Author Topic: Prato Bakery  (Read 8062 times)

Offline stephen

• View Profile

Offline DanL

• View Profile
Re: Prato Bakery
« Reply #18 on: 07-10-2015, 01:27pm »
wondering if this is related - proposed

Amendment to Jersey City Land Development Ordinance for

Chapter 345, Article I, Section 6.
Definitions

345-6.

CAFE A retail sales establishment engaged in selling of light meals and drinks where commercial kitchen appliances or ventilation systems are not permitted. Outdoor seating areas in the front and rear yard are permitted. Sidewalk cafes are permitted pursuant to Chapter 296, Article XII.

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07-09-2015, 09:56am »
to quote :fulop: Jersey City- Make it yours!
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline CeeDub

• Administrator
  • [Wed 12:33] <missa> thats it! CW IS BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07-09-2015, 09:48am »
Hey man, this is Jersey City. Rules are for other people.

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07-09-2015, 09:29am »
You are correct, stephen. Thanks for the clarification.
[02:35 PM] jehu: and the only people on here who gives good advice are few.

Online Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07-09-2015, 09:24am »
Thank you, Stephen.  That is often overlooked.
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07-09-2015, 09:22am »
stephen, are you suggesting that @candiceosborne caters to a "big brother" developer?

No, I'm referring to text in an earlier post below, "Prato ignored the requests to stop.  Prato may have some connection with a large developer in the area and intended to use them for support/cover."

I'm just a little nervous about everybody thinking with their emotions here. Zoning exists for a reason.

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07-09-2015, 09:21am »
stephen, are you suggesting that @candiceosborne caters to a "big brother" developer?

No, I'm referring to text in an earlier post below, "Prato ignored the requests to stop.  Prato may have some connection with a large developer in the area and intended to use them for support/cover."

Offline Rabelais

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07-09-2015, 09:16am »

@candiceosborne: so current zoning doesn't allow but clearly we need to find a solution for such a great small business
https://twitter.com/candiceosborne/status/619098653408501760

So let me get this right. Prato ignores zoning requirements and does what it wants, and finds a "big brother" developer to help with the strong-arming?  Yes, my assertion is ladened with assumptions, but I offer this as a sobering antidote to the non-questioning, ill-informed fawning of all those signing the petition and disparaging of those on the other side of the argument.
[02:35 PM] jehu: and the only people on here who gives good advice are few.

Offline stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07-09-2015, 09:14am »
@candiceosborne: so current zoning doesn't allow but clearly we need to find a solution for such a great small business
https://twitter.com/candiceosborne/status/619098653408501760

So let me get this right. Prato ignores zoning requirements and does what it wants, and finds a "big brother" developer to help with the strong-arming?  Yes, my assertion is ladened with assumptions, but I offer this as a sobering antidote to the non-questioning, ill-informed fawning of all those signing the petition and disparaging of those on the other side of the argument.

Offline Sue2dRescue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07-08-2015, 08:07pm »
:jeanlucpalm:
"If one studies too zealously, one easily loses his pants." -Albert Einstein

Offline stephen

• View Profile
Re: Prato Bakery might close
« Reply #8 on: 07-08-2015, 03:37pm »
3.)  They began construction on the backyard were told it was not permissible.  Prato ignored the requests to stop.  Prato may have some connection with a large developer in the area and intended to use them for support/cover.

:|

Offline devb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07-08-2015, 03:32pm »
 ???

Offline shahaggy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07-08-2015, 03:28pm »
maybe Prato should set up special seating in the pedestrian plaza for their patrons.
[04:53 PM] Soshin: I don't think I've ever had fig spread Darna but I like figs and they make my sphincter sing power ballads

[12:48 PM] Bobblehead: Yo, you know I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish, but soshin had one of the best meercat shouts of all time

[10:23 PM] skwirrlking: you submitting darna for beards eating cupcakes - mca?

[03:24 PM] Darna: [03:22 PM] jeht'aimeu: skw, you are climbing up my pole as well... 

[02:28 PM] propscene: I DPON"T MEAN I LOVE YOU DEEP INSIDE AS MUCH AS I LOVE HIM DEEP INSIDE OH GOD

[12:58 PM] nikki: i feel like i should like the opposite of whatever jehu says

Offline garyg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07-08-2015, 03:16pm »
What is the issue here?  There must be another side to this story.

This is how it was explained to me by an interested party.  This is their side of the story but the way everything is shaking out I believe them.

1.)  The owner of the Prato building previously attempted to build something in the backyard.  There was a dispute between the property owners over property lines.  The settlement stipulated that the space could not be used as a restaurant with out the explicit consent of the property owners in the back.
2.)  Prato is not zoned to contain a sit down type restaurant.  It is zoned similar to Torico's or Ahris as a grab and go kind of place.  They installed too many seats.
3.)  They began construction on the backyard were told it was not permissible.  Prato ignored the requests to stop.  Prato may have some connection with a large developer in the area and intended to use them for support/cover.
4.)  Once Prato continued construction, lawyers were called and the full settlement was enforced.

I'm not sure how the city could have allowed them to open while they were flouting the zoning, especially with near by businesses respecting the rules.

Offline vlahok01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07-08-2015, 09:42am »
I am sure there is, but I don't know the details. Bakery staff has let me know that this neighbor has refused to speak about the issue, that they placed a complaint as a result of the initiation of work on the back yard of the business that was taking place during approved hours, and that the issue is being taken to court. But yes, I am sure that there is more to the other side, and yet I think it would be a true shame to not find some common ground to keep Prato open.

Online Binky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07-08-2015, 09:33am »
What is the issue here?  There must be another side to this story.
nikki: i can't keep up with rab and his George Clooney lifestyle of drinking wine, playing music and philanthropy

Offline vlahok01

• View Profile
Prato Bakery might close
« Reply #2 on: 07-08-2015, 09:16am »
I love love loooove Prato Bakery, and think it is one of the better little places in our community. But when I went this morning, all their tables and chairs were gone! A dispute with a neighbor is causing some stir... I would be very sad to see the business go, and so I started a petition to support the business and to give the community a platform to express their support.

https://www.change.org/p/steven-fulop-steven-fulop-jersey-city-mayor-please-help-prato-bakery?recruiter=338943927&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive

If you would be upset to see this community jewel go, please sign it!

Offline MA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Prato Bakery
« Reply #1 on: 10-14-2014, 03:02pm »
Prato Bakery
61 Erie Street
Jersey City NJ 07302

Tuscan bakery in Harsimus Cove
« Last Edit: 07-08-2015, 09:34am by MCA »

Jersey City, NJ Community Forums

Prato Bakery