueless as you are.

Darna: could someone please splain to me why a person in a gang is called a gangbanger but a gangbang has nothing to do with gang activity?

shahaggy: can't believe I'm saying this but +1 jehu

[02:58 PM] MCA: it's not stalking, it's caring enough to find out things she won't tell you herself

[01:35 PM] shahaggy: fine but jehu's correct

TheFang: as much as it pains me to say, jehu might be right.

One time, I hired a monkey to take notes for me in class. I would just sit back with my mind completely blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, the teacher said, "Class, I want you to write a pape

Offline devb

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09-08-2014, 03:57pm »
At 3:00 PM when schools 3, 4, Lutheran parochial and the old school 3 which is now an adult school let out there is a standstill of traffic.  I am referring to Jersey Avenue from Newark Ave to the hospital. If there is an emergency in the Van Vorst community, how will emergency vehicles travel? Now that schools are open, we are back to a normal routine, not the summer when schools are closed. I remember an emergency on Van Vorst Park about 8 years ago, there was an electric fire that destroyed a building.  Thankfully, it was contained and did not spread but it took 6 to 8 firetrucks to put that out.

I asked earlier, but perhaps you missed it. What makes you think "the station near the Prep" isn't normally manned? Why can't the Newark Ave station use Brunswick to head south like they already do?

Offline Soshin

• "coal eating wangophange"
    • View Profile
    • Buddha in the beerglass
« Reply #37 on: 09-08-2014, 03:50pm »

The answer is obvious.  Close the schools.
"god hates you. you will all go to yuppie hell. in yuppie hell there is no starbucks or hole foods or sushi bar. in yuppie hell you will work 16 hours a day in a bodega. in yuppie hell your car will not start when the sweeper is coming down the street. in yuppie hell your doorman will terrorize you and have sex with your wife or husband...when you are at work....in the bodega. in yuppie hell you will go to the laundromat and lose your last quarter in a broken washing machine. in yuppie hell you will buy all your food and clothing at the 99 cent store. in yuppie hell there are no cell phones, you will use a pay phone. a filthy pay phone".      -   Cat_Man Dude

Offline speaknj

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09-08-2014, 03:46pm »
Speak NJ is a public access cable program that airs in Jersey City and Bayonne.  Mondays, Jersey City 10:30 PM and Tuesdays 9:00 PM, Channel 51. In Bayonne, channel 19, Tuesdays @ 9:00 PM

Offline devb

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09-08-2014, 11:10am »
With the traffic backup when Newark Avenue is closed, someone must speak about fire emergencies especially in the Van Vorst Neighborhood. The Newark Avenue fire station is used for any emergencies in that area.  The fire station near the Prep is normally not manned.

I'm sorry but you seem more knowledgeable than me. What makes you think "the station near the Prep" isn't normally manned? Why can't the Newark Ave station use Brunswick to head south like they already do?

Offline TheFang

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09-08-2014, 11:09am »
With the traffic backup when Newark Avenue is closed, someone must speak about fire emergencies especially in the Van Vorst Neighborhood. The Newark Avenue fire station is used for any emergencies in that area.  The fire station near the Prep is normally not manned.

I dunno, I walk by that station at several points during the day, (the one next to Prep on Grand that is) and there's people in there all time. Even had one of the firemen yell at a car that almost hit me crossing that crosswalk once. Nice guys.
"I can't help it, I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby." -- D.D.

Offline speaknj

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09-08-2014, 10:50am »
Speak NJ is a public access cable program that airs in Jersey City and Bayonne.  Mondays, Jersey City 10:30 PM and Tuesdays 9:00 PM, Channel 51. In Bayonne, channel 19, Tuesdays @ 9:00 PM

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09-08-2014, 10:36am »
For those interested, the Harsimus Cove Association is hosting the first of two planned community meetings to discuss the new Newark Avenue Pedestrian Plaza. Attending will be JCPD East District Captain Daniel Sollitti, Candice Osborne's aide Lauren Barbagallo and a representative from the Fulop administration to hear our feedback.

Some key points of discussion:

1. Street closures/Erie Street STOP painting
2. Rules for restaurants' outdoor seating
3. Amenities (bike racks, pingpong, etc)
4. Deliveries for residents/businesses
5. Handicap access
6. Signage for rules (no bicycles, etc)

The meeting is at Grace Church, 2nd St at Erie, 7:30pm tonight

Online Rabelais

• View Profile
Sison told The Jersey Journal that he and a few others gathered outside Newark Avenue restaurant Skinner's Loft told the men that the piano was meant to be free entertainment, not trash, and they left it behind.

The piano is now stored safely inside a construction area next to Skinner's Loft.

Honestly, one can hardly blame them, since the piano had been left out in the rain for hours by the time they came; at that point it wasn't so much "the mayor's piano" as "they mayor's soaking pile of wood and metal."

They have public pianos on the 16th Street Pedestrian mall in Denver and after a certain time of day they get locked up and covered.
"A certain time of day" should include said time when the weather is casing it irreparable damage, no?

Yes, bro. Calm down.

Don't call me bro, bro.
[02:35 PM] jehu: and the only people on here who gives good advice are few.

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile
Sison told The Jersey Journal that he and a few others gathered outside Newark Avenue restaurant Skinner's Loft told the men that the piano was meant to be free entertainment, not trash, and they left it behind.

The piano is now stored safely inside a construction area next to Skinner's Loft.

Honestly, one can hardly blame them, since the piano had been left out in the rain for hours by the time they came; at that point it wasn't so much "the mayor's piano" as "they mayor's soaking pile of wood and metal."

They have public pianos on the 16th Street Pedestrian mall in Denver and after a certain time of day they get locked up and covered.
"A certain time of day" should include said time when the weather is casing it irreparable damage, no?

Yes, bro. Calm down.

Online Rabelais

• View Profile

[02:35 PM] jehu: and the only people on here who gives good advice are few.

Offline Kindelan

• View Profile

Offline AmbushBug

• View Profile

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
:jeanlucpalm:

Jersey City mayor donates piano to pedestrian plaza; garbage men almost haul it away
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
on August 22, 2014 at 11:05 AM, updated August 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM

When Jersey City's pedestrian plaza on Newark Avenue opened on Tuesday, Mayor Steve Fulop bequeathed his piano to the area so musically inclined residents could bang out a number or two on the 88s.

Well, some guys almost walked away with the piano alright, but they weren't thieves: they were garbage haulers.

Twitter user Karl Sison captured a shot of three garbage men about to toss Fulop's upright piano inside a garbage truck late last night.

The pedestrian plaza is open from 3 p.m. to midnight on weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday.

Offline moelissa

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08-22-2014, 09:25am »
Yeah. But when?
[08:02PM] MacabreJS: I HAVE COOTIES

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08-21-2014, 03:22pm »
HOT MESS!! So many people everywhere!!

Eventually it'll get so crowded that nobody will go there any more.  :|

Offline moelissa

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08-21-2014, 01:46pm »
HOT MESS!! So many people everywhere!!

Offline moelissa

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08-19-2014, 05:33pm »
 :palm:

Online Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08-19-2014, 08:39am »
And the "NO TURNS" signs onto Barrow from Columbus work equally well.
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jersey City's first pedestrian plaza to open Tuesday
« Reply #19 on: 08-16-2014, 03:07pm »
It's happening, bitchez.

Jersey City's first pedestrian plaza to open Tuesday, street closures to go into effect
By Jonathan Lin | The Jersey Journal
on August 15, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Jersey City's first pedestrian plaza will open next Tuesday and will involve the closures of sections of Newark Avenue and Erie Street, city officials announced today.

Beginning next Tuesday, Newark Avenue from Grove Street to Barrow Street and Erie Street from Newark Avenue to Bay Street will be closed from 3 p.m. to midnight, Monday through Friday, officials said. On Saturday and Sunday, those sections will be closed all day, from 12 a.m. on Saturday to 12 a.m. on Monday, they said.

"We are excited for the creation of the new pedestrian plaza at Newark Avenue as this will provide our residents more opportunities to enjoy the great restaurants and cafes in the area and take in music and culture, while contributing to a sense of community," Mayor Steve Fulop said in a statement.

"The city has worked with the businesses in the area on the street closures and we will continue to monitor the pilot program to measure the impacts and benefits, but we view this is a largely positive addition to the area."

When interviewed last week about the pedestrian plaza, Ward C Councilman Rich Boggiano said he voted for it but still voiced his fears that it could make "horrendous" traffic in the city even worse. He emphasized that the plaza was only undergoing a trial period.

"We're going to see how well it works, and if there are problems, it's not going to happen again," he said. "If I get struck in traffic there, then I'll be the first one screaming and complaining."

Tens of thousands of people pass through the nearby Grove Street PATH plaza daily, and there are dozens of restaurants and shops in the Newark Avenue area in Downtown Jersey City, as well as a "thriving arts and cultural scene," officials said. Closing the sections of Newark Avenue and Erie Street will allow restaurants to set up outdoor dining and to create additional performance spaces, they said.

The area hosts more than a dozen outdoor concerts and performances annually through the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District's "Groove on Grove" concert series, JC Fridays and the Creative Grove Arts Market, according to a city press release.

If the Newark Avenue pedestrian plaza is successful, the city will look into implementing it in other parts of the city, Fulop said.

"It's always good for cities to try out new ideas," said Ward E Councilwoman Candice Osborne. "I think the Newark Avenue pilot will prove itself a win-win for small businesses, a win for pedestrians, and a win for the neighborhood."

On July 16, the Jersey City Council passed a second reading of the ordinance that will close the segment of Newark Avenue for the pedestrian plaza. In late June, the City Council tabled the ordinance amid some public outcry from residents and businesses.

Beginning Tuesday, a series of traffic pattern changes and parking restrictions will take effect on the streets in the neighborhood.

Barrow Street from Newark Avenue to Christopher Columbus Drive will change from a two-way street to a "one way" street, traveling south, and Bay Street from Newark Avenue to Erie Street will be reversed from a "one way west" to a "one way east."

To accommodate the disabled, a reserved parking space has been designated on the southeast corner of Barrow Street at Newark Avenue and at 333 Grove St. The reserved parking spaces will be open to any disabled person with proper disabled identification from the Motor Vehicle Commission displayed on their vehicle. The parking restriction will be in effect daily, from 10 a.m. to midnight.

To accommodate deliveries to and from Newark Avenue, a loading zone has been designated on the east side of Barrow Street, south of Newark Avenue, and at 339-341 Grove St. Both loading zones will be in effect daily, 10 a.m. to midnight.

Online MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Jersey City Council puts off vote on Newark Avenue pedestrian plaza
By Julie Kayzerman/ The Jersey Journal
on June 27, 2014 at 7:54 AM, updated June 27, 2014 at 7:55 AM

The Jersey City City Council voted to table an ordinance that would close a section of Newark Avenue to vehicular traffic and turn it into a pedestrian plaza after doctors, residents and shoppers alike made their voices heard at a meeting Wednesday night.

The ordinance was tabled by a vote of 5-1, with Councilwoman Diane Coleman and Councilman Khemraj "Chico" Ramchal not present in the room. Councilwoman Candice Osborne, of Ward E, who introduced the ordinance, was not in attendance at the meeting because of her son's graduation. Councilman Frank Gajewski was the sole vote against tabling.

It is unclear when the Council will vote on the plan again.

The proposed ordinance calls for closing Newark Avenue from Barrow Street to Grove Street and a stretch of Erie Street from Newark Avenue to Bay Street for a period up to Oct. 31, for the creation of a pedestrian plaza.

During the meeting, several residents and business owners voiced opposition to the plan, including Dr. Ronak Chinai of Grove Medical Associates, located at 135 Newark Ave.

"You're going to put patients' lives at risk," Chinai said of his patients, some handicapped and elderly, who will have to walk several blocks to reach his practice because they would no longer be dropped off in front.

He also said that by closing off those blocks, "you're basically eliminating 30 parking spaces," on a street with a high volume of vehicular traffic.

"It's supposed to be for welfare and safety, this will do the complete opposite," Chinai said of the ordinance. "Even if it's closed for certain hours, you can't expect my patients who are handicapped to be walking down to get to my office."

Newark Avenue optometrists Dr. Martin Siegel and Dr. Perry Savoy both agreed with Chinai's position.

"I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly (of Newark Avenue)," said Savoy, who started his practice in 1946. "I've spent too many years building it up to see it go by the wayside."

Resident Ann McGovern had concerns over the effect would be on Newark Avenue's small stores and restaurants.

"I'm a senior citizen who comes into Newark Avenue almost three to four times a week by cab," McGovern said. "I have arthritis in both knees and will not be able to go down to my favorite restaurants and shops."

Offline Frank M

• View Profile
It seems odd to have it start earlier on weekdays than on weekends. Certainly the Sat./Sunday brunch and event crowd is better at 10:00 am on weekends than, say, on a Monday. And it would be more beneficial for businesses to receive deliveries on weekdays until noon.

Did this story get the hours wrong?

I dont know the reason(s) why, but it would allow more time for weekend vendors, performers, and whatnot to drive in and setup their whatever.

Offline craigslistdiva

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06-04-2014, 12:49pm »
I think the extension is a wonderful idea!

I think it would be great to have summer evenings (maybe a Memorial Day to Labor Day thing) where they close down the streets on weekdays. Agreed, it might be over kill on regular weekdays when no one will use it. We could try a pilot program and start by doing Thursday nights thru Sunday nights pedestrian only access and see how popular it is.

They should also try and encourage more store fronts to open up on those blocks. It seems that the construction permits etc take forever and there are many empty fronts that could use a little TLC.

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

« Reply #16 on: 06-04-2014, 12:49pm »